Start by marking “Reading Don't Fix No Chevys: Literacy in the Lives of Young Men” as Want to Read:
Reading Don't Fix No Chevys: Literacy in the Lives of Young Men

Reading Don't Fix No Chevys: Literacy in the Lives of Young Men

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  256 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
The problems of boys in schools, especially in reading and writing, have been the focus of statistical data, but rarely does research point out how literacy educators can combat those problems. That situation has changed. Michael Smith and Jeff Wilhelm, two of the most respected names in English education and in the teaching of reading, worked with a very diverse group of ...more
Published March 12th 2002 by Heinemann Educational Books

To ask other readers questions about Reading Don't Fix No Chevys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reading Don't Fix No Chevys

The Book Whisperer by Donalyn MillerThe First Days Of School by Harry K. WongSavage Inequalities by Jonathan KozolPedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo FreireEducating Esmé by Esmé Raji Codell
books for teachers, educators
76th out of 495 books — 469 voters
Diary of a Freedom Writer by Darrius GarrettTeaching Adolescent Writers by Kelly GallagherTeaching for Joy and Justice by Linda ChristensenThe Reading Zone by Nancie AtwellReading, Writing, and Rising Up by Linda Christensen
Best Books for English Teachers
59th out of 121 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Whitney
Jul 25, 2010 Whitney rated it really liked it
This took me a while to get through, but I really enjoyed it. It helped me think about and analyze the research that I have done because it is so thorough and detailed. The end though, was particularly interesting and applicable because it took the data and drew more global implications from it. I felt like these implications influenced how I think about reading in the classroom and also teacher-student relationships- I definitely will be putting some of those things into practice.
Salsabrarian
The authors conducted a study of boys and reading, focusing on a racially diverse group of 49 boys and tracking their reading interests and reactions. Although research on boys and literacy has highlighted general themes, the authors caution that individuality must be taken into account. They found the following "flow experiences" as key to inspiring/maintaining boys' interest in reading: a sense of control (provide choice!) and competence (suggest teachers frontload info before a reading, creat ...more
Michael Brockley
Nov 07, 2014 Michael Brockley rated it really liked it
In "READING DON'T FIX NO CHEVIES", authors Michael W. Smith and Jeffrey D. Wilhelm tackle the problem posed by the resistance boys often display in response to "schoolish" reading demands. This book is an exegesis of the author's research into the aforementioned topic. Although the same size is small, the authors discover issues which warrant more investigation. Among such topics are: Social relations are important to boys; boys recognize the importance of literacy, in theory; boys have regular ...more
Edward
Apr 23, 2013 Edward rated it really liked it
Shelves: pedagogy
I thought that this was a very good look at the underlying factors of literacy. While it is not an extensive resource for strategies to implement within the classroom, it looks at the underlying psychological basis of literacy as it applies to young males. In this way, it challenges teachers to consider each student as an individual. It also challenges teachers to find novel ways to connect each individual student back to the content of instruction. I felt that many of the ideas, while directed ...more
Tiffany Cooke
Aug 26, 2012 Tiffany Cooke rated it liked it
Shelves: teacher-books, 2012
Teenage boys tend to struggle in school, especially in reading and English classes. Boys read all the time, just not in the traditional ways their teachers value. As a result, boys don't see themselves as readers and that affects their abilities in school. Michael Smith and Jeff Wilhelm use research and interviews with forty-nine guys to show teachers how to build literacy for the young men in our classrooms. Their findings are easily implemented. A must read for language arts teachers.
Lenore
Apr 15, 2008 Lenore rated it liked it
Shelves: college-teaching
I taught this book earlier in the term and paired it with _Just Girls_, which is a study of adolescent girls' literacy practices and use of literacy to negotiate identity. _Reading Don't Fix_ is enthusiastic and fun, especially the discussion of "the flow" experience. In the end, however, I felt that the research oversimplified and wrote off a lot of theories of masculinity (Kimmel and Kaufman, for instance.) Good for an introductory course, though.
Tamara
For teachers, this is a great text for understanding what motivates teen boys to read, and how you can interact with them in the classroom to keep them engaged.

It had some useful tips for our upcoming male reader's advisory program at Ohionet, especially on what I would call male reading "trends." (Please sign up so that all of my hard work doesn't go to waste!)
Laura (booksnob)
Apr 13, 2008 Laura (booksnob) rated it it was ok
Shelves: thesis
I have not finished this book yet and am not sure I will. I am stuck in the middle of chapter four. This book just doesn't flow for me. I can't get through the student part where I think the authors should have edited. Reading text the way students speak with lots of you know's and like, bugs me. I will probably revist this book but for now, I GIVE UP!
Jen
May 09, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
This book definitely made me do some thinking about how we approach literacy in the lives of young men in our schools. Boys read differently than girls and they prefer reading different texts and we need to acknowledge that in our schools. If we did, maybe we'd see more success in literacy in the boys in our schools.
Lisa
Jun 12, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
A fascinating look at how and boys read, this book would be great for any teacher,librarian, administrator, or parent to reflect on boys' reading habits, which tend to differ from typical girls' choices. It also suggests that we need to alter the traditional view of what is "acceptable, valuable" reading material.
Melissa
Jul 21, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
A bit repetitive, but nevertheless an enlightening look at how boys/young men view reading, and how teachers can teach them better.

