Start by marking “Bluebirds Used to Croon in the Choir” as Want to Read:
Bluebirds Used to Croon in the Choir

Bluebirds Used to Croon in the Choir

Winner of 2006 The Society of Midland Authors Adult Fiction Award

Children who anesthetize--and dress up--small wild animals in an ill-fated attempt to cheer their grieving mother; childhood friends who ritually return every year to the site of their near-kidnapping; an awkward teen trying to find his place among the cultural ruins of Greek Mythology Camp; brothers brought
Published November 4th 2005 by Triquarterly

To ask other readers questions about Bluebirds Used to Croon in the Choir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bluebirds Used to Croon in the Choir

Jane
Apr 27, 2009 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: chicago, shorts
This excellent collection was a nice follow-up for me to Stuart Dybek's stories, since they both tell tales of children in Chicago. Meno shares his predecessor's offbeat worldview, but injects more humor (see the one about Greek mythology camp)into the irrational world these authors depict as the young's inheritance. Bluebirds is not all about kids, but those are the most memorable to me, for example the boy who costumes himself from the contents of stolen Midway airport suitcases.
Jason Jordan
Mar 11, 2008 Jason Jordan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bluebirds Used to Croon in the Choir (TriQuarterly Books, 2005) is the best that Joe Meno has to offer. His previous novel, Hairstyles of the Damned (Punk Planet Books, 2004), was great. It's been reviewed for this website, and you can peruse the ARCHIVES for proof. Arguably, this collection of short stories upstages everything he's ever thrust into the public arena. For those of you who are financially strapped, though, this is a hardback book, so it follows that it's more expensive than its pa ...more
René
Jun 15, 2012 René rated it liked it
I enjoyed this collection of short stories. I like anything that Joe Meno writes. There's always this tinge of sadness that is conveyed in every story he writes. I tend to like that because there's an element of reality that I think a lot of authors avoid. Sometimes the stories are ridiculous, but the reality of the sadness is what makes them seem absolutely normal.

I think the sadness was harder to handle in this context because it was multiple stories where you didn't get to build up a good rel
Doug
Oct 07, 2013 Doug rated it liked it
Maybe this is true with most short story collections and I never noticed, but it felt like I was watching tv, going around the world with the remote; or rather, going around the world at the mercy of someone else in control of the remote. I felt like I dropped in on these stories not necessarily at the beginning and then jump to the next one before much in the way of conclusion or resolution. Some were very good, others just seemed to be such a small snapshot of a life or situation that it just ...more
Megan
Feb 14, 2008 Megan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
after reading the boy detective fails, i got on a bit of a joe meno kick.

i didn't like this collection of short stories as much as the other books i've read. they were really hit or miss for me, though the ones that hit really hit.

in the stories that do hit, his writing seems so effortless. so eloquent and breathlessly wonderful.

shorts i'm in love with: the use of medicine, our neck of the woods, a trip to greek mythology camp, be a good citizen, how to say good night.
Oriana
Oct 14, 2009 Oriana rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009
A few of these stories are stellar, most of them are pretty average, and all of them are way too short. There's poor balance between stories and also a weird overuse of themes: nearly ever story has runaway parents, dysfunctional siblings, people who work in factories, sexy redheaded ladies, and lots and lots of loneliness.

I'm really glad I already love Meno a whole lot, because if this had been the first book of his I read I don't know if I'd have picked up more.
H R Koelling
May 29, 2008 H R Koelling rated it liked it
Some interesting short stories. Also some that weren't so interesting. I thought some stories were a little self-absorbed and not very accessible to the average reader. Many of the characters in each story had similar hang-ups, thus making distinctions between the stories somewhat difficult.
Jeff Phillips
Feb 16, 2013 Jeff Phillips rated it really liked it
I enjoyed these stories. The collection feels like a really good rock album (in part because of the book design and Meno's periodic song mentions), some stories standing out more than others, but some subtle gems that grow on you as you think about them.
Camille Chidsey
Jul 15, 2014 Camille Chidsey rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
A little hard to rate as short stories often are. Parts of it I really liked and parts of it I thought were okay. I still really like Joe Meno though. His characters are always interesting. I would probably rate this a 3.5/5.
Donna
Aug 28, 2010 Donna rated it liked it
My very favorite was the Astronaut of the Year story. I can recommend the book for that story alone. Most of the stories were a bit too dark for me at this point in my life.
Taylor
Jul 21, 2010 Taylor rated it really liked it
Really, really liked this. Original, inventive, very strong voice, which I always appreciate. And I loved all the mentions of Chicago, of course.
Jd
Dec 09, 2008 Jd rated it really liked it
The use of medicines is one of my favorite short stories ever.
Pete
Jan 10, 2008 Pete rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008, usa
I proclaim Joe Meno to be one of the best current Chicago writers.
Courtney
Jul 09, 2009 Courtney rated it it was amazing
So good.
Jim
Mar 15, 2008 Jim added it
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to keep a sense of ennui going
Shelves: fiction
I give this no stars. I didn't like it. I didn't hate it. It had no resonance for me at all. The stories in this book did nothing for me. They didn't make me think or feel; they just lay on the page.
Phoebe Kate Foster
Mar 11, 2009 Phoebe Kate Foster rated it really liked it
Outstanding collection of stories. A must-read for all writers of literary short fiction.
Ratforce
Joe Meno is a notable humorous writer, and you might enjoy his collection of short stories titled, Bluebirds Used to Croon in the Choir.
Raewyn
A set of stories filled with melancholy and regret. Good stories, but sad. I prefer Demons in the Spring.
Kyle
Jan 13, 2009 Kyle rated it really liked it
The stories are mostly good, sometimes not good, and occasionally extraordinary. Joe Meno is a surprising and sometimes sloppy writer.
allison
Not one of Joe's best, it pains me to say.
Marissa García
Jan 18, 2010 Marissa García rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"The Girls I Have Made Cry" haunts my every pore. As does most everything Joe writes.
Therese
Sep 29, 2007 Therese rated it it was amazing
the short stories were so good. i got so into them that i was bummed when they ended. heard really good reviews about meno as a writer
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2012
Ellen Beals
Ellen Beals rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2011
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2010
Patty
Patty rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2010
Troy
Troy rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2012
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2008
Kevin Ross
Kevin Ross rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2013
  • All This Heavenly Glory
  • Trouble: Stories
  • Hiding Out
  • The Book of Ralph
  • American Skin
  • boring boring boring boring boring boring boring
  • How to Hold a Woman
  • The Coast of Chicago: Stories
  • Tunneling to the Center of the Earth: Stories (P.S.)
  • The Complete Butcher's Tales
  • Chicago Noir
  • The Facts of Winter
  • I Looked Alive: Stories
  • Flying to America: 45 More Stories
  • Distortions
  • The Better of McSweeney's, Vol. 1
  • A Peculiar Feeling of Restlessness: Four Chapbooks of Short Short Fiction by Four Women
  • Tabloid Dreams
Joe Meno is a fiction writer and playwright who lives in Chicago. A winner of the Nelson Algren Literary Award, the Great Lakes Book Award, a Pushcart Prize, the Society of Midland Author's Fiction Prize, and a finalist for the Story Prize, he is the author of seven novels and two short story collections. He is also the editor of Chicago Noir: The Classics. A long-time contributor to the seminal c ...more
More about Joe Meno...