Start by marking “Unhallowed Ground (Harrison Investigation #7)” as Want to Read:
Unhallowed Ground (Harrison Investigation #7)

Unhallowed Ground (Harrison Investigation #7)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  2,107 ratings  ·  163 reviews
When Sarah McKinley is finally able to buy and restore the historic Florida mansion she always loved, she dismisses the horror stories of past residents vanishing and a dead housekeeper who practiced black magic. Then she makes a grim discovery. Hidden within the walls of Sarah's dream house are the remains of dozens of bodies--some dating back over a century.

The door to t
Published October 1st 2009 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Unhallowed Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unhallowed Ground

Barbara ★
Heather Graham has always been hit or miss with me. This one is great until the very end where the bad guy suddenly "comes out of the closet" rather abruptly. It almost seemed as if the characters weren't getting to the correct conclusion fast enough, so the author just throw the confession out there. This would have had a 5 star rating except for the ending.

Out-of-towner Caleb Anderson is in St. Augustine searching for two women gone missing a year apart. Caleb is a paranormal investigator usua
Ashley Logan
This is a great little ghost story. When Sarah buys her historic house and begins to renovate it, she finds out that there are bones in the walls. Along with that comes a ghost and the handsome new guy in town. She must find out more history on the house to try and figure out what happened in her house, and why there are girls in town disappearing. I really loved the history in this book. It was really interesting to read the memoir excerpts in the novel from the women of the past. It is a good ...more
Paula Gardner
I just started reading this author and I love her so far. This book was one of those I had a hard time putting down for the evening. The story was captivating, the characters were wonderful. I thought I knew "who done it" until it was revealed, and I was wrong. Very well written. Gotta get the rest in this series. Great book, but give yourself a lot of time to read it as you will not want to put it down.
Shanon
The story was interesting but I didn’t feel involved with the characters. They are all so flat. I had a hard time keeping the secondary characters straight – which is a shame since they play such an integral role in the end. The villain came out of left-field and was rather disappointing.

meh... it was just okay. I won't be recommending it to others – either to read it or stay away from it.
Amy
I had to give the second star because the premise was interesting enough that I read it all the way through, but this book was badly written. The author had some real problems with continuity, pacing, and how the characters spent their time while the author was trying to tell the story. I thought the characters were inconsistent and the ending was unconvincing.

On the plus side, as other reviewers have said, I was totally intererested in the history. I thought the male lead was the most dimension
Susan
I enjoyed this book. The story was intriguing and the setting was someplace I'd like to visit one day (minus the killings). It took a little while to keep all the characters straight and toward the end I had to stop reading to think for a minute who I was reading about.

There are just a few minor picky things I did not like about this book. This may contain spoilers so read further at your own risk. I got tired of hearing that the house was not evil, just the people and the evil they brought. See
Tara
Maybe I'm getting accustomed to the romance genre, but I found it to be fairly interesting. The first 100 pages, which is where they lay the groundwork for the mystery, was a bit slow in parts, but the characters were appealing aside from the fact that the girl always seems to despise the guy at the beginning. I am just over the whole women are expected to be bitches thing, and I think it's possible to write strong women who aren't bitches. However, the story was very intriguing. The owner has b ...more
Paraphrodite
In this latest offering, the hero is actually an investigator of Harrison Investigation who doesn't believe in ghosts, until he sees a ghost that looks exactly like himself.

Although I like a mystery that keeps the reader guessing until the very end, I do have a criticism about this series on the eventual revelation of the killer(s). (view spoiler)

Still, another good read.
Maria

3. Ghost Walk (2005)
4. The Vision (2006)
5. The Seance (2007)
6. The Dead Room (2007)
7. The Death Dealer (2008)
8. Nightwalker (2009)
9. Unhallowed Ground (2009)
Shannon
This book was actually pretty good, I didn't guess who "done it" right away. The only complaint I have is that the ending was wrapped up way to quickly, some parts of the story were left unanswered and there was no real follow-up.
Christine
"Hallowed Ground" is much better than average for what it is--a paranormal bodice-ripper in an intriguing historical setting with appealing characters. It resembles an engaging Nancy Drew or Trixie Belden book for grownups. It is Book 7 in the Harrison Investigation Series, about a company whose investigators have talents for communicating with the dead and other aspects of the paranormal, often in historic settings.

