Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 4 - A Sting in the Tale

Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 4 - A Sting in the Tale (Fourth Doctor-Talking Books)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The Doctor arrives in a bleak English midwinter of long ago. Plunging into the snowy landscape of the Dark Ages, he learns that wild dogs besiege the local Tilling Abbey every night. When he is given shelter by the sisters of the abbey, the Doctor begs an audience with the Mother Superior they fiercely protect. Something unearthly has already happened here - and if the Doc...more
Audio CD
Published (first published December 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Leila Anani
We're back on track with this story after the disappointing Circus of Doom. The Doctor (Tom Baker) time travels back to a Medieval nunnery where the sisters worship a pig infested with alien hornets, thinking it is divine! The story is deeply creepy and Tom Baker is just perfect to narrate it. I particularly adore this instalment because of the inevitability of fate theme.

Each story travels further back in time, in the last story we got an inkling that the Doctor might be responsible for the ho...more
Wendy
My major complaint about the previous installment applies equally well to this one: because we are merely seeing the fulfillment of events that from our point of view have already happened, there's not a whole lot of tension. Despite that, I enjoyed this installment more than the previous one, probably because Paul Magrs has really gone all-out with the weirdness. Any story that features a semi-delirious Doctor chasing a wolfhound that has been possessed by malignant space hornets through the in...more
Terri
The Doctor continues telling his story to Mike Yates. As he goes further back in time to the Middle Ages and a nunnery and finds the hornets tormenting the nuns there. Then it gets more personal and he brings us back to the present in Nest Cottage. This explained a lot of things and pulled things to together for the Final book finale. But it was more predictable than the others so far so it was not my favorite.
Nicholas Whyte
"A Sting In The Tale sees Tom Baker's Fourth Doctor investigating funny goings-on in a medieval convent. The plot was OK (no more than that) but I found some of the descriptions rather disgusting, and not in a fun way. My lapsed medievalist hackles did not particularly rise, but perhaps I wasn't listening hard enough."
Amanda
Amanda added it
May 09, 2014
Shelby Smith
Shelby Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Doctor Who: Sick Building Never the Bride (Brenda and Effie Mystery #1) Something Borrowed (Brenda & Effie Mystery #2) Exchange Conjugal Rites (Brenda & Effie Mystery #3)