Start by marking “A Gentleman by Any Other Name” as Want to Read:
A Gentleman by Any Other Name

A Gentleman by Any Other Name (Romney Marsh #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  395 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
This first novel in Michaels's new Regency trilogy is the story of a widowed London gentleman who hires a mysterious woman as governess for his young daughter. He quickly learns that she is the only one who can soothe his savaged soul. Original.
Hardcover, Large Print, 367 pages
Published August 31st 2006 by Center Point (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Gentleman by Any Other Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gentleman by Any Other Name

Bronwyn Rykiert
Kasey Michaels has done it again and fabulously so with the most endearing characters you could hope to find peopling Becket House on Romney Marsh! The dialogs are brilliant, the characters are mesmerizing, the sensuality inspiring, and the chuckles are endless! I predict the unconventional Beckets of Romney Marsh are going to wheedle their way into the readers' hearts as they have certainly done in mine.

Chance Becket and Julia Carruthers are fabulous protagonists that were simply made for one a
Susan
I was reading merrily along - a dark stranger, a hired governess, Romney Marsh, smuggling, strange characters, a long coach ride, wounded men in roadway, a big mansion by the sea - when all of a sudden - boom - lost interest. I don't know. The beginning was interesting enough but once the couple got to Romney Marsh the story seemed to stall. Instead of a Dr. Syn-type of story with smuggling, I got a hero chasing his daughter's governess. I realize this is a romance but I would have liked to have ...more
ChloeLeeNH
Mar 21, 2009 ChloeLeeNH rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe not a keeper but I really enjoyed this start to the series. The heroine never played the damsel in distress and I love how she kept the hero on his toes... she said things that constantly had him realizing that all his tactics were NOT working. It was great. I liked the back story and also how every one of the characters was built up. I am looking forward to finding the rest of this series!
Maggie Tideswell
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was well written and the setting of Romney Marsh completely new to me. The main characters were delightfully refreshing. Not your run of the mill romance. I recommend this book to anyone who love romance with backbone.
Swhe641200
1.2015. Read from Carolyns ipad. It was a good story had some steamy scenes.
Deirdre
Chance Becket has become slightly estranged from his eccentric family. After his wife's death he decides to return to his family home to give his daughter a chance at a family life. He finds Julia Carruthers to nanny his daughter in desperation on both their parts, he finds himself very attracted to her.

The setup is a bit hokey and many of the excuses are a bit strained but it's a fun read. Some of the twists and turns took me by surprise.
Laine
Jun 06, 2012 Laine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a very fast-paced romance story between chance and julia. there was little romance between the main characters but it focuses more on the issue of gangs, smugglers and the like. it was also interesting how julia was easily accepted in the family and she had knowledge of how their business goes and what danger it might bring. even if that was the case she still is thinking of alice's safety it's like she is a natural mother.
Polly
Nov 15, 2012 Polly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Great Book, Great family interaction. Great introduction to a family held together by love and loyalty.
Strong main characters. Darling children. And, last but not least, a great mystery. This is a great
introduction to a new series.
Rebecca
Oct 12, 2007 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it interesting plot backdrop. Eight children not related but raised as though they are. Some remembering a different life and others not.
The mystery kept my attention as well. I won't say it wasn't solvable but it was an enjoyable ride.
Deborah Sullivan
I'm not so much for the pirate/smuggler books in general. Although this was well written.
Courtney Anderson
Jul 29, 2008 Courtney Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Very easy to get through. The characters are quarky and fun.
Keira
Jaya
Jaya rated it it was ok
May 04, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Vanyer
Vanyer rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Carole-Ann
Carole-Ann rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Desi
Desi marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
RaeLatte
RaeLatte rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Karen Gregory
Karen Gregory marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Upasana Swain
Upasana Swain rated it really liked it
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Kami Neely
Kami Neely rated it it was amazing
Sarah Rohde
Sarah Rohde marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Helen
Helen added it
Mar 30, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Mar 28, 2016
RODNEY MATSUSHIMA
RODNEY MATSUSHIMA rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Vani
Vani rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
  • Masquerading Mistress
  • In My Heart (Donally Family, #1)
  • The Rake's Inherited Courtesan
  • Love Is in the Heir (Featherton Sisters, #4)
  • Where the Heart Leads (Casebook of Barnaby Adair, #1)
  • The Naked King (Naked Nobility, #7)
  • An Unforgettable Rogue (Rogues Club, #2)
  • Wicked (Regency Trilogy, #1)
  • Bound to the Barbarian (Palace Brides #1)
  • Mistaken Mistress
  • Scandal's Daughter (Series, #1)
  • The Notorious Knight (King John, #2)
  • Princess Charming (Men from Special Branch, #2)
  • Captain Fawley's Innocent Bride (The Fawley's, #2)
  • To Marry a Matchmaker
  • The Bride Hunt (Matchmaker Duncan Sisters, #2)
  • Taken by the Wicked Rake (Regency Silk & Scandal, #8)
  • The Rogue (Liar's Club, #5)
Kasey Michaels is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of more than 100 books (she doesn't count them). Kasey has received three coveted Starred Reviews from Publishers Weekly, two for the historical romances, THE SECRETS OF THE HEART and THE BUTLER DID IT, and a third for contemporary romance LOVE TO LOVE YOU BABY (that shows diversity, you see). She is a recipient of the RITA, a W ...more
More about Kasey Michaels...

Romney Marsh (7 books)
  • The Dangerous Debutante (Romney Marsh, #2)
  • Beware Of Virtuous Women (Romney Marsh, #3)
  • A Most Unsuitable Groom (Romney Marsh #4)
  • A Reckless Beauty (Romney Marsh, #5)
  • The Return Of The Prodigal (Romney Marsh #6)
  • Becket's Last Stand (Romney Marsh, #7)