She's Got It Bad (Harlequin Blaze, #464)

She's Got It Bad (Harlequin Blaze, #464)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  439 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Twelve years ago Zoe Ford let Liam Masters break her heart. But now? There's not a chance. Zoe is as tough and wild as they come. So when Liam shows up at her tattoo parlor, she's more than ready to take him on again. That's not going to be a hardship, since he's hotter than he ever was.

This time she's staying in charge. And she's not going to consider their score settled...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2009)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Rane
When Liam Masters sees a nude portrait of a woman, he’s blown away to see a face from his past, his first love, Zoe Ford in all her glory, thinking she must be in need of help, Liam does everything to help Zoe, but what if she doesn’t need the help but he does? With deep scars from their pasts Zoe and Liam must help each other heal the wounds on their hearts and souls

Everytime I pick up a Sarah Mayberry I know am in for a great plot but an even greater character depth packed into a novella tha...more
Shawna
5 stars – Contemporary Romance

This is an emotional, drama-heavy contemporary romance with a reunited lovers theme about two damaged characters, neither of whom thinks they’re good enough for the other, who waste a lot of time and energy fighting their intrinsic, deep connection and mutual attraction, yet somehow manage to ultimately find healing, acceptance, forgiveness, and of course, love. This is my second HQ Blaze read by Sarah Mayberry, and I’ve been impressed both times with the level of e...more
Wicked Incognito Now
I had to stop reading this because it just irked me so.

At first, when I began reading this, I was so pleased to learn that the heroine wasn't your average starry-eyed innocent. She was tattoo artist, a thrash club performer, openly sexual, and dressed the part. YAY!

Then I realized that she was meant to be SAVED from all that. The premise of the story is that h/h knew each other as kids, but he left her for her own good. She was SO sweet and innocent! When he saw her 12 years later (you know, all...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
1.5/5; 2 stars; C-

I probably would not have finished this book if it hadn't been an audiobook and I was listening to it while up a ladder painting...for hours. What a disappointment. The specific thing that bugged me about the book requires a spoiler to explain so don't read on if you don't like spoilers.
(view spoiler)...more
Jen
Geebus what a load of baggage these two lovers have. Liam Masters takes the noble coward's way out by leaving his sweetheart Zoe Ford behind after a mistaken amorous evening fumbling, which leaves horrid consequences for both of them. It takes twelve years of wonder and angst to bring the couple back together. Despite my frustration at their self-pity and uncertainty, it's utterly endearing to see them evolve from the remnants of their younger selves and emerge stronger for it.

This is my first S...more
Tia
Hero and heroine knew each other when they were kids. The heroine was in love with the hero and at fifteen she wanted to give him her virginity. The hero almost gave in but loved her enough to take off and leave. When the hero left, the heroines life fell apart and she made some huge mistakes, then she turned it around. When the hero saw he again, he was shocked. When he learned about her and realized he still loved her, he wasn't going to give up until one incident changed everything.

It was a d...more
Amanda Sheila
I always loved a romance between a girl and her older brother's best friend. :)

I actually own this book for a long time in my ereader, but I haven't read it until now. I'm surprised because it's good! I loved the plot, I loved how its author developed the chemistry and the way she writes is suit me perfectly.

Liam and Zoe's in love with each other for a long time, since they're just teenagers to be exact. But Liam had his own hang ups and he didn't want to drag Zoe along with him, so he left. H...more
Sharon
She's Got It Bad, Sarah Mayberry (B-) - This was my first Mayberry book and one that I've wanted to read given the positive reviews of it. I had some mixed feelings and despite my sense of Mayberry as a potentially strong writer, the gender politics here are troubling.

