Start by marking “Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume” as Want to Read:
Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume

Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume

At one time or another, most of us have experienced an all-consuming desire for a material object, a desire so strong that it seems like we couldn't possibly be happy without buying this thing. Yet, when we give in to this impulse, we often find ourselves feeling frustrated and empty. Advertisers, of course, aim to hook us in this way, and, from a global perspective, our t ...more
Published February 8th 2005 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about Hooked!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hooked!

Mark
Mar 11, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Fantabulous—Wendell Berry isn’t included in this collection, but his work would have been very much at home. A collection of 17 essays addressing consumerism from multiple viewpoints. How much is too much? How much is too little? How would we know?

Best summation of the book: A few years back the Dalai Lama was presenting at a multi-day conference in LA. In traveling back and forth from the conference to his hotel room, he passed by a number of street vendors hawking the latest in technological g
Steve Woods
This is a great book, it places the whole catstrophe of modern life lived through desire and the driven consumption directed at quenching it, in the context of the Buddhist world view. It offers much insight into human nature, into my own nature and how we relate to the stuff of our lives. I really enjoyed the read and it provided me with perpectives I would never have otherwise considered. A must read for anyone who is inclined towards conscious living. Wonderful
Bianca
Jan 03, 2009 Bianca rated it liked it
Shelves: unfinished
I really truly appreciate the premise of this book and most of the essays were spot on in their assessments and observations and the solutions they offered. However, it seems like many of the authors chosen had a habit of filling up the essay with too many personal anecdotes and digressions, and I found myself skimming ahead most of the time.
Buy yeah, we consume to much, we have a problem, we need to fix it.
Anna
Aug 24, 2008 Anna is currently reading it
so far, so good. i love the commentary about "anti-consumerism" and how being so stringently "anti" can be just as mind-sucking as shopping/internet/food/drug addiction is. it's all about the middle...
Desiree
Nov 17, 2010 Desiree rated it really liked it
Very interesting collection of essays about how we get attached to consuming things. Would recommend even for non-buddhists as we all experience these desires and are surrounded by daily advertisements promoting ever more consumption of goods and services.

