Start by marking “La torre della solitudine” as Want to Read:
La torre della solitudine

La torre della solitudine

Nella notte dei tempi un popolo osò sfidare Dio. E la Torre della Solitudine, persa tra le dune, è l'ultima testimonianza di quella sfida, ma è anche la promessa di un portentoso evento. Per ritrovarla, per scioglierne l'indicibile mistero, tre uomini si avventurano nel cuore del Sahara. Un archeologo che insegue le tracce di suo padre, un colonnello della Legione Stranier ...more
Paperback, Oscar Bestsellers #784, 308 pages
Published May 6th 1997 by Mondadori (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about La torre della solitudine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La torre della solitudine

Fortunr
meh... a bit too cartoonish and Indiana-Jonesy for my taste.

Ultimately, a disappointment - I was hoping something better from the same author of "The last Legion" (which, historical inaccuracies notwithstanding, was a really good historical fiction book).

Definitely forgettable.
Daavid
Feb 23, 2016 Daavid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of adventure genre
This was my first book-read written by Mr. Manfredi.
Although, not the kind of typical historical-fictions that I have known about his writings, I liked this one and most certainly enjoyed it.
The story is a mix of adventure, decently fast-paced sort-of thriller, includes a science-fictional element, and also a historical fiction (takes place in the early 1930s).
Locations range from the Vatican and Milan in Italy, to Aleppo and Palyma in Syria, and the Sahara Desert. Loved the locations. :D
It seem
Panos Mangan
Don't be too harsh on the book. Before comparing it to Dan Brown and other contemporary literature, bear in mind that it was written in the 80s, long before the Da Vinci Code madness.
Elena Angelini
Aug 26, 2015 Elena Angelini rated it did not like it
Mi aspettavo molto di più da un autore che avevo apprezzato in precedenza. L'inizio crea grandi aspettative, alimentate da un intreccio di eventi e personaggi che promettono un prosieguo avvincente. Invece i personaggi rimangono appena abbozzati e la storia corre troppo precipitosamente verso un finale scontato e un po' deludente. Il linguaggio è troppo lezioso in alcuni passaggi, in altri le frasi rimangono un po' monche come se non fossero state rilette (per la verità ci sono anche parecchi re ...more
Chiara Lilith
Oct 28, 2014 Chiara Lilith rated it did not like it
Che delusione! Prometteva benissimo, invece alla fine si è rivelato un fiasco totale. Gli eventi corrono, le situazioni si complicano e risolvono troppo in fretta e troppo banalmente. Come film sarebbe stato bellissimo, come libro è tremendo. I personaggi sono stereotipati, tranne padre Boni e padre Hogan, che sono forse gli unici realistici, con le loro riflessioni sulla fede, la sofferenza che provano nel metterla alla prova. Però gli altri sono i classici di un film d'avventura fatto male e t ...more
Tim Maidment
An ambitious story that doesn't quite manage to gel together. Every occult mystery checkbox of the recent past gets ticked in a "throw in the kitchen sink" kind of way and I liked the central conceit - but the execution just didn't quite work for me
Sam
Dec 25, 2008 Sam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historic-fiction
Was bad ,i suggest skipping this one
فرهاد ذکاوت
I liked the plot of Manfredi's fantasy in this book. I believe that many books can be written in much less words than they published. I have read some books more than 450 pages (better to say over 500 pages) that clearly help a better contract between author and publisher. But there are few books and authors that their books can be better in more words.

What happens here in The Tower is exactly latter case! This book could be full of fantasy and adventure with details. But exactly at critical poi
lynne naranek
May 08, 2010 lynne naranek rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Having stumbled upon the movie The Last Legion (but being a bit disappointed in it), I was intrigued by the fact that The Tower of Solitude was penned by the guy who wrote The Last Legion, so picked this up for a read.

Meh.

Perhaps because it's a translation, but wow there was so much exposition and dialogue, most of which was so verbose I started to skim over passages rather than subject myself to it all.

As such, what might have been a fascinating/entertaining read became a chore.