The heroine, Zoe, becomes self-destructive as a teen when the hero, Liam (age 17) leaves her rather than risk tarnishing her with his bad boy reputation and dangerous "nature". She subsequently makes some bad decisions as a result...more
Cordelia
I saved this as "Free Book Friday!" and never actually downloaded it. I have a paperback copy of it now, and I read it last weekend. I'm undecided on whether or not I liked it. The story was good, and it tied together well in the end. I had the same reservations I've seen in romance review blogs: the heroine wasn't a true badass, she was just hiding her insecurities in slutty clothes and an unconventional job. But while most readers were okay with the hero being a douche (he was just looking out...more
Puna
Something bad happened to Zoe when she was young and instead if growing up she chose to remain a pouty-things-didn't-go-my-way-so-going-to-punish-everyone-including myself trashy, drunken child that needed saving. But hey once the guy comes into her life all is good and in the end she's able to save him. I did NOT like this chick. After 12 yrs she's still so fixated on & mad about the past she barely sees/talks with her brother and she hasn't spoken with her divorced parents in a year. Not t...more
Lisa
This was on my nook so I couldn't throw it against the wall but I was tempted to several times. The hero is patronizing, all-knowing and a tortured knight: trying to rescue the heroine but save her from himself, because he obviously knows what is best for her. The heroine seems fantastic, but the all-knowing hero can "see" that it's just a facade and inside she's really a mess that only he can fix.

I wanted to like it for so many reasons: she's a tattoo artist and sings in a thrash band, it's set...more
Sassafrass
I usually really like Sarah Mayberry, but this one missed the mark for me. I think this is the one instance where I wish that I had read the book instead of listening to it on audio because the narrator really destroyed this story. I mean truly, it was awful. I really feel bad for the author because that narrator really messed up her book.

Narration aside, I would have given three stars. It was a decent Harlequin Romance but, I really had to stretch the imagination a bit. I almost forgot that thi...more
Alexis-Morgan Roark
One of the few Blaze books I've actually read versus listened to, and I just couldn't get into it. I think it was the whole tattoo thing...which is so not my thing. I also thought the story a bit contrived in parts (although, it is a Blaze title, right??). I did appreciate the bittersweet back story. That was a real tearjerker btw. Borrow it from the library or a friend. Maybe I'll re-read it in a year or so.
December
Fun read, two wounded characters, but very realistic motivation, both fought the attraction, couldn't resist, than fought it again. Nice tension, even with the sex, it was still really tense up to the end.
Krista Holtz
I wanted more from the characters in this book, but they both just wound up being self-involved and annoying and I wanted to smack the both of them around. Ultimately very disappointing.
Holly
Very unconventional heroine. I enjoyed the overall story and was surprised at the depth of the characters. I'll be reading more from Mayberry in the future.
Bobs (Reader Unbound)
Liam is an idiot. That is it. I cannot believe it took him so much time to understand Zoe...
I adore Sarah Mayberry, but I just did not feel this one.
Lenore Kosinski
*sigh* So, in preparation for my imminent trip to the land of Oz, I decided to reread a bunch of books by one of my favourite authors ever, Ms Mayberry. And just as I remembered, she did not disappoint. I was telling my husband (in all my fan-girl glory) about contacting her like the freak I am, and then trying to describe this book...and eventually said "her books don't have a formula, except awesomeness". He has since decided that should be her new catch phrase.

Every book she writes is unique....more
Renee
Sarah Mayberry is my favorite category author, and She's Got it Bad is now my favorite Mayberry!

I really liked Zoe, who was a very unique romance heroine. She's a tattoo artist and frontperson for an edgy band, she's the antithesis of a shrinking violet virgin heroine. However, that doesn't mean that she's hard or bitchy. She's just done a lot of living in her 27 years, and has her share of regrets and baggage.
Liam, too, has his own issues, and some considerable history with Zoe. When he re-conn...more
JoAnne Kenrick
I heard about the free Audible copy of this via a friend on Facebook. I'd never used Audible before, and it took me a while to figure it out -- but as this isn't a review on Audible, we'll skip that!

