Start by marking “Don't Look Behind You!” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Don't Look Behind You!

Peter Allison

Don't Look Behind You!

Incredible true tales from a world-renowned safari guide and celebrated author

Romantic notions aside, being a safari guide isn’t always particularly enjoyable or glamorous. Quite often it is beset with challenges, like having to spend a night in a thorn tree with marauding hyenas below. But safari guide Peter Allison lives for such moments. Here, the author of the widely p

Published (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Look Behind You!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Look Behind You!

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I liked this author's first book a little better simply because there was a stronger focus on animals. This second book is very good, but there are a lot more stories about mechanical things (land mines, automobiles) and situations involving other humans (tourists, local authorities). There are also good animal stories, just not as many. Still an interesting and amusing book. You get to learn a little bit about a whole lot of different things in Africa: the culture, people, language, politics, a ...more
Rock Angel
This feels like a bunch of essays that didn't make the cut for Allison's first book ... sorry, I'm just not that into it. Perhaps I didn't see how a difficult water pump, a shark dive on his off-duty days, or his being thrown in jail b/c he didn't get a license had anything to do with preparing me for a safari. Perhaps the author forgot what it is that draws people to pick up the memoir of a safari guide in the first place (more animals, more animals!!) IMHO these personal accounts are more appr ...more
Jesse Cozean
Sep 11, 2012 Jesse Cozean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before I give my review of Don't Look Behind You!, I have to make two confessions that may color my response to Peter Allison's work. First, it was the first book I ever purchased, completely on accident, from Lyons Press. Secondly, I've been to Africa eight times and counting, and dreamed of dropping everything and moving there to watch animals and sunsets. So Peter, with his good taste in publishers and lifestyle choices, was a hero of mine before I even started reading.

That being said, I abso
Brittany
Feb 18, 2011 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got a little mixed up and read Don't Look Behind You!: A Safari Guide's Encounters with Ravenous Lions, Stampeding Elephants, and Lovesick Rhinos before Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide. But I get the sense it didn't matter very much which order you read them in, in much the same way it doesn't matter which order you read Tim Cahill's books in.

My first impression of this book was a bad one, due to someone monumentally clueless being in charge of designing the f
Jolene
May 15, 2014 Jolene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled with how to approach this review for the following reason. I think this is a very well thought out book and that it deserves some acknowledgement, but I honestly feel that I might have appreciated it more had I not enjoyed his first book so much, which is just frustrating. "Whatever You Do, Don't Run," gave this author a special place in my heart. When I read the first book, it was the perfect form of book therapy for what I was going through. He made me laugh at how ridiculous most ...more
Adite
Jun 21, 2012 Adite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read both books in this series and enjoyed them immensely. Peter Allison writes about his adventures in a funny, interesting, self-effacing manner that puts the reader bang in the middle of all the action. He has an innate ability to laugh at himself and inject humour into the most deadly of situations. And of course, his love for the animals is paramount. I look forward to reading more from Peter Allison.
Terry Smith
Mar 26, 2015 Terry Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter's experiences in the bush are amazing. This volume has a few very sad stories and a lot of tense situations. Very glad he shared his life w/us.
Anny
Dec 13, 2014 Anny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
I actually found this book less funny compared to Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide. The first book focused more on funny stories about animals, while this one focused more on turning points in the author's life. The book started with Peter's arrival in Africa, and the chapters progressed chronologically as we followed Peter's adventure across Africa. Not all the stories were humorous, some were sad or scary (Stompie, Kinky Tail, Twelve paces), but I love the last ...more
Danielle
Apr 02, 2014 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great second book for him. I found it just as funny as the first, just a little more heartwarming. Great read!
Liralen
I loved Whatever You Do, Don't Run, and I loved this as well—but I think the best story comes in the introduction, when Allison's describing going to the bank to deposit a check from the publisher for Don't Run. Suffice it to say that Don't Run is probably not the best thing ever to have printed on something you're handing over to a bank teller.

At any rate, mostly Allison's tales work so well because, while he'll grumble about other people every now and then, he mostly pokes fun at himself. It's
Kelli
Jan 28, 2016 Kelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Didn't want this recollection to end! Really felt like I was back on safari with him... what a character. (Although, I'm glad he was never MY guide with the scrapes he got himself into...!!!) Really great storyteller and is able to convey a) what it's like getting up close and personal with animals much bigger and stronger and cleverer than humans and b) his love for said animals. Enjoyed it so much I bought the sequel and read it on the same holiday!
Giselle
Peter Allison is wonderfully witty and funny. He captures the marvel of nature in such a charming manner, showing that it is something that he is truly passionate about, and helping those who are not familiar with nature by explaining some of the humour behind his embarrassing situations. An easy read that kept me smiling.
Lee Slater
Don't look Behind you! is more of a companion, rather than a sequel to Whatever You Do, Don't Run. Allison transports you to a camp fire in the Botswana bush with tales of wildlife, unruly guests and the general adventures associated with being a safari guide. Highly rated and genuinely hilarious Don't look Behind you! is one of my favourite books to re-read.
Lori
Oct 04, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving it a 4 because it was enjoyable, fun. I's not a gripping book, but full of short stories/memories that gave me a break after reading some historical fiction about slavery. It was a welcome break!
Denise
Oct 04, 2009 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter Allison's second collection of stories about his time in Africa as a safari guide is a rare look at this intriguing lifestyle. What most people dream of doing for a week or two on vacation, Peter Allison lives. As you might expect, living with lions, leopards, elephants, and hippos, in addition to tourists, Allison has more than his share of adventures to relate. He does so with humor and love for his adopted country, always able to poke fun of himself and his rookie mistakes as a safari g ...more
Kathy
Sep 04, 2011 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I've read by Peter Allison about his adventures as a safari guide...this time in Botswana and in South Africa. It's laugh-out-loud funny and an excellent look behind the scenes at what goes on in the expensive safari camps where people pay the big bucks and absolutely expect to see certain animals in return. Mr. Allison's love for all creatures great and small is evident and his descriptions of many hair-raising, surprising and humorous incidents kept me turning the pages ...more
Josh
Feb 28, 2016 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Good stories overall. Entertaining.
Laurel
Jul 12, 2014 Laurel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was OK, but had higher expectations.
Rosanne
Fun read about going on Safari by a safari guide. Good to read before you go on one!
Stacey
Feb 14, 2013 Stacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Peter's second (or maybe third) book.

