Start by marking “The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1)

The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles #1)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  38,701 Ratings  ·  2,603 Reviews
One March day, Jack Swift, a high school student in a small college town, forgets to take the medicine he’s taken daily since he was an infant. There ensues a cascade of events that puts him in mortal danger.

Jack discovers he carries a secret within him that has made him a target of the ruthless wizards of the Red and White Rose. Jack is a Warrior Heir, the last of a dying
Published April 1st 2006 by Hyperion Books for Children (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Warrior Heir, please sign up.

Connie Book #1 should be fine for a 15 year old boy. (I'm a picky mom too.) Almost all of the violence is in the prologue - a PG-13 crime scene, pages 4-5.…moreBook #1 should be fine for a 15 year old boy. (I'm a picky mom too.) Almost all of the violence is in the prologue - a PG-13 crime scene, pages 4-5. Much later, there is a fist fight, teenagers drinking beer at a park, and the constant knowledge that wizards are torturing someone somewhere, but details are vague. There are 2 dozen mild swear words (half dozen G-words,) and a few sweet kisses - no sex scenes. The swordplay and magic spells are awesome! (PG rated) Great story-line, page turning excitement, and cool ending.(less)
Kelsie It's really not a bad choice. It has some violence in it, hence the title, but it was a good read. In fact, it's in the children's section at my local…moreIt's really not a bad choice. It has some violence in it, hence the title, but it was a good read. In fact, it's in the children's section at my local library. I think you'll be just fine. (less)

Anne
I'm re-reading this series, and while I enjoyed this book, I'm not sure how to describe it.

description

It's not that Chima isn't a good writer, it's just that it seems (to me) that the plot is better than the storytelling.
Does that make sense?

description

Ok. Well, I guess what I mean is that I'm more invested in seeing what happens in the end, than I am in the characters. Sure, they're ok, but nothing about the way the dialogue is written reaches out and grabs me. It's a cool story, though!

Jack finds out that he's wiza
Meredith
May 08, 2010 Meredith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
LastMonk
Jan 11, 2009 LastMonk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy junkies, teens looking for an enjoyable book NOT loaded with sex and gore.
Recommended to LastMonk by: Actually, I think my mom just picked it up for me because it had
Shelves: new-favorites
The Heir Trilogy, which received great reviews, but somehow never entered the national consciousness, is Chima's first published work. Another story that really gets me excited with inventive concepts and clear imagery, these are really a great read.

The Warrior Heir is the first novel of the trio. We open on a very dramatic prologue, but let's skip that. Now, we meet Jack. (Hi, Jack!)Jack is a pretty nice guy. Good for Jack. But you know there's more than that. Turns out, our hero has some speci
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
(3.5 bumped up to a 4, because goodreads is lame and won't give us half stars.)
Cait (Paper Fury)
Hmm...It's a sold NOPITY NOPE from me. Sadly!! I thought I would like it because I ADORE The Demon King. Seriously adore. But The Warrior Heir just basically raced through a list of mind-numbing cliches and bLAH I WAS SO BORED. It is the author's debut, so I guess I prefer her refined style in The Seven Realms series. But here??? Awk.

Let me give you a list of all the reasons I napped while reading this:

• It has the classic fantasy cliches like: boy is born magical but doesn't know it! Boy has g
Christine Riccio
Aug 02, 2014 Christine Riccio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review is more like 3.67 but I've rounded up because with perspective I have a lot of faith in where this series can go and I'm excited to pick up the second book - here's my full booktalk/ discussion : http://youtu.be/MOM6KgtUFbs?list=UUOk...
Kat O'Keeffe
Aug 01, 2014 Kat O'Keeffe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOO WHAT A THRILLING ENDING! Can't wait to discuss ALL THE THINGS with the Booksplosion peeps at the liveshow tomorrow! It's Aug 2 at 7:00 PM EST on Christine's channel (http://www.youtube.com/polandbananasB...) WHO WILL BE THERE?!
Flannery
3.5 stars.

