Start by marking “The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1)

The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  34,486 ratings  ·  2,386 reviews
One March day, Jack Swift, a high school student in a small college town, forgets to take the medicine he’s taken daily since he was an infant. There ensues a cascade of events that puts him in mortal danger.

Jack discovers he carries a secret within him that has made him a target of the ruthless wizards of the Red and White Rose. Jack is a Warrior Heir, the last of a dying
Published April 1st 2006 by Hyperion Books for Children (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Warrior Heir, please sign up.

Cheyanne Veblen This is the first book in the series. It is a pretty clean read, especially with sexual content. It has some violence, but is not graphic. This is…moreThis is the first book in the series. It is a pretty clean read, especially with sexual content. It has some violence, but is not graphic. This is coming from someone who only reads books that are clean.:) As you get into the third and fourth book, the sexual content does increase. Overall, these books are very well done and I have read them twice now.(less)

Meredith
LastMonk
Jan 11, 2009 LastMonk rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy junkies, teens looking for an enjoyable book NOT loaded with sex and gore.
Recommended to LastMonk by: Actually, I think my mom just picked it up for me because it had
Shelves: new-favorites
The Heir Trilogy, which received great reviews, but somehow never entered the national consciousness, is Chima's first published work. Another story that really gets me excited with inventive concepts and clear imagery, these are really a great read.

The Warrior Heir is the first novel of the trio. We open on a very dramatic prologue, but let's skip that. Now, we meet Jack. (Hi, Jack!)Jack is a pretty nice guy. Good for Jack. But you know there's more than that. Turns out, our hero has some speci
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
(3.5 bumped up to a 4, because goodreads is lame and won't give us half stars.)
Flannery
3.5 stars.

I liked this book despite reading lots of books that have the same basic plotline:

Hey! I'm a teenager. I've just found out that I'm a __________. People are after me! I better figure out to use my (insert cool weapon and/or power) so I can take down the (insert bad guys)!

So, really, the author must've done a pretty good job of writing a good story and a fast read or I would not like it as much as I did/do! I will read the next two in the trilogy.
Christine Riccio
My review is more like 3.67 but I've rounded up because with perspective I have a lot of faith in where this series can go and I'm excited to pick up the second book - here's my full booktalk/ discussion : http://youtu.be/MOM6KgtUFbs?list=UUOk...
Kat O'Keeffe
WOO WHAT A THRILLING ENDING! Can't wait to discuss ALL THE THINGS with the Booksplosion peeps at the liveshow tomorrow! It's Aug 2 at 7:00 PM EST on Christine's channel (http://www.youtube.com/polandbananasB...) WHO WILL BE THERE?!
Becky
The Warrior Heir is a fantasy story which is set in the contemporary world. It is a hero’s journey tale full of adventure and mystery.

Jack is sixteen and since he had heart surgery as a child, he has been dependent on medicine to keep him alive. Jack has never forgotten to take his medicine but on the day of the soccer team tryouts, he does just that and his ordinary small town life suddenly begins to change. Jack is one of the Weirlind. He was born a wizard but his wizard’s stone was missing –
Rose
Initial reaction: "The Warrior Heir" was a solid YA fantasy read for me. I was engaged in the story from beginning to end, though I'll admit there were a few rough spots and transitions to it. It didn't slow my momentum through this book, though - I couldn't put it down because much of the rolling action and dynamic had me hooked.

Full review:

"The Warrior Heir" has the honor of being one of the first galleys I was approved for on NetGalley (It was back in 2011, around the time I joined), so it fe
Luann
This is Highlander meets Buffy, and a lot of fun! A centuries old Game is played out involving warriors, wizards, sorcerers, enchanters and soothsayers. I enjoyed this very much and look forward to reading the next two: The Wizard Heir and The Dragon Heir. I guessed several of the surprise twists long before they happened, but that didn't diminish my enjoyment of the story.
Meika
The story itself is riveting. The pace is brisk. I read most of it in one night...and finished the rest of it in the wee hours of the morning. The characters are well developed, human complete with motivations and failings and reserves of personal strength. The world in which the story was set has a pretty sound set of rules, and the magic is very exciting.
That said, I felt like I was reading a draft version at times. The writing itself was opaque. Meaning, author-style-signature aside, the pres
Ariel
A fun ride! It was an interesting world and there's nothing like a "normal boy isn't normal he's actually an important player in a battle that he must now face in a different world full of magic and warriors!" story line.

My biggest problem with the story was the writing: it felt very flat and one dimensional. At points it almost felt like I was reading middle grade - which is absolutely fine - but I would have liked something a bit more sophisticated and complex. I'm also not huge into urban fan
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
Okay, this book is officially the last thing by Cinda Williams Chima that I will read.
The funny thing is, I'm not trying to sound mean or whatever (haha, like in the old days!). I just do not like her style, I guess. I really didn't like the Seven Realms books, but that was mostly because I hated the characters. Yes, "hated."

