Dress Your Best

Dress Your Best

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  517 ratings  ·  86 reviews
The 8 million fans of TLC's hottest show, What Not to Wear, know it as the place to go for real-life fashion advice. Now the show's hosts, Clinton Kelly and Stacy London, offer spot-on fashion wisdom-with an attitude-in this fully illustrated, authoritative, and irreverent fashion guide to dressing your best for every occasion. Clinton and Stacy's surefire method for boost...more
Published September 13th 2005 by Harmony

Holly
May 01, 2010 Holly rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone who wears clothes.. nudists need not apply.
Shut up! This book is freakin' fabulous!

Ok. I had to say that... I have a small obsession with TLC's What Not To Wear and I always wondered what "the rules" would be for dressing my body. I noticed some jeans and t-shirts made me look 30 lbs overweight. Not all their participants (nominees if you will) have the same body type I do. Not to worry, this book covers my body type, my boyfriend's body type and everything in between (and outside of them).

The book covers 18 different women's body type...more
Elisa
Not shallow trying to tell you that you have to look like a supermodel or spend a fortune to dress your best. Rather focuses upon multiple body shapes and PRINCIPLES that apply to that shape, encouraging each person to look his or her best TODAY because he or she is already valuable. I liked that. I also am generally clueless about how to shop for clothes (since I despise doing it) and was excited to get what many a gal might consider "obvious" pointers-- but which were invaluable to me. For exa...more
Brittany
Stacy & Clinton. There are way too many things I have to say about them and the way they "teach" people about what you shouldn't be wearing. I feel that they have failed to recognize something I feel strongly about- PERSONAL STYLE. They put everyone in the same pieces. In the book they repeat the importance of the illusion of long legs ("just like Barbie"), which is something I highly disagree with.

I believe in helping people look proportional. There were a lot of styled outfits that I felt...more
Megan
Cute clothes for many, many body types (divided up into petite, average, and tall!), but the fact that the "curvy" model (person on the cover actually) was 5'7 and wore a size 4 just got to me. I think they should have had someone who wears a size 8 or 10 for the sake of accuracy.
Maria K.
While this book doesn't cover nearly the range of work-related situations as "Work It!", it has two huge advantages in its favor.

One, it has a section for women and a section for men. Considering how little there is out there to help men grow up sartorially, seeing a big "duds for dudes" chapter in "Dress Your Best" almost made me weep with joy.

Two, while Stacy and Clinton also drew on their circle of friends for their models, they made damn sure they covered as many body types as possible. This...more
Abby
This is my favorite fashion/what to wear book I have read so far. I loved it! In fact, I spent 45 minutes changing outfits and trying new styles out on Sunday morning before church last week. I didn't even finish preparing a lesson for my Sunbeams, but I am sure that didn't matter because I looked great. In fact, TWO people stopped me and said, "Oh, you look so cute today. You always look so cute." Score!

As many other reviews have mentioned, this book goes through many different body types and h...more
Tamara Evans
One of my favorite shows is TLC's What Not to Wear and I was excited when I heard that a book based on the show was coming out. When I first saw the book, I thought that it would provide the type of in depth information which was done on the show.However, after reading the book, I was both wrong and right.
While the book does a great job in reflecting the different types of body types, it falls short in reference to fully describing the different types of clothes when in different situations. Al...more
Lisa
Apr 01, 2009 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone wishing to update their look
I caught an episode or two while on vacation and realized that beyond the smart quips there really was some value in identifying what styles accentuate your body and which ones are completely unflattering. I personally have no natural ability to dress myself, and often joke that I would benefit from Garanimals for adults. Lacking the budget to pay a personal shopper, I went looking for some self-help in the form of books. This one was greatly valuable. While some reviewers state that you only ge...more
Terri
This has been the best book on clothing I've seen. They are NOT here to tell you your style like "classic," "bohemian," "Victorian"... What they do is tell you how to deal with your body shape. They steer you toward the best style clothing for your body shape.

