Of Two Minds

Of Two Minds (Minds #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  1,254 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Princess Lenora and Prince Coren are two reluctant, soon-to-be-wed royals caught in a strange world that holds them hostage and robs them of their powers.
Paperback, Point Fantasy, 200 pages
Published 1998 by Scholastic (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Of Two Minds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Two Minds

Lady Knight
I originally read this book when I was ten years old and loved it. Re-reading it now, I find that the book hasn't lost any of its pleasure. Sure there are parts that seem a little simplistic now, but overall still a great read.

Lenora is a princess, but not just an plain old boring one! No, she has the ability to make whatever she imagines come true. Actually everyone from her country can. So when she hears that her betrothed can do that, she thinks he's a little handicapped. Coren can hear every...more
Inknose
I read this book so long ago. It made the hugest impression on me but for years I could never remember the title! It stuck with me so much that I would remember random sentences or scenes from it even after all that time... it drove me crazy not being able to remember what book they were from.

Obviously I can't remember much about this book, except that it was beyond strange and that it must have captured my imagination in a huge way. I'll have to re-read it!
Rachel
This book was okay, not great. I think they needed to put more of the villain in there, and that the entire first half of the story didn't make much sense.
Then again, neither did parts of the second half. (Fairies and trolls? Really? Why? Just...why? No plot importance. No significance. They get about half a scene.)
Lenora got on my nerves. She's supposed to be a strong heroine, but she comes across as bossy, self-centered, and way too used to getting her way. I liked Coren, but he comes across...more
Hannah
Princess Lenora has the ability to make whatever she imagines real like everyone else in the country of Gepeth. The problem is that all the Gepethians wont use their power because of a promise made long ago. Lenora’s parents have been fed up with her and decide to marry her off to the Prince of Andilla (Coren) who has the power to read peoples thoughts. In an attempt to escape the Marriage she discovers that Coren escapes with her into a world she has created where a tyrant rules. Coren and Leno...more
Michelle
Two minds was one of my most favorite books as a "tween". It's a very unique read for the Young(er) Adult genre when it comes to theme. The story has a little bit of everything fantasy related thrown in to the mix, from "fairyfolk", giants, doppelgangers, mind reading even a type of psychokinesis and of course a dire end-of-the-world scenario.
I've kept this book in a box with all my Fear Streets and Vampire Chronicles for 16 years before a review piqued my interest to reread it(nostalgia also...more
Kirsten
Rating: 3 stars

Recommended for: Children to young teens who enjoy fantasy and adventure.

I must admit, I was, at first, intrigued by this short little novel after reading the blurb on the back cover. I though it was an interesting and fascinating twist on the whole mind-reading-ability to have everyone else hear your thoughts, too. How would that be? I wondered. Would you be picking up on someone’s thoughts, only to have all your replies and responses broadcast to that person, or the whole room?...more
Tamara
I wanted to convince myself to even kind of like this book. I fully expect it that it's one of those things that you adore if you first read it as a twelve-year-old. I certainly would have wanted to be Lenora, because she has spunk and I was not that far from average twelve-year-old bookworm and therefore loved spunk, with extra magical powers on the side. But reading it as an adult the first time, I felt that the prose is somewhere between bland and boring, the characters are one-dimensional (y...more
Erica
The main character is a spoiled brat whose disregard for others is the direct cause of her (and others') mushrooming problems, which she barely acknowledges and never takes a moment to regret. As a role model, she sucks. Some readers may like the idea of making daydreams real, and they are very likely to miss the point, as the main character did.
Taylor
Loved this when I was a young adult. I'd only ever read the first in the series, and retread this recently so I could read the others. Have to say it wasn't as good as I remembered, but I'm twice as old as the recommended age group so that could be part of it. I definitely recommend it for young adults looking for interesting fantasy.
Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
It was a pretty quick read, and it took me about an hour or so. I haven’t read it since 6th grade, so I was long overdue for a re-read.

There were a few things that were interesting. One, Hevak was trying to create a perfect world with no misfits. I honestly have no idea if this was the authors intent (since the book is aimed at kids), but it did remind of me of Hitler. Two, it turned out that Hevak was Lenora’s imagination! Throughout the book (but mostly at the beginning), it was obvious that...more
Swan
Though this book is under the genre of teen fiction, it presents some really great philosophical and psychological questions to readers. Easy to read, with a lot movement as you progress through the story line. "Surface" writing, but enjoyable.
Tracy
This was one of my favorite books when I was younger, but I have no idea if it holds up well anymore. In retrospect, the premise is pretty simplistic, but I remember a few interesting worldbuilding twists in either this book or the sequel.
Elise
Princess Lenora, the main character, hates her world because she believes it is too boring, so she changes it every once and a while, to make it more exciting. She has the power to make anything she imagines real, but her parents forbid her to use her gift.

Prince Coren thinks his world too exciting, and only wishes his mind to be at peace. He has the power of reading anything's/anyone's mind around him. His people can read his mind as well, so he is never at peace.