Here...there were just too many issues. Her writing style, to me, seemed very clunky and juvenile. I'm not trying to be mean - this just did not read like the work of a pro
Chelsea
Nov 26, 2008 Chelsea rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens, someone not looking for a masterpiece
Shelves: dropped
I just could NOT get into it. I ended up dropping it after only a few chapters because it seemed like your usual run-of-the-mill, fantasy-for-the-sake-of-it, cliche riddled, ultimately just bad novel. I wasn't intrigued by any of the characters, and even the events of the first few CHAPTERS were predictable. And worst of all, there was nothing to keep me hooked, nothing to hint that it might get better.

Of course, it's possible that I was just too judgmental, seeing as I was ill at the time and w
Joey
Jack is a normal kid, in a normal neighborhood, with normal friends. Nobody knows he's different from the others... until one day at soccer tryouts, he nearly kills another kid. Jack has an uncommon illness that only warriors of the weir have. He was implanted a warrior stone purposely. He takes his medications every morning to prevent any release of power or magic. One morning, he forgets to take it because he is in a rush to get to school. After school at soccer tryouts, he almost killed a ki ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Karin Librarian for TeensReadToo.com

Jack enjoys his normal life in Trinity, Ohio. He spends time with his best friends, goes to school, and is extremely excited about soccer tryouts. Jack is very healthy, despite the thick scar that resides above his heart and the medicine he has to take every day. Life is ordinary - until he forgets to take his medicine.

Soccer tryouts are a breeze. Jack has never felt so alive, and when his nemesis, Lobeck, gets in his way, Jack slams him into the g
Josh
This wasn't the best book I've read in awhile - I didn't find myself trying to make time to finish it. However it had a good, fast paced story with enough intrigue and action to keep it interesting.

The only part that really disappointed me was the ending. You spend 400 pages slowing bringing the book to a climax, then in only a few pages you get this overly dramatic, almost unbelievable, way too happy ending. Sort of felt like a bad Disney movie at the end...

But aside from that, it was worth th
puppitypup
YA Fantasy No teen angst!

This one has a lot going for it. It's written from a boy's perspective, so it will appeal to teen boys as well as girls.

I always like stories where the main character has a best friend or two. Jack and his two best friends are likeable characters with a good sense of humor. They always have each other's back, showing a great deal of honor and courage.

Even better, although there is a romance aspect to the novel, it doesn't hijack the story, and the best friends don't get
Fenia
WOW. EPIC. It took me awhile to get into it. And even when i thought i knew stuff,we got more information and boom! "you know nothing John Snow." but by the ending you know most of this world and you're already in love with it. At least i was. am.

Jack is a great character,he's brave,smart,he's handsome.. obviously(!)and he reads books. HE READS. GIVE HIM TO ME. I loved Hastings,Linda,Jack's mom and friends..i just want to hug them all. I want a happy ending for all of them!!!! I think his frien
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Not bad … but a little weird. The premise was cool, but as it went along it started to get a little random in parts and then really predictable in other parts. It had a lot of plot twists that were verging on dumb, like "Oh guess what?! I'M A WIZARD!" and then somebody else turns around and says "HEY GUESS WHAT!! I'M A WIZARD TOO!!" I'm like, "Okay ... so who ISN'T a wizard?" O.o By the end – which was sorta Hunger Games-esque – I was getting a little bored. Parts were exciting, and the plot was ...more
Christine Andersen
4.5* Really really enjoyed this! I loved the characters and the plot was very fast moving. The only reason I docked half a star is because the characters and plot weren't really anything new in YA, and this isn't too different from a lot of other YA i've read. I loved it a lot though. I was excited because this is the first book in a 5 book series, but then I was sad to find out that each book in the series follows a different character, so I probably won't see these characters again :[
Kaitlin
This book I read mostly throughout the Booktubeathon and I was hoping to really enjoy it as it was the Booksplosian book of the month, however, unfortunately this book really just didn't live up to so many of the other fantasy books I have read. I know that this is a YA fantasy instead of an adult fantasy and therefore it was never going to be as developed in world-building as many adult fantasies are, however it just wasn't as interesting or exciting as I hoped that it would be considering that ...more
Salma Agroudy
“They fought because they loved the dance, and the weight of a sword in their hands. The clash and spark of metal and hiss of flame was like music written just for them.”

This was epic. EPIC!
This book introduced me to my now favorite author. What drew me in first was the cover (you know that saying don't judge a book by it's cover? Yeah it's a lie). I like swords, okay? What I found inside though amazed me. This is Cinda Willams Chima's debut novel, and she rocked it. She presents characters you cheer for, situations that eat your heart out and make you keep turning the pages. My first time reading this I was in freaking Germany on tour. But I couldn't stop reading this book (don't ...more
Lina
First of all, I can not believe that the same author who wrote the Seven Realms series wrote this. I love the Seven Realms series, I read it after I read the Warrior Heir, and the style is so different. I would never guess that they are written by the same person, the only reason I made the connection was because of the similar covers.

