Start by marking “Unhallowed Ground (Harrison Investigation #7)” as Want to Read:
Unhallowed Ground (Harrison Investigation #7)

Unhallowed Ground (Harrison Investigation #7)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,473 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
When Sarah McKinley is finally able to buy and restore the historic Florida mansion she always loved, she dismisses the horror stories of past residents vanishing and a dead housekeeper who practiced black magic. Then she makes a grim discovery. Hidden within the walls of Sarah's dream house are the remains of dozens of bodies--some dating back over a century.

The door to t
Published October 1st 2009 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Unhallowed Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unhallowed Ground

Barbara ★
Heather Graham has always been hit or miss with me. This one is great until the very end where the bad guy suddenly "comes out of the closet" rather abruptly. It almost seemed as if the characters weren't getting to the correct conclusion fast enough, so the author just throw the confession out there. This would have had a 5 star rating except for the ending.

Out-of-towner Caleb Anderson is in St. Augustine searching for two women gone missing a year apart. Caleb is a paranormal investigator usua
Ashley Logan
Nov 13, 2009 Ashley Logan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great little ghost story. When Sarah buys her historic house and begins to renovate it, she finds out that there are bones in the walls. Along with that comes a ghost and the handsome new guy in town. She must find out more history on the house to try and figure out what happened in her house, and why there are girls in town disappearing. I really loved the history in this book. It was really interesting to read the memoir excerpts in the novel from the women of the past. It is a good ...more
Paula Gardner
Mar 30, 2013 Paula Gardner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just started reading this author and I love her so far. This book was one of those I had a hard time putting down for the evening. The story was captivating, the characters were wonderful. I thought I knew "who done it" until it was revealed, and I was wrong. Very well written. Gotta get the rest in this series. Great book, but give yourself a lot of time to read it as you will not want to put it down.
Shanon
The story was interesting but I didn’t feel involved with the characters. They are all so flat. I had a hard time keeping the secondary characters straight – which is a shame since they play such an integral role in the end. The villain came out of left-field and was rather disappointing.

meh... it was just okay. I won't be recommending it to others – either to read it or stay away from it.
Louisa
Oct 19, 2015 Louisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book, great mystery, and who the bad turned out to be! Though the mystery of who put the bodies in the walls wasn't definitively figured out, we don't know for sure who did it!
Amy
Jun 21, 2014 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had to give the second star because the premise was interesting enough that I read it all the way through, but this book was badly written. The author had some real problems with continuity, pacing, and how the characters spent their time while the author was trying to tell the story. I thought the characters were inconsistent and the ending was unconvincing.

On the plus side, as other reviewers have said, I was totally intererested in the history. I thought the male lead was the most dimension
Christine
Nov 20, 2014 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Hallowed Ground" is much better than average for what it is--a paranormal bodice-ripper in an intriguing historical setting with appealing characters. It resembles an engaging Nancy Drew or Trixie Belden book for grownups. It is Book 7 in the Harrison Investigation Series, about a company whose investigators have talents for communicating with the dead and other aspects of the paranormal, often in historic settings.

In "Unhallowed Ground," a group of friends, including several historians who are
Lindsay Boitnott
Oct 02, 2014 Lindsay Boitnott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read Unhallowed Ground before I started writing reviews. I loved it. I re-read it a few months ago and I still enjoyed it even after approaching it with a reviewer's mindset. Heather Graham is great at ghost stories, and from what I can tell, good with the romance genre. I enjoy Unhallowed Ground for the ghost story; I invite all romance readers to chime in with their opinions!

Unhallowed Ground tells the story of Sarah, a young historian living in St. Augustine, Florida. She is happily w
Susan
Jan 01, 2010 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I enjoyed this book. The story was intriguing and the setting was someplace I'd like to visit one day (minus the killings). It took a little while to keep all the characters straight and toward the end I had to stop reading to think for a minute who I was reading about.

There are just a few minor picky things I did not like about this book. This may contain spoilers so read further at your own risk. I got tired of hearing that the house was not evil, just the people and the evil they brought. See
Heather L
Nov 16, 2015 Heather L rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rom-suspense, 2009
I cannot, in all good consciousness, give this book a high rating. I have read others by this author and under this publisher, and liked what I read. With this book...sigh. I was intrigued by the premise. The prologue pulled me in. But then you couldn't go five pages without an editing error smacking you in the face and pulling you out of the story. The poor editing (or in this case, apparent lack thereof) that has, unfortunately, become synonymous with certain publishers these days is my bigges ...more
Tara
Maybe I'm getting accustomed to the romance genre, but I found it to be fairly interesting. The first 100 pages, which is where they lay the groundwork for the mystery, was a bit slow in parts, but the characters were appealing aside from the fact that the girl always seems to despise the guy at the beginning. I am just over the whole women are expected to be bitches thing, and I think it's possible to write strong women who aren't bitches. However, the story was very intriguing. The owner has b ...more
Paraphrodite
Jul 31, 2012 Paraphrodite rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
In this latest offering, the hero is actually an investigator of Harrison Investigation who doesn't believe in ghosts, until he sees a ghost that looks exactly like himself.

