Start by marking “World War IV: The Long Struggle Against Islamofascism” as Want to Read:
World War IV: The Long Struggle Against Islamofascism

World War IV: The Long Struggle Against Islamofascism

For almost half a century—as a magazine editor and as the author of numerous bestselling books and hundreds of articles—Norman Podhoretz has helped drive the central political and intellectual debates in this country. Now, in this provocative and powerfully argued book, he takes on the most controversial issue of our time—the war against the global network of terrorists th ...more
Published September 11th 2007 by Vintage (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about World War IV, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World War IV

Paul Rhodes
Jul 02, 2008 Paul Rhodes rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serial Killers
Recommended to Paul by: Two neo-con psychopaths
Should be subtitled: There is no God but The United States of America, and W. is its prophet.
Elliot Ratzman
Jul 21, 2011 Elliot Ratzman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It’s important for progressives to take conservatives seriously, to see if there are points we haven’t considered, to know and weigh the arguments. Assuming that this book, by neo-con chief Norman Podhoretz, longtime editor of Commentary, is the best that that camp can do for making the case for “the long struggle against Islamofascism” and here, The Bush Doctrine—that “Islam” is the heir to Totalitarianism and must be fought ignoring the Realist School of politics. Well, Podhoretz is a Jewish A ...more
Jeff
Dec 01, 2008 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The title to this book is deceiving. It implies that the book will discuss the ins and outs of the war against Islamofacists. The book itself, however, is more of a discussion of the Bush Doctrine and the politics involved with the current war on global terrorism.

This is not to say that the book is bad - it is actually quite good. The author solidly defends Bush and his policies and makes a good case for his legacy to be re-evaluated in a favorable manner in the future. Bush haters will not lik
Amy Robertson
Nov 16, 2007 Amy Robertson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Podhoretz thinks that anyone who disagrees with him clings to their ideas merely out of ego or to maintain "their comfortable lodgings" in their academic or journalistic establishments. No one who disagrees with "the Bush Doctrine" could possibly do so from conviction but only from expediency. And those who try to fool us with their copious footnotes (Podhoretz sources nothing) -- well, they are nothing but clever tricksters we must guard against.
He would be laughable (a larger than life caricat
April
Apr 29, 2010 April rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: government
Not his best work.
Sándor Kiss
A nice, but a bit naive ideological manifesto. Totally one-sided, but well written. Although it bugged me that most of the book is built up on fighting the shadows of good old enemies. The World War IV narrative is convincing, but the straight out lies were unnecessary (e.g.: the conditions in Guantanamo Bay, Abu Gharib, and of course there is not and were not any torture at all....) George W. may have been right about his doctrine, but planning and execution was not his strong suit.
Kristi
Mar 12, 2008 Kristi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
World War III was the Cold War. World War IV is the war against Islamofascism -- a more specific and accurate enemy than "terrorism," Podhoretz argues. Comparing our current war to the world wars shows that we must be prepared for a lengthy, expensive war and great loss of life -- and that it is worth it for world freedom.

Podhoretz reviews US foreign policy since WWII and examines Bush's speeches to argue that Bush has a coherent strategy -- the Bush Doctrine -- that is analogous to the Truman D
MG
Jun 29, 2008 MG rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in the GWOT and why we are in it
Recommended to MG by: Amazon Recommended
This a very imformative, although dry, book.

WW IV reads more like a history text book than an actual commentary on the Global War on Terror.

I'm not knocking the book, it's very, very good. It's exhaustively researched, well written, but to be honest, I was kind of happy that I got through the whole thing.

Isuppose this is one of the dangers of reading as much non-fiction as I do: sometimes, the author does TOO good a job of sticking to the facts. I would have liked some more of the authors insig
Mike Smith
Dec 17, 2015 Mike Smith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I tried to judge this book on how it was written as opposed to the opinions of the author. Podhoretz defends rather eloquently George W. Bush's handling of the War on Terror which he dubs World War IV. He compares and contrasts this with the cold war (World War III). One of the strengths of this book is Podhoretz's analysis of how US foreign policy caused and led the way for the rise of terrorism. Since this was written in 2006 the author does not the ability to see how the Bush doctrine led to ...more
Laine
Oct 11, 2008 Laine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Isolationists and pacifists are either breathtakingly uninformed or worse, choose to have no contextual understanding of history, evil men, murderous ideologies. This sobering reminder of the overriding challenge of our time is superb, sublime, sobering, supportive of the great heroes of our time ... who know freedom is everything and freedom is not ever free.
Joana Marinho
Jan 28, 2016 Joana Marinho rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 9-11
Podhoretz spends most of the time in this book criticizing those who dared to question the Bush Doctrine, even some of the neocons who worked with the Administration. I was hopefull for an insight on the main decisions but this book isn't really about that.
Nathan
Mar 21, 2009 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting perspective. Turns 9/11 into the "the shot heard round the world" at Concord. Takes the position that WWIII was the 40-50 years of Cold War, and the current "War on Terrorism" should actually be viewed as a long WWIV that is s not going to come to a tidy conclusion any time soon.
Bill
Oct 12, 2008 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Good, but dry. Instead, please read Mark Steyn's "America Alone".
Norbert
Jul 02, 2012 Norbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it. It'll wake you up.
Michael
Jan 21, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real eye opener on Global Politics, especially American foreign policy.
Brian Olson
Jun 26, 2008 Brian Olson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book about Bush foreign policy and why it will not be changed any time soon. Title refers to the Cold War as World War 3, hence the current war is World War IV.
Johns
Apr 12, 2016 Johns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A bracing read but a book all Americans should read and know.
Urey Patrick
Aug 05, 2011 Urey Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you read nothing else about the Islamic threat - read this book and The Looming Tower by Wright.
Steven
Steven rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2007
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2013
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Hannon
Hannon rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2011
Chris Serger
Chris Serger rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Jonathan Adair
Jonathan Adair rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Wil Mackey
Wil Mackey rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2011
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
May 05, 2008
Jenny-Marie
Jenny-Marie rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2009
Johnny
Johnny rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2009
Matthew Contreras
Matthew Contreras rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Endless War: Middle-Eastern Islam vs. Western Civilization
  • War and Decision: Inside the Pentagon at the Dawn of the War on Terrorism
  • Crisis and Command: A History of Executive Power from George Washington to George W. Bush
  • Liberty's Blueprint: How Madison and Hamilton Wrote the Federalist, Defined the Constitution, and Made Democracy Safe for the World
  • Black Belt Patriotism: How We Can Restore the American Dream
  • The Causes of the Civil War
  • Vindicating the Founders: Race, Sex, Class, and Justice in the Origins of America
  • Courting Disaster: How the CIA Kept America Safe and How Barack Obama Is Inviting the Next Attack
  • The Al Qaeda Reader: The Essential Texts of Osama Bin Laden's Terrorist Organization
  • We Still Hold These Truths: Rediscovering Our Principles, Reclaiming Our Future
  • The Founding Fathers Guide to the Constitution
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Presidents: From Wilson to Obama (Politically Incorrect Guides (Paperback))
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Vietnam War
  • The Second Civil War: How Extreme Partisanship Has Paralyzed Washington and Polarized America
  • LeMay: The Life and Wars of General Curtis LeMay
  • "What the Heck Are You Up To, Mr. President?": Jimmy Carter, America's "Malaise," and the Speech that Should Have Changed the Country
  • Samuel Adams: Father of the American Revolution
  • Comeback America: Turning the Country Around and Restoring Fiscal Responsibility