I did not like this book. The main character to me felt dull and boring. I found him very cookie cutter, he didn't feel like a real person. There was nothing in hi
Wealhtheow
Teenage Jack is thrust into an ancient grudge match between two sorcerous clans. He was born into the Warrior guild, which means that as soon as the Wizard guild finds him, they will force him to fight to the death in their magical arena. The world building, sadly, just does not make sense. I just didn't believe any of it. Additionally, Jack is frustratingly boring. Luckily his friends are great: strong, stout-hearted Will, clever and loyal Fitch, and athletic and self-controlled Ellen. The well ...more
Vicky N.

Having read and enjoyed Cinda Williams Chima's other series, Seven realms, I was excited to read this one too.

I did not think this book was bad, it was just okay in my opinion, but I mostly couldn't find it in me to care about Jack, the main character, which is why I decided to stop reading it.

Maybe sometime later I decide to give it a try once again.

Update;

I finished it. And I liked it. It wasn't as great as other of Chima's books but it was still enjoyable. Hopefully the series will get bett
Paola Gabriella
Que difícil de puntuar fue este libro.
Tiene mucho potencial pero las primeras 250 páginas eran 250 páginas de nada.

Decidí leer este libro porque tenía buenas críticas y es de los libros favoritos de una de las booktubers en la que más "confío" porque tenemos gustos bastantes parecidos, pero honestamente esperaba más.
Leí la sinopsis, y era algo que prometía, sonaba bastante mágico y medieval, tema que me llama bastante la atención. Además que tiene un punto de vista masculino, y tenía ganas de l
Janette
I enjoyed this book, but I'm giving it five stars because my teenage son enjoyed it too, and he's the demographic it was written for. If it were written for moms, well then, I would request a bit more romance between Jack and Ellen in the beginning . . . but I don't think my son cared all that much about the romantic tension. He loved the fighting and the wizardry.
Liz
Bah, that was bad.
That was "certainly three buses, a long walk, eight quid and a taxi from good."

One-dimensional characters, especially a dull and boring MC.
An uncreative setting.
A predictable plot.

Not my cup of tea.

P.S. Modern US states mixed with wizards and warriors and all that jazz?? Haha...No.
Kiki Song
I guess this author is not my cup of tea...
Usually, fantasy books draw my straight in and I won't stop reading for days, but this book started out slightly confusing and went straight down from there. For one, Jack was...a confusing character. Even chapters in, I couldn't understand the motives of what he does and how he feels. The other characters such as Fitch and Will should just be called "Jack's Friends" and Linda, the aunt, should be referred to as "AILF" (aunt I'd like to..do something wi
  • Rise of a Hero (The Farsala Trilogy, #2)
  • The Naming (The Books of Pellinor, #1)
  • The Soldiers of Halla (Pendragon, #10)
  • Ruler of the Realm (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #3)
  • Eon: Dragoneye Reborn (Eon, #1)
  • The Cry of the Icemark (The Icemark Chronicles, #1)
  • The Kings of Clonmel (Ranger's Apprentice, #8)
  • The Hound of Rowan (The Tapestry, #1)
  • Liar's Moon (Thief Errant, #2)
  • Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3)
  • Daughter of the Flames (Ruan, #1)
  • Witchlanders
  • Stoneheart (Stoneheart Trilogy, #1)
  • The Fall of the Templar (Grey Griffins, #3)
  • The Will of the Empress (Circle Reforged, #1)
  • Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2)
  • The Merlin Conspiracy (Magids, #2)
New York Times bestselling author Cinda Williams Chima comes from a long line of fortune-tellers, musicians and spinners of tales. She began writing romance novels in middle school, which were often confiscated by her teachers.

The Warrior Heir was named to Voya’s Best Science Fiction and Fantasy 2005-2006, is a 2006 Booksense Summer Reading Pick, was named to the 2007-2008 Lone Star Reading List,
More about Cinda Williams Chima...

The Heir Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Wizard Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #2)
  • The Dragon Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #3)
  • The Enchanter Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #4)
  • The Sorcerer Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #5)
The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) The Wizard Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #2) The Exiled Queen (Seven Realms, #2) The Gray Wolf Throne (Seven Realms, #3) The Dragon Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #3)

“He's not lazy. He's just highly inefficient.” 184 likes
“Ellen could have killed me," Jack said quietly, "but she didn't. She saved my life."
"How come?" Fitch demanded. "After all this?"
Ellen turned scarlet and stared at the ground. "Maybe none of my opponents ever gave me flowers before," she mumbled.”
166 likes