7/21/09 - Several professors have cited this book since I read it this spring. It's definitely making the rounds in the College of Ed.
Eddie Eifler
Apr 13, 2011 Eddie Eifler rated it it was amazing
An excellent window into the individual face behind the mountain of statistics, this book deals with ways in which young boys get turned off on reading and writing, and ways in which teachers can attempt to reach the unreachable male student.
Julie Aquilina
Apr 28, 2013 Julie Aquilina rated it it was ok
Shelves: teaching
Lots of good case studies and a catchy title. Made me think a lot about how one inspires "flow" in any reluctant reader. Wished there was more practical application stuff for the classroom overall. Still an interesting read, nonetheless.
jacky
Mar 10, 2016 jacky marked it as to-read-education
Shelves: education
I hear a lot about this book, but have not yet gotten to reading it. I think it might be a good one for this summer though since I think with the combining of academic and basic I will have more students with this mentality about reading.
Lori Sharp
Jun 08, 2010 Lori Sharp rated it it was amazing
SO TRUE! Filled with great ideas to connect with boys through literature. Makes me even more interested to do some more research in same-sexed reading groups.
Katrina
Jan 31, 2012 Katrina rated it really liked it
Helpful, applicable ways to get young men interested and focused in reading. I think most educators would find this book enjoyable and enlightening.
Bug
Jun 21, 2009 Bug marked it as to-read
Highly recommended to me by very experienced teachers--So I feel confident recommending it without reading. Have not yet had time to read.
Jack Conway
Mar 02, 2008 Jack Conway rated it liked it
Recommends it for: English teachers
Recommended to Jack by: school
The sixth chapter inspired me as much as the first five bored me. I guess they had to set the table before we could eat.
Cindy Dean
Jul 05, 2011 Cindy Dean rated it really liked it
We absolutely have to find ways to reach our boy readers. This book offers some excellent theories.
Meredith
May 11, 2011 Meredith rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I came across this book while researching the implications of a "reading specialist" major.
Imageseer
Jan 25, 2008 Imageseer rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
A very good book that will help any parent or teacher who deals with reading reluctant learners.
Stephen Starr
Jul 03, 2010 Stephen Starr rated it really liked it
Don't give up on boys, they just read in a different way than schools expect them to.
Erin
Aug 20, 2007 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: library_services
crisis time with boys and reading, sitting on the fence with this one
Paula
Aug 15, 2010 Paula rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Opened my eyes to not just boy readers but all my readers.
Lori
Nov 17, 2010 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
very interesting research on boys and reading.
Rebecca
Dec 30, 2014 Rebecca marked it as to-read
Recommended to Rebecca by: Tamara
Still need to read this.
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Cindy
Cindy is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2016
RandomScholar
RandomScholar marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Mr. Sanders
Mr. Sanders rated it it was ok
Aug 04, 2016
author 2 6 Jul 30, 2015 02:05PM
  • Reading Reasons: Motivational Mini-Lessons for Middle and High School
  • Mini-Lessons for Literature Circles
  • Adolescent Literacy: Turning Promise Into Practice
  • I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers
  • The Reading Zone: How to Help Kids Become Skilled, Passionate, Habitual, Critical Readers
  • Naked Reading: Uncovering What Tweens Need to Become Lifelong Readers
  • Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12
  • Book Crush: For Kids and Teens-Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment and Interest
  • The English Teacher's Companion: A Complete Guide to Classroom, Curriculum, and the Profession
  • Misreading Masculinity: Boys, Literacy, and Popular Culture
  • The Power of Reading: Insights from the Research
  • "You Gotta Be the Book": Teaching Engaged and Reflective Reading With Adolescents (Language and Literacy Series )
  • Write Beside Them: Risk, Voice, and Clarity in High School Writing
  • Blending Genre, Altering Style: Writing Multigenre Papers
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Writing about Reading: From Book Talk to Literary Essays, Grades 3-8
  • Boy Writers: Reclaiming Their Voices

Michael W. Smith is Professor of Literacy Education, College of Education, Temple University.
- Ph.D. University of Chicago. Special Field: Curriculum and Instruction.
- M.A.T. University of Chicago. Major Emphases: English and Education
- B.A. University of Chicago. Major: English
More about Michael W. Smith...