Start by marking “Graffiti World (Updated Edition): Street Art from Five Continents” as Want to Read:
Graffiti World (Updated Edition): Street Art from Five Continents

Graffiti World (Updated Edition): Street Art from Five Continents

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  6,368 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Graffiti World, now updated, is the most comprehensive and bestselling survey of graffiti art ever published. The original collection of more than 2,000 illustrations by over 150 artists around the world is joined by a new section devoted to work created in the five years since the book's first edition.

Graffiti has long been a ubiquitous aspect of the urban landscape, sinc
Published September 1st 2009 by Abrams (first published October 18th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Graffiti World (Updated Edition), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Graffiti World (Updated Edition)

Zöe Yu
Had this book for several years, today finally I finished it.

Starting from my Macau days, I have a special love for street art, to be specific, graffitis. The book illustrated me the reason, it is because it's a special way of expressing one's thought, an illegal way in most of the cases.

However, most of the artists chosen to the book were of traditional tags, with their 3D letters, a bit boring. Only Bansky, Pisa73 are embedded with meanings. More anonymous graffitis are inspiring.

Second thi
Dorota
Feb 26, 2013 Dorota rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
GRAFFITI IS

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder: perhaps that eye will benefit from this well-designed, well-written, and well-documented survey of international graffiti art.

Nicholas Ganz has researched the topic of Street Art known in as Graffiti and in this comprehensive book has gathered images not only from the United States but from five continents.The book gives us images identified by artist with a brief biography accompanied by panorama shots of the larger scale works coupled with detai
David Torres
Sep 17, 2008 David Torres rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to any graffiti lover
Recommended to David by: My Uncle
Man this book is da best of the best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best bestbest best best best best best best best best best bestbest best best best best best best best best best bestbest best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best best b ...more
Amy
Open Space

The house I’m moving into next week backs up to open space, which, in my eco-conscious town, means the area is surrounded by protected green belts that can’t be developed. While the neighborhood is residential it’s also unincorporated and thus slightly off the grid. Our back deck is near a serene creek path—mountains in the distance—long loops to walk and walk. As we were looking at the house I was surprised to see “FUCK THE POLICE” scrawled in red spray paint on the path where the bac
Orsolya
I'm a bit biased to the graffiti and street art world. Why? Frankly, my boyfriend is an established artist who is featured in the currently renowned Street Art exhibit at the MOCA here in Los Angeles (even Banksy has attended) and we, together, are involved in a street art duo project.

The Graffiti World series is known amongst not only art-lovers but the artist themselves. Delightfully featuring some of the greats but also diving deeper into the world of some of street art's lesser-known artist
Bookaholic
Cu o scurta introducere pentru cei mai putin familiarizati cu arta graffiti, cu texte concentrate si sugestive si cu puneri utile in context, cartea lasa imaginile sa vorbeasca – contine peste 2000 de fotografii a lucrarilor a peste 180 de artisti din toate colturile lumii (din pacate, nu regasim nici un artist roman aici).

O rasfoiesti cu orele, te pierzi in peisajele urbane desenate, intri in lumea fantastica a grafferilor si inveti sa privesti altfel orasul. (http://bookaholic.ro/graffiti-arta
Ruth
Perhaps not the best-written or most informative of books, but it serves well as an introduction. The photographs are stunning, as seeing as they take up 90% of the space I can't complain :)
RandySavvage-KFK-2010
Graffiti World, one of my all time favs . Me being a graff artist and always looking for new ideas this book opened up the world of graff like brand new box of sneakers. One thing I love about this book is the fact that it’s like a trip around the world in only about 3 days. I also like the art style and pictures. And finally I really like the whole layout of the book itself.

This book is like wham...it’s like a ride on American Airlines. I mean they take you from the Americas to Europe in like 1
Brayden Doane
This is an awesome book.

It has tons of pictures off of the streets (and walls and fire hydrants and light poles). The book's chapters are organized by continent. The artists are listed in alphabetical order in their continent. THe book gives details on the impact of street art on individual continents and the artist's individual style.

Graffiti World may be one of the most inspirational art books you'll ever read.
Caylina
If you love graffiti art, you'll love this book. It is covered with many, many graffiti artists and their works. It's a beautiful hardcover and the inside glossy pages are vibrant with color. There are short bios for the works and artists as well. It's a nice book to add to your collection.
Craig
I learned a lot from this book.

I always had thought of graffiti as an amazing artform, but never was a big fan of tagging. This book showed so many levels and styles to the art, but also made me understand the idea of tagging a lot more as well. When you boil it down to its simplest point, it could be said that all artists and writers are tagging the world - trying to get their name out there.

