Start by marking “Bad Heir Day” as Want to Read:
Bad Heir Day

Bad Heir Day

2.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,529 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
"An aspiring novelist who's never going to be model-thin (the only men who stop her on the street are tourists asking directions), Anna is realistic about her romantic prospects. Most of the time. She should have seen it coming when Sebastian, her filthy-rich, drop-dead gorgeous boyfriend, asks her to move out, along with the only thing he ever gave her: an old beaver coat ...more
Published February 28th 2001 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Heir Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Heir Day

Anna
Oct 11, 2010 Anna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The only thing I can't figure out is why I kept reading to the end. Painful.
Jennie
Dec 17, 2012 Jennie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up because I desperately needed something fluffy to keep from thinking for a couple of days. This met that requirement, anyway: it's definitely the kind of nonsense that leads to dropping a few IQ points.

Don't get me wrong: there's nothing wrong with fluff and some can be quite fun to read. This just wasn't one of those: I found the main character to be an insipid, mousy doormat with no "sparkle" and the secondary characters all rather hateful in a cartoonish way (too-skinny drunke
Amy!
Sep 08, 2012 Amy! rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Part of my problem with this book was perhaps that it had more modern British slang and pop culture references than I could relate to. But a much bigger part of my problem with this book was that not a single character was sympathetic. The main character wants to be a writer but ends up as a "writer's assistant" nanny to a horrid wretch of a woman who found fame and fortune by writing four trashy novels and is now plagued with writers block because she drinks too much. Her son is a sociopathic h ...more
Camelama
Jul 07, 2012 Camelama rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful book. The supposed heroine is boring, lackluster, dispassionate and so annoying. Get a backbone, if you want your life to change then CHANGE IT! The other characters were universally unlikeable, the plot was ridiculous even for trashy chick lit. Things I wanted to know about the characters were passed over for endless descriptions of boozing and makeup, plot points were skipped over willy-nilly, and overall the book needed a hell of a critique group to pull it to pieces so that the author ...more
Emma
Apr 30, 2009 Emma rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
By far the worst Wendy Holden book, I found this book excruciating to read and just wanted it to be over. An example of the worst chick lit, do not read!
Monica M

Funny and quite well written. This is the story when everyone got their happy ending. Yes,that include the bad character :D However there's part that i don't like:
(view spoiler)
Anne
Aug 01, 2011 Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Anna takes a job as a nanny but then she leaves that job to get married, and then she doesn't get married. Really jumps around a lot and I never got a sense of who the characters really were... It was too British, filled with euphemisms I couldn't understand and pop culture references that made no sense because I wasn't raised in England. If you are going to sell your book in other countries you should make sure the references are broad or big enough that other markets will understand where you ...more
Nancy Brady
Jan 26, 2014 Nancy Brady rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
A chick-lit novel featuring an aspiring writer who has a love life that is hardly inspiring. Will Anna find love? Will Cassandra, Jett, and their incorrigible son manage to deal with their issues? Just an okay read overall.
whimbrel
Apr 25, 2015 whimbrel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not only did I read this terrible excuse for 'chick lit', I read it *twice*. The author looked vaguely familiar so I picked it up, and once I was a chapter in I realized that it sounded kind of familiar but I wasn't quite sure. By the fourth I was sure I had read it but could never seem to remember further than about a chapter ahead so I ended up finishing it. Definitely not my best decision.

The main character has no spine. At all. She tolerates her boyfriend getting handsy with other girls (inc
Kay
Oct 09, 2009 Kay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm not into this kind of book at all. The main character annoyed me with her inability to cope with anything and her desperation for a boyfriend as though he were a missing appendage. Whilst I am sure there were a few moments that made me smile, I think it must have been so fleeting it barely registered. I'm still puzzling over why I read this and, possibly, the most interesting part of reading it is why I bothered in the first place.
Alicia Kline
This one took a bit for me to finish. I'm no stranger to British fiction, but this novel seemed to be filled to the brim with slang and cultural references that were unfamiliar to my American background. But I kept reading, as I always do, because I hate leaving things unfinished.

Is it bad that the only character that I consistently enjoyed was Zak? That child was so horribly behaved that he was always good for comic relief. He was a stereotypical spoiled rich kid who could do no wrong in his mo
Tressa
May 20, 2012 Tressa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I didn't like Bad Heir Day. I despised several characters. The only character that was mildly likeable was Anna and she was treated horribly. I also couldn't believe how she accepted such treatment, too. I can't believe I continued reading this book in hopes of something good happening to Anna. The pay-off wasn't worth it. I would not recommend this book.
Anne Meyer
Aug 05, 2012 Anne Meyer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a .99 deal on the nook. I didn't understand some of the language here and there since I'm not familiar with british slang, but that isn't why I didn't like the book. I just didn't care for the storyline. I'm not even sure why I finished the book.
Megan Jordan
I enjoyed both Farm Fatale and Beautiful People much more than this novel of Holden's. There was a reliance on drippy and supposedly witty satirical language and dialogue that felt forced and unnatural. It wasn't funny enough to read it in every line. The characters were awful, and never really saw their comeuppance (which I like seeing in my books), and the "heroine" never really seemed to be the focus. She was a writer that we barely saw write. The story dragged so long that it took me weeks t ...more
Cindy
Jun 25, 2015 Cindy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Anna
I hated her character. I think Wendy Holden depicted her as lacking in confidence, spineless, stupid and lost. There is not an itch of reality in the character. If WH was attempting to create a character who is likeably clumsy - then she failed.

1. How did she get with Seb? Why does she allow him to kiss other women in the first chapter? Why does she continue to stay with him after she hears he has been calling her bad in bed? Why is she happy to be a live in maid?

