Bones: The Complete Apocalypse Saga

Bones: The Complete Apocalypse Saga

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  21 reviews
When mankind is visited by Three Great Apocalypses, the only thing standing in their way is a feckless but loyal, easily distracted yet occasionally ferocious German shepherd named Bones, a one-time cadaver dog with the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police. This is his amazing story.

In Bones, our hero must battle a plague of dangerous parasites that brings the dead back to life wi...more
Kindle Edition
Published by Amazon Digital Services (first published October 11th 2009)

Caleb Luplow
I absolutely loved this book. It gives a different perspective than most books, while still maintaining a realistic sense. The character building is perfect. Everyone comes and goes, but it feels like you've known them for a very long time. The book is not short on action either. Just when you feel like things couldn't become more intense, the situation escalates exponentially. I may be a bit biased. Bones is a veteran police German Shepherd. I had a German Shepherd that was a police dog as well...more
Jenessa David
Ideally, I'd give this book 4.5 stars instead.

The 'First Apocalypse' is what initially drew me in and in the end did not disappoint. Bones is a cadaver dog dealing with the zombie apocalypse and the fact that these corpses he's used to finding are suddenly getting up and trying to eat him. It's a superbly unique idea, and then add on the fact that these aren't your average zombies and they have a very interesting origin story. Just awesome.

The next two apocalypses were slightly less interestin...more
Joanne Moyer
This trilogy contains 3 stories about Bones, a police cadaver dog and how he makes his way through 3 apocalypse like happenings. While maybe not the best book(s) I ever read I never lost interest and you will want to stick it out to see what happens to Bones in the end. The 'trilogy' contains a prequel called "Mongrel" which is a story of Bones when he was younger and on the police force. I enjoyed it too and would read any others if they come along.
Greg
This was one of those, "OMG, I need some sleep but I can't put this book down..." books. If you're a dog lover, zombie hater, a hopeful Los Angeles earthquake survivor or just like a good 99.99% pandemic, these books are for you. But mostly if you're a dog lover...
Angie
I absolutely loved this book. There were 9 stories in this with each one focusing on a different case in Bones live. Bones is a police dog, trained to sniff out dead bodies but he is just so much more than that. His police handler who trained him from a puppy, officer Lionel Oudin, we find out in tale no. 5 gave him additional training.
In the first tale Bitch we find out just how much of an independent dog Bones is. He decides that a little dog named Bitch needs help in taking out a group of dr...more
Sato
Luca
An entertaining series of horror/disaster vignettes with a very talented (if not always very bright) cadaver dog at the center. The protagonist Bones is often more of a throughline into the stories of other characters, but Wheaton excels at giving you a derpy dog's POV when Bones gets to shine. The author's three-pronged vision of the apocalypse is fascinating as his cold cynicism mingles with thoroughly researched trivia of all sorts. Bones' final moments are real tearjerkers for dog-lovers, bu...more
Chris
I thought I had reviewed this book collection when I finished it a couple months back, but there it was on my to Read list, when it should have been finished. At this point, all I will say is that the main character is a dog, and you observe the end of the world (Zombie Apocalypse) through his eyes in a number of stories that intertwine together. The end of the book was quite poigniant and made me tear up a bit, which does not happen in a book for me typically. If you have owned a dog, then you...more
Jill Sulak
Loved the different take with the POV. Highly recommend.
H.L. Reasby
I really enjoyed this book. As an animal lover, and an owner of a German Shepherd, I definitely connected with Bones. There were many times that even though I knew there were further stories with Bones in them in the book, I was genuinely worried for Bones' safety.

**The editing in the third novella and the final short story get a little rough, so perhaps the author might go back and do another pass on them sometime. It didn't hugely impact my enjoyment of the stories, but it did jar me now and...more
Traci
I really enjoyed reading an apocalypse story with the main character being a dog. Wheaton did a good job developing the stories and I liked how he took the now much used (but still loved) plot of zombies and turned it into something of his own. There were a few spots where typos popped out at me, but they were minor and I was able to still enjoy the story.
Michael Roper
It was a good read and I did really enjoy that most of the story was form the view of the dog which offered a different outlook on something that could have been run of the mill. I did feel that some parts where a little unsurprising though and I did wise it was a little longer to give the characters more time to developed.
Cu Lì
Nhân vật chính là hai con heo con, Lọ Nồi thông minh và Đeo Nơ xinh đẹp, cùng bạn chó Mõm Ngắn con chị Vện, mẹ Nái Sề, anh Đuôi Xoăn, Cánh Cụt và bọn gà chíp nhà chị Mái Hoa, … đã làm nên một câu chuyện vô cùng thú vị..

Và thế giới trở nên thay đổi!
M. Jones
Fantastic book, really pushes the zombie genre and introduces us to a fascinating perspective--that of a canine struggling to survive along with his human brethren. A big thumbs up for dog fans and zombie fans alike. Great writing and a fantastic premise!
Roxi
Apr 25, 2012 Roxi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone

A post apocalyptic story, mostly seen through the eyes of an amazing German Shepherd police dog. A brilliant perspective on an "end of the world" zombie and animals gone wild narrative. A great read.
Ellen
What else to say but an amazing read for fans of horror and dogs.

I enjoyed this so much I immediately purchased Bones Omnibus which I can't wait to start.
Erin
This book was okay.... I think it's geared for way young adult.
Emily

Freaking awesome, could not put it down. Great if you enjoy mystery/scfi/horror all in one!
Cindy
James Herbert want to be. Lack of character development and continuity.
Eric Westrope
This was a fantastic read. Hard to put down. I really enjoyed it.
Betsy
I absolutely LOVED this book and didn't want it to end.
Charles Hallett
Surprisingly fun horror novella. Very fast read.
Joe Peterson
Joe Peterson marked it as to-read
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Franklin Hummel
Franklin Hummel marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Scott Caldwell
Scott Caldwell marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Dewanna L. Durbin
Dewanna L. Durbin marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
  • Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer Park
  • The Fall: The Rift Book I
  • Dead Things
  • What Zombies Fear: A Father's Quest
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • Year of the Dead
  • Sleepers
  • White Flag of The Dead
  • LZR-1143: Perspectives (Zombie Short Stories)
  • Affliction Z: Patient Zero
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
  • The Living Dead Boy
  • Fortress Britain (Arisen, #1)
  • The Plan (Roads Less Traveled, #1)
  • Outbreak (The Zombie Chronicles, #1)
  • Zomblog (Zomblog, #1)
  • The Biomass Revolution (The Tisaian Chronicles #1)
  • Ravage
Mark Wheaton is an award-winning writer best known for his work as a screenwriter "Friday the 13th," "The Messengers," and other movies. Wheaton is also the author of several (surprisingly) internationally bestselling horror novels and novellas including "Sunday Billy Sunday," "Flood Plains," and the popular "Bones" series about a feckless German shepherd who gets caught up in Apocalyptic events....more
More about Mark Wheaton...
The Cleaners: Absent Bodies Sunday Billy Sunday The Impressionist Hellhound: A Bones Adventure Flood Plains

“Roberto DeMatteis had seven species” 0 likes