It was very cool to see the graffiti of so many cultures around the world.

The layout and photography are
Cindy
Miscreants, Criminals. Most people see graffiti artists as outcasts, but this book displays them for the artists they truly are.
The introduction gives a brief history of graffiti art then breaks down into three sections; the Americas, Europe, and the rest of the world. Within each section a particular artist or group of artists (if they work together) are highlighted, showing some of their work, and giving information about their style and how they obtained their style.
This was a fascinating
Mii
This book was a great read!
B. Doane
a useful reference book.

great for art lovers. unfotrunately, the book doesn't contain many details on the artists (how often they paint, inspiration, mediums, influence), but, considering the amount of artists in the book, it's understandable.

if you are looking for one specific artist, this isn't the book for you. if you want to admire street art in general, i recomend it.
Marissa Barbieri
Oddly enough, I was checking out this book online at the store not long back, and walked by the other day to see it in the window! I've only done a casual flip-through as of yet, but it seems like a pretty comprehensive and well-made tome. I saw some fantastic graffiti in Italy, so I'm very interested to see what the rest of the world has to offer.
 Barb Bailey
This book was insteresting......the graphics were very good. The information was limited. I thought I would learn more about graffiti. The book showcased different graffiti artists from around the world. I did learn about tagging ; artists who want to literally leave their mark on society. It gets a 3 1/2 rating from me.
Maria
Picture book of graffiti of the world. Interesting.

Why I started this book: Graffiti was part of my daily commute in DC. I thought that this was a cool concept and I wanted to see the art and history of it.

Why I finished it: Waiting for my dinner to finish cooking, I flipped it through it. Not as cool as I was expecting.
Tiffmoney
May 22, 2011 Tiffmoney rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: browsers , artists, and happy people
Great for photos.
Fun and good.

However... lots of prolific and lesser known artists are not included. I'm aware it would be difficult to present all graff artists in one book I was surprised that certain artists were not included.

If this book interests you, I also recommend Graffiti Women (same series).
Barry
This book was pretty disappointing. Most of the art was great--as to be expected--but a lot of the actual write-ups about the artists sucked and had nothing to offer. Get this book if you want a pretty cool gallery of graffiti, not if you're looking to read about it.
Gwen
This is another one that I'm not sure can really count as read. Since it isn't focused like Graffiti Women is it ends up feeling kind of diluted. There is some amazing work in this, but for the most part the work in it isn't all that great.
Jaimesummer Sammons
Must have been that high school boyfriend that introduced me to the art that graffiti is...living in LA helped too. Wish it appeared more on canvases than say, the new wall just built for the library...
Courtney
Beautiful photography of leading graffiti artist around the world! The textual content is minimal, but the emphasis on artistic influence, style, and development is astounding.
David
Dosť dobrý náhľad do šúčasného graffiti vo svete. Prehľadne napísané a s pomerne dobrým dizajnom. Tú jednu hviezdu strhávam za prílišné sústredenie sa na USA.
Mike
this book was really good there wasnt a lot of reading but alot of good pictures and i learned about writers in other countries i never knew about.
Chris
Nov 28, 2007 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the cool kids
Beautiful. Just amazingly beautiful graffiti from around the world. Amazing the things that can be done with sharpies and cans of spray paint.
Andy
A wonderful perusal of art around the world! A treat for those aesthetically inclined with a sense of adventure and rebelliousness.
Matt
amazing art. awesome intro to the variety of graffiti out there. it really introduces you to the epic quality possible by these artists.
محمد الهاشمي
A mosaic of protest art combined with anti-corporate subverts. This is the ultimate collection of revolutionary art of today
Josh
the best graffiti book i've read and the biggest and the one with the most info. about writers. best book for graffiti
Ruth Govaerts
Echt een leuk boek met prachtige en indrukwekkende graffiti kunstwerken. Graffiti is geen 'crime' graffiti is 'kunst'!
  • Subway Art
  • Sacred Mirrors: The Visionary Art of Alex Grey
  • But is It Art?: An Introduction to Art Theory
  • Vitamin P: New Perspectives in Painting
  • Celtic Art: The Methods of Construction
  • Urgent 2nd Class: Creating Curious Collage, Dubious Documents, and Other Art from Ephemera
  • The Power of Art
  • 1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations
Graffiti Women: Street Art from Five Continents Graffiti World/Graffiti Women Two-Pack Graffiti World 2008 Wall Calendar Street Messages