Defending Gary: Unraveling the Mind of the Green River Killer

Defending Gary: Unraveling the Mind of the Green River Killer

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  14 reviews
At first, Mark Prothero, Defense Attorney for Gary Ridgway, thought: "This can't be the Green River Killer! He's too ordinary! He's too small. He's too calm. He's too polite! He can't possibly have murdered forty-nine women. They can't be serious! They must have screwed up! I didn't realize then, but I was right. Gary Ridgway hadn't killed forty-nine women. He'd killed eve...more
Published May 25th 2007 by Jossey-Bass (first published 2006)

Paul
In case you may have forgotten, what with everything else that's gone on since, Gary Ridgway was the no-mark who confessed to the murder of 71 (at least) prostitutes in Washington State in the 1980s and 1990s. He was sent down for life in 2003. This book is by his main defence lawyer.

The defense lawyers in a big serial killer case must get a lot of stick - "how could you defend that creep?" - and you rarely hear them defend themselves - I believe that's called irony. In this book Mark Prothero s...more
Sherri
I really enjoyed this book. I am obsessed with the criminal mind, especially serial killers. I am amazed that Gary Ridgway was able to stay under the radar for 20 years!! It's not even like he was the smartest man around, but he was killing prostitute's. Most of the time these women did not have any loved ones who noticed they were missing. Even if these women did have family, the family was aware of their lifestyle and really did not see them missing as unusual.
Gary Ridgway also known as the...more
Gary Daly
Engrossing read, though disturbing and for me it's an intellectual paradox whereby I read this huge book with great enthusiasm learning about this grotesque killer and on the again what is known or revealed about his countless victims. We always hear the media commentary when these men get caught, about how 'banal' and 'normal' or 'boring' they are to friends, family and police. Yet the only people who see the monster are his victims and regardless of the research I feel it's impossible to know...more
Mary Whisner
"The Green River Killer" killed dozens of women in South King County in the early 1980s. Despite intensive work by the King County Sheriff's Office, no one had been arrested. Until November 2001, when officers announced that they had him.

Defending Gary picks up there, as Mark Prothero, a public defender away from his office, hears the rumor that someone has been arrested. One friend says that there's DNA evidence and speculates that Prothero will get the case, since he's "the DNA guy" in his off...more
Bren
To call Defending Gary a harrowing read would be as great an understatement as to say Green River serial killer Gary Ridgway was merely "prolific."

With a total of 48 charged murders in Washington committed over a two-decade timespan, Ridgway remains the most murderous serial killer to be on record in the United States - in fact, the true number of murders is speculated to be at more than seventy. To one unfamiliar with the case, this number seems highly unlikely... until one reads the manner in...more
Lauri
Yet another book that I just couldn't put down. It's pretty rare for me to be so into a book that I want to read it above all other activites, including breathing. Well, this book was one of those books. Growing up as a kid in Renton (Seattle) in the 80s, it was impossible to escape the boogie man of the day --- The Green River Killer. My best friend of 28 years and I were curious then and became obsessed later. We read the Green River Killer when it was published - at the time, the crimes were...more
Kimberly
I seem to have a penchant for reading about serial killers these days. I started reading about Gary because he lived, worked and killed in Kent for many years, and it freaked me out when I learned this.

I think I want to know more about him so I feel comfortable again. I drive past the 'cluster' sites and get the chills. I can't seem to forget the faces of the ladies he killed.

A friend says I like people puzzles, and can't seem to solve these, so will continue to read and ponder until SOMETHING...more
Rock
Dec 24, 2007 Rock rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: true crime readers
Shelves: true-crime
This book was fascinating on a number of levels. Learning about the process of mounting a death penalty case was very enlightening. Then, add to that the stunning horror of the crimes and the strange person who committed them, and this becomes a must-read for true crime followers. I'd suggest reading "Green River Running Red" first to get the full story of the crimes, then take a deep breath and see what happened after this man was finally caught and put in the legal system.
Angie crosby
I really enjoyed the different perspective this book gave. Normally true crime are written by interested authors. This book written by a defense lawyer of mr. ridgeway. Gives insights that other green river books don't give. More than a book about Gary Ridgeway, this book is about the process of defending someone charged with a capitol crime.
After reading Ann Rule's book on the Gary Ridgeway, and then having the honer to sit in on a case study presented by the forensic psychologist and prosecutor of this case, I can't imagine a better way to wrap my reading on green river killer. The defense attorney had a wonderful perspective and was honest about the case and his client.
Derek
One of the partners at the law firm i currently work at wrote this book, as he "Defend[ed] Gary." It's a pretty well written true crime novel that doens't get too preachy or judgmental. After all, the author is a criminal defense attorney. Ridgway is one fucked up dude.
Carie Parkin
I am currently reading and it is a great book. It is from his lawyers eyes - all the other ones i've read on Gary is about the victims and the police investigations. It is nice to see another view.
Beverly
A very interesting look into the mind of a serial killer...and the defense attorneys responsible for representing him.
Cailen
This was a very interesting account of what it takes--money, manpower, strategy--to defend the green river killer.;/
Rachel M
Rachel M marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
경민/e
경민/e marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Noah
Noah marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
David Calderwood
David Calderwood marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Brittany Randall
Brittany Randall marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Philip
Philip marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Rachel Corey
Rachel Corey marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014