Start by marking “Painting Below Zero: Notes on a Life in Art” as Want to Read:
Painting Below Zero: Notes on a Life in Art

Painting Below Zero: Notes on a Life in Art

From James Rosenquist, one of our most iconic pop artists—along with Andy Warhol, Jim Dine, Claes Oldenburg, and Roy Lichtenstein—comes this candid and fascinating memoir. Unlike these artists, Rosenquist often works in three-dimensional forms, with highly dramatic shifts in scale and a far more complex palette, including grisaille and Day-Glo colors. A skilled traditional ...more
Published October 27th 2009 by Knopf (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Painting Below Zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Painting Below Zero

John Hood
Dec 26, 2009 John Hood rated it it was amazing
Bound Miami SunPost December 3, 2009

Life as a Billboard

James Rosenquist Recounts the Massiveness

John Hood

Anyone who’s had the distinct pleasure of seeing James Rosenquist’s seminal “F-111” knows first-hand that scale doesn’t come any grander. Concocted with an alchemist’s sleight of hand and a ruthlessly contemporary eye, his 10’ x 86’ masterstroke is not only one of the boldest works of American art ever produced, it’s one of the most iconic. “F-111” also
Kathleen Hulser
Jul 17, 2010 Kathleen Hulser rated it really liked it
Straight from the brush. At this point, Rosenquist has a career as long as F-111, and in his charmingly direct voice he narrates his bilboardungsroman from Minnesota to Aripeka. I've always loved his explosive colors that so contradicted his deadpan pop imagery making it smack, crackle and pop. It's fascinating to read about his thought process as he worked on commissions such as one from French PM Mitterand in 1998, the 50th Anniversary of Eleanor Roosevelt's Universal Declaration of Human ...more
Rey Dekker
Jul 04, 2015 Rey Dekker rated it really liked it
Sort of zany and discombobulated, like the author. Met him back in the late 80's in Florida and he was interesting and twitchy; nothing changes. Good background information on the Pop Art movement though seems a little "name droppy" at times (Castro, etc.; sort of like a Forrest Gump character). Still a fun read (I burned through it in a couple of days) and the color plates of his artwork are very nice.
Patrick
Sep 14, 2012 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite contemporary artists. Down to earth story of his life growing up on the prairie then a brief stint at the u of mn before his billboard painting career in NYC gave him his niche. Rosenquist is a very accessible artist, but there's genius there too. A contemporary of the modern greats, he knew many of them as they rose to global fame. As he has now done himself.
Maureen Flatley
Feb 20, 2010 Maureen Flatley rated it it was amazing
I'm also anxious to get to this memoir by iconic pop artist, James Rosenquist. It's the story of his childhood in rural North Dakota and Minnesota and his journey to NYC where via sign painting he became an essential part of NY's art scene. I've always loved his work so this book will be fascinating, I'm sure.
Sarah Trowell
Apr 22, 2013 Sarah Trowell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because I've known Jim my entire life, I particularly enjoyed learning more about his thoughts on different styles of art and also about his life as a child. His dad, Louis was a sweet man, and I really loved getting a sense of what he was like as a younger person and father.
A
This is a well-written, straightforward autobiography of painter James Rosenquist. If you ever wondered about Rosenquist's work, this is the book to read. He writes candidly about the thinking behind specific work, his political involvements and relationships, including with other artists.
Robert
Dec 03, 2009 Robert is currently reading it
Shelves: art
What's up with quality control at Knopf? This is the second copy we've had with issues; pages weren't cut square on the first, this has sheets folded under and mis-cut.
Sharon R. Anderson
Sharon R. Anderson rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2015
Kodiaksm
Jun 18, 2011 Kodiaksm rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable. I had never heard of this artist but found his life story facinating!
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Margret Anne Hutaff
Margret Anne Hutaff rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2010
Woodson Merrell
Woodson Merrell rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2013
Bobby Jett
Bobby Jett rated it liked it
May 07, 2016
Tiffany Rainey
Tiffany Rainey rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2010
Ali Winter
Ali Winter rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2010
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2012
Cristina Casaubon
Cristina Casaubon rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2013
Marie Tennyson
Marie Tennyson rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2011
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2010
Heather Paxton
Heather Paxton rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2010
Rob Slocum
Rob Slocum rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2016
Robert Boyd
Robert Boyd rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2011
Sarah Cox
Sarah Cox rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2016
David Sumner
David Sumner rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Jason Sandberg
Jason Sandberg rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Natalie Lomeli
Natalie Lomeli rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2011
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2010
Jimnewbury
Jimnewbury rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2013