I liked this book despite reading lots of books that have the same basic plotline:

Hey! I'm a teenager. I've just found out that I'm a __________. People are after me! I better figure out to use my (insert cool weapon and/or power) so I can take down the (insert bad guys)!

So, really, the author must've done a pretty good job of writing a good story and a fast read or I would not like it as much as I did/do! I will read the next two in the trilogy.
Rose
Initial reaction: "The Warrior Heir" was a solid YA fantasy read for me. I was engaged in the story from beginning to end, though I'll admit there were a few rough spots and transitions to it. It didn't slow my momentum through this book, though - I couldn't put it down because much of the rolling action and dynamic had me hooked.

Full review:

"The Warrior Heir" has the honor of being one of the first galleys I was approved for on NetGalley (It was back in 2011, around the time I joined), so it fe
Becky
Nov 24, 2011 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-review
The Warrior Heir is a fantasy story which is set in the contemporary world. It is a hero’s journey tale full of adventure and mystery.

Jack is sixteen and since he had heart surgery as a child, he has been dependent on medicine to keep him alive. Jack has never forgotten to take his medicine but on the day of the soccer team tryouts, he does just that and his ordinary small town life suddenly begins to change. Jack is one of the Weirlind. He was born a wizard but his wizard’s stone was missing –
Ariel
Aug 26, 2014 Ariel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun ride! It was an interesting world and there's nothing like a "normal boy isn't normal he's actually an important player in a battle that he must now face in a different world full of magic and warriors!" story line.

My biggest problem with the story was the writing: it felt very flat and one dimensional. At points it almost felt like I was reading middle grade - which is absolutely fine - but I would have liked something a bit more sophisticated and complex. I'm also not huge into urban fan
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
Okay, this book is officially the last thing by Cinda Williams Chima that I will read.
The funny thing is, I'm not trying to sound mean or whatever (haha, like in the old days!). I just do not like her style, I guess. I really didn't like the Seven Realms books, but that was mostly because I hated the characters. Yes, "hated."

Here...there were just too many issues. Her writing style, to me, seemed very clunky and juvenile. I'm not trying to be mean - this just did not read like the work of a pro
Luann
Feb 13, 2009 Luann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Luann by: QueenAmidala
This is Highlander meets Buffy, and a lot of fun! A centuries old Game is played out involving warriors, wizards, sorcerers, enchanters and soothsayers. I enjoyed this very much and look forward to reading the next two: The Wizard Heir and The Dragon Heir. I guessed several of the surprise twists long before they happened, but that didn't diminish my enjoyment of the story.
Meika
Sep 02, 2007 Meika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story itself is riveting. The pace is brisk. I read most of it in one night...and finished the rest of it in the wee hours of the morning. The characters are well developed, human complete with motivations and failings and reserves of personal strength. The world in which the story was set has a pretty sound set of rules, and the magic is very exciting.
That said, I felt like I was reading a draft version at times. The writing itself was opaque. Meaning, author-style-signature aside, the pres
Chelsea
Nov 26, 2008 Chelsea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens, someone not looking for a masterpiece
Shelves: dropped
I just could NOT get into it. I ended up dropping it after only a few chapters because it seemed like your usual run-of-the-mill, fantasy-for-the-sake-of-it, cliche riddled, ultimately just bad novel. I wasn't intrigued by any of the characters, and even the events of the first few CHAPTERS were predictable. And worst of all, there was nothing to keep me hooked, nothing to hint that it might get better.

