Start by marking “Vlad the Impaler: The Man Who Was Dracula” as Want to Read:
Vlad the Impaler: The Man Who Was Dracula

Vlad the Impaler: The Man Who Was Dracula

From the bestselling author illustrator team of the 9/11 Report: A Graphic Adaptation comes the truly gory tale of the historical Dracula
The Dracula myth has sparked a legacy of endlessly entertaining creepy tales. The fictional character, originally penned by Bram Stoker, was inspired by and named after a real-life fiend[Prince Vlad Dracula, the fifteenth-century ruler
Published October 15th 2009 by Plume Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Vlad the Impaler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vlad the Impaler

James Walters
This was disappointing. The art was pretty good but the story was definitely lacking. What started out as an interesting and historically accurate story basically turned into: "This is Vlad. He likes to kill men and have sex with women. Sometimes he impales people on sticks. He's kind of a mean guy. The end."
Thomas Edmund
Some of the artwork is redeemable is this GRAPHIC novel, however the cheesy ridiculous narrative (see the epilogue) ruins the story and the lack of character depth makes one feel they are just looking at some doodles inspired by a boring historic summary
Seth Morris
Jan 26, 2013 Seth Morris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As poorly drawn as it was written.
Grigori Cross
Feb 08, 2016 Grigori Cross rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My only experience with Vlad the Impaler has been as a polarizing figure: when I search for the most evil men in history, he never fails to be on the list. On the other hand, it seems the Romanian people view him as a national hero. I don't take the former lightly, but I have to admit that I quite like the figures in history who have a dark atmosphere around them. It's with this attitude that I chose to enjoy this short graphic novelette.

Throughout the story, I had to question the way many of th
L-Isabella
Oct 20, 2011 L-Isabella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, this is a hardcover comic book about the historical figure, Vlad Tepes. If you want to read about sparkly vampires, go elsewhere.

The artwork in this book, with amazing color and graphic, almost calls to mind the art of 'Watchmen'. During scenes of fighting, when called for to explain the history & story of Vlad, is brilliant.

Hence, this book is not only a sight for the eyes, but also the mind. The information contained is seemingly properly researched, gives us the story of Vlad,
Aimeekay
Oct 28, 2012 Aimeekay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I picked this one up for part of the Manga/Graphic Novel/Video Game Novel 2012 Challenge that I am participating in. Let me just say it is short, but it was good. Not the best Dracula story I’ve ever read but it did have quite a few interesting aspects that I hadn’t heard before. The story itself moves quickly. It gives the details of the history of Vlad the Impaler without getting caught up in itself, or swamping the reader with information.
Then there is the artwork, very graphic. The detail
Slayermel
Nov 17, 2009 Slayermel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is interested in Vlad the Impaler
This is the tale of Vlad the Impaler put into the form of a Graphic Novel. It was actually a very fast way to go through the historical tale and it was quite gruesome. I have decided that I do want to learn much more about Vlad and his role in history. I have always been fascinated by Vampires and Dracula and would love to know much more of how this man became tied to that legend.

In the book it takes us to the beginning where Vlad and his brother Radu are given to the Sultan by their Father Vla
Amy
Yikes! This was intense. Lots of blood and gore. From what I skimmed of the Wikipedia article on Vlad the Impaler, this seemed to follow the trajectory of his reign fairly accurately. I wonder about the relationship with his brother, though, and how accurately it was represented in the comic. Like, did they have a hand-to-hand combat showdown that resulted in Radu claiming the rulership of Wallachia? That's the thing about non-fiction comics; there's always going to be some amount of artistic in ...more
Orion
Jan 27, 2012 Orion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a graphic novel that is not for the squeamish. In telling the story of Vlad III, Prince of Wallachia, the authors created 64 panels of carnage, 15 are visuals of impalements. Of course, people who read the life of Vlad Dracul are expecting bloodshed. He was a violent man in violent times. The book portrays the historical events and gives the reader some insight into the forces that shaped Vlad's personality. Battle in the 15th Century was bloody and brutal. Hand-to-hand combat with sword ...more
Philharmonic EightThirty
Vlad makes vampires look like angels! So Dracula is real? Apparently so. This graphic novel version of the the actual "Dracula" delivers an easy way to absorb history. If there is one thing that Vlad and vampires have in common, It's got to be "Blood". So. Much. Blood. A very brutal depiction and description of one of history's most terrible terrorists!