Although I like a mystery that keeps the reader guessing until the very end, I do have a criticism about this series on the eventual revelation of the killer(s). (view spoiler)

Still, another good read.
Dora
Aug 25, 2015 Dora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah McKinley is a historian and docent at a historical site in St. Augustine, FL. She has been fortunate enough to purchase a historical mansion in need of lots of repair. Sarah has ignored the stories linking her home and the Civil War era housekeeper who was hanged as a witch after many young women in the area had disappeared. She had also purportedly cursed the house. After finding many skeletons entombed in the walls of her home while looking for a plumbing leak, Sarah is beginning to wond ...more
Sandi Willis
Jan 30, 2015 Sandi Willis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good suspense novel by Heather Graham. Caleb Anderson is sent to St. Augustine, FL. to find a missing girl. Instead he finds Sarah McKinley, and more dead bodies than one can imagine. He is called a corpse magnet, which does seem appropriate for the amount of dead bodies he does seem to find. He works for the same company of investigators that are found in Graham's "Dead Room" and "Death Dealers" novels. There is a lot of interesting history about St. Augustine that I never knew about an ...more
Maria

3. Ghost Walk (2005)
4. The Vision (2006)
5. The Seance (2007)
6. The Dead Room (2007)
7. The Death Dealer (2008)
8. Nightwalker (2009)
9. Unhallowed Ground (2009)
Shannon
This book was actually pretty good, I didn't guess who "done it" right away. The only complaint I have is that the ending was wrapped up way to quickly, some parts of the story were left unanswered and there was no real follow-up.
Kimberly
Sep 12, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up on a trip to Orlando. I had no idea it was book number 7, and have yet to read the others. But, even late into the series, I very much enjoyed this book.
Pam Koenig
Jun 19, 2015 Pam Koenig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason I'm giving this 4 stars, is I didn't realize it was part of a series. That being said, the story was the first in a long time, where I only developed a idea regarding the killer, the ending surprised me. Wandering, century old ghosts, murder and mayhem kept me reading till I finished, stopping only for dinner. I was lent the book, and now that I know about the series, I know I want to read the rest. I have been reading stories by the author for years, going back to the Harlequin ...more
Jenn Konkel
Mar 09, 2015 Jenn Konkel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book had so much promise, but after the prologue just fell flat on its face. I honestly don't understand how this author could have over 100 books written. The pacing and continuity were awful, the main characters were very one dimensional, and Graham has an annoying habit of telling, rather than showing action. And the big twist ending? There was no indication whatsoever that this person was the killer, nor any reason given for it. It was not guessable because it wasn't in any way shape or ...more
Maura
BookNerdette
Apr 13, 2014 BookNerdette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
Cindi
Nov 21, 2009 Cindi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the PR in this book's front says, "There are good reasons for Graham's standing as a best-selling author". So true! Unhallowed Ground continues her tradition of romance, suspense, mystery & the paranormal.

Historian Sarah McKinley finally has purchased the tumbled-down Colonial mansion that she's always wanted to restore for a B&B. St. Augustine, Florida is a 400+ year old city with tourism much like New Orleans, and like New Orleans, she is aware of all the ghost stories attached to h
nurmawati

sarah yg baru pindah ke rumah antik kaget dengan ditemukannya ratusan kerangka di balik dinding perpustakaannya yg mau dia restorasi....
ternyata rumah tempat sarah tinggal punya cerita msalalu yg berhubungan dengan pembunuhan berantai, penyihir dan gadis2 yg menghilang dan gak pernah ditemukan seratusan tahun lamanya...

caleb semacam detektif swasta yg ditugaskan oleh bos nya buat mencari anak temen bos nya yg menghilang selama 6 bulan tanpa kabar berita...
caleb pergi menyelidiki ke kota tempat s
Randy Daugherty
Feb 07, 2013 Randy Daugherty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah has bought her dream home in historic St.Augustine Fl,and is in the middle of remodeling it.
At this time a girl has gone missing and this is not the first, Caleb Anderson has come down from Va to try and discover what happened to a girl who went missing here or on her way here a year ago.
Then bones are found in the walls of Sarah's house, not just one skeleton but several, dating back to a hundred years ago.
There is a strong attract between Sarah and Caleb as each try's to unmasked and und
CJ - So, you wanna play with magic?
A decent romance thriller that follows along the same vein as the Dead Room as it does involve the Harrison Investigators and there are supernatural elements to this story.

