Start by marking “Vernon Can Read!” as Want to Read:
Vernon Can Read!

Vernon E. Jordan Jr.

Vernon Can Read!

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  125 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
From the civil rights revolution to the halls of power, this is the life story of a larger-than-life American leader. As a student in Atlanta, Vernon Jordan had a summer job driving a white banker around town. During the man's afternoon naps, Jordan passed the time reading books, a fact that astounded his boss. "Vernon can read!" the man exclaimed to his relatives. Nearly ...more
Audio, 10 pages
Published December 1st 2001 by Sound Library (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Vernon Can Read!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vernon Can Read!

Isla McKetta
May 27, 2012 Isla McKetta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book over a decade ago because I was a poli sci wonk who wanted to go into government. I finally started reading it this week because I wanted to know more about the history of civil rights in the US. What I learned from it, though, was about leadership, drive, and perseverance. Written in a matter of fact memoir style (which is not my favorite), this book is clear, inspiring, and educational.
Victor McGuire
Nov 28, 2010 Victor McGuire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To me, a quiet leader that we just don't hear enough about, maybe he likes it that way.
Well said Vernon, excellent account of a great story.
Ebony Jones-Kuye
I love this book! I love to read stories of someone fighting to achieve their dreams from humble beginnings. I read this book about three years ago when I got it at Barnes & Noble. My daughter and husband enjoyed Mr. Jordan's story too! This is a great book that would motivate anyone to fight for their dreams and never listen to anyone that won't support you in achieving greatness in your life!
Charlotte Newman
Jun 13, 2012 Charlotte Newman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Vernon Jordan's life. Though like me, Jordan is a native Atlantan, he grew up in an era with few opportunities for black Americans. However, Jordan was able to build an incredible career and push for basic rights and civil liberties for all blacks. I was particularly inspired by how Jordan led. He offers repeatedly in his book that he is a loner. Still, he was able to take the helm of large institutions and execute.

The book is well written. There are several in
Kelly Norton
Jan 29, 2009 Kelly Norton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to read this. I scooted through the first half, which was a touching, fascinating look at growing up educated and black...and that was just the intro. His struggle between the expectations of two cultures is very interesting.

Unfortunately half way through once he "made it," the book became more of an anthropological look at his employment history. You know early in the Bible where they list all of the bagattin'? AJ wasn't that boring, but close. I'd still recommend the book fo
Cephas Martin
Mar 10, 2014 Cephas Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book on his life. Valuable leadership and career lessons.
Sari Lynn
Mar 31, 2008 Sari Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
A coming of age memoir of a young black man a pivotal time in our country's civil rights movement. After working with the NAACP, the Voter Education Project, and leading the United Negro College Fund, Jordan went on to become an advisor to President Bill Clinton. His story suffers somewhat from an understated, and at times awkward reading by the author.
Linda
Mar 12, 2010 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read of the life of Vernon Jordan. He portrays himself as a very positive person. He's a very intriguing character. He has so much confidence to become a leader. His family support was so great - they made him. I learned a lot about the civil rights movement - something I need to learn more about.
Amber Berry
Jul 26, 2012 Amber Berry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I own this book. For some reason, I happened to listen to the book on tape after I purchased it. I recommend listening to Vernon Jordan tell his story in his own voice. It carries a deeper meaning when hearing it with the inflections he uses.
Stefanie
I read the first few chapters of this for work... I enjoyed it, though I probably won't ever get back to reading the rest. Mr. Jordan has an interesting life story and he shares several moving and provocative memories.
sima
Apr 28, 2012 sima rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written, humble depiction of a legendary character. The humility and insights into how Jordan approaches situations shows, rather than tells, the authenticity that makes him such a legend.
Marilyn Griffin
May 17, 2011 Marilyn Griffin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Very much enjoyed this book, which was required for a class but I never finished it. My mom found it and is now reading it.
Kathy
Did not know anything about Vernon Jordan prior to reading this - gave a remarkable face to the Civil Rights Movement.
Mitch Mitchell
I learned that you can make it to the top in American society, if you have the motivation and desire to succeed.
Tony Smith
Sep 16, 2010 Tony Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great great read, eye opening. This man has HEART. Yes he is BRILLIANT too.
Julianne
Jan 01, 2010 Julianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, interesting, and very eye-opening. Highly recommended.
Barry
How Jordan became a national leader by listening to his mom.
Judy
Sep 06, 2012 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating memoir of an era. Well worth reading.
Alejandro Garcia-amaya
Great illustration of Perseverance
Sara
Jan 22, 2009 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting life story.
Leon A.
Leon A. rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Cherish Nia
Cherish Nia marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Leanna Pohevitz
Leanna Pohevitz marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Eva Van Rhyn
Eva Van Rhyn marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Ardilia Wesley
Ardilia Wesley rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Lady's Night
  • An Idea Whose Time Has Come: Two Presidents, Two Parties, and the Battle for the Civil Rights Act of 1964
  • A Private Affair
  • Bridge of the Single Hair
  • The Godfather Of Soul: An Autobiography
  • In Her Presence: A Husband's Dirty Secret
  • The Bond: Three Young Men Learn to Forgive and Reconnect with Their Fathers
  • A Little Book of Mormon (and Not So Mormon) Stories
  • Drama In The Church
  • A Murder in Virginia: Southern Justice on Trial
  • Yes Yes Y'all: The Experience Music Project Oral History Of Hip-hop's First Decade
  • Something Must Be Done About Prince Edward County: A Family, a Virginia Town, a Civil Rights Battle
  • Too Close to Call: The Thirty-Six-Day Battle to Decide the 2000 Election
  • Ghetto Girls
  • The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama
  • The Woman Behind the New Deal: The Life of Frances Perkins, FDR'S Secretary of Labor and His Moral Conscience
  • Colored People