Start by marking “Reading Don't Fix No Chevys: Literacy in the Lives of Young Men” as Want to Read:
Reading Don't Fix No Chevys: Literacy in the Lives of Young Men

Reading Don't Fix No Chevys: Literacy in the Lives of Young Men

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  25 reviews
The problems of boys in schools, especially in reading and writing, have been the focus of statistical data, but rarely does research point out how literacy educators can combat those problems. That situation has changed. Michael Smith and Jeff Wilhelm, two of the most respected names in English education and in the teaching of reading, worked with a very diverse group of ...more
Published March 12th 2002 by Heinemann Educational Books

To ask other readers questions about Reading Don't Fix No Chevys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reading Don't Fix No Chevys

The Book Whisperer by Donalyn MillerThe First Days of School by Harry K. WongSavage Inequalities by Jonathan KozolEducating Esmé by Esmé Raji CodellPedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire
books for teachers, educators
64th out of 389 books — 344 voters
Diary of a Freedom Writer by Darrius GarrettEdna in the Desert by Maddy LedermanTeaching Adolescent Writers by Kelly GallagherTeaching for Joy and Justice by Linda ChristensenThe Reading Zone by Nancie Atwell
Best Books for English Teachers
57th out of 88 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Whitney
This took me a while to get through, but I really enjoyed it. It helped me think about and analyze the research that I have done because it is so thorough and detailed. The end though, was particularly interesting and applicable because it took the data and drew more global implications from it. I felt like these implications influenced how I think about reading in the classroom and also teacher-student relationships- I definitely will be putting some of those things into practice.
Michael Brockley
In "READING DON'T FIX NO CHEVIES", authors Michael W. Smith and Jeffrey D. Wilhelm tackle the problem posed by the resistance boys often display in response to "schoolish" reading demands. This book is an exegesis of the author's research into the aforementioned topic. Although the same size is small, the authors discover issues which warrant more investigation. Among such topics are: Social relations are important to boys; boys recognize the importance of literacy, in theory; boys have regular ...more
Edward
I thought that this was a very good look at the underlying factors of literacy. While it is not an extensive resource for strategies to implement within the classroom, it looks at the underlying psychological basis of literacy as it applies to young males. In this way, it challenges teachers to consider each student as an individual. It also challenges teachers to find novel ways to connect each individual student back to the content of instruction. I felt that many of the ideas, while directed ...more
Tiffany Cooke
Teenage boys tend to struggle in school, especially in reading and English classes. Boys read all the time, just not in the traditional ways their teachers value. As a result, boys don't see themselves as readers and that affects their abilities in school. Michael Smith and Jeff Wilhelm use research and interviews with forty-nine guys to show teachers how to build literacy for the young men in our classrooms. Their findings are easily implemented. A must read for language arts teachers.
Lenore Maybaum
I taught this book earlier in the term and paired it with _Just Girls_, which is a study of adolescent girls' literacy practices and use of literacy to negotiate identity. _Reading Don't Fix_ is enthusiastic and fun, especially the discussion of "the flow" experience. In the end, however, I felt that the research oversimplified and wrote off a lot of theories of masculinity (Kimmel and Kaufman, for instance.) Good for an introductory course, though.
Tamara
For teachers, this is a great text for understanding what motivates teen boys to read, and how you can interact with them in the classroom to keep them engaged.

It had some useful tips for our upcoming male reader's advisory program at Ohionet, especially on what I would call male reading "trends." (Please sign up so that all of my hard work doesn't go to waste!)
Laura (booksnob)
I have not finished this book yet and am not sure I will. I am stuck in the middle of chapter four. This book just doesn't flow for me. I can't get through the student part where I think the authors should have edited. Reading text the way students speak with lots of you know's and like, bugs me. I will probably revist this book but for now, I GIVE UP!
Jen
This book definitely made me do some thinking about how we approach literacy in the lives of young men in our schools. Boys read differently than girls and they prefer reading different texts and we need to acknowledge that in our schools. If we did, maybe we'd see more success in literacy in the boys in our schools.
Lisa
A fascinating look at how and boys read, this book would be great for any teacher,librarian, administrator, or parent to reflect on boys' reading habits, which tend to differ from typical girls' choices. It also suggests that we need to alter the traditional view of what is "acceptable, valuable" reading material.
Melissa
A bit repetitive, but nevertheless an enlightening look at how boys/young men view reading, and how teachers can teach them better.