Didn't help tha
All Mota
Sep 07, 2014 All Mota rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
well, is suspense and secrets from the beginning till the end, and really easy to read, you get quickly obsessed, well I did, is a epic fake-history novel, with fight mistery suspense and even a little time to romance, with a search of a son for his father and the power of family is the key of the hole movie.
David Campton
This is the proof of the statement "never judge a book by it's cover". Bought this from a second hand stall to read on a bus, on the basis of having enjoyed Manfredi's Alexander trilogy, and the Roman helmet and sword on the front, which made me think it would be one of the historic novels that I am partial to. However, this was more like Dan Brown does Indiana Jones, only without the whip-cracking pace that Brown generates with his bite-sized chapters. Lots of unbelievable plot twists and coinc ...more
Lisa
Jul 17, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent read but strange at times and felt like the ending was a little wanting.
Velvetink
Oct 21, 2014 Velvetink marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
1 of 20 for $10 20/1014
Ernesto
Nov 07, 2013 Ernesto rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This novel reads like a mix between the hypothetical script for an Indiana Jones movie (complete with alternate pre-WWII Dieselpunk setting, (view spoiler) and (view spoiler) and DanBrown-ish religious conspiracies with the ubiquitous “convergence” between religion and science, etc. Entertaining at moments but hardly original.
Gabriella
Sep 04, 2015 Gabriella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Come sempre, Manfredi e il suo romanzo d'investigazione storica non deludono mai. Una storia senza tempo intrecciato nella vita dei nostri protagonisti. Peccato per la fine, era tutto poco chiaro e non si sa esattamente la fine di alcuni personaggi, dopo un intero romanzo avrei preferito che, per tutti i personaggi, fosse chiara la fine.
Ma in fondo l'ho ampiamente apprezzato
Nathan
Jan 19, 2012 Nathan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A blend of The Da Vinci Code and The Mummy films, at least in the auihor's mind. In reality this was a fairly confued mess. Some nice concepts, some poor exposition and characterisation and an abrupt, confusing ending that didn't really resolve anything. There was a brief flicker of what might have been in the middle section, but it fell away. A shame. But quick. 1/5
David Stringer
I've enjoyed some of Manfredi's books in the past, always consider him one of my favourite historical fiction authors! But afraid this one doesn't really work for me, this is a simplistic 'Indiana Jones' type story which get's a little boring and has a strange ending. Shame.
Anirudh
The end i felt was obscure and didn't conclude the story it was one of those where you know how it's going to end just reading to see how's it's going to plan out but even that failed to impress me . But good enough for a lazy days read.
macartain
Feb 22, 2012 macartain rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sub-dan-brown! Pretty tough going... Reads more like 'young adult fiction' except you know this isn't what he was aiming for.. Anyway, even 'young adults' would scoff at some of the plot turns..
Gianfranco Di Campli
Oct 23, 2009 Gianfranco Di Campli rated it did not like it
Romanzo confuso con continui flashback al passato per provare a costruire una struttura narrativa che sembra dover crollare da 1 momento all'altro.
Sulla falsa riga di Indiana Jones
Terry Grayson
as a fan of manfredi i look forward to this book but it was not very good as you have seeen it all before
Mighty
Apr 23, 2009 Mighty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cool book that Beast shared with me... AN Italian author writing a story about adventures in the Sahara that beast purchased while in Japan... Very International.
Releanna
May 28, 2012 Releanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I gave up on this book at page 150something as I got more and more bored. The characters weren't interesting, the story is kind of confused and not at all what I expected
bleeding fangs
Feb 19, 2013 bleeding fangs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i don't care what people think of this book, I loved reading it.

non importa cosa pensa la gente di questo libro, ho amato la lettura.
Manuela
Nov 25, 2010 Manuela rated it liked it
Shelves: storico
Interessante e coinvolgente, a tratti misterioso ed onirico. Me lo ricordo quasi come un trip mentale.
Chris The Story Reading Ape
While it was a good book it was not as good as some others by Manfredi, disappointing from him.
Ashish Jaituni
A good book but certainly not good as some others by Manfredi.
Ken
Jan 12, 2009 Ken rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good airport read, rather ran out of steam at the end.
Giorgio
Sep 30, 2012 Giorgio rated it liked it
***1/2
Libro d'avventura che mi appassionò tantissimo!
Bettie☯
  • Il tradimento
  • Creatures of the Kingdom
  • Siege
  • 117 Days: An Account of Confinement and Interrogation Under the South African 90-Day Detention Law
  • Romanzi e racconti - vol. 1
  • Myths: Tales of the Greek and Roman Gods
  • Una questione privata
  • High Citadel
  • The Kingdom of Light (Dante Alighieri, #3)
  • Il Consiglio d'Egitto
  • Un filo di fumo
  • Nicolas Eymerich, inquisitore
  • The Legacy (Legacy, #1)
  • Il matematico impertinente
  • Roma 40 d.C. Destino d'amore
  • The Music of Pythagoras: How an Ancient Brotherhood Cracked the Code of the Universe and Lit the Path From Antiquity to Outer Space
  • Icefire
  • Lovely Green Eyes
Valerio Massimo Manfredi (born 1943) is an Italian historian, writer, archaeologist and journalist. He was born in Piumazzo di Castelfranco Emilia, province of Modena and is married to Christine Fedderson Manfredi, who translates his published works from Italian to English. They have two children and live in a small town near Bologna.
Valerio Massimo Manfredi defines himself as an "Ancient World To
More about Valerio Massimo Manfredi...