Of course, it's possible that I was just too judgmental, seeing as I was ill at the time and w
Joey
Feb 28, 2009 Joey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack is a normal kid, in a normal neighborhood, with normal friends. Nobody knows he's different from the others... until one day at soccer tryouts, he nearly kills another kid. Jack has an uncommon illness that only warriors of the weir have. He was implanted a warrior stone purposely. He takes his medications every morning to prevent any release of power or magic. One morning, he forgets to take it because he is in a rush to get to school. After school at soccer tryouts, he almost killed a ki ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Karin Librarian for TeensReadToo.com

Jack enjoys his normal life in Trinity, Ohio. He spends time with his best friends, goes to school, and is extremely excited about soccer tryouts. Jack is very healthy, despite the thick scar that resides above his heart and the medicine he has to take every day. Life is ordinary - until he forgets to take his medicine.

Soccer tryouts are a breeze. Jack has never felt so alive, and when his nemesis, Lobeck, gets in his way, Jack slams him into the g
Lina
Dec 01, 2013 Lina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
First of all, I can not believe that the same author who wrote the Seven Realms series wrote this. I love the Seven Realms series, I read it after I read the Warrior Heir, and the style is so different. I would never guess that they are written by the same person, the only reason I made the connection was because of the similar covers.

I did not like this book. The main character to me felt dull and boring. I found him very cookie cutter, he didn't feel like a real person. There was nothing in hi
Sinem Yılmaz
Mar 27, 2016 Sinem Yılmaz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Mantık, yani olayların birbirine geçiş şekli, gerçek tarih ile kurgunun birbirine karışması öyle mükemmel ayarlanmış ki okurken tek bir saçma öğeye rastlamıyorsunuz. Bunu bu kadar net bir şekilde söyleyebiliyorum çünkü gerçekten hissettiklerim böyleydi okurken. Yazar yarattığı kasabalar, yarattığı isimler ve farklı fantastik şeylerle asıl tarihi, İngiltere'nin bu büyük savaşını o kadar güzel bir şekilde bize sunmuş ki ilk sayfadan itibaren nefessiz okuyorsunuz."

Yorumun tamamını blogumdan okuyab
Josh
May 21, 2010 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't the best book I've read in awhile - I didn't find myself trying to make time to finish it. However it had a good, fast paced story with enough intrigue and action to keep it interesting.

The only part that really disappointed me was the ending. You spend 400 pages slowing bringing the book to a climax, then in only a few pages you get this overly dramatic, almost unbelievable, way too happy ending. Sort of felt like a bad Disney movie at the end...

But aside from that, it was worth th
puppitypup
Jul 22, 2015 puppitypup rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
YA Fantasy No teen angst!

This one has a lot going for it. It's written from a boy's perspective, so it will appeal to teen boys as well as girls.

I always like stories where the main character has a best friend or two. Jack and his two best friends are likeable characters with a good sense of humor. They always have each other's back, showing a great deal of honor and courage.

Even better, although there is a romance aspect to the novel, it doesn't hijack the story, and the best friends don't get
Fenia
WOW. EPIC. It took me awhile to get into it. And even when i thought i knew stuff,we got more information and boom! "you know nothing John Snow." but by the ending you know most of this world and you're already in love with it. At least i was. am.

Jack is a great character,he's brave,smart,he's handsome.. obviously(!)and he reads books. HE READS. GIVE HIM TO ME. I loved Hastings,Linda,Jack's mom and friends..i just want to hug them all. I want a happy ending for all of them!!!! I think his frien
Robin (Bridge Four)
Jul 30, 2013 Robin (Bridge Four) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
“Just remember who you are... The world will try to change you into someone else. Don't let them. That's the best advice anyone can give you.”

“The Warrior Heir is a contemporary fantasy and coming of age story. It is the classic tale of boy who finds out he has a gift and learning how to hone that gift. Jack is a likeable character, he is kind and a good friend. His family and friends have kept him safe his whole life but now he has to learn how to use his gift before he is discovered and poss
Ten
A very easy to read fantasy, and yet it was no where near the level of intricacy/pure amazing-ness that was Chima's Seven Realms Series. It felt like too many tropes thrown together and the twists were very predictable. However, I did enjoy it and think I will continue on with the series.
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Not bad … but a little weird. The premise was cool, but as it went along it started to get a little random in parts and then really predictable in other parts. It had a lot of plot twists that were verging on dumb, like "Oh guess what?! I'M A WIZARD!" and then somebody else turns around and says "HEY GUESS WHAT!! I'M A WIZARD TOO!!" I'm like, "Okay ... so who ISN'T a wizard?" O.o By the end – which was sorta Hunger Games-esque – I was getting a little bored. Parts were exciting, and the plot was ...more
Liz
May 06, 2016 Liz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bah, that was bad.
That was "certainly three buses, a long walk, eight quid and a taxi from good."

