Start by marking “The Unexepected Bride” as Want to Read:
The Unexepected Bride

The Unexepected Bride

Did family honor really dictate that he marry the first eligible girl who could make intelligent conversation? The Earl of Darleston certainly hoped not, but there was no denying that he needed a bride. And Miss Phoebe Ffollit seemed the ideal candidate for a marriage in name only.Or so he thought. Until his bride brought a wolfhound to their wedding and he learned that he ...more
Published November 1st 2004 by Harlequin Special Releases

To ask other readers questions about The Unexepected Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unexepected Bride

Cherie
Jul 31, 2013 Cherie rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
I like this better than some people. I agree with those who found it disconcerting that Peter kept calling Penelope "little one". He spoke affectionately but like she was a child not an adult. It was weird having him refer to her that way and then make love to her. Darling or sweetums would have been more appropriate.

What I really liked about this book was that even though there was a good deal of misunderstandings, Peter was honest with himself about his feelings and about his behavior. He apol
Fedora
Jul 02, 2012 Fedora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Unexpected Bride is the first book I've read by Ms. Elizabeth Rolls. Overall, it was enjoyable. There was a bit of a which-sister to the plot (the heroine Penelope has a twin sister, Phoebe), with a bit of arranged marriage (the Earl of Darleston, Peter, offers marriage in exchange for forgiving their brother's gambling debts), a few secrets which thankfully don't take over the plot, and a little bit of making an arranged marriage into a real one.

There was a good deal of back-and-forth as Pe
Caro
Jul 10, 2012 Caro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: h-mnb-s
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the character, especially the sisters, the emotions, the situations and closeness of the friendships. There were parts that made me lol and smile to myself for the mischief caused and mayhem. I liked the characteristics of the female lead and the innate goodness and confusion of the male lead. I would enjoy reading this book again, and if I owned it, it would stay on the shelf. This would be good for a cuddle-up relaxing read. The last chapters were page-turni ...more
Cheesecake
Peter and Penelope. Hmmmm.... This is a tough one to decide on. The story seems to jump hurdles as it goes. The first two chapters I hated it. Peter and his mistress seemed to take over and I always hate having authors force me to see the H enjoying other women. just ICK!!!!
Really the first 25% sucked for the most part. It's set up on a rather convoluted plot for what should be a simple story frame work. Then the story is on more of a roll, but still it was a back and forth for the H; I'm so hot
Feb 24, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the whole book, the plot and it's overall story, but I hated the ending. Because the rest of the book was so good, I can't in my right mind give it a bad rating, but I hate how it "fixed" her blindness rather than just allowing her to conquer it. Normal people, like me, don't just get hit on the side of the head, and 'Presto' their fine. Being disabled is about learning to deal with the problems caused by the disability, which she did, and overcoming it. So, I think that the ending wasn' ...more
Brittany
Jul 28, 2013 Brittany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historicals
Just did not like this book. The story was pretty good but other than that nothing really stood out. I did not like the author's style writing. It seemed like she would write out every little detail like she was happy then she smiled. Really? Usually, you know she is happy from a smile. Maybe it was because it was written in third person I don't know just wont be reading more by this author. Which is a bummer because I did like the story.
Tishke
I didn't care for the writing style; I found this book to be frustrating and almost gave up a couple of times. While the plot for the book was interesting, it quickly turned predictable and therefore a possibly entertaining story idea became lost.
Melania Ramona
Jess the Romanceaholic
Amanda
Sep 08, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

An enjoyable read once you get to the actual wedding. Unfortunately for the first while it's rather boring as everything is set up. I think everything could've been accomplished in less words, as it was heavy on description. But, like I said it's enjoyable after the actual wedding. Darlestion is a bit of jerk at first, but it's explainable and he does own up to it.

My biggest complaint (view spoiler)

Maggie Hesseling
Jul 25, 2016 Maggie Hesseling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Elizabeth Rolls always puts down exactly what I want to read. Penelope may be one of my favorite characters. Slowed down by her loss of sight, she's as sharp as ever, facing all her issues head on. So when her brother loses an enormous amount to the Earl of Darleson, she helps the family by marrying him. She liked him enormously when she met him, but he isn't aware of her vision.

But when her heart opens to him and she shows him her strength, it wont be long before he's under her spell and so in
Gemma
Sep 01, 2011 Gemma marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
I liked the heroine. The hero acted like such an idiot that I wanted to thump him over the head. He was such a "dog in the manger". He didn't want the heroine to get close to him, but he didn't want her to be friendly to anyone else, either. And then he blames her for his frustration! It got so irritating that I finally quit reading.

Also, he kept calling her a "silly child" as a term of endearment. I found that a little creepy.
Jun 17, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i am a devote fan of elizabeth rolls and this book didn't disappoint in fact i liked it a lot pheobe and penelope are twins and when the earl falls for one without knowing which one... this is really confusing to explain but anyway the earl marries the the wrong twin who is really the right twin and... the book is really good
Dawnie
Apr 07, 2011 Dawnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Elizabeth Rolls' books. She always manages to write an entertaining Regency Romance that has a little angst, a little humor and a good story. This one wasn't as strong as the last two I've read by her, but I enjoyed it nonetheless!
Monica
Nov 04, 2013 Monica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I would have liked this book way more if she hadn't used so many exclamation points. I felt like they were all excited about every single thing they had to say, which made the book less exciting for me to read.
Halah
Mar 10, 2015 Halah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
seriously ? SERIOUSLY? this is the worst book I ever read .. and i read a lot of bad books , believe me

This could be bad mixture of Arabian Mexican Indian Soap opera ...
Ana
Oct 06, 2013 Ana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing was a bit clunky and awkward but the premise of the story was nice and I found the romance between the two leads to be sweet and charming.
Nikki
The twin section of this wasn't necessary to the story. The ending was a little bit wishful fullfillment and would have been better had the heroine's problem not been 'fixed'.
June
June rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2012
Ovie
Ovie rated it did not like it
Nov 07, 2016
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
May 10, 2011
Shirlee A Rocha
Shirlee A Rocha rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2016
Kathleen Crowell
Kathleen Crowell rated it it was ok
May 18, 2011
Elvira Effendy
Elvira Effendy rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2016
Corinthia
Corinthia rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2014
LuzAdri
LuzAdri rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2015
Demiana
Demiana rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2010
Sue London
Sue London rated it liked it
May 12, 2012
Georgia Mourikis
Georgia Mourikis rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Wedding Gamble (Wellingfords, #1)
  • A Countess by Christmas
  • The Penniless Bride (Harlequin Historical #725)
  • How To Seduce A Sinner
  • My Lord Protector
  • The Shy Duchess
  • My Fair Mistress (Mistress Trilogy, #1)
  • A Sicilian Marriage
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • Vicar's Daughter to Viscount's Lady (Transformation of the Shelley Sisters, #2)
  • Unlacing the Innocent Miss (Regency Silk & Scandal, #6)
  • Bought for Marriage
  • To Honor (R&R, #1)
  • The Christmas Love-Child (Snow, Satin and Seduction)
  • The Bargain Bride
  • The Greek Billionaire's Love Child
  • Almost A Spinster
  • One Unashamed Night (Wellinghams, #2)
We live in the Adelaide Hills of South Australia, in a beautiful lush valley full of apple, pear and cherry orchards. We moved here a couple of years back, escaping from the city and it’s just gorgeous. The property is small, only five acres, but we have room for two small noisy boys, three dogs, two cats and several woolly things masquerading a environmentally friendly lawnmowers. Before that we ...more
More about Elizabeth Rolls...