Start by marking “Defending Gary: Unraveling the Mind of the Green River Killer” as Want to Read:
Defending Gary: Unraveling the Mind of the Green River Killer

Defending Gary: Unraveling the Mind of the Green River Killer

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  15 reviews
At first, Mark Prothero, Defense Attorney for Gary Ridgway, thought: "This can't be the Green River Killer! He's too ordinary! He's too small. He's too calm. He's too polite! He can't possibly have murdered forty-nine women. They can't be serious! They must have screwed up! I didn't realize then, but I was right. Gary Ridgway hadn't killed forty-nine women. He'd killed eve ...more
Published May 25th 2007 by Jossey-Bass (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Defending Gary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defending Gary

Paul
In case you may have forgotten, what with everything else that's gone on since, Gary Ridgway was the no-mark who confessed to the murder of 71 (at least) prostitutes in Washington State in the 1980s and 1990s. He was sent down for life in 2003 and is currently aged 65, serving out his nasty life in Washington State Pen. This book is by his main defence lawyer.

The defense lawyers in a big serial killer case must get a lot of stick - "how could you defend that creep?" - and you rarely hear them de
Brenna
To call Defending Gary a harrowing read would be as great an understatement as to say Green River serial killer Gary Ridgway was merely "prolific."

With a total of 48 charged murders in Washington committed over a two-decade timespan, Ridgway remains the most murderous serial killer to be on record in the United States - in fact, the true number of murders is speculated to be at more than seventy. To one unfamiliar with the case, this number seems highly unlikely... until one reads the manner in
Sherri
I really enjoyed this book. I am obsessed with the criminal mind, especially serial killers. I am amazed that Gary Ridgway was able to stay under the radar for 20 years!! It's not even like he was the smartest man around, but he was killing prostitute's. Most of the time these women did not have any loved ones who noticed they were missing. Even if these women did have family, the family was aware of their lifestyle and really did not see them missing as unusual.
Gary Ridgway also known as the
Gary Daly
Engrossing read, though disturbing and for me it's an intellectual paradox whereby I read this huge book with great enthusiasm learning about this grotesque killer and on the again what is known or revealed about his countless victims. We always hear the media commentary when these men get caught, about how 'banal' and 'normal' or 'boring' they are to friends, family and police. Yet the only people who see the monster are his victims and regardless of the research I feel it's impossible to know ...more
Mary Whisner
"The Green River Killer" killed dozens of women in South King County in the early 1980s. Despite intensive work by the King County Sheriff's Office, no one had been arrested. Until November 2001, when officers announced that they had him.

Defending Gary picks up there, as Mark Prothero, a public defender away from his office, hears the rumor that someone has been arrested. One friend says that there's DNA evidence and speculates that Prothero will get the case, since he's "the DNA guy" in his off
Lauri
Yet another book that I just couldn't put down. It's pretty rare for me to be so into a book that I want to read it above all other activites, including breathing. Well, this book was one of those books. Growing up as a kid in Renton (Seattle) in the 80s, it was impossible to escape the boogie man of the day --- The Green River Killer. My best friend of 28 years and I were curious then and became obsessed later. We read the Green River Killer when it was published - at the time, the crimes were ...more
Kimberly
I seem to have a penchant for reading about serial killers these days. I started reading about Gary because he lived, worked and killed in Kent for many years, and it freaked me out when I learned this.

I think I want to know more about him so I feel comfortable again. I drive past the 'cluster' sites and get the chills. I can't seem to forget the faces of the ladies he killed.

A friend says I like people puzzles, and can't seem to solve these, so will continue to read and ponder until SOMETHING
Shelby Parkin
Might be 500 pages but I read this in two days. A little dense but really fantastic read filled with detail.
Rock
Dec 24, 2007 Rock rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: true crime readers
Shelves: true-crime
This book was fascinating on a number of levels. Learning about the process of mounting a death penalty case was very enlightening. Then, add to that the stunning horror of the crimes and the strange person who committed them, and this becomes a must-read for true crime followers. I'd suggest reading "Green River Running Red" first to get the full story of the crimes, then take a deep breath and see what happened after this man was finally caught and put in the legal system.
Angie crosby
I really enjoyed the different perspective this book gave. Normally true crime are written by interested authors. This book written by a defense lawyer of mr. ridgeway. Gives insights that other green river books don't give. More than a book about Gary Ridgeway, this book is about the process of defending someone charged with a capitol crime.
After reading Ann Rule's book on the Gary Ridgeway, and then having the honer to sit in on a case study presented by the forensic psychologist and prosecutor of this case, I can't imagine a better way to wrap my reading on green river killer. The defense attorney had a wonderful perspective and was honest about the case and his client.
Derek
One of the partners at the law firm i currently work at wrote this book, as he "Defend[ed] Gary." It's a pretty well written true crime novel that doens't get too preachy or judgmental. After all, the author is a criminal defense attorney. Ridgway is one fucked up dude.
Carie Parkin
I am currently reading and it is a great book. It is from his lawyers eyes - all the other ones i've read on Gary is about the victims and the police investigations. It is nice to see another view.
Beverly
A very interesting look into the mind of a serial killer...and the defense attorneys responsible for representing him.
Cailen
This was a very interesting account of what it takes--money, manpower, strategy--to defend the green river killer.;/
Susan Skinner
Susan Skinner marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Rodney Blair
Rodney Blair marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Dag
Dag added it
Jan 29, 2015
K.B.
K.B. marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Gusty Parwita
Gusty Parwita marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Kayleigh
Kayleigh marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Kyle Kimberley
Kyle Kimberley marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Killing for Company: The Case of Dennis Nilsen
  • The Prince of Paradise: The True Story of a Hotel Heir, His Seductive Wife, and a Ruthless Murder
  • Chasing the Devil: My Twenty-Year Quest to Capture the Green River Killer
  • The Misbegotten Son
  • One of Your Own: The Life and Death of Myra Hindley
  • Buried Dreams: Inside the Mind of a Serial Killer
  • Beyond Belief: The Moors Murderers. The Story of Ian Brady and Myra Hindley.
  • The Search for the Green River Killer