Start by marking “Reading Is Seeing” as Want to Read:
Reading Is Seeing

Reading Is Seeing

Picturing scenes, events, settings, characters, and ideas is essential to reading comprehension - but not all students know how to do it. In this amazing book, a noted educator shows teachers dozens of engaging, interactive techniques that turn reading into a highly visual, enjoyable experience for proficient and struggling readers alike. Storyboards, main idea tableaux, ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Teaching Resources

To ask other readers questions about Reading Is Seeing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reading Is Seeing

Elie
Dec 31, 2015 Elie rated it it was ok
There were several factors that contributed to my mediocre feelings about this book.

First, I had just read a bunch of Kelly Gallagher books, and most of what Dr. Wilhelm states in this book can be covered in the metaphor section of Deeper Reading.

Second, I've been doing a whole lot of reading this summer, both PD books and articles for my Master's degree. I found much of the content in this book to not be new or useful. Oh, learn what students are interested in so you can be a better teacher?
Rebecca
Jan 13, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Dr. Wilhelm explores ways that instructors can work within an all too often failing educational structure. His work in inquiry based learning provides a strong foundation for instructors. Reading is Seeing is a nice addition to his body of work on this subject. He blends the theoretical with the practical (less theory in this book than others). Wilhelm provides some "right now" approaches on how to incorporate visual literacy as a scaffolding tool to increased comprehension. For the seasoned ...more
Asif
Feb 06, 2014 Asif rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book that grounds teaching practice in theory and lived examples from the classroom. In particular, i appreciate how i can relate what is shared to what and how i am teaching. In our education endeavour we are hoping to support students to "read" the world and to have ways and tools to engage in/with the world.
Mdavis
Apr 15, 2009 Mdavis rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books about teaching reading. It really goes into depth about what reading is and how to reach the hard-to-reach kids. Wilhelm uses strong theory to back up the stratgies. I love it.
Danielle
Jun 18, 2011 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Dr. Wilhelm provides teachers with a wide variety of creative visualization reading strategies and logic behind the usage of such strategies. I plan on using quite a few of these wonderful reading strategies in the upcoming school year- can't wait!
Claudia
Not a favorite-not a lot of new territory. I DID learn from their chart contrasting information and knowledge. But overall, I am disappointed.
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2009
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2009
Praj
Praj rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2010
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Paula
Aug 15, 2010 Paula rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
Good book for those that are trying to learn more about reading and the teaching of reading.
Sarah rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2009
Malbadeen
Malbadeen rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2007
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2010
Stacie
Stacie rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2009
Gladys
Gladys rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2011
Danette
Danette rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2010
Erik
Erik rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2010
Paul Warner
Paul Warner rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2008
Keva Mitchell
Keva Mitchell rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Delicia
Delicia rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Janice
Janice rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Mendel
Mendel rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2009
Cara Abbey
Cara Abbey rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Rhonda Russell-mau
Rhonda Russell-mau rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2011
Mayra
Mayra rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Mr. Locker
Mr. Locker rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2007