Blood, sex and religion
London Mays
Apr 28, 2013 London Mays rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
A great graphic novel about Vlad the Impaler or Vlad III Dracula it basicly tells of his life from childhood to adulthood ascended the throne of Wallachia. This book is very graphic with gory sceans and has nudity, would not snuggest this book for young readers and those that cant stomic this kind of stuff. Nevertheless a great book for those who want to know the history and tale about this person.
Nick
May 23, 2013 Nick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic_novels
Mediocre writing, at times just plain stupid, mediocre art, at times just plain bad, but nice to have an illustrated version in all its gory, if perhaps not entirely accurate detail. A captivating story which should have been written and illustrated by different people than these two. Definitely a step or two below their Che Guevara Bio.
Licha
Aug 01, 2013 Licha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic
Not quite about Dracula the vampire. This is more the historical story of Vlad the Impaler. The grapchis are very gory and well...graphic. The story was a bit choppy for me and I felt like I didn't really get to know the whole story behind Vlad. Not a complete waste, but not as cohesive as I would have liked.
Tyrell Warner
Jul 24, 2012 Tyrell Warner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Those who rate down a book just because of sex and graphic violence are the same kind of folks who would have supported burning heavy metal albums in the 80s or picketing at the screenings for Exorcist in the 70s. It's really quite sad.

History is full of violence- these sort of works are little more depraved than the holy bible that people instruct their children to read from every night.
BookCupid
Bloody, dark, and disturbing. But so was the life of prince Vlad. The author did a good job describing why Vlad grew up to become such a temperamental man. However his relationship with his wive seemed unlikely. Why would Vlad, a man who showed no loyalty to anybody in his life, allow her to deny him time after time without recurring to violence?

Jessica
Nov 28, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was very dark, it is definitly not a light read. Its tells the story of Vlad Dracula and is not for the faint of heart. It felt like a history lession in an easy to read format. I really enjoyed the writing style and the graphic art designs.
Freyja Vanadis
Jun 27, 2010 Freyja Vanadis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people over age 18 who are interested in Vlad the Impaler
I loved this book! The illustrations are incredible, and the story told me more about Vlad than I ever knew. The drawings are very bloody and gory, with several sex scenes thrown in for good measure, but rather than being offensive and gratuitous, I feel it adds to the overall story.
jen
Nov 19, 2016 jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What did I just read?

And why did I read it? The narrator's voice was annoying. It might have been better if the POV had been different it was like first person that should have been 3rd.
Matthew
All the details of Vlad Tepes are here so this is thorough. OTOH, as it is a bit graphic with both the violence of the times (to be expected) and sex (less expected), the chances of this being used in a class context are quite slim.
Brian
Jul 14, 2016 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This isn't a great way to learn much about Vlad the Impaler. The storytelling is twitchy and poor, and the art is inconsistent and a bit sloppy. It attempts to be both historical work and thrilling narrative and didn't succeed much at either.
Dorcas
May 12, 2010 Dorcas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was so gory I couldn't even anything while or after I read it. There was some interesting history here, but the over-the-top violent images got in the way.
Richie, The
Dec 27, 2013 Richie, The rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did I learn something while I read this? I guess I'll have to start studying up on my creepy Eastern European history...
Cws
Feb 04, 2010 Cws rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This boo gives a wonderful and mostly accurate historical account of this intriguing man. It is really appropriate for children given the large amounts of gore and sex in it.
Edward Sullivan
An gruesome introduction to the inspiration for the vampire we all know and love. Gore galore! For mature audiences.
Miroku Nemeth
Gruesome and full of gratuitous sex and violence, but nonetheless helpful in providing some context for the historical Vlad Dracul.
DangerPup
Read this in one day. Decent storytelling. The art jumps around in style, quality a bit too much for me. The portion where Count Dracula was brought in confused me.
V.V.
V.V. rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2013
Tony
Tony rated it it was ok
Nov 04, 2013
Mr. Smidl
Mr. Smidl rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2013
Aaron Fegley
Aaron Fegley rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Requiem Vampire Knight Vol. 1: Resurrection and Danse Macabre (Requiem Vampire Knight #1)
  • The Great Gatsby: A Graphic Adaptation by Nicki Greenberg of the Novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Vlad the Impaler: The Real Count Dracula
  • Coyote's Daughter
  • Random Magic
  • The Broadcast
  • Altered
  • Veiled Innocence (The Soul Cycle, #1)
  • Bandits
  • Coffee at Little Angels
  • You Will Call Me Drog (Carolrhoda)
  • Crogan's March (The Crogan Adventures #2)
  • The Annotated Northwest Passage