Start by marking “Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 4 - A Sting in the Tale” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 4 - A Sting in the Tale

Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 4 - A Sting in the Tale (Fourth Doctor-Talking Books)

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The Doctor arrives in a bleak English midwinter of long ago. Plunging into the snowy landscape of the Dark Ages, he learns that wild dogs besiege the local Tilling Abbey every night. When he is given shelter by the sisters of the abbey, the Doctor begs an audience with the Mother Superior they fiercely protect. Something unearthly has already happened here - and if the Doc ...more
Audio CD
Published (first published December 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Leila Anani
We're back on track with this story after the disappointing Circus of Doom. The Doctor (Tom Baker) time travels back to a Medieval nunnery where the sisters worship a pig infested with alien hornets, thinking it is divine! The story is deeply creepy and Tom Baker is just perfect to narrate it. I particularly adore this instalment because of the inevitability of fate theme.

Each story travels further back in time, in the last story we got an inkling that the Doctor might be responsible for the ho
Amy "the book-bat"
Another interesting "episode". I will have to look out for the other 3 segments to get the entire story, but these seem to hold up ok when you don't have all of the parts.
Wendy
Nov 02, 2010 Wendy rated it liked it
My major complaint about the previous installment applies equally well to this one: because we are merely seeing the fulfillment of events that from our point of view have already happened, there's not a whole lot of tension. Despite that, I enjoyed this installment more than the previous one, probably because Paul Magrs has really gone all-out with the weirdness. Any story that features a semi-delirious Doctor chasing a wolfhound that has been possessed by malignant space hornets through the in ...more
RC
Jan 22, 2015 RC rated it it was ok
A ridiculous story but Tom Baker pulls it off.
Terri
The Doctor continues telling his story to Mike Yates. As he goes further back in time to the Middle Ages and a nunnery and finds the hornets tormenting the nuns there. Then it gets more personal and he brings us back to the present in Nest Cottage. This explained a lot of things and pulled things to together for the Final book finale. But it was more predictable than the others so far so it was not my favorite.
Nicholas Whyte
"A Sting In The Tale sees Tom Baker's Fourth Doctor investigating funny goings-on in a medieval convent. The plot was OK (no more than that) but I found some of the descriptions rather disgusting, and not in a fun way. My lapsed medievalist hackles did not particularly rise, but perhaps I wasn't listening hard enough."
Keith
Keith added it
Jul 24, 2016
Catherine Johnson
Catherine Johnson is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Stardreamer
Stardreamer rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Frazer Lee
Frazer Lee rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Mark
Mark added it
May 17, 2016
Anthony Baker
Anthony Baker rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
Ryan
Ryan added it
Feb 18, 2016
Fanona
Fanona rated it did not like it
Jan 11, 2016
Sarah Hepburn
Sarah Hepburn rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Mikael Kuoppala
Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Eric Thorsen
Eric Thorsen rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Brendan Wakeman
Brendan Wakeman marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Michael Taylor
Michael Taylor rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2015
Jennifer rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Rachel Redhead
Rachel Redhead rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2015
David Melton
David Melton rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Vratislav Šlajer
Vratislav Šlajer rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Fourth Doctor-Talking Books (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 1 - The Stuff of Nightmares
  • Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 2 - The Dead Shoes
  • Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 3 - The Circus of Doom
  • Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest, Part 5 - Hive of Horror
  • Doctor Who: Demon Quest, Part 1 - The Relics of Time
  • Doctor Who: Demon Quest, Part 2 - The Demon of Paris
  • Doctor Who: Demon Quest, Part 3 - Shard of Ice
  • Doctor Who: Demon Quest: Starfall: A Multi-Voice Audio Original Starring Tom Baker #4
  • Doctor Who: Demon Quest: Sepulchre: A Multi-Voice Audio Original Starring Tom Baker #5
  • Doctor Who: Serpent Crest, Part 1-Tsar Wars (Serpent Crest #1)