To even everything out, a weddi...more
Holli  Ronquillo
A cheesy, quick fantasy read. Nothing very memorable here. It would probably appeal more to the kid audience it was written for.
Twyla
This should get three and a half. Alas. Its definitely unique and captivating once you get over the initial hurdle. Liked the storey, now i have to go see more of the series. Fyi auryn has been choosing my books thus far this year.
Arisha
i really dont like it.
Colleen
It was very difficult to get into. I didn't care about the characters. They were both rather weak, pathetic and whiny. But then, as I forced myself to finally get to the half-way point, I couldn't put it down. It seems that the early character profiles were necessary to emphasizes the grand change and adventure that they would undergo. Likewise, our own trials and boredom may one day give way to fantastic heights and unbelievable miracles, if we just act and trust in one another.
Stephanie Kerr
Prince Coren can read minds. Princess Lenora can make anything she imagines become real. Their parents want them to get married, but Lenora has other plans. She runs away to another world, accidentally taking Coren with her. Now they are stuck together until they find a way home.

Of Two Minds was an enjoyable book. I was a bit confused at the beginning, but I loved the end. Lenora got on my nerves at times with her superior attitude. I adored Coren.
Jayme Swallow
Carol Matas and Perry Nodelman's Of Two Minds and More Minds, the sequel, are about Princess Lenora and her betrothed, Coren, while Lenora's stubbornness takes them on an adventure. I read these, and liked them better, when I was younger, but they're still a fun quick read with a good moral. These are best for upper elementary/middle school readers both in level and demographic. Happy reading!

Amanda
I've recently remembered this book, and I'm curious enough to want to read it again. I read it at least three or four times when I was in elementary/middle school and loved it. I don't remember why, exactly, but I do remember that I checked it out of the library frequently. I still remember where it was shelved (on one of those revolving wire shelves). It's one of the books that got me interested in fantasy.
Gorfo
The title of this book is taken from a Shakespearean sonnet "Let us not to the marriage of two minds...". I didn't realize this until afterwards and I can't say that I read the boom because of the Shakespearean connection. Nope I just read it cause it was there. The book turned out to be a weird sci-fi historical fiction romance thing that somehow worked for this book!
Dana
I read this book first when I was in 6th grade, and loved it. I lost the book over time, but I kept thinking about it. Finally, now, at age 24, I had help finding it. I was just as excited about it as I read it, but by the end I was a little bored -- but knew that, as a 6th grader, I hadn't been. I think I will go on to re-read the next books in the series. :)
Chelsea
Two wacky teenage royals, forced by their parents into an engagement, and, oh, they can read each other's minds. Kind of. Throw in an alternate universe or two, two completely different styles of magic resulting in two completely different ways of life, and a big bad, and it's a fun, slightly out-there read for middle readers who like historical fantasy.
Seth
Aug 31, 2007 Seth rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adult
I read this book on a recommendation from my girlfriend, who is quite enamored with young adult fiction. While this book had some imaginative and clever ideas in it, I could not ignore the very juvenile style of writing. I think most kids that like fantasy novels would enjoy this light-hearted "metaphysical" style of book though.
Lyca
Read this when I was a kid. I liked the plot. The reason why I did was because when I was younger I loved stories with any kind of magic involved in them, and this book has a lot of it. Mind-reading, imaginations-come-true, and so many others put together. I'd reread this book if I had the time.
Stevie ***[HIATUS]***
Even as a 10 year old, I wasn't all that taken in by this book. It was interesting enough for me to finish it, but I wasn't inpressed. When I finished it I gave it away to a friend who hadn't read it. She held the same opinion as I do. It was ok, not terrible, but not amazing.
Klymene
Again, I read this ages ago in middle school. I remember just, kind of liking this book. The world was wonderfully fun and vibrant, but the characters were disappointing. Was I irritated with them? Potentially. But I enjoyed this read.
Jenny
Quick cute adventure with a great moral. The only reason I didn't give it more stars is because it's definitely a preteen book, written in that simple easy-read fashion that I would have loved when I was young but now...not so much.
Dana
I can't believe I forgot about this book until recently. I read it several times as a kid, and LOVED it. It's a great concept for YA fic, having it written in boy vs. girl perspective. And a fabulous introduction to YA fantasy!
Khrissy
I loved this book when I was a kid and just recently reread it for fun. It's a lot shorter than i previously thought but I still love it. Good quick read for kids, young teens or even adults who want a fun fantasy read.
  • Princess Nevermore
  • The Conjurer Princess
  • The Wind Blows Backward
  • Oddly Enough (Bruce Coville's Short Stories, #1)
  • Alien Secrets
  • Silver Eyes (Violet Eyes, #2)
  • The China Garden
  • The Secret of Dragonhome (Dragonhome, #1)
  • Zel
  • Gateway to the Gods (Everworld, #7)
  • The Merlin Effect (The Adventures of Kate, #3)
  • A Royal Pain
  • Flight of the Dragon Kyn (Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Elske (Kingdom, #4)
  • The Hermit Thrush Sings
  • Avielle Of Rhia
  • Finishing Becca: A Story about Peggy Shippen and Benedict Arnold
  • The Woman in the Wall
Daniel's Story More Minds (Minds, #2) After the War Footsteps in the Snow: The Red River Diary of Isobel Scott Turned Away: The World War II Diary of Devorah Bernstein