7/21/09 - Several professors have cited this book since I read it this spring. It's definitely making the rounds in the College of Ed.
Eddie Eifler
An excellent window into the individual face behind the mountain of statistics, this book deals with ways in which young boys get turned off on reading and writing, and ways in which teachers can attempt to reach the unreachable male student.
Julie Aquilina
Lots of good case studies and a catchy title. Made me think a lot about how one inspires "flow" in any reluctant reader. Wished there was more practical application stuff for the classroom overall. Still an interesting read, nonetheless.
jacky
Nov 26, 2008 jacky marked it as to-read
Shelves: education
I hear a lot about this book, but have not yet gotten to reading it. I think it might be a good one for this summer though since I think with the combining of academic and basic I will have more students with this mentality about reading.
Shelley
This one had some helpful tips, but it seemed to suggest that unless a teacher can make reading as instantly gratifying as videogames all hope is lost for getting boys to love books. Also, it sort of made me like boys less...
Lori Sharp
SO TRUE! Filled with great ideas to connect with boys through literature. Makes me even more interested to do some more research in same-sexed reading groups.
Katrina
Helpful, applicable ways to get young men interested and focused in reading. I think most educators would find this book enjoyable and enlightening.
Bug
Jun 21, 2009 Bug marked it as to-read
Highly recommended to me by very experienced teachers--So I feel confident recommending it without reading. Have not yet had time to read.
Jack Conway
Mar 02, 2008 Jack Conway rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: English teachers
Recommended to Jack by: school
The sixth chapter inspired me as much as the first five bored me. I guess they had to set the table before we could eat.
Cindy Dean
We absolutely have to find ways to reach our boy readers. This book offers some excellent theories.
Meredith
I came across this book while researching the implications of a "reading specialist" major.
Imageseer
A very good book that will help any parent or teacher who deals with reading reluctant learners.
Stephen Starr
Don't give up on boys, they just read in a different way than schools expect them to.
Erin
crisis time with boys and reading, sitting on the fence with this one
Paula
Opened my eyes to not just boy readers but all my readers.
Lori
very interesting research on boys and reading.
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Assunda
Assunda marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
author 1 5 Jul 13, 2009 08:21AM
  • Reading Reasons: Motivational Mini-Lessons for Middle and High School
  • Mini-Lessons for Literature Circles
  • Adolescent Literacy: Turning Promise Into Practice
  • The Reading Zone: How to Help Kids Become Skilled, Passionate, Habitual, Critical Readers
  • I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers
  • Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12
  • Naked Reading: Uncovering What Tweens Need to Become Lifelong Readers
  • The English Teacher's Companion: A Complete Guide to Classroom, Curriculum, and the Profession
  • Blending Genre, Altering Style: Writing Multigenre Papers
  • Write Beside Them: Risk, Voice, and Clarity in High School Writing
  • Book Crush: For Kids and Teens-Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment and Interest
  • The Power of Reading: Insights from the Research
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Boy Writers: Reclaiming Their Voices
  • "You Gotta Be the Book": Teaching Engaged and Reflective Reading With Adolescents (Language and Literacy Series )
  • Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers
  • How to Get Your Child to Love Reading
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop

Michael W. Smith is Professor of Literacy Education, College of Education, Temple University.
- Ph.D. University of Chicago. Special Field: Curriculum and Instruction.
- M.A.T. University of Chicago. Major Emphases: English and Education
- B.A. University of Chicago. Major: English
More about Michael W. Smith...
Oh, Yeah?!: Putting Argument to Work Both in School and Out Getting It Right: Fresh Approaches to Teaching Grammar, Usage, and Correctness Going with the Flow: How to Engage Boys (and Girls) in Their Literacy Learning Uncommon Core: Where the Authors of the Standards Go Wrong about Instruction and How You Can Get It Right The Language of Interpretation: Patterns of Discourse in Discussions of Literature