Start by marking “Don't Look Behind You!” as Want to Read:
Don't Look Behind You!

Peter Allison

Don't Look Behind You!

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  691 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Incredible true tales from a world-renowned safari guide and celebrated author

Romantic notions aside, being a safari guide isn’t always particularly enjoyable or glamorous. Quite often it is beset with challenges, like having to spend a night in a thorn tree with marauding hyenas below. But safari guide Peter Allison lives for such moments. Here, the author of the widely p

Published (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Look Behind You!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Look Behind You!

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I liked this author's first book a little better simply because there was a stronger focus on animals. This second book is very good, but there are a lot more stories about mechanical things (land mines, automobiles) and situations involving other humans (tourists, local authorities). There are also good animal stories, just not as many. Still an interesting and amusing book. You get to learn a little bit about a whole lot of different things in Africa: the culture, people, language, politics, a ...more
Jesse Cozean
Before I give my review of Don't Look Behind You!, I have to make two confessions that may color my response to Peter Allison's work. First, it was the first book I ever purchased, completely on accident, from Lyons Press. Secondly, I've been to Africa eight times and counting, and dreamed of dropping everything and moving there to watch animals and sunsets. So Peter, with his good taste in publishers and lifestyle choices, was a hero of mine before I even started reading.

That being said, I abso
Brittany
I got a little mixed up and read Don't Look Behind You!: A Safari Guide's Encounters with Ravenous Lions, Stampeding Elephants, and Lovesick Rhinos before Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide. But I get the sense it didn't matter very much which order you read them in, in much the same way it doesn't matter which order you read Tim Cahill's books in.

My first impression of this book was a bad one, due to someone monumentally clueless being in charge of designing the f
Rock Angel
This feels like a bunch of essays that didn't make the cut for Allison's first book ... sorry, I'm just not that into it. Perhaps I didn't see how a difficult water pump, a shark dive on his off-duty days, or his being thrown in jail b/c he didn't get a license had anything to do with preparing me for a safari. Perhaps the author forgot what it is that draws people to pick up the memoir of a safari guide in the first place (more animals, more animals!!) IMHO these personal accounts are more appr ...more
Jolene
I struggled with how to approach this review for the following reason. I think this is a very well thought out book and that it deserves some acknowledgement, but I honestly feel that I might have appreciated it more had I not enjoyed his first book so much, which is just frustrating. "Whatever You Do, Don't Run," gave this author a special place in my heart. When I read the first book, it was the perfect form of book therapy for what I was going through. He made me laugh at how ridiculous most ...more
Adite
I have read both books in this series and enjoyed them immensely. Peter Allison writes about his adventures in a funny, interesting, self-effacing manner that puts the reader bang in the middle of all the action. He has an innate ability to laugh at himself and inject humour into the most deadly of situations. And of course, his love for the animals is paramount. I look forward to reading more from Peter Allison.
Terry Smith
Peter's experiences in the bush are amazing. This volume has a few very sad stories and a lot of tense situations. Very glad he shared his life w/us.
Anny
I actually found this book less funny compared to Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide. The first book focused more on funny stories about animals, while this one focused more on turning points in the author's life. The book started with Peter's arrival in Africa, and the chapters progressed chronologically as we followed Peter's adventure across Africa. Not all the stories were humorous, some were sad or scary (Stompie, Kinky Tail, Twelve paces), but I love the last ...more
Danielle
Great second book for him. I found it just as funny as the first, just a little more heartwarming. Great read!
Giselle
Peter Allison is wonderfully witty and funny. He captures the marvel of nature in such a charming manner, showing that it is something that he is truly passionate about, and helping those who are not familiar with nature by explaining some of the humour behind his embarrassing situations. An easy read that kept me smiling.
Lori
I'm giving it a 4 because it was enjoyable, fun. I's not a gripping book, but full of short stories/memories that gave me a break after reading some historical fiction about slavery. It was a welcome break!
Denise
Peter Allison's second collection of stories about his time in Africa as a safari guide is a rare look at this intriguing lifestyle. What most people dream of doing for a week or two on vacation, Peter Allison lives. As you might expect, living with lions, leopards, elephants, and hippos, in addition to tourists, Allison has more than his share of adventures to relate. He does so with humor and love for his adopted country, always able to poke fun of himself and his rookie mistakes as a safari g ...more
Kathy
This is the second book I've read by Peter Allison about his adventures as a safari guide...this time in Botswana and in South Africa. It's laugh-out-loud funny and an excellent look behind the scenes at what goes on in the expensive safari camps where people pay the big bucks and absolutely expect to see certain animals in return. Mr. Allison's love for all creatures great and small is evident and his descriptions of many hair-raising, surprising and humorous incidents kept me turning the pages ...more
Laurel
It was OK, but had higher expectations.
Rosanne
Fun read about going on Safari by a safari guide. Good to read before you go on one!
Stacey
This is Peter's second (or maybe third) book.

Yet again we join Peter on his travels as a safari / tour / camp guide in Africa.

