Autumnal Tints

Autumnal Tints

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Two institutions of New England, our fall colors and Henry David Thoreau, are brought together in this posthumously published rumination on Nature. Autumnal Tints was originally published in the October 1862 Atlantic Monthly. "October is the month for painted leaves. Their rich glow now flashes round the world. As fruits and leaves and the day itself acquire a bright tint...more
Published October 1st 1996 by Applewood Books

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan DoyleThe Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Bo HamptonRebecca by Daphne du MaurierWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëFahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Autumn Leaves
21st out of 135 books — 45 voters
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Bo HamptonThe Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan PoeThe Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan DoyleThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
GoodReads for Autumn
18th out of 183 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Tom
Every fall, my partner and I pick a crisp sunny day to sit in her back yard, a pair of golden maple trees rising above us, the Blue Ridge Mountains visible on the horizon, and read aloud to each to each other from Thoreau's marvelous essay, "Autumnal Tints." I especially like the section "Fallen Leaves": "How many flutterings before they rest quietly in their graves!They that soared so loftily, how contentedly they return to the dust again, and are laid low, resigned to lie and decay at the foot...more
Justin
A wonderful meditation on the colors and character of autumnal New England.
Mike
Remarkably description of fall foliage. Would probably ring more true reading on a porch swing surrounded by trees changing color.
Dennis Noson
A beautifully done edition of one of Thoreau's later natural history essays... in praise and thanks for the phenomenon of New England's forest leaves turning passionate before the Fall.
Lachlan Pezet
"The trees are now repaying the earth with interest what they have taken from it. they are discounting. they are about to add a leaf's thickness to the depth of the soil. This is the beautiful way in which Nature gets her muck.....We are all richer for their decay."

A very strong contender for my desert Island book judging by how often I return to Thoreau's wonderful survey of the changing world.
Kathryn
This is a small book documenting the changes of the leaves to autumn colors. He took specific trees and or bushes and described the "bright tints in the order of which they present themselves". An interesting concept for a book. I didn't read this page for pages but read a little here and there. His descriptions made me feel as if the leaves were right in front of me.
Carrie
Thoreau is one of my favorite authors to read or to read about his short life. I thoroughly enjoyed the introduction to the book written by Robert D. Richardson. Therein, I learned much about Thoreau's life that either I was previously unaware of, or had simply forgotten. Then, Thoreau's essay was delightfully descriptive. This is a repeat read for Fall.
 ~☆ Alice♥♥
I just started this and it is such a pleasure to read. Henry David Thoreau was possibly more dazzled by fall color than I am as he writes about purple grasses in August. Of course he lived much further north where the maples turn scarlet.
Mark
The essay that introduces Thoreau's last magazine piece austutely shows how he comes to terms with his own death.

Interleaved art keeps you on the present as you read Robert Richardson's account of Thoreau's visionary synthesis.
Pablo Paz
Muy linda la descripción de los arces rojos
Megan
Beautiful. Perfect for October.
Laycie K
Laycie K marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Iva Lačňáková
Iva Lačňáková marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
T And
T And added it
Jul 04, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Sudeep
Sudeep marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Stevie
Stevie marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Anna Coulter
Anna Coulter marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Henry David Thoreau (born David Henry Thoreau)was an American author, naturalist, transcendentalist, tax resister, development critic, philosopher, and abolitionist who is best known for Walden, a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings, and his essay, Civil Disobedience, an argument for individual resistance to civil government in moral opposition to an unjust state.

Thoreau's books,...more
More about Henry David Thoreau...
Walden Walden & Civil Disobedience Civil Disobedience and Other Essays (Collected Essays) Thoughts from Walden Pond Walden and Other Writings

“We cannot see anything until we are possessed with the idea of it, take it into our heads, - and then we can hardly see anything else.” 3 likes
“Beauty and true wealth are always thus cheap and despised. Heaven might be defined as the place which men avoid.” 0 likes