Start by marking “Tutu Deadly (Jenny T. Partridge, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tutu Deadly (Jenny T. Partridge, #1)

Tutu Deadly (Jenny T. Partridge #1)

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  245 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Meet the dance instructor who puts criminals behind bars.
Meet Jenny T. Partridge, founder of Ogden, Utah's premier school for budding prima-and not-so-prima-ballerinas. For Jenny, dealing with difficult stage mothers is business as usual...until murder cuts in.
When the obnoxious mother of Jenny's most talented student meets her maker-courtesy of poisoned cookie dough purch
Published April 3rd 2007 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Tutu Deadly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tutu Deadly

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha ChristieThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
Best Cozy Mystery Series
455th out of 1,347 books — 1,452 voters
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithCrocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha ChristieChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeA is for Alibi by Sue Grafton
Cozy Mystery Series
400th out of 669 books — 1,788 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandra
Mar 24, 2008 Sandra rated it liked it
For starters, I had no idea this book was set in Utah. As a native Utahn, it was a little awkward reading about the place I was born and raised. I wonder if that's how other people feel when they read a book set in the place they grew up.

I didn't particulary love this story. It was okay. The writing was more conversational--as though someone were telling me the story instead of me reading it--then I typically like. It was full of cheesy cliches and punchlines as well.

Jenny, a dance instructor,
Jami
Mar 10, 2008 Jami rated it did not like it
Shelves: total-crap
Now, I like a good mystery as well as the next person, but this book did not fall into that category. It was more like reading a 14-year-old girl's attempt at a mystery novel.

The main character is supposed to come off as quirky, yet lovable. The reason I know that is because the author practically screams it at you. "You're going to love this character! She's so quirky!" The super hot detective finds her quirkiness so attractive that he wants to jump in bed with her after talking to her only a f
Mare
Feb 20, 2011 Mare rated it really liked it
Jenny Partridge is a heroine to adore. Her cast of students, from toddlers to senior, will amuse and startle as well as make one wonder from what well Jenny draws her patience. When Jenny becomes the prime suspect in the death of one of the psycho dance moms and two good-looking investigators arrive on the scene, the action begins it's incredible ride to the solution. This is a fun, zippy, and entertaining book that should amuse anyone who enjoys light-hearted mysteries.
Lea
Jul 28, 2007 Lea rated it really liked it
This was a fun and suprisingly sexy mystery. Jenny Partridge is a dance instructor who gets caught up in a mystery when one of the 'psycho moms' at her dance school is murdered. Suddenly Jenny is both a suspect and a potential victim, she has two hot lawmen protecting her, and she still has to prepare her students for the Nutcracker. I bought this book on a whim and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the next in the series.
Peggy
Feb 11, 2008 Peggy rated it really liked it
DON'T JUDGE ME! I'm so embarrassed that I read and liked this book, but it was so fun to read! The heroine is this hilariously irreverent, pretty eccentric, pathetic sort of girl who I completely related to. I think what I enjoyed most was the "outside looking in" perspective of a non-Mormon living in Utah. Pretty funny stuff. It doesn't hurt that there's a hunky detective involved. Egads. I just said "hunky detective."
Kathy Moberg
Sep 24, 2007 Kathy Moberg rated it it was ok
First book in a new series, and it's a series I won't need to keep up with. It was OK, and got off to a good start. However, the mystery wasn't very good, and the attempt at a zany, madcap finish fell flat with me.
Candace Davidson
Apr 08, 2014 Candace Davidson rated it it was amazing
This was a very funny book! Lots of great mystery and suspense. Characters were colorful and entertaining!
Drebbles
May 17, 2013 Drebbles rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
Jenny Partridge's life is already complicated. She is trying to run a dance studio, deal with psycho dance moms, and keep up with her bills. The last thing she needs (or wants) is for the mother of her most talented dance student, Taylee, to be murdered - by poisoned cookie dough that Jenny was selling as a fundraiser. Now Jenny is trying to convince hunky police detective Tate Wilson that she is not a murderer while fighting her attraction to him. She's trying to find the killer as well as find ...more
Michelle Randall
Nov 18, 2011 Michelle Randall rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery, dance
My oldest daughter is a dancer and into musical theater. So when I saw this book listed on the Cozy-Mystery group by someone that they had just read it, i knew I had to see what it was about.