In "Unhallowed Ground," a group of friends, including several historians who are
Kimberly
I picked this book up on a trip to Orlando. I had no idea it was book number 7, and have yet to read the others. But, even late into the series, I very much enjoyed this book.
Lindsay Boitnott
I first read Unhallowed Ground before I started writing reviews. I loved it. I re-read it a few months ago and I still enjoyed it even after approaching it with a reviewer's mindset. Heather Graham is great at ghost stories, and from what I can tell, good with the romance genre. I enjoy Unhallowed Ground for the ghost story; I invite all romance readers to chime in with their opinions!

Unhallowed Ground tells the story of Sarah, a young historian living in St. Augustine, Florida. She is happily w
Tresa da BookNerdette
Cindi
As the PR in this book's front says, "There are good reasons for Graham's standing as a best-selling author". So true! Unhallowed Ground continues her tradition of romance, suspense, mystery & the paranormal.

Historian Sarah McKinley finally has purchased the tumbled-down Colonial mansion that she's always wanted to restore for a B&B. St. Augustine, Florida is a 400+ year old city with tourism much like New Orleans, and like New Orleans, she is aware of all the ghost stories attached to h
nurmawati

sarah yg baru pindah ke rumah antik kaget dengan ditemukannya ratusan kerangka di balik dinding perpustakaannya yg mau dia restorasi....
ternyata rumah tempat sarah tinggal punya cerita msalalu yg berhubungan dengan pembunuhan berantai, penyihir dan gadis2 yg menghilang dan gak pernah ditemukan seratusan tahun lamanya...

caleb semacam detektif swasta yg ditugaskan oleh bos nya buat mencari anak temen bos nya yg menghilang selama 6 bulan tanpa kabar berita...
caleb pergi menyelidiki ke kota tempat s
Randy Daugherty
Sarah has bought her dream home in historic St.Augustine Fl,and is in the middle of remodeling it.
At this time a girl has gone missing and this is not the first, Caleb Anderson has come down from Va to try and discover what happened to a girl who went missing here or on her way here a year ago.
Then bones are found in the walls of Sarah's house, not just one skeleton but several, dating back to a hundred years ago.
There is a strong attract between Sarah and Caleb as each try's to unmasked and und
CJ - let me hold both your hands in the holes of my sweater
A decent romance thriller that follows along the same vein as the Dead Room as it does involve the Harrison Investigators and there are supernatural elements to this story.

The flavor of the Old South,voodoo, black magic and the Civil War is infused in this light read. Caleb Anderson, an investigator of the Harrison Investigation service is sent down to St. Augustine to look for a missing kid and subsequently finds himself looking for another missing girl. He is more or less a corpse magnet and h
Rebecca
I was looking for a creepy murder mystery that would give me a bit of a scare and Unhallowed Ground wasn't too bad. It was creepy but it wasn't overly creepy. I did enjoy it though.

I liked the story line of Unhallowed Ground. I don't normally read adult murder mysteries and this one happened to have a supernatural twist which made it even more interesting. It definitely gave the creepy factor quite a few points.

None of the characters were overly outstanding but they weren't ghastly at all either
Rebekah (Silver Lily) James
Ok, I usually like Heather Graham, and this was no exception, but it wasn't up to her usual level. Normally I love the paranormal aspect of her mysteries, and the fact that she manages to write without needing vampires to make her paranormal, well paranormal. There are some really interesting side plots here that could have been far better developed, and of course a couple of steamy sex scenes.

This book felt a little unfinished to me, and I wonder if, as is too often the case, the usual rules of
Felita Hardigaloeh
Sarah, sudah lama mengidam2 kan punya rumah antik. secara passion nya di sejarah amerika. tau rumah idamannya dijual, langsung deh ama Sarah dibeli dan di renov. tapi penemuan belasan kerangka manusia di dinding rumahnya mengacaukan segalanya

sementara Caleb, datang ke kota Sarah tuk mencari gadis yang hilang. sejak pertama kali ngeliat rumah Sarah, ada pesan kuat di mana Caleb ga bisa ninggalin gitu aja. apalagi kasus ditemukan kerangka dan wanita cantik sang pemilik membuat Caleb berniat memeca
Linda Koerber
(Originally posted http://book-addicts.com/blog/2010/08/...)

This was one of those books that was extremely difficult for me to put down. It’s a story that had so many twists and turns and an ending that left me feeling like I got hit with a two by four. I thought I had the mystery figured out and then WHAM! I got hit upside the head with a surprising twist that had me refusing to put the book down until the story wrapped up into its wonderful conclusion.

