Start by marking “The Story of the Greeks (Yesterday's Classics)” as Want to Read:
The Story of the Greeks (Yesterday's Classics)

The Story of the Greeks (Yesterday's Classics)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  9 reviews
H. A. Guerber, more commonly known as Helene A. Guerber (Hélène Adeline Guerber) (1859-1929) was an American historian most well known for her written histories of Germanic mythology. Her most well known work is Myths of the Norsemen from the Eddas and Sagas (1909). Amongst her other works are Myths of Greece and Rome (1893), Stories of the Wagner Opera (1895), The Story o ...more
Published May 10th 2006 by Yesterday's Classics (first published 1896)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of the Greeks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of the Greeks

Daniel Harris
Eh.

First of all, I'd like to warn everybody that this book is NOT MYTHOLOGICAL!!! This book is a non fiction story of the Greeks and how they came to be. It starts with the Egyptian Prince Inachus who teaches the Greeks how to act civilized and settle down. Then, we learn the more realistic story, Greek dark ages, and the rebirth of knowledge. Lastly, the Peloponnesian wars and the occupation of Greece by the Macedonians and then the Romans. Now here's what I thought about it. It was a great boo
Harvey (Jiahuan) Wang
It's like a history textbook for the high school students. Easy to comprehend and full of interesting stories, which make it readable to all ages, even so many years have pasted. The contents are somewhat simple and good enough for the people who are interested in Greek history but not much learned before.
Chris Chester
Essentially a children's history of Ancient Greece, with some strange Christian proclivities and judgements sneaking in the last third.

It suited my purposes, at least, which were giving me a basic rundown of the big figures in Greek history during my trip the Mediterranean while also being simple enough to read after several glasses of wine.
Dean
The author makes history interesting by treating it as a story of important figures and events. The language is easy to comprehend and the pace is quick. It is written nothing like the tediously mind numbing textbooks of modern classrooms. My children (5 & 7) come to me daily asking to have this book read to them.

Philip Watson
While it is indeed written for kids, in my opinion it really is a good introduction to
Greek history and really motivated me to read more on this topic.
Victor Whitman
A good storybook intro to Ancient Greek history. It has been awhile since I read this stuff, so it was fun.
Jatin
not a bad read if you want a quick overview
Sir Brobot Swagalot
I really liked it for a history book.
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Vix
Vix marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Tom White
Tom White marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
stephanie alley
stephanie alley marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Jeremy Cooper
Jeremy Cooper is currently reading it
Feb 15, 2015
Anna
Anna is currently reading it
Feb 12, 2015
Tracy Briggs
Tracy Briggs marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
chrysti patestos
chrysti patestos is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2015
  • Fifty Famous Stories Retold
  • Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare for Children
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • The Landing of the Pilgrims
  • History of Julius Caesar (With Engravings)
  • Tales of Troy and Greece
  • Beorn the Proud
  • Archimedes and the Door of Science
  • Pagoo
Hélène Adeline Guerber (1859 – 1929), better known as H.A. Guerber, was a British historian most well known for her written histories of Germanic mythology.

Her most well known work is Myths of the Norsemen: From the Eddas and Sagas - George G. Harrap and Co. Ltd., 1908 in London.

Other histories by Guerber include Legends of the Rhine (A.S. Barnes & Co., New York, 1895; new edition 1905), Stori
More about H.A. Guerber...
Myths of the Norsemen: From the Eddas and Sagas The Myths of Greece and Rome Norse Gods, Goddesses, Giants, Dwarves, Elves & More - A Complete Guide [Illustrated] The Story of the Romans Middle Ages Myths & Legends (Myths&Legends Series)