The lead character is Jenny T Partridge, and she owns a dance studio, albeit a small scale studio. She has psycho dance moms coming in and out all day, complaining that their daughters are better than they really our, deserve more front-center time, etc, etc. On this day, she has been confronted by a psycho
Sarah Lynn
Feb 25, 2013 Sarah Lynn rated it it was ok
I like a good cozy. Especially when it involves kickass women, crafts, art history (that's the influence of my art history professor girlfriend), queers, or something full of sparkles and/or spangles (aka things that queers like)--FOR EXAMPLE, dance--and/or some kind of unveiling of the claustrophobic wackiness of small towns that makes queers want to either paint everybody with rainbows, or run away. Escapist, kinda. Cozy. This one sort of delivers.

A kickass woman? Check: Jenny Partridge is cr
Ann
Jul 16, 2007 Ann rated it liked it
few months ago I noticed this ARC hanging out among the other ARCs in our break room. I was slightly tempted to grab it, but, because my style of reading has changed, and because I already have more than enough books to keep me busy reading for years I left it for someone else to take. I watched it languish, unloved, on the shelf in the breakroom for a couple of months before I finally felt so bad for it that I brought it home. *Wry grin*.

Tutu Deadly is the first in a new cozy series by Natalie
Cindy
Jul 12, 2015 Cindy rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2008
I really wanted to like this book as it's about dance and I can always go for some light reads in between fantasy books. However it was fairly poorly written. The book talked about OMG how poor Jenny is, and feeding off of everyone else (could be why most dance teachers take TWO jobs). I hated the way the book ended, it didn't end with read the second book, it just ended.

A few things that bothered me were:
What detective wants to sleep with a girl that he thinks is a PRIME suspect. But just beca
Terri
Jun 26, 2008 Terri rated it really liked it
Jenny Partridge teaches dance. And with that comes money worries (not enough), flamboyant friends and psycho dance moms. When one of those moms is murdered with poisoned cookie dough (from Jenny's fundraiser) a whole lot of suprises are in store for her. Many people are not who they seem and some of the pyshcos are more psycho than she thought.

The book is funny. The detective is hot. It's a light, fun read. My only real criticism is that Jenny isn't really an ameteur sleuth. She doesnt really in
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Jul 29, 2013 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it really liked it
This is a debut novel in a series back in 2007 which I discovered and enjoyed a great deal. The story is timeless and the humor as well.