Similar to his previous book in some ways it documents his work, however this book focuses less on short little stories about the animals and is actually a bit more travel, taken from several camps in Africa.

Peter is Australian by birth and through his formative years. Much of the humour is Australian and follows in the footsteps of Peter Moore and Brian Thacker...
Gara Hudson
Loaned to Sharon 8/14
Wendy
Great book to read in preparation for going on an african safari. You get to see what life is like from a safari guide's point of view. I really liked learning that the guides can recognize different animals by their packs, personalities, and/or deformities (eg: kinked tail). I look forward to reading his first book now, same subject, different stories. Many of these stories made me laugh out loud; great, quick, informative, entertaining read.
Lynne
I loved this author's previous book, Whatever You Do, Don't Run, and I found this one pleasant but without the drive of the first one. More doings in Africa--snakes, elephants, other animals, other disasters, etc. I did find, since I'm researching Africa in general, that the camp he worked at most of the time was one of the most expensive. This is kind of unsettling, as he reveals dangers that the unsuspecting tourists are totally oblivious to.
Melissa Henderson
Reading this in prep of our August vacation!
Nicole
I would say it's an interesting read if you want to learn more about safaris (what to expect to see, how to live etc). I haven't read anything so far on this topic and thought that aspect was interesting. The book does seem to drag on a bit (telling story after story of encounters with animals, crazy/funny tidbits from the writer's tour guiding and management experience) and I found myself skimming the last third of the book.
Leo Polovets
I read the author’s other book, Whatever You Do, Don’t Run just before going on a safari last year, and I thought the writing was hilarious. Don’t Look Behind You! is deeper and more serious than its predecessor, but remains very entertaining. Where as Don’t Run made me laugh out loud repeatedly, Don’t Look Behind You! made me stop, smile, and think.
Gannonwb
Great book if you want to vicariously enjoy a safari. The author has a self deprecating style which serves to enhance the scary situations, since he's not a self promoter, the sections where he is in peril seem to ring true. Plus, he's funny and flawed and not trying to make you think he's the Croc Hunter. Both of his books are pleasant diversions.
Nicole
Another fun outing by Peter Allison on his many adventures as a safari guide in Africa. This is a sequel of sorts to his first foray into authorship ("Don't Run") but pretty much stands alone and individual chapters are largely autonomous. This is a quick read and if you cant afford a real safari, an enjoyable introduction to life in the bush.
Mike
Allison puts together a collection of stories about his time as an African safari guide, some pretty hair raising to read about but mostly entertaining. If you've read one book by an author with this type of experience, this one probably won't seem that different, but I thought it was a good way to spend a couple afternoons.
Catherine
Another great collection of stories from Allison’s adventures as a guide in Africa. He’s a very good storyteller.

I enjoyed his first book, “Whatever You Do, Don’t Run” just a bit more, perhaps because some of these stories, while new, had some similarities. Definitely worth reading if you enjoyed his first book.
Jackie
I was so taken with Mr. Allison's first book that the minute I found he'd written another one, I was off to find it. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I think the writing might have improved somewhat, Mr. Allison certainly can paint a vivid mental picture, and I love his sense of humor. What a fun read.
Christiane
More adventures from Allison, who left home as a young man and ran away to Africa to work as a safari guide. The best part, as in his other book, are the stories (sometimes funny, sometimes heart-breaking) of the animals. A wonderful read for anyone who's ever dreaming of going on a safari.
g-na
This Aussie-born adventurer tells tales of his years working in Africa guiding tourists to wildlife encounters. It's fun reading about many of these "behind-the-scenes" moments showing what it's really like living and working in the bush. Recommended for those who love wildlife and/or travel.
  • The Eye of the Elephant: An Epic Adventure in the African Wilderness
  • Soul of a Lion: One Woman's Quest to Rescue Africa's Wildlife Refugees
  • Tales of an African Vet
  • The Wilderness Family: At Home with Africa's Wildlife
  • Elephant Memories: Thirteen Years in the Life of an Elephant Family
  • Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched: Life and Lessons at the World's Premier School for Exotic Animal Trainers
  • The Elephant's Secret Sense: The Hidden Life of the Wild Herds of Africa
  • Being Caribou: Seven Months on Foot with an Arctic Herd
  • Carnivorous Nights: On the Trail of the Tasmanian Tiger
  • Zamba: The True Story of the Greatest Lion That Ever Lived
  • The Rhino with Glue-On Shoes: And Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets and their Patients
  • Babylon's Ark: The Incredible Wartime Rescue of the Baghdad Zoo
  • Born Wild: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Passion for Africa
  • Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives
  • Throwim Way Leg: Tree-Kangaroos, Possums, and Penis Gourds
  • The Company of Wolves
  • Journey of the Pink Dolphins: An Amazon Quest
  • The Species Seekers: Heroes, Fools, and the Mad Pursuit of Life on Earth
Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide How to Walk a Puma: And Other Things I Learned While Stumbling through South America David Adjaye: Houses; Recycling, Reconfiguring, Rebuilding David Adjaye: Making Public Buildings: Customization Imbrication Specificity Dollar Noncents