Start by marking “Reading Is Seeing” as Want to Read:
Reading Is Seeing

Reading Is Seeing

Picturing scenes, events, settings, characters, and ideas is essential to reading comprehension - but not all students know how to do it. In this amazing book, a noted educator shows teachers dozens of engaging, interactive techniques that turn reading into a highly visual, enjoyable experience for proficient and struggling readers alike. Storyboards, main idea tableaux, t ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Teaching Resources

To ask other readers questions about Reading Is Seeing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reading Is Seeing

Elie
Dec 31, 2015 Elie rated it it was ok
There were several factors that contributed to my mediocre feelings about this book.

First, I had just read a bunch of Kelly Gallagher books, and most of what Dr. Wilhelm states in this book can be covered in the metaphor section of Deeper Reading.

Second, I've been doing a whole lot of reading this summer, both PD books and articles for my Master's degree. I found much of the content in this book to not be new or useful. Oh, learn what students are interested in so you can be a better teacher?
Rebecca
Jan 13, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Dr. Wilhelm explores ways that instructors can work within an all too often failing educational structure. His work in inquiry based learning provides a strong foundation for instructors. Reading is Seeing is a nice addition to his body of work on this subject. He blends the theoretical with the practical (less theory in this book than others). Wilhelm provides some "right now" approaches on how to incorporate visual literacy as a scaffolding tool to increased comprehension. For the seasoned tea ...more
Asif
Feb 06, 2014 Asif rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book that grounds teaching practice in theory and lived examples from the classroom. In particular, i appreciate how i can relate what is shared to what and how i am teaching. In our education endeavour we are hoping to support students to "read" the world and to have ways and tools to engage in/with the world.
Danielle
Jun 18, 2011 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Dr. Wilhelm provides teachers with a wide variety of creative visualization reading strategies and logic behind the usage of such strategies. I plan on using quite a few of these wonderful reading strategies in the upcoming school year- can't wait!
Mdavis
Apr 15, 2009 Mdavis rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books about teaching reading. It really goes into depth about what reading is and how to reach the hard-to-reach kids. Wilhelm uses strong theory to back up the stratgies. I love it.
Claudia
Not a favorite-not a lot of new territory. I DID learn from their chart contrasting information and knowledge. But overall, I am disappointed.
Paula
Aug 15, 2010 Paula rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
Good book for those that are trying to learn more about reading and the teaching of reading.
Cass
Cass marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Brigit
Brigit marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Cara Abbey
Cara Abbey rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Janice
Janice rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Kevin English
Kevin English marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Tomasen Carey
Tomasen Carey rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Cisco Lang
Cisco Lang marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Elizabeth Drake
Elizabeth Drake marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Addicted to Books
Addicted to Books marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Bottleupandessplode
Bottleupandessplode marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Rhonda Russell-mau
Rhonda Russell-mau rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Craig Beckett
Craig Beckett marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Keva Mitchell
Keva Mitchell rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Mayra
Mayra rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014