The first audio book I've listened to in a long while, and being a Blaze, I knew it would be pretty decent, and hot. And that it was. But what I loved about it was the clever way Sarah Mayberry managed to portray the ups and downs of the relationship. I didn't appreciate the mispronunciation of Brisb...more
~KarenH~
Story - 3 stars
Narration - 1 star
Average - 2 stars

This is one of those cases where the narrator really detracted from what would have otherwise been a decent book. I liked the story, about two emotionally damaged people who knew (and were attracted to) each other as teenagers and meet again 12 years later. Their issues were resolved way too easily to be realistic, but that's pretty much to be expected in a category romance and didn't bother me. Unfortunately, the narrator really did bother me. S...more
Petra
I really liked Zoe, who was a very unique character. She’s a tattoo artist and the front person for an edgy band, but that doesn’t mean that she’s hard or bitchy. She’s done a lot of living in her 27 years and has her share of regrets, baggage and problems.

Liam also has his own issues and a history with Zoe. When he re-connects with her, he rushes in playing the alpha trying to fix her. Zoe isn't the type of girl that wants somebody to fix her, especially Liam.

I love their fights. There's a lo...more
Caro
This book was really good. I would definitely read it again. I liked how the author used the good girl gone bad, and how once something like that happens it can really make you not care what happens to or what the body is really worth. It shows that not only the guys in life drown themselves and have problems that are really hard. The role-reversal (usually the guy main character is the one that drinks and finds outlets that don't seem 'proper' to numb their feelings) was a really good connectio...more
Victoria
I contemplated on either finishing this book or tossing it. It enraged me to no extent. The characters were crap. I didn't like one bit of this book. I wish there was a half star rating.
Kelly
Yep, I can see why Miss Bates loves these. Proper review to come.
RedBecca
I can't believe how much I enjoyed this story. I haven't read much Harlequin romance since my high-school days so I was blown away by the depth of emotion in this story.

These were some complex characters with baggage galore to work through. It was so refreshing to read a story where the main conflict the H/h have to overcome is their own insecurities and not some cheesy contrived subplot.

Will be reading more by this author immediately!
Liz B
Unlike the later books by Mayberry, this one had the hero and heroine acting stupid in typical romance ways of acting stupid. It's not that people don't make bad decisions in her later books, but that they make the kind of bad decisions that normal people make. Not the "I will protect you from evil me by leaving you foreverrrrrrrrrrrr" kind of bad decision that happens remarkably often in this relatively short book.
Lyn
Another well written book by Sarah Mayberry. This book has it. The drama, the heartache, the love, the hope. The back story is a tear jerker.

It's very heartbreaking of what happened to her, the heroine. But the best part is she's a survivor. Both h/H are a survivor.

I can't put this down once I started reading. So I recommend it. :)
Shae
I was really surprised at how much I loved this book. I've read a few other books by Sarah Mayberry and have been less than impressed. The summary of this book made me want to read it though, and I'm glad I did. The characters were wonderful, and while parts of the story were tragic, it was wonderful to see how Zoe and Liam dealt with past issues.
  • Hot under Pressure (Harlequin Blaze #485)
  • Private Confessions (Harlequin Blaze #308)
  • Ms. Match (Harlequin Blaze, #424)
  • Play with Me
  • The Soldier (McPherson Brothers, #2)
  • The Right Stuff (Uniformly Hot!, #4) (Harlequin Blaze, #463)
  • Able-Bodied (Harlequin Blaze #451) (Uniformly Hot!, #2)
  • Ripped!
  • Power Play
  • Shadow Hawk (Harlequin Blaze, #329)
  • The Concubine
  • Body Check
  • Feels Like the First Time
  • Touch and Go
  • Bare Necessities (Harlequin Blaze, #371)
  • Bound To Please
  • At Your Command
  • No Peeking... (Sex for Beginners, #3)
19909
Sarah Mayberry was born in Melbourne, Australia, and is the middle of three children. From the time that she first “stole” paper from kindergarten and stapled it together to make “books,” Sarah has always wanted to be a writer. In line with this ambition, on graduation from high school she completed a bachelor of arts degree majoring in professional writing, then sat down to write a book. When ins...more
More about Sarah Mayberry...
Her Best Worst Mistake The Other Side of Us Anything for You Her Best Friend Her Favorite Temptation (Mathews Sisters, #1)