Start by marking “The Ring of Allaire (Winter King's War, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ring of Allaire (Winter King's War, #1)

The Ring of Allaire (Winter King's War #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  278 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Master magician Blais was dead, murdered by the evil ice-lord Nimir. Now there was only Tristan, an ill-trained apprentice, to carry on the quest to rescue Allaire, a princess held in enchanted sleep in Nimir's frozen halls. Though a thousand master mages had already failed in the quest, Tristan must succeed or all of Calandra would be doomed by Nimir's greed.

First Trista

Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Published September 12th 1981 by Del Rey Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Ring of Allaire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ring of Allaire

Kerry
Jan 22, 2012 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, fantasy, 8, reread, 2012
I have never considered my comments on books to count as "reviews". They're just my thoughts and feelings on the book I've recently finished. In the case of The Ring of Allaire this is even more true than usual as I barely talk about the contents of the book (a lovely and charming tale, it might perhaps be considered a little "old-fashioned" these days), and instead reflect on how reading it made me feel.

I had been looking forward to rereading this ever since I discovered Susan Dexter had update
Nytetyger
Feb 22, 2009 Nytetyger rated it it was amazing
One of the best fantasies I have read in a long time. The characters are in the same vein as the David Eddings 'fantasy with humor' but these are a bit more 'real' and a lot more agreeable. A good start to a lovely series.
Tracey
Apr 28, 2015 Tracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review (yes, even longer) at my blog: http://agoldoffish.wordpress.com/2011...

The basic structure of the story – of Allaire, and of the trilogy as a whole – is almost formulaic. A young man (19, I believe), orphaned very young and raised by, apprenticed to a wizard, is set on a huge quest even though he is not the most … ept of lads. He finds himself shoved into a destiny he never would have imagined, and for which would never assume himself capable. But, in the classic tradition, there’s n
Toni Moore
Good, basic fantasy story, with a somewhat bumbling apprentice mage as hero. Tristan, the apprentice mage, doesn't take himself too seriously. At times his lack of confidence in himself can be annoying. I just wanted to slap him and tell him to get over it already! But he travels on his quest with a talented and sarcastic cat, a brave and optimistic canary, and a magical warhorse. The cat and horse can communicate with Tristan telepathically. They have some of the best dialogue. The villain is b ...more
James Kidd
Dec 26, 2014 James Kidd rated it it was amazing
read it as a kid and loved it
Reading it again in the revised version on kindle. Loving it.

I read this book in its original form some 30 years ago. The hard copies are in the loft. On my second date with my now wife we talked about children's names. I said I really liked Tristan. Due to the power and magic of this book. It's not Game of Thrones. But it is not intending to be.
I'm not sure I have worked out where all of the authors' revisions come, but they I don't feel I need to. One to savour. B
Devon
Mar 14, 2015 Devon rated it liked it
I’m not doing very well at this regularly reviewing books, am I?

So, I read the first couple of chapters of this a long time ago, but for some reason I never finished it. Still, the image of the proud horse forced to become part of a carousel stuck in my head and I’ve always wanted the chance to find out what happened next.

It’s a pleasant enough book, but it took me a long time to get even a little invested. Our hero is a foundling whose only inheritance is a sword, we have a long lost heir, they
Joy
Oct 29, 2011 Joy rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It takes some high fantasy tropes--worn ones at that--and does marvelous things with them.
Jennifer Heise
Sep 09, 2015 Jennifer Heise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy, fantasy
I loved this book as a teenager, and have always wanted to have ten different rings, one for each finger, based on this. Also, I identified with the wizard's apprentice far too much. It's a bit bland for me as an adult, especially as it was a book I read over and over. But Dexter's prose still has some magic for me.
Sheryl Tribble
Jan 24, 2015 Sheryl Tribble rated it really liked it
One of the better fantasy novels I have read, although as I recall I thought the author improved for each of the two sequels (which is often not the case). Classic fantasy tropes, but the plot is not so predictable as it first appears, and the characters (or some of the characters) are well-rounded and more human than usual for the type.

Also has a wonderful cat character, a believable bird character who is not a Noble Hunter, and a lovely magical horse. The plot makes enough sense I'm not consta
Leslie
Feb 17, 2015 Leslie rated it really liked it
Well enough written to keep me going and I liked that it was one of three so there was more chance to get to know the characters. Also liked that a horse was a main character.
Jonathan
The ice is coming and who shall fight it?
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Pamela Kource
Pamela Kource rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Trista Weir
Trista Weir rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Lutheran
Lutheran rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Brin
Brin marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Ann Leuenberger
Ann Leuenberger rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2016
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Jens Walter
Jens Walter marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Nic
Nic rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2016
Glenn Lawrence
Glenn Lawrence rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Susan Forshey
Susan Forshey rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2015
Deborah Cook
Deborah Cook marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
  • Exiles of the Rynth (Irissa and Kendric #2)
  • The Outcast (Time Master, #2)
  • Child of Saturn (The Green Lion Trilogy, Book 1)
  • Divine Endurance (Divine Endurance #1)
  • The Witches of Wenshar (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #2)
  • Windmaster's Bane (David Sullivan, #1)
  • The Grey Mane of Morning
  • The Best of Marion Zimmer Bradley Fantasy Magazine Volume 1
  • Elvendude (SERRAted Edge #6)
  • The Door Into Fire (The Tale of the Five, #1)
  • The Troll's Grindstone
  • Cloudbearer's Shadow (Sword in Exile, #1)
  • The Mirror Prince
  • Point of Hopes (Astreiant, #1)
  • The God Stalker Chronicles (Kencyrath, #1-2)
  • A Rose-Red City
  • Dark Horse (Dark Horse #1)
  • Kedrigern in Wanderland (Kedrigern, #3)
Susan Dexter’s favorite subject for her books is fantasy and throughout her life has worked as a librarian, teacher, and writer.

Susan received her first award, the Merit Award, in 1976 from the Lawrence County Open Arts Show. She also received the Distinguished Award from them in 1982 and 1983. The Wizard’s Shadow was listed among the “Books for the Teen Age” in 1993 by the New York Public Librar
More about Susan Dexter...

Winter King's War (3 books)
  • The Sword of Calandra (Winter King's War, #2)
  • The Mountains of Channandran (Winter King's War, #3)