Start by marking “The White Indian Boy and its sequel The Return of the White Indian Boy” as Want to Read:
The White Indian Boy and its sequel The Return of the White Indian Boy

The White Indian Boy and its sequel The Return of the White Indian Boy

First published in 1910, The White Indian Boy quickly became a western classic. Readers fascinated by real-life 'cowboys and Indians' thrilled to Nick Wilson’s frontier exploits, as he recounted running away to live with the Shoshone in his early teens, riding for the Pony Express, and helping settle Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The volume was so popular that Wilson’s son Charle ...more
Published August 5th 2005 by University of Utah Press (first published November 1985)

Be the first to ask a question about The White Indian Boy and its sequel The Return of the White Indian Boy

Heather
Sep 15, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first part of this book. It was amazing to read the story of a young Mormon boy who decided to run away from his family to join the indians. His experiences with the indians were fascinating. After he returned to his home I found it to slowly decline in excitement. By the time I finished the first book, I was ready to quit. But I decided to at least start the second book. The writing in the first book didn't bother me, but the writing in the second book was so choppy and inc ...more
Julie
May 02, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it
This book was written by my Grandfather's uncle and cousin. It is essential reading for any Conways or Cheneys. My mother rediscovered this book after discovering that her book club picked it, independently of her. I read this as a kid and it didn't disappoint reading it again with my son. It is the story of Nick, a pioneer boy living in Grantsville that meets some Shoshone Indians from Chief Washakie's tribe. He goes and lives with them for two year and is essentially another son to the Chief's ...more
Shane
Jul 01, 2014 Shane rated it liked it
Interesting history of a white Mormon boy who ran away from his family and lived with the Shoshone Indians and Chief Washakie for two years before returning home.
Nov 23, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
My dad loved the true story of the "White Indian Boy" so I felt compelled to read this. I did find the original story to be interesting and educational. I was a bit shocked at young Nick Wilson, as he seemed too ready to run away from home and too ready to get into physical fights. Nonetheless, I was reasonably entertained.

The sequel, also included in this volume, is very difficult to get through. I read it because I'm compulsive, but I can't recommend it to anyone except relatives, Jackson Hole
Janna
Apr 04, 2008 Janna rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is a great story. It's the true story of a boy that was taken by the Shoshone in the 1800's and what he learned while he was with them. This had special interest for me because he was taken from Grantsville, a town close to where I live. The book tells the life story of Nick and after he quit writing his son finished it in the sequel. Read this book. You will love it.
Mindy
Aug 01, 2013 Mindy rated it liked it
The White Indian- I found this very fascinating. No fluff or frills, lots of history. The Sequal- information was still interesting, though a much harder to follow read. Neither man is a seasoned or professional writer, but the one who didn't go to school was a better story teller, proving that 'simply put' is best.
Amy
Oct 06, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
I grew up reading the first book, The White Indian Boy and loving it. It gets 4 stars with me. Sadly the sequal was mostly irrelevant, and poorly written. Only 2 stars. So I guess it averages to three stars for my rating.
Benji Cossa
Feb 17, 2008 Benji Cossa rated it really liked it
An easy and exciting read- A first-hand account of life in a savage country along the lines of The Man Eaters of Tsavo, Little House, or Captured by the Indians.
Sara
Feb 25, 2008 Sara rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book as well as it's sequel. Very historical and funny at the same time. Highly Recommended !
Kristen
Oct 25, 2011 Kristen rated it really liked it
Great fun! It mentions a few relatives and many of the places in Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming that I know well.
Lauren Rosenbaum
Lauren Rosenbaum marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Kamara Davis
Kamara Davis marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Sharon Peirce
Sharon Peirce marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Melissa
Melissa is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2016
Erika
Erika rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Brittney Schauerhamer
Brittney Schauerhamer marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Izzy
Izzy marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Trevor Parker
Trevor Parker marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Shawna Zurface
Shawna Zurface marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Twila Bird
Twila Bird rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2015
Nicole Hames
Nicole Hames rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2015
David Compton
David Compton rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2015
C.
C. marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Manu
Manu marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Dixie
Dixie rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
Mr. Dillard
Mr. Dillard marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Bill Main
Bill Main marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015