Start by marking “Tell Me a Scary Story...But Not Too Scary!” as Want to Read:
Tell Me a Scary Story...But Not Too Scary!

Tell Me a Scary Story...But Not Too Scary!

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Everyone loves scary stories and award-winning comedy writer/director Carl Reiner invites readers to huddle close as he tells a young boy's tale of the mysterious house next door.
Something with red beams of light shooting from its eyes was coming down the basement stairs. It came closer and closer... the hair on the back of my neck was sticking straight out. I finally saw
ebook
Published November 15th 2008 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published October 2nd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Tell Me a Scary Story...But Not Too Scary!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell Me a Scary Story...But Not Too Scary!

Joolissa
A nice book and read along CD. I actually wish there was an audio version without the parts asking if it was too scary to continue and a description of the frightening masks as the narrator's performance is quite entertaining and I'd like to listen to it separately from the book. However, wishes and fishes and all that, overall it's an interesting little fright of a book that would be appropriate for budding spooky story readers. It breaks the tension quite often by asking the reader if it's too ...more
Nicolas Saldana

I thought this book was HILARIOUS!I mean when are sub read it I was about to FALL OVER.
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Interest Level: 3-5
Grade level Equivalent: 3.3
Lexile Measure: 560L
Guided Reading: O

The book starts off with a father telling his son a story about when he was younger and a scary new neighbor. The man drops a marble that looks like an eye and this makes the young boy go to the neighbors house to return it, but he falls into the basement and sees scary masks, finding out that the neighbor makes scary Hallow
Sarah Adamson
Apparently this was too scary for me. I skimmed it after my daughter chose to read it at bedtime and I couldn't face reading it! I'll try again with the cd in the daytime and see if it might work for her though as she has no fear!
Beronica
We enjoyed it! I especially liked the audio of the story because he narrated well as the grandfather/ boy and neighbor.
Michelle Tempted By Books
The pictures are oddly cute, funny, and frightening all at once.
Caroline Petty
This book is a must have for Halloween. It's fun and scary but not too scary so that children can't enjoy themselves. I loved the fact that on every few pages the author asks questions such as "Is it too scary for you" or "should i keep going"? It really gets children into the suspenseful Halloween spirit of the season. It also teaches children that good authors draw their readers in and make them not want to stop reading. It's a good lesson in the craft of writing.
Skylar Burris
We've listened to this one on CD in the car going on 47 times now. Is it strange that my three-year-old son wanders off by himself several times a day and performs dramatic readings of this story, which he has virtually memorized line by line? I'm not sure what fascinates them so much, but both of my children love this tale. It is very well read, and the illustrations are bold and interesting. It's scary...but not TOO scary.

Mrs. C
Third graders were scared (but not too scared!) by this spooky Halloween tale. Listening to the CD while looking at the pictures made it much more fun. We talked about how the background music, voices, pictures and text all combined to make the story scary. Then at the end, we felt just like the main character -- a little silly and a little relieved to find out that our imaginations got the better of us!
ZZ
Jan 27, 2008 ZZ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All boys and girls.
My mother bought me this book today - we have not read it yet, but I think I will like it. I will report back soon with my review and rating!

My friend Morrigan read this to me the other night - it was only a little scary. I did like it.
Angie
Scary, but not too scary book! Extra fun when you look at the book while the cd plays. Carl Reiner does an excellent job narrating. My boys were a little scared, but couldn't wait to turn the page!
Beth
The new neighbor, Mr. Neewallah, drops a marble that looks like an eye. The boy tries to find out what is going on. There are lots of scary costumes and he learns that his neighbor scares people for a living.
Meghan
As far as good kid books go, my kids loved this one. We got it with the audio CD and we turn off all the lights and listen to it in the dark. Very well done and like it says... not too scary!
Kari
This a fun Halloween book I read to my 3rd - 5th grade students almost every year. They enjoy it, even though most have heard it several times.
Dani
I thought it was fantasy because if you were walking and you saw a eye on the ground that would be fantasy it should have blood
Vj
Halloween read-aloud. Better yet, have the children listen to the CD with Carl Reiner reading it. It's much more effective.
Marilyn
It is a good story. I keep it in my high school classroom for the big kids to read when done with their work.
Becca
Fun to read out loud, but it just doesn't work for me. It feels too contrived, especially the last page.
Dilan
I think this book would fit in this category because the boy did,nt now what was uder the sheet
Braiden
There was this boy who was playing

Because this could happen soon
hehheheh.
Cynthia
This book is okay but we really like the Seinfeld one better. To each his own.
Jodi
The boys loved this one! My 5 year old practically memorized it!
Beth
Will wasn't a big fan, which makes me not that big of a fan, either.
Michael
I have done it snoopt in my nabers basmat 1oooooo.
Carri
My kids love this book especially every Halloween.
Chai T
Jan 31, 2008 Chai T rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2 my friends
Shelves: great-books
this is a great book!
a little scary but not 2 scary!
Lisa
My kids especially liked following along with theCD
Stephanie
Love this book & CD! Carl Reiner is awesome.
Tweller83
Fun one I read for Adol. Lit.
Libraryworker14gmail.com
Libraryworker14gmail.com marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Carl Reiner is an American actor, film director, producer, writer and comedian. He has won nine Emmy Awards and one Grammy Award during this career. He has the distinction of being the only person to appear on all five incarnations of The Tonight Show. He is best known for his work in Ocean's Eleven, Ocean's Twelve, and Ocean's Thirteen.
More about Carl Reiner...
My Anecdotal Life: A Memoir I Remember Me NNNNN: A Novel How Paul Robeson Saved My Life and Other Stories Enter Laughing