The acquisition of more and more objects does not quench our desire but only heightens desire for other objects not yet in one's possession and thus leads to increased dissatisfaction. There are few winners and many losers in this process. Eve
Gwen
Jul 18, 2015 Gwen rated it it was amazing
This is an inspiring collection of essays, really delving into how consumption works in our daily lives - when it's necessary (we all need to consume to survive) and when it's artificially created, and how to manage it. The authors of the essays come from a variety of Buddhist traditions, and this means that the collection of essays is never repetitive - there is always a new point or new perspective. As a Buddhist myself, I found Hooked! to be really inspiring for my practice - not just how I e ...more
Meg
Apr 02, 2012 Meg added it
Shelves: buddhism
notes: unsustainability of massive consumerism; consumption as not inherently problematic but required for survival; globalization as social monoculture; attachment vs. commitment; renunciation of excess; no hierarchy of compassion; addiction to escaping uneasiness; pursuit of acquisition vs. contemplation; advocating for conscious/ethical (not anti-) consumerism; dhammic socialism; exposing identity formation and reinforcement; global consumerism as cycle of violence and desire; not too much/no ...more
Fran
Jan 28, 2012 Fran rated it it was amazing
This is one of the few books I re-read. Bhuddist writings tend to do that to me. I particularly love the subject matter of this book. So much of American society is about *getting* caught up in consumerism and abiding greed and desire. It is nice to read thoughtful, contemporary writings that explore and counter greed/desire/consumerism. I also like that it is pointed out that being "anti" something can be just as much of a hook as being "for" something. It is still attachment, right?
Nick Mather
Excellent collection of essays, mostly by Western Buddhists on how to overcome the urge to mindless consumption. Very user friendly and approachable by Buddhists and non-Buddhists alike. There is much here to help us be more mindful of our spending and consuming and as a result, create a more livable and just world.
Sharon
Jan 05, 2008 Sharon rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because I was looking for something to balance holiday consumerism, and it really did the trick. A great selection of essays (some better than others) that deconstruct the process by which desire is created, and give Buddhist-philosophy-based strategies for countering the craving. Good stuff.
Mandy
Feb 12, 2008 Mandy rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading the book and WOW. Really gets you thinking about how we are so focused on material things. Some of us feel that buying things are going to make us whole, when its actually quite the opposite. I almost felt ashamed for some of the things I thought were so important.
Really good book
Ana
Some of the essays in this collection were better than others, but overall they were pretty good. The messages got fairly repetitive near the end of the book but new case studies/examples were introduced. Some of the essays have relevance for folks teaching critical development studies, on sustainability issues, or on globalization (the editor is an environmental studies professor).
Daniel
Mar 24, 2015 Daniel rated it it was ok
Meh. While I appreciate the book, yep we consume to much. The authors tend to ramble and depending on the author veer towards politics a bit too much. Good concept and some of the articles were insightful but overall I skimmed enough that I cant say it was great.
Thomas
Aug 03, 2015 Thomas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is decent, but definitely aimed at those with a bent toward the spiritual side of Buddhism, and seems to have mostly been written by aging hippies from California. None of this is bad, or wrong, of course, just not up my alley.
Jaime
May 19, 2008 Jaime rated it liked it
Aruduous. At times more like a textbook than a book to read for fun.
Jenny
Mar 18, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it
This book has a number of great "short reads" about using buddhist wisdom in everyday life.
Christine
Dec 19, 2008 Christine marked it as to-read
Natalie from Balboa suggested this title.
David
Nov 25, 2011 David rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It's a nice discussion of being careful of desires..but also of desires of no-desire.
Chris
May 06, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
Very useful in terms of better understanding Buddhist practices and Buddhist responses to consumer culture.
Alohadudenyc
Mar 17, 2009 Alohadudenyc rated it it was amazing
a fantastic collection of writings about consumerism--from a buddhist perspective. a great read--especially in today's repressed econony. a reminder of how we can all-too-easily become "hooked."
Sally
Nov 13, 2007 Sally rated it it was amazing
Well written and representing many perspectives, this book gives many opportunities to explore the values of consumption and denial.
Kaia
Feb 18, 2008 Kaia rated it really liked it
Some essays in this are better than others, but overall worth reading. Made me think about how to be a conscious consumer.
Niko
Feb 08, 2008 Niko rated it it was amazing
Interesting to think about Buddhism and how in Amrecia our urges rise to greed desire and consumerism, sometimes within the framework of Buddhism itself.
Amy Beth
Jun 12, 2012 Amy Beth rated it liked it
Some of the essays are good and some are boring, so I skipped around. The overall message is wonderful.
Raechelle Thomas
Jul 30, 2008 Raechelle Thomas rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Theo and Heather
Great essays on buddhists and their views of consumerism and greed.
Shannon
Nov 07, 2009 Shannon rated it it was amazing
loved this book. very good gut check
Danny Martin
Really made me think about how we take the smallest things for granted, and how our perception of consumption, even when meager, is plenty for many.
Rebecca Giacomelli
Rebecca Giacomelli rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2012
Anne Gabrielle
Anne Gabrielle rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Andee
Andee rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Zen Path Through Depression
  • The Heart of the Revolution: The Buddha's Radical Teachings on Forgiveness, Compassion, and Kindness
  • One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
  • Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living
  • Rebel Buddha: On the Road to Freedom
  • At Home in the Muddy Water: A Guide to Finding Peace Within Everyday Chaos
  • A Practical Guide to Buddhist Meditation
  • Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha's Path
  • Open to Desire: Embracing a Lust for Life - Insights from Buddhism and Psychotherapy
  • Food for the Heart: The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah
  • Essential Buddhism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs and Practices
  • Mindfulness with Breathing: A Manual for Serious Beginners
  • Big Sky Mind: Buddhism and the Beat Generation
  • For a Future to Be Possible: Buddhist Ethics for Everyday Life
  • Nothing Special
  • Work as a Spiritual Practice: A Practical Buddhist Approach to Inner Growth and Satisfaction on the Job
  • What Makes You Not a Buddhist
  • Breath by Breath: The Liberating Practice of Insight Meditation

“In the U.S. there are 45,000 shopping malls employing 10.7 million people. The average American family of four metabolizes four million pounds of material every year to support their lifestyle. That’s 11,000 lbs. a day, 7.5 lbs. a minute.” 0 likes