There are women and men of every shape in three heights: petite, average and tall and everyone is dressed in a black swimsuit (for women) and boxers (for men).
You determine where you fit in the shape category and height and then read the ad...more
Hannah
I really enjoyed this book. It's very well laid out and super helpful for all body types. I liked that they also included men in the book and that they (Stacy & Clinton) used their own body types for the book. It seemed fair for the other brave people having to be photographed in their bathing suits! ;) If you watch the show you can see their sense of humor in this book, which I find hilarious and made the book more interesting to me. I read every word in this book (even the "thank yous")

Wo...more
Annie
Feb 18, 2009 Annie added it
gotta love what not to wear! but really, the book wasn't that good. but it does have a picture of clinton in his boxers!!
Adrienne
The co-hosts of TLC's What Not to Wear offer up advice on how to find clothes that will look best with your body type. With eighteen different body types for women and eight for men, there's a lot of advice dispensed. Each body type is shown three different looks: work, weekend, and evening. They focus on general principles, rather than things that would date the book quickly, such as what colors are in for a particular season. Readers will find a lot of information by turning to their body shap...more
Amanda
I'm a big fan of the show and was happy to get my hands on a copy of this book. To those of you trying to figure out if you should buy this book or not, don't buy it. Go to the library and check it out.

The book does a good job of highlighting different body types, and each body type is broken down into 3 categories of petite, average and tall, but you only get three "looks" for each body type. I would have preferred to see a little bit more variety.

With that said, I still learned what will look...more
Meghan
While this book was informative, fun, interesting and I loved the cheeky tone they used (similar to their show), I can't give the book 5 stars. I mean, how can I give it the best rating available when only a few pages of the book were relevant to me?

The guide is broken down into two main sections - male and female - then by body types and then once more by height and finally by "style" (i.e. day look, work and evening). So even though the book had quite a few pages, only a few fit my body's desc...more
Christina
Dress Your Best by Clinton Kelly and Stacy London is a good book to check out of the library or buy used on Amazon.com in good condition.

I related to Not Curvy - Petite and Bigger on Bottom - Petite.

Unlike the Amazon.com reviewers:

I will use the photos in the two sections for Casual outfits to create new outfits in the spring.

Dress Your Best for less by checking this book out of the library.

A good book also is Trinny and Susannah's What Not to Wear> which goes into greater detail about coveri...more
Megan
A fun read! They break down recommended looks by work/weekend/evening for petite/average/tall of all different body types. They've even done men too (short, average, tall, athletic, barrel chested, etc). Of course you'll flip right to your body type, but you may find yourself in more than one category, and it's worth skimming all of them. They put "universal tips" clearly marked throughout, and they also put notes about playing up one body part (so if you want to play down that body part, you mi...more
Marcia
I enjoyed a What Not to Wear marathon over vacation, and had to follow up with the book. Clinton and Stacy really know how to dress people for their body type and make them look their best. In this book they break down body types (big on top, big in the middle, not curvy etc.) and height. Lots of tips on putting together great outfits. Hopefully some of their tips will wear off on me, because I'm feeling like I need a bit of a makeover. I just don't know about those pointy toed shoes they convin...more
Sara ♥
This book was good, but it's just not the same as the TV show. I love seeing people trying to pick out their own clothes and apply Stacy and Clinton's "rules," then seeing where they go wrong, you know? PLUS, I feel a little bit gypped, because my body type (curvy all over, medium height) was represented by Stacy herself, who is 2 inches taller and WAAY skinnier than me... so I'm like, "Do those same rules apply?" Probably not.

