Start by marking “Sudden Fiction Latino: Short-Short Stories from the United States and Latin America” as Want to Read:

Following on the success of the Flash Fiction and Sudden Fiction series, Robert Shapard and James Thomas join with Ray Gonzalez in selecting works that each present a complete story in less than 1,500 words. Luisa Valenzuela, one of Latin America’s most lauded writers, provides the introduction. Readers will delight in finding stars such as Junot Díaz, Sandra Cisneros, and ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sudden Fiction Latino, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sudden Fiction Latino

Lilly
Sep 01, 2014 Lilly rated it really liked it
So many little pleasurable nuggets of literature! I'll always remember this book for introducing me to the inimitable Ana Maria Shua.
John
Aug 16, 2010 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
A quick, mostly enjoyable read although I'll be the dissenting voice that says the combination of U.S. latinos and Latin American wrtiers is a little weird. Part of me feels that it would have been a better compilation were it focused entirely on the Latin American microcuento, especially because lots of great authors are missing - Alberto Chimal, Ignacio Solares - to cite two examples would have been welcome additions who are currently very under translated. This perspective has its limitations ...more
Jessica Knauss
Mar 28, 2011 Jessica Knauss rated it really liked it
I'm biased with my background in Hispanic Literature, but I agree with the editors that the best short fiction comes out of Latin America and US Latinos. There is a huge variety of stories here, a very strong point of the book. Sometimes, a story has to be read a couple of times for it to have any resonance for me, and of course different readers will prefer different stories, but with so much material, you're sure to find something that you like! I love the short-short format and feel that it c ...more
Benjamin
Dec 16, 2012 Benjamin rated it liked it
Reading this collection of sudden fiction felt like attending a highly-populated lovely house party, where the well-connected host was showing me around to all of their friends. We would chat, and in a few minutes I'd get to know these strange, interesting people before being whisked away towards a completely different person. It's not like I was a complete stranger to the party guests: I'd hung out with Junot Diaz and Gabriel Garcia Marquez before, and it was cool to finally meet friends-of-fri ...more
mis fit
Jan 02, 2016 mis fit rated it really liked it
For some reason, I am having trouble writing a review of this one. I definitely enjoyed it, though. There are a lot of really great, beautiful, heartbreaking pieces included. I also liked the format a lot-- the way my schedule is these days, it has been so nice to be able to pick up this book for just 5 minutes and read an entire story. I look forward to reading more from a lot of these authors...
May-Ling
Mar 30, 2015 May-Ling rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
whew, i thought i would never finish this book. it's just under 300 pages, but when each story is 1-4 pages, the math comes out to be a million stories in this book. i should have taken the hint by the title (sudden) but i didn't quite understand how short these stories would be. from the pace of reading it, i would have preferred an occasional 20 page story every now and then, just to make the book feel less abrupt.

the stories themselves were all over the board in terms of how i felt about the
Carly Berg
Sep 15, 2014 Carly Berg rated it liked it
I gave it a three because I enjoyed some of the stories and must have liked the whole well enough, since I did finish it. But over all this one just didn't grab me as much as some of the other flash anthologies I've read.
Janey Skinner
Mar 16, 2015 Janey Skinner rated it really liked it
Wonderful variety of short-short stories, both from Latin America and from Latinos living in the US.
Kristy
Mar 15, 2010 Kristy rated it really liked it
This is an extremely well-edited collection of short-short fiction (that is stories that are less than five pages long, mostly less than two pages long, and some even shorter than that) by Latino and Latin American authors. The collection does a nice job of showing the strengths of the extra-short story and the variety of styles from writers across Latin America and Latinos in the United States. I also discovered that this collection is just about the most perfect thing to read in an airport.
Juliet
Jan 11, 2011 Juliet rated it really liked it
For some reason, short stories have never caught my attention, but short short stories provide palatable gems without landing in the no-mans-land of ambiguous length. This collection boasts a range of topics, styles, approaches, and themes, but a great deal of them really impressed me. In particular, Day Ah Dallas Mare Toes, by Luna Calderón, sings with poignant charm and cries out for being taught in middle/high school language arts classes.
Jason
Mar 20, 2014 Jason rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Some stories here are awesome (Junot Diaz is just one), and some are just okay.
Chris
Dec 01, 2015 Chris rated it did not like it
I liked the idea of this collection of very short stories, but the variety was just too great, the styles too varied, for me to really enjoy it. I thought I'd pick it up when I just wanted a quick read here and there, before bed if I felt tired, etc. But I kept passing it up, and now I'm just going to admit it: this book wasn't for me.
Valarie
It's so tough to rate short story collections because the quality of the stories varies. Overall, about 75% of these selections were very good, and only a few were unreadable, so I settled on 3 stars. This is a great book to have in a purse or the car, for when you may only have a few minutes of spare time waiting in line or something.
Robert
Apr 05, 2010 Robert rated it liked it
Like a typical anthology, there are some stories within that are amazing, some that are good, and some that are so-so. Regardless of what category in which each story falls, this is a very enjoyable collection and is a must for readers wanting to learn more about Latino culture.
Eireann
Nov 19, 2012 Eireann rated it it was amazing
In the course I am teaching on Latin@ lit, the students were the most interested in the neat little stories I found in here to share with them.
Jacqueline
Wholly enjoyable and diverse exemplars of postmodern, magical realist, and other significant Latin American motifs.
DiForBooks
Seems I'm not a fan of short, short fiction. I'll read several more stories to see if I change my mind. 6/18/10
Dan Bostrom
Apr 28, 2010 Dan Bostrom rated it liked it
Shelves: latinamerica
I love short stories and this is a great collection of new and old names. Doesn't get better than this.
Bruno
May 16, 2010 Bruno rated it liked it
It's worth reading, although some of the short stories were not the type I usually like to read
Leigh
Apr 12, 2013 Leigh rated it it was amazing
great collection of short-short and micro stories -- some in translation.
Chante Reid
Apr 12, 2013 Chante Reid rated it really liked it
A lot of hits. A couple of misses.
Tanya
Oct 30, 2013 Tanya rated it really liked it
Shelves: shot-stories
The ones I read, I enjoyed.
Vileana
Jun 28, 2012 Vileana rated it it was amazing
You need to read this book if you want to continue telling people you like short stories. I am that serious.
Jenny Neill
Jenny Neill is currently reading it
Sep 09, 2016
Yadi
Yadi marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Britney Miller
Britney Miller is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2016
Agnes Marton
Agnes Marton rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Madeline
Madeline marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016