There are two main characters in this book
Susan
When Sarah McKinley is finally able to buy and restore the historic Florida mansion that she has always loved, she dismisses the horror stories of past residents vanishing and a long-dead housekeeper who practiced black magic. Then, in the midst of renovations, she makes a grim discovery. Hidden within the walls of Sarah's dream house are the remains of dozens of bodies—some dating back over a century.The door to the past is blown wide open when Caleb Anderson, a private investigator, shows up a ...more
Apzmarshl
Nov 24, 2009 Apzmarshl rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Apzmarshl by: Karen Snook
Sarah has recently returned to her home town and purchased the home she has coveted since her youth. The historic home is in one of the oldest cities in Florida, and is ripe with ghost lore and history. Sarah finds herself in the middle of a ghost story and possibly the target of a serial killer. The walls of her beloved home are filled with dead bodies from ages past. Her nights are haunted by a historical ghost that just happens to look like the handsome detective Caleb Anderson (yum). Her day ...more
Kristen
This was a good outing by Heather Graham. The story, while not shockingly original, was full of twists, turns, and red-herrings designed to keep you guessing about who the villians are.

This has Graham's signature - ghosts from the past helping those in the present - in evidence, and there is a nice romance, which is also a staple in Graham's books.

One of the things I particularly liked about this book was that it was set in St. Augustine, Florida, which is the oldest continuously inhabited city
JTony
I disliked this novel. It was a bad romance tale, full of cliché, with mysterious events mixed in. I didn't care about the mystery. I didn't care about the characters. And I certainly didn't care about the ham fisted romance glopped in on top of it all. I don't remember finishing the book except for the relief I felt at finally being done. I cannot recommend this book to anyone and suggest you avoid it.
Jamie
I liked Heather Graham's books back when she wrote historical romance and I was hardcore into reading romance novels, so when I saw this at the store, I bought it on a whim. And hey, I'm a fan of supernatural romance novels, so I figured what the hell. Must say I was very disappointed (except for the very cool creepiness of finding bones in the walls of her house). Way too much padding of dialogue and scenes, not nearly creepy enough, except for the bones, and ideas that were introduced and then ...more
Brian Steele
This barely constitutes horror, but with the addition of Harrison Investigations and a house full of skeletons... well, I thought it appropriate. I have really mixed feeling about this book; so much I liked, so much I didn't.

I loved the concept of Harrison Investigations. I dug the pseudo-supernatural elements. I really enjoyed the casual, realistic dialogue among the friends. But...

The relationship between the two main characters seemed quite forced. There was quite a bit of running around and
Loraine Alcorn
Unhallowed Ground takes place in Historic St Augustine which I use to live in when I was caring for my father . I still go there all the time and live only 30 mins away so I thought I would read this ghost story about it and found it to be a nice spooky book on the tame side . This story is about a woman named Sarah McKinley who is restoring one of the older houses in St Aug . upon renovating she finds a lot of bodies hidden in her walls literally had the ghosts that come with them . if you like ...more
Ann
Loved this book! It's the second one I've read by Heather Graham. I found myself getting so immersed in the story that I didn't realize how much time was passing. This one is #7 in the Harrison Investigations series (didn't know that when I started). It made perfect sense and I didn't feel lost without the previous books. Adding those stories to my TBR list for sure.

Reading this book as a writer, I found excellent examples of things that are missing in my first novel WIP. I'd read through a cha
  • Dead By Dusk (Vampire, #6)
  • The Chosen (The Legend Chronicles, #3)
  • Chill of Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #8)
  • Make Her Pay (Bullet Catcher, #8)
  • Out of Mind (Court of Angels, #2)
  • Tombs of Endearment (Pepper Martin #3)
  • Night Secrets (T-FLAC, #13)
  • Running Hot (Arcane Society, # 5)
  • In Seconds (Bulletproof, #2)
  • The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen, #2)
  • A Stranger's Touch (Psychic Triplet Trilogy, #2)
Also published as Heather Graham Pozzessere and Shannon Drake.

New York Times and USA Today best-selling author Heather Graham majored in theater arts at the University of South Florida. After a stint of several years in dinner theater, back-up vocals, and bartending, she stayed home after the birth of her third child and began to write, working on short horror stories and romances. After some tria
More about Heather Graham...
Ghost Walk  (Harrison Investigation, #2) Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers, #1) Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1) Ghost Shadow (Bone Island Trilogy, #1) Haunted (Harrison Investigation, #1)