Start by marking “Pure Pleasure: Why Do Christians Feel So Bad about Feeling Good?” as Want to Read:
Pure Pleasure: Why Do Christians Feel So Bad about Feeling Good?

Pure Pleasure: Why Do Christians Feel So Bad about Feeling Good?

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Discover the power of guilt-free pleasure. Pleasure is a good thing. It s a powerful force that feeds your relationships, helps protect your spiritual integrity, and brings delight to our heavenly Father. Pleasure isn t something Christians should fear, shun, or disparage; it s something we should learn to cultivate in our lives. Acclaimed spiritual growth author Gary Thom ...more
Published October 24th 2009 by Zondervan (first published October 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Pure Pleasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pure Pleasure

Garland Vance
Gary Thomas tackles the questions that surround the role of pleasure in a Christian's life. Should Christians spend money and time and energy on the things that they enjoy. More personally, should I spend time and money on good coffee and racquetball and novels?

I appreciate that this book is nuanced. Thomas doesn't offer simple answers, but he pushes Christians to learn how to delight in God through his gifts without making those gifts into idols.

I found this book to be engaging and incredible
Amydeanne
Can we as Christians have pleasure?

I think some of us get so caught up with all the bad stuff that we think God doesn’t want us to enjoy life. It is really far from the truth isn’t it? I mean we don’t have to be stifled in our pleasures to love the Lord more do we? Pure Pleasure by Gary Thomas talks exactly about that. He presents issues about God that we struggle with. How to have a healthy pleasure, and what they are.

I was delightfully surprised when I started reading this. Gary has his feet f
Terri
"We consider 'pleasure' a synonym for 'sin.' If it feels good, we think, it must be the devil's handmaiden." Christians can have the false dilemma of seeking pleasure OR doing what's right. Gary Thomas sets the record straight and carefully lays out the premise that seeking pleasure IS doing right.

Christians need to get their minds right and begin to believe that the community of God is a party.

Rather than living 'not to sin,' Christians need to begin living for pleasure. It doesn't even sound r
John
I think a Christian must have first said the words "guilty pleasure"--- because sometimes we seem to be incapable of separating the two. Our understanding of the importance of fleeing sin, dying to ourselves, & focusing on God has often confused us of the place of pleasure in the life of a follower of Christ.

We seem to swing between the two extremes of rejecting any "earthly" thing that feels good or else embracing anything and everything under the justification that God loves us and wants
Debbie
If you feel guilty about enjoying the blessings God has given you, doing something nice for yourself, or taking a day off when there's so much need out there, then this is the book for you. But it's also for those who realize they're being tempted by pleasures that are condemned in the Bible. It shows how appropriate pleasure done in the God-ordained context will help prevent a Christian from being tempted by inappropriate behavior.

Chapter one gave the premise of the book. Chapters two through f
Pastoralmusings
Pure Pleasure by Gary Thomas
I've known that Gary Thomas was out there writing books, but this is the first book of his that I have read. That being said, I enjoyed Pure Pleasure.
Thomas has a way of writing that is easy on the reader. His writing is simple and down-to-earth. I like that. He is also a transparent writer. We are not left wondering what he thinks, nor whether he struggles as we do: he speaks openly and honestly on these subjects.
Thomas deals with the question that has plagued many C
Mad Russian the Traveller
I am beginning this review shortly before reading the book; I have purchased the book for my wife but I was provoked by the thesis to start debunking what may be the wrong thing to say to many in the Church. I am going into this with a highly skeptical attitude because here in America, we have the problem of too much pleasure. I will change this review after I have read the book. From the bits that my wife has read to me already and the cover blurbs and the other reviews, I have to say that only ...more
Sue
The premise of this book is that Christians often feel guilty about taking pleasure in life. I wasn't too sure that I agreed; I was frankly surprised at his suggestion coming from a fairly materialistic culture. But he makes some good points. We can spend so much time trying to avoid doing wrong that we forget to take pleasure in what is good - in the abundance of what God has created. He suggests that sometimes we fall into temptation because of boredom, or because something is wrong in our liv ...more
Adam Shields
Full review at http://bookwi.se/pure-pleasure-why-do...