2. In what universe does a
Naomi Nair
Jul 31, 2014 Naomi Nair rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I've an admission to make - I didn't read the whole book. Actually, I couldn't read it after the first 50 pages. Gosh... 50 pages!! Enough to drive a sane man, in this case, woman, mad! I skipped so many pages along the way and finished a 400 pages book in half an hour!! See, I can do impossible things when I put my mind to it!!

Anyway, the book takes you through the life of Anna somebody - pathetic, self pitier, desperate, annoyingly guileless and for the lack of a better word, boring (jus
Alana
May 24, 2016 Alana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asfb, 2014, owned
Sherri Hunter
I immediately got a clear sense of how miserable Anna’s life is when I began this book. The author doesn’t waste precious time or pages dragging the reader through a maze of miscommunication and inner dialogue to bring us to the conclusion that Anna’s life is crap. I rather enjoyed that this information is thrown into the mix right from the start. It’s important that I learned this sooner rather than later because only then would I understand how Anna could end up working for Cassandra Knight, a ...more
Roberta
Jun 17, 2015 Roberta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007, chicklit
Ferina
Jul 12, 2007 Ferina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Anna gembira sekali ketika mendapat lamaran yang ditempelkannya di papan pengumuman perpustakaan akhirnya mendapat jawaban, tidak tanggung-tanggung yang memanggil adalah Cassandra, novelis terkenal itu. Tadinya, Anna sempat ragu-ragu, tapi, ketika Seb, pacarnya mencampakkannya, tanpa pikir panjang, Anna langsung menerima tawaran bekerja di rumah Cassandra.

Ketika berada di rumah Cassandra, tidak ada tanda-tanda sedikit pun, Anna akan diajari tehnik-tehnik menulis. Malahan, Cassandra memberinya pe
Margaret
This book had a lot of potential, but I felt like it wasn't going anywhere. I liked Anna at first but it felt like she never stood up for herself. Other characters felt very dull and one-dimensional. And I absolutely hated Cassandra and her whole family. The book could have been so much better without her. I didn't get caught up or confused with the British slang (thank you Mother for making me watch Masterpiece). Honestly I did not finish this book, I got frustrated and bored with everyone in i ...more
Kristin Dow
A fluff read which is sometimes what the doctor orders, but there are better books that fit that bill better than this one. I was not a fan of the rich boy sweeping in to fix things; prefer heroines to be the pilot of their own problems and solutions.
sublimosa
Jun 29, 2014 sublimosa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Atrocious. I didn't finish and while I am getting better at my ability to stop reading a lousy book, it has never been so easy as with this one. If I could, I'd give it a negative rating. I usually feel goodreads users underrate books, but at 2.94, this one is outrageously overrated. Save yourself; do not read!
Jen3n
Apr 09, 2009 Jen3n rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awful, other
Poorly written, predictable, wish-fulfillment trash romance novel trying to pass itself off as "chick lit."

The distinction is sometimes narrow, but the differences ARE there between romance novels and chick-lit. Or, they should be. Not that I'm particularly a fan of either genre, I just think books shouldn't be marketed under false pretenses, so to speak. And, if those books marketed under false pretenses manage to be green lighted as such, I think they ought to be written with a minimum amount
Megan Doreen
As far as the satire itself went, this was amusing for the first 100 pages or so. But then it wore very very thin. Apart from the satire, the plot and characterizations were very superficial and slightly annoying.
Penelope
This book has been sitting on my bookshelf for quite some time and I finally got around to reading it. I found it rather enjoyable but like a lot of books in this genre I found it quite predictable.
Kelly Loncloff
Jul 30, 2014 Kelly Loncloff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had no great expectations for this book, but when I started reading I found it funny and easy to read. just what I was looking for.

For me who is learning English was good and I recommend it.
Debbie
Feb 20, 2014 Debbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A chick lit wannabe book with characters who were more stereotypical caricatures. There were some funny lines, but all in all not a book that I would recommend. Filled with a lot of profanity and sexual content.
Angie
3 stars is probably being generous....

I have to agree with others when I say I was disappointed in this book... I had high hopes, but i shouldn't do that to myself. This was my first WH book, and it looked and sounded like it could be quite funny. I adore Sarah Mason, but have read all her stuff and was hoping this might be something similar. Similar, yes. Guess you could say, but lacking.
Her characters in this book definitely leave something to be desired. They are all mostly unlikeable. It wa
Barb
Apr 28, 2012 Barb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction
Some of the situations were interesting, but the characters were universally unlikeable. Anna, the main character, was bland and passive; life happened TO her. And how did this girl have NO friends? How did she wind up with Seb in the first place? How did she transition from not particularly upper class primary schools to apparently posh secondary? Holden laid no background for her characters across the board.

The action was predictable and jumped past moments that should've been actually illustr
  • Country Loving (Talyton St George, #7)
  • Not That Kind Of Girl
  • Help Wanted, Desperately
  • Sanibel Scribbles
  • Forget Me Knot
  • The Boy Next Door
  • Hollywood Hunk (A True Hollywood Lies Novel)
  • Making Mischief
  • Emily's Reasons Why Not
  • Marrying for Money
Wendy Holden grew up in Yorkshire, and studied English at Girton College, Cambridge. She worked in magazines for many years before joining Tatler's in 1997 as deputy editor, and later moved to the Mail on Sunday’s You magazine, which she left in 2000 to concentrate on writing. She regularly writes features for newspapers and magazines on a range of social, topical and lifestyle subjects and is als ...more
More about Wendy Holden...