Dance Instructor, Jenny T. Partridge is getting her troops ready for her annual 'take' on the Nutcracker ballet. While she is feverishly attempting to work with the children and calm the psycho Dance Moms, a murder occurs. The murder points directly to Jenny until she, herself, is attacked. Why was one of the Moms murdered, why was Jenny set up and does Detectiv
Raven
Aug 01, 2013 Raven rated it it was ok
The premise has potential -- a crime-fighting dance teacher who's constantly dealing with psycho dance moms -- but fell short in execution. Jenny was likable enough as a struggling dance instructor who's following her dream and wants to encourage other girls to follow theirs. The dance moms are also a hoot. The book works overtime to make Jenny a little TOO quirky in my opinion: A redhead. In Utah. Who likes potatoes. And can't afford decent meals. And frequently mixes up common sayings. And doe ...more
Suzanne
Sep 05, 2011 Suzanne rated it it was ok
Recommended to Suzanne by: Schoolhouse Rock - Extracuricular Activity
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
More like 2.5 stars. This book had its moments and had potential, but overall didn't quite come together. I did like the setting and the mixing in of Mormonism. Jenny Partridge was definitely quirky but sometimes just too much. The relationship between her and Detective Wilson seemed too contrived. The mystery, which seemed to be completely forgotten at points during the book was unsatisfying. When the killer was revealed, s/he had been in the book but still felt like it came out of left field, ...more
Shannon Renee
Jul 15, 2010 Shannon Renee rated it really liked it
Jenny T. Partridge was a much more enjoyable character and book that I expected it to be. It light fluffy and very cute. I like books that are a little different. The writing style of this book wasn't the norm, and Jenny was not the typical brillant female sluth. Insead you got a ditzy girl who obsessed over food and the cop tailing her. Light, cute, fun! The only thing I didn't like about the books was the absurd amount of idioms she messed up. 2 or 3 would of been fine. Multiple ones every cha ...more
Mascanlon
Mar 05, 2008 Mascanlon rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Soccer,dance,organized kid activity Moms
A "beach" read although Spring is just here! Jenny is a dance instructor and much of the fun (and very recognizable) descriptions of the dance studio world where right on the mark. The character was ditzy sweet and so attracted to the 2 lawmen in the book. But in the end the plot wasn't very strong and the end made no sense at all, just answered one question after another. I will give Jenny another chance as the the next book in the series is already on my TBR pile.
Michelegg
May 29, 2009 Michelegg rated it it was amazing
I loved this sweet little cozy. It was set in Ogden, UT, not far from my home. It was such a hoot to witness all the "Mormonisms" through the eyes of a non Mormon living in Utah. I loved the "funeral potatoes" and the poor Mormon Missionaries who barely escape with their lives whenever they are around our heroine. It was a very funny book and I can't wait for the sequel.
Angela
Mar 09, 2008 Angela rated it really liked it
What a crack up! This book, while a little irreverent, is quite funny. The story is based in Ogden, UT, and the character challenges her half-Mormon, half-Catholic upbringing. It's a quick read. I just finished it the jumped online to put a hold at the library for the second book. I'm glad it's a series because I wasn't satisfied with the ending of the first book!
Laurie
Mar 20, 2008 Laurie rated it it was ok
Recommended to Laurie by: Readers Choice Library
not worth the read at least for me and there was a lot of bashing about all diffrent religions. Which was totally unnecessary. If they had left that out, it was a fun fun premise for a book and the main character was quite eccentric and entertaining and so I had to finish it just to see what she would do next
Julie
Apr 14, 2013 Julie rated it liked it
I'm so glad that I didn't let the negative reviews on this book prevent me from reading it. If you're looking for great literature, this isn't the book for you. But, if you're looking for a fun, fluffy book then this is perfect. I may even read the next book in this series.
Linda
Apr 18, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge
3.5 stars. I enjoyed this first entry in the series. I liked the characters and Jenny was a little crazy without being over the top. The only annoying part was constantly calling her Jenny T Partridge - who uses there middle initial that much!
Christen
Feb 05, 2008 Christen rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christen by: Reader's Choice - Library
This book was a very quick, easy, enjoyable and entertaining read. The story took place in Ogden, Utah, so the references to Utah and Utah culture were very interesting! Any Utahn would definitely enjoy it! Overall, a light-hearted mystery.
Nancy H
Nov 11, 2012 Nancy H rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite type of mystery: intriguing and funny main character, good plot, hunky romantic interest, and an unexpected ending. I will definitely look for more by this author.
Tiffany
Jul 07, 2009 Tiffany rated it it was ok
Bleh. Just ok, maybe a little less than that. Lots of weird little inconsistencies and an extremely annoying first-person narration. I probably won't be reading the rest of the series...
Alisa
May 29, 2008 Alisa rated it it was ok
Got a little annoyed with the main character in this one. I could have cared less about what happened to her. When reading, it's usually nice to actually care about the characters!
Kelly
Jun 28, 2008 Kelly rated it liked it
I like Jenny, James and Marlys. I can't believe some of the things that happen to her! This book gave me a whole new thing to think about with the refrigerated cookie dough!
Holly
Apr 20, 2010 Holly rated it really liked it
I really liked this book.. at first I was a bit put off by some of the reviews I had read but I truly thought it was a great book.. on to #2 in the series now!
Chris
May 19, 2011 Chris rated it liked it
Jenny is a very random character. I loved the humorous parts. I especially thought the Mormon references were funny, being a Utah Mormon.
  • Some Like It Hot-Buttered (Double Feature Mystery #1)
  • Dying to Be Thin (A Fat City Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)
  • Murderers Prefer Blondes (A Paige Turner Mystery #1)
  • Maid for Murder (Charlotte LaRue Mystery, #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • The Commission (Sam Kincaid, #1)
  • Killer Mousse (A Della Cooks Mystery #1)
  • Blondes Have More Felons (December Vaughn, #1)
  • Flamingo Fatale (Trailer Park Mystery #1)
  • It's a Mod, Mod, Mod, Mod Murder (Murder a-Go-Go, #1)
  • Dead Air (Talk Radio Mystery #1)
  • To Love and To Perish (Annabelle Archer, #3)
  • Bingo Barge Murder (A Shay O'Hanlon Caper, #1)
  • Thistle and Twigg (Thistle & Twigg Mystery, #1)
  • Handbags and Homicide (Haley Randolph, #1)
  • Candy Apple Dead (A Candy Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Little Shop of Homicide (A Devereaux Dime Store Mystery #1)

Jenny T. Partridge (3 books)
  • Tapped Out (Jenny T. Partridge, #2)
  • Pointe and Shoot (Jenny T. Partridge, #3)