One-dimensional characters, especially a dull and boring MC.
An uncreative setting.
A predictable plot.

Not my cup of tea.

P.S. Modern US states mixed with wizards and warriors and all that jazz?? Haha...No.
Kaitlin
Jul 23, 2014 Kaitlin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book I read mostly throughout the Booktubeathon and I was hoping to really enjoy it as it was the Booksplosian book of the month, however, unfortunately this book really just didn't live up to so many of the other fantasy books I have read. I know that this is a YA fantasy instead of an adult fantasy and therefore it was never going to be as developed in world-building as many adult fantasies are, however it just wasn't as interesting or exciting as I hoped that it would be considering that ...more
Salma Agroudy
Jan 05, 2016 Salma Agroudy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owns, fav-reads-2015
“They fought because they loved the dance, and the weight of a sword in their hands. The clash and spark of metal and hiss of flame was like music written just for them.”

This was epic. EPIC!
Özlem
May 29, 2016 Özlem rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
BİTİRDİM
Emily
Feb 28, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Warrior Heir was one of my favorite books growing up, but I never read the follow-ups. Since I want to read them, I thought rereading the original was a good thing. Boy, was I right.
A few years later from when I first picked up The Warrior Heir (after flirting with it for a good while at the library until I bought it), I can now see why I loved it so much. It features medieval settings, warriors, fights with swords, magic, nice characters and badass women. It feels like The Warrior Heir was
Addicted to YA: The Warrior Heir 6 81 Jun 16, 2016 04:48PM
Something odd about my copy 1 17 Jan 18, 2016 02:31PM
  • The Last Knight (Knight and Rogue, #1)
  • The Shifter (Healing Wars, #1)
  • The Buccaneer's Apprentice (The Cassaforte Chronicles, #2)
  • Dragonfly
  • The Sorcerer King (Faerie Path, #3)
  • The Purple Emperor (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #2)
  • The Fiend and the Forge (The Tapestry, #3)
  • The Eternal Flame (Merlin Saga, #11)
  • Blade of Fire (The Icemark Chronicles, #2)
  • Witchlanders
  • Blackbringer (Dreamdark, #1)
  • StarCrossed (Thief Errant, #1)
  • The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, #5)
  • Skin Hunger (A Resurrection of Magic, #1)
  • The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp (Alfred Kropp, #1)
  • The Floating Island (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #1)
  • Silvertongue (Stoneheart Trilogy, #3)
  • Trickster's Queen (Daughter of the Lioness, #2)
New York Times bestselling author Cinda Williams Chima comes from a long line of fortune-tellers, musicians and spinners of tales. She began writing romance novels in middle school, which were often confiscated by her teachers.

Her Heir Chronicles series (magic comes to contemporary Ohio) comprises The Warrior Heir The Wizard Heir . The Dragon Heir The Enchanter Heir, and the Sorcerer Heir.

Chima's
More about Cinda Williams Chima...

The Heir Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Wizard Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #2)
  • The Dragon Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #3)
  • The Enchanter Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #4)
  • The Sorcerer Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #5)

“He's not lazy. He's just highly inefficient.” 204 likes
“Ellen could have killed me," Jack said quietly, "but she didn't. She saved my life."
"How come?" Fitch demanded. "After all this?"
Ellen turned scarlet and stared at the ground. "Maybe none of my opponents ever gave me flowers before," she mumbled.”
167 likes