Start by marking “Autumnal Tints” as Want to Read:
Autumnal Tints

Autumnal Tints

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Two institutions of New England, our fall colors and Henry David Thoreau, are brought together in this posthumously published rumination on Nature. Autumnal Tints was originally published in the October 1862 Atlantic Monthly. "October is the month for painted leaves. Their rich glow now flashes round the world. As fruits and leaves and the day itself acquire a bright tint...more
Published October 1st 1996 by Applewood Books (first published January 1st 1906)

To ask other readers questions about Autumnal Tints, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Autumnal Tints

Rebecca by Daphne du MaurierThe Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan DoyleThe Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Bo HamptonWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëBlood on the Snow by David        Cook
Autumn Leaves
22nd out of 143 books — 64 voters
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Bo HamptonThe Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan PoeThe Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan DoyleThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
GoodReads for Autumn
18th out of 185 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Tom
Every fall, my partner and I pick a crisp sunny day to sit in her back yard, a pair of golden maple trees rising above us, the Blue Ridge Mountains visible on the horizon, and read aloud to each to each other from Thoreau's marvelous essay, "Autumnal Tints." I especially like the section "Fallen Leaves": "How many flutterings before they rest quietly in their graves!They that soared so loftily, how contentedly they return to the dust again, and are laid low, resigned to lie and decay at the foot...more
Justin
A wonderful meditation on the colors and character of autumnal New England.
Mike
Remarkably description of fall foliage. Would probably ring more true reading on a porch swing surrounded by trees changing color.
Dennis Noson
A beautifully done edition of one of Thoreau's later natural history essays... in praise and thanks for the phenomenon of New England's forest leaves turning passionate before the Fall.
Lachlan Pezet
"The trees are now repaying the earth with interest what they have taken from it. they are discounting. they are about to add a leaf's thickness to the depth of the soil. This is the beautiful way in which Nature gets her muck.....We are all richer for their decay."

A very strong contender for my desert Island book judging by how often I return to Thoreau's wonderful survey of the changing world.
Kathryn
This is a small book documenting the changes of the leaves to autumn colors. He took specific trees and or bushes and described the "bright tints in the order of which they present themselves". An interesting concept for a book. I didn't read this page for pages but read a little here and there. His descriptions made me feel as if the leaves were right in front of me.
Carrie
Thoreau is one of my favorite authors to read or to read about his short life. I thoroughly enjoyed the introduction to the book written by Robert D. Richardson. Therein, I learned much about Thoreau's life that either I was previously unaware of, or had simply forgotten. Then, Thoreau's essay was delightfully descriptive. This is a repeat read for Fall.
 ~☆ Alice♪♫
I just started this and it is such a pleasure to read. Henry David Thoreau was possibly more dazzled by fall color than I am as he writes about purple grasses in August. Of course he lived much further north where the maples turn scarlet.
Mark
The essay that introduces Thoreau's last magazine piece austutely shows how he comes to terms with his own death.

Interleaved art keeps you on the present as you read Robert Richardson's account of Thoreau's visionary synthesis.
Kristi
Thoreau's eloquent and evocative elegy to the Autumn of life as it is manifested in a New England Autumn. Stunning and breathtaking. Thoreau at his best.
Pablo Paz
Muy linda la descripción de los arces rojos
Megan
Beautiful. Perfect for October.
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Mikaela
Mikaela marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
pureheroine
pureheroine marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Catalina Terracotta
Catalina Terracotta marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Olga
Olga marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Isadora Zampol
Isadora Zampol marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Alceste
Alceste marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
klo
klo marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Jake Lightner
Jake Lightner marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Rahma.m
Rahma.m marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Henry David Thoreau (born David Henry Thoreau)was an American author, naturalist, transcendentalist, tax resister, development critic, philosopher, and abolitionist who is best known for Walden, a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings, and his essay, Civil Disobedience, an argument for individual resistance to civil government in moral opposition to an unjust state.

Thoreau's books,...more
More about Henry David Thoreau...
Walden Walden & Civil Disobedience Civil Disobedience and Other Essays (Collected Essays) Thoughts from Walden Pond A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers/Walden/The Maine Woods/Cape Cod (Library of America #28)

“We cannot see anything until we are possessed with the idea of it, take it into our heads, - and then we can hardly see anything else.” 3 likes
“Beauty and true wealth are always thus cheap and despised. Heaven might be defined as the place which men avoid.” 0 likes