But there were some great tips anyway, and the book was beautiful! :)
Andrea
I picked this up because it was targeted toward both women and men, which is rare for a style book. Some overly general / generic tips for dressing to fit your body type -- make sure your clothes aren't too baggy OR too tight; double-check sleeve length and shoulder fit; and the perennial favorite, "invest in a good tailor." Which is sound advice if you live in suits. No real advice if you don't! Too bad for you, Average Size Man! You must live in suits and sportcoats-with-slacks only!
Lorie
Read through this one on my lunch hour. I've seen the show, and I know the advice Clinton and Stacy tend to give. So while there were no surprises here, there were also no revelations. I don't always agree with the clothes they select, but their advice on body shape and fit is nearly always right on. A good one for people new to dressing like a grown-up and who have never seen the show. They tend to repeat the same basic mantra, though. "If you're not built like Barbie, we can fix that."
Camryn
This was originally one of my mom's books. The authors, who also are on a style tv show, pretty much just brought in a bunch of people (more women than men) categorized them; tall, petite, curvy, whatever. And they, Stacy and Clinton, the stylists, then styled them, each person in three outfits. One for work, one for evening, one for weekends. It applies more to adults than to teenagers (like me) but I like to page through it, look at the pictures, read their tips.
Lisa
It had some good information but clearly reflects a certain dress style. Very east coast. I am the average height, bigger on the bottom person. Their idea of weekend wear for me included nylons, high heals, dress pants, a button down shirt with collar, etc. I don't know anyone who would want to dress like that on their days off. So not completely helpful. I'll take away a few good ideas and chalk up the rest to a society that I am not a part of.
Deb
Love the show so I thought I would check out the book! I really like the way the book was set up. It was easy to read and understand. Although it didn't hit on every body type out there, I felt it gave you the basics to understand the "rules" and follow them. It was helpful to read the whole book (all body types) so you can determine for yourself what shapes and clothes will work best for you. It was filled with a lot of humor as well!
Kristen
I adore Stacy & Clinton, thus was super excited to read this book. However, I was a little disappointed. The tips were more for breadth of all shapes & sizes, not depth. So if you're at all into their show or fashion, you will probably leave wanting more. Not that what is there is bad--definitely fabulous tips & reminders--just not enough for me. But still a quick, necessary read for all humans (who wear clothes).
This book proved to be very useful. Pictures of everyday people with different body types and how they should dress for work, weekend, and a big event. It's nice they included men in the group...how to dress if you're a man who's short, athletic, extra-tall, barrel-chested, have a tummy, or petite. And who knew Stacy London graduated Phi Beta Kappa with a double major in German lit and 20th century philosophy?
Larisha
I'm a fan of Clinton and Stacy's show on TLC, What Not to Wear, so when I saw this book, I was excited to be schooled yet again.

Clinton and Stacy organize the book by identifying certain body shapes (or, in What Not to Wear, certain "flaws") and show what works for that type. I appreciated how they chose real-life women and put them in outfits that REALLY made the most of their body types.
Claire
If you like the show, you will enjoy the book. However, once you figure out your body type (which most of us already know) there are only about 3 or 4 pages devoted to your body type. So, don't go buy this book! Just check it out of the library for some light reading if you are in the mood to do some clothes shopping. I'd much rather watch the show than read this book.
Anna Francesca
This was a good reference book but not a cover-to-cover read for me. I love what they say, but the idea of buying all the items on the "essentials" list is still daunting to my budget. I would love to have the show throw $5000 and a personal makeover my way. In the meantime, this book did contain some helpful hints.
LM Yellow
This was cute I guess. It is set up just like their show. They show men and women with different body types
in bathing suits and then in a couple of different outfits while describing which shapes work best and why. I
tried to get my husband to read the guy sections, but he was too put off by the clothes.
Cate
Mar 18, 2009 Cate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fun
Will change how you shop for good.

If you want a fashion makeover, this book will definitely help. Lots of great pictures.

My only complaint is that there isn't a whole lot for moms. You have casual, workplace and evening--but what about that in-between for dance class, coffee shops and Target?
  • What You Wear Can Change Your Life
  • The Lucky Shopping Manual
  • The Truth About Style
  • InStyle: Secrets of Style: The Complete Guide to Dressing Your Best Every Day
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • Better than Beauty: A Guide to Charm
  • Style A to Zoe: The Art of Fashion, Beauty, & Everything Glamour
  • City Chic: An Urban Girl's Guide to Livin' Large on Less
  • The Bombshell Manual of Style
  • How Not to Look Old: Fast and Effortless Ways to Look 10 Years Younger, 10 Pounds Lighter, 10 Times Better
  • Eccentric Glamour: Creating an Insanely More Fabulous You
  • The 5-Minute Face: The Quick & Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman
  • The Little Black Book of Style
  • Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste & Style
  • The Fashion File: Advice, Tips, and Inspiration from the Costume Designer of Mad Men
  • 100 Unforgettable Dresses
  • Bobbi Brown Beauty Rules: Fabulous Looks, Beauty Essentials, and Life Lessons
  • When You Lie About Your Age, the Terrorists Win: Reflections on Looking in the Mirror
Clinton Kelly is an American fashion consultant and media personality known for his role as co-host on What Not to Wear, a reality program that features fashion makeovers. He shares on-air duties with Stacy London. Kelly started his career as a freelance writer for several fashion magazines. Although he still continues to write he has since expanded into fashion consulting and designing.
More about Clinton Kelly...
Freakin' Fabulous: How to Dress, Speak, Act, Eat, Sleep, Entertain, Decorate, and Generally Be Better Than Everyone Else Oh No She Didn't: The Top 100 Style Mistakes Women Make and How to Avoid Them Freakin' Fabulous on a Budget Oh No She Didn't Freakin' Fabulous Holidays