The flavor of the Old South,voodoo, black magic and the Civil War is infused in this light read. Caleb Anderson, an investigator of the Harrison Investigation service is sent down to St. Augustine to look for a missing kid and subsequently finds himself looking for another missing girl. He is more or less a corpse magnet and h
Rebecca
I was looking for a creepy murder mystery that would give me a bit of a scare and Unhallowed Ground wasn't too bad. It was creepy but it wasn't overly creepy. I did enjoy it though.

I liked the story line of Unhallowed Ground. I don't normally read adult murder mysteries and this one happened to have a supernatural twist which made it even more interesting. It definitely gave the creepy factor quite a few points.

None of the characters were overly outstanding but they weren't ghastly at all either
Rebekah (Silver Lily) James
Ok, I usually like Heather Graham, and this was no exception, but it wasn't up to her usual level. Normally I love the paranormal aspect of her mysteries, and the fact that she manages to write without needing vampires to make her paranormal, well paranormal. There are some really interesting side plots here that could have been far better developed, and of course a couple of steamy sex scenes.

This book felt a little unfinished to me, and I wonder if, as is too often the case, the usual rules of
Felita Hardigaloeh
Sarah, sudah lama mengidam2 kan punya rumah antik. secara passion nya di sejarah amerika. tau rumah idamannya dijual, langsung deh ama Sarah dibeli dan di renov. tapi penemuan belasan kerangka manusia di dinding rumahnya mengacaukan segalanya

sementara Caleb, datang ke kota Sarah tuk mencari gadis yang hilang. sejak pertama kali ngeliat rumah Sarah, ada pesan kuat di mana Caleb ga bisa ninggalin gitu aja. apalagi kasus ditemukan kerangka dan wanita cantik sang pemilik membuat Caleb berniat memeca
Linda Koerber
Sep 11, 2010 Linda Koerber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: july
(Originally posted http://book-addicts.com/blog/2010/08/...)

This was one of those books that was extremely difficult for me to put down. It’s a story that had so many twists and turns and an ending that left me feeling like I got hit with a two by four. I thought I had the mystery figured out and then WHAM! I got hit upside the head with a surprising twist that had me refusing to put the book down until the story wrapped up into its wonderful conclusion.

There are two main characters in this book
Susan
When Sarah McKinley is finally able to buy and restore the historic Florida mansion that she has always loved, she dismisses the horror stories of past residents vanishing and a long-dead housekeeper who practiced black magic. Then, in the midst of renovations, she makes a grim discovery. Hidden within the walls of Sarah's dream house are the remains of dozens of bodies—some dating back over a century.The door to the past is blown wide open when Caleb Anderson, a private investigator, shows up a ...more
  • The Awakening (Vampire, #5)
  • Slow Burn
  • Out of Body (Court of Angels, #1)
  • A Stranger's Touch (Psychic Triplet Trilogy, #2)
  • The Chick and the Dead (Pepper Martin, #2)
  • Waking Evil (Mindhunters, #2)
  • Tempting Fate
  • Blood Sins (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #11)
  • Night Secrets (T-FLAC, #13)
  • The Prophet (Graveyard Queen, #3)
  • Tempting Evil (Prison Break Trilogy, #2)
  • Superstition
Also published as Heather Graham Pozzessere and Shannon Drake.

New York Times and USA Today best-selling author Heather Graham majored in theater arts at the University of South Florida. After a stint of several years in dinner theater, back-up vocals, and bartending, she stayed home after the birth of her third child and began to write, working on short horror stories and romances. After some tria
More about Heather Graham...

Harrison Investigation (8 books)
  • Haunted (Harrison Investigation, #1)
  • Ghost Walk  (Harrison Investigation, #2)
  • The Vision (Harrison Investigation, #3)
  • The Dead Room (Harrison Investigation, #4)
  • The Seance (Harrison Investigation, #5)
  • The Death Dealer (Harrison Investigation, #6)
  • Nightwalker (Harrison Investigation, #8)