Yet again we join Peter on his travels as a safari / tour / camp guide in Africa.

Similar to his previous book in some ways it documents his work, however this book focuses less on short little stories about the animals and is actually a bit more travel, taken from several camps in Africa.

Peter is Australian by birth and through his formative years. Much of the humour is Australian and follows in the footsteps of Peter Moore and Brian Thacker...
Gara Hudson
Loaned to Sharon 8/14
Wendy
Apr 22, 2011 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to read in preparation for going on an african safari. You get to see what life is like from a safari guide's point of view. I really liked learning that the guides can recognize different animals by their packs, personalities, and/or deformities (eg: kinked tail). I look forward to reading his first book now, same subject, different stories. Many of these stories made me laugh out loud; great, quick, informative, entertaining read.
Lynne
Apr 07, 2011 Lynne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this author's previous book, Whatever You Do, Don't Run, and I found this one pleasant but without the drive of the first one. More doings in Africa--snakes, elephants, other animals, other disasters, etc. I did find, since I'm researching Africa in general, that the camp he worked at most of the time was one of the most expensive. This is kind of unsettling, as he reveals dangers that the unsuspecting tourists are totally oblivious to.
Pam
Feb 09, 2016 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FUNNY stories of African animals/tourism/conservation/love of animals from a younger guy from Australia. I liked this one!
The author tells more stories of his adventures working at various safari camps in Africa. Most of them revolve around the animals he encounters including elephants, lions, cheetahs, snakes, and monkeys. Some are about his travels which are quite challenging since there are practically no marked trails once you leave the city. Maps are worthless and directions are vague, at best. I thought the tales in the book were entertaining.
Melissa Henderson
May 25, 2014 Melissa Henderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this in prep of our August vacation!
Nicole
Nov 05, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would say it's an interesting read if you want to learn more about safaris (what to expect to see, how to live etc). I haven't read anything so far on this topic and thought that aspect was interesting. The book does seem to drag on a bit (telling story after story of encounters with animals, crazy/funny tidbits from the writer's tour guiding and management experience) and I found myself skimming the last third of the book.
Itumeleng94
Jan 26, 2014 Itumeleng94 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read!
Leo Polovets
Jul 06, 2012 Leo Polovets rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the author’s other book, Whatever You Do, Don’t Run just before going on a safari last year, and I thought the writing was hilarious. Don’t Look Behind You! is deeper and more serious than its predecessor, but remains very entertaining. Where as Don’t Run made me laugh out loud repeatedly, Don’t Look Behind You! made me stop, smile, and think.
Gannonwb
Great book if you want to vicariously enjoy a safari. The author has a self deprecating style which serves to enhance the scary situations, since he's not a self promoter, the sections where he is in peril seem to ring true. Plus, he's funny and flawed and not trying to make you think he's the Croc Hunter. Both of his books are pleasant diversions.
  • The Eye of the Elephant: An Epic Adventure in the African Wilderness
  • Tales of an African Vet
  • Soul of a Lion: One Woman's Quest to Rescue Africa's Wildlife Refugees
  • Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched: Life and Lessons at the World's Premier School for Exotic Animal Trainers
  • The Elephant's Secret Sense: The Hidden Life of the Wild Herds of Africa
  • The Wilderness Family: At Home with Africa's Wildlife
  • Elephant Memories: Thirteen Years in the Life of an Elephant Family
  • Being Caribou: Seven Months on Foot with an Arctic Herd
  • Carnivorous Nights: On the Trail of the Tasmanian Tiger
  • The Rhino with Glue-On Shoes: And Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets and their Patients
  • Born Wild: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Passion for Africa
  • Throwim Way Leg: Tree-Kangaroos, Possums, and Penis Gourds
  • The Harmless People
  • Elephant Dance
  • Zamba: The True Story of the Greatest Lion That Ever Lived
  • 100 Heartbeats: A Journey to Meet Our Planet's Endangered Animals and the Heroes Working to Save Them
  • Born in the Big Rains: A Memoir of Somalia and Survival
  • The Ridiculous Race
Peter Allison is an Australian writer whose books have focused on his time as an African safari guide, as well as his time in South America. He grew up in Sydney but at the age of 16 won a scholarship for study in Japan.[1] At 19 he travelled to Africa and became a guide for the Classic Safari Company.

He currently lives in Cape Town with his wife Pru, and their pet dog Mombo, where he works for Wi
More about Peter Allison...