Short review: This is the second book I have read by Gary Thomas and I again am very impressed. Christians often think that pleasure must be bad because so much pleasure can be taken too far and become sin. But Thomas makes a good case that pleasure was created by God and part of being human. The rejection of pleasure is a rejection of God. He is clear all pleasure is not good, but it is worse to reject pleasure out of hand. I think it was a
Lisa
Feb 27, 2014 Lisa marked it as to-read
John Cook Recommendation
Larry
Jul 29, 2013 Larry rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every believer in Jesus
God wants us to enjoy the Christian life and our relationship with Him. He came that we might have LIFE and have it ABUNDANTLY! That is not simply a promise of what we will have in heaven as we come into His presence. It also includes joy and fullness in life today. God wants us to enjoy life as we enjoy Him. We can glorify God as we enjoy Him and the life that He gives to us.
Paige Gordon
This book is awesome! Mr Thomas does a splendid job reminding Christians that it is healthy to enjoy the pleasures that God put on this earth if we do so in the way that He intended. This book goes straight to the point and is a great wake-up call and warning about how we should change our approach to enjoying this life. Definitely on my recommended reading list!
Butch
Very good book about a precious gift given by God but often mis-trusted by Christians. If you've been guilty of being suspicious of anything that feels good, you need to read this book. Would be great in combination with Worldliness by C J Mahaney.
Brenda
I downloaded this (legally :)) from Gary Thomas' website. I've read and liked several of his other books, but this is by far the best! I needed the reminder that Godly pleasure is crucial to a healthy Christian life and honoring to God. Very encouraging.
Brooke
Other than that I found this book to be very repetitive, there were some very insightful points that I needed to hear. Loved the idea/topic of the book. Thomas is a fantastic writer that speaks in a manner that anyone can understand.
Mar 24, 2013 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
So encouraging, and so helpful-- a nicely balanced look at the topic and one that seems to give a much-needed corrective to much of modern culture's perspective on pleasure, from both sides of the Christian fence.
Edward Lee
Another good one from Gary Thomas. I really enjoyed this book, helped to free me of some of my Christian traditions that have no basis.
Carla Hanson
This must have been a hard book to write. Have to be careful but he handled it well! This guy is one of my fav authors!
Dan Bates
I really liked his thesis and not much else, this should have been an essay not a full blown book.
Rachel Olsen
In my top 3 favorite books of 2010 because it shaped my theology indelibly.
Jared Totten
Coming soon...
Christopher Goins
Christopher Goins marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Cliff Downey
Cliff Downey marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Amanda Ruiz
Amanda Ruiz marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
  • Sin Boldly: A Field Guide for Grace
  • Living Organized: Proven Steps for a Clutter-Free and Beautiful Home
  • Love Beyond Reason: Moving God's Love from Your Head to Your Heart
  • Every Thought Captive: Battling the Toxic Belifs That Separate Us from the Life We Crave
  • Listening to God (Life Principles Study Series)
  • The Questions Christians Hope No One Will Ask: (With Answers)
  • Shopping for Time: How to Do It All and Not Be Overwhelmed
  • Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewishness of Jesus Can Transform Your Faith
  • The Almost True Story of Ryan Fisher
  • Naomi and Her Daughters
  • Snow Melts in Spring
  • Sacred Rhythms: Arranging Our Lives for Spiritual Transformation
  • Intimate Moments with the Savior: Learning to Love (Moments with the Savior) (Moments with the Savior Series)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • In My Place Condemned He Stood: Celebrating the Glory of the Atonement
  • The Solace of Fierce Landscapes: Exploring Desert and Mountain Spirituality
  • Because He Loves Me: How Christ Transforms Our Daily Life
  • The Next Story: Life and Faith After the Digital Explosion
31970

Gary Thomas is a writer, speaker and the founder and director of the Center for Evangelical Sprirituality - a ministry that integrates Scripture, church history and the Christian classics. He's spoken in 49 states, four coutries and his books have been translated into eleven languages. His books have won and be
More about Gary L. Thomas...
Sacred Marriage: Celebrating Marriage as a Spiritual Discipline Sacred Parenting: How Raising Children Shapes Our Souls Sacred Pathways Sacred Influence: How God Uses Wives to Shape the Souls of Their Husbands Sacred Marriage Participant's Guide: What If God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy?