Start by marking “Nobody's Baby But Mine” as Want to Read:
Nobody's Baby But Mine

Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars #3)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  26,420 Ratings  ·  1,240 Reviews
Genius physics professor Dr. Jane Darlington desperately wants a baby. But finding a father won't be easy. Jane's super-intelligence made her feel like a freak when she was growing up, and she's determined to spare her own child that suffering. Which means she must find someone very special to father her child. Someone...well... stupid. Cal Bonner, the Chicago Stars' legen ...more
Published May 7th 2002 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1997)

Mimi Smith
Jul 17, 2014 Mimi Smith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1 star

Warning...RANTING AHEAD! Spoilers, too!

First, apologies to all SEP fans and people who liked this book. Usually I don't do reviews of books I don't like but this one annoyed me so much I had to say SOMETHING. And that something probably won't be that coherent, but oh, well.

I read some other books by her and liked them, although I noticed a slightly disturbing pattern-Hero's emotionally immature-heroine falls in love with a hero-hero can't admit he loves her-heroine runs off-hero has an e
ANNA ☘ ͏͏ᵗʰᵉ ᵇᶦᵇᶫᶦᵒᵐᵃᶰᶦᵃᶜᵃᶫ ᵃᵇᶦᵇᶫᶦᵒᵖʰᵒᵇᵉ

Why didn’t somebody tell me sooner how freaking awesome this book was??

You HAVE TO read this book if you like:

* hot football players,

* cold, brooding a**holes who redeem themselves by the end of the book (my personal favorite)

* strong and above average smart heroines,

* love-hate or enemies-to-lovers relationships,

* quirky families in small town settings,

* non-cliché storylines,

*complex, multi-layered characters,

* exceptional writing, witty banter and super hilari
Jun 10, 2015 ♥Sharon♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I am having such a great time reading this series. My first SEP book was Fancy Pants which I really enjoyed but the Chicago Stars Series is quickly becoming my favorite of her books thus far. What I am finding that I enjoy the most is the humor. And I don’t mean just a giggle here and there; I mean laugh out loud humor.

Along with the humor you get a great story line, a sexy and brooding hero and a sweet and beautiful heroine with a backbone. All of the books in this series can be read as a stan
Mar 29, 2015 Mo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phillips unites a beautiful, brainy scientist desperate to be a mom with a brawny, smoking hot jock who, though handsome enough to father her child, is nowhere near as stupid as she wants her baby’s daddy to be.

The lovely Karen is reading this series and her updates and reviews have whetted my appetite to do a re-read. Was it as good second time around? Definitely. I loved it.

I loved Janie. I loved Cal. I loved Annie, the adorable Granny.

“Don't mess with me, Calvin. You'll only get hurt.”
Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog)
5 stars

Nobody—and I do mean no body—crafts a comedic enemies-to-lovers story as well as Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Period. Oh, and arrogant jerks. Somehow she creates these arrogant and bull-headed alphas who are so sweet at heart that they easily win you over. And her heroines? I always adore her gutsy heroines. Basically, I’m a huge SEP fan in case you can’t tell. Nobody’s Baby But Mine is the third book in the Chicago Stars series, and it’s every bit as enjoyable as the previous books.

I fell i
Mar 24, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
 photo 3012bdf6e06a0009c15b28e61cbe9f81-2.jpg

I am going to start sounding like a broken record when it comes to Susan Elizabeth Phillips. And here I go again…. I fucking LOVED this book!!!!!!! What a shocker right? Seriously, I canNOT get enough of these fantastic books. Nobody's Baby But Mine is the third book in The Chicago Stars series. Although the books are written so that they can be read as stand alone, I personally recommend reading them in order.

You are not going to want to miss one single moment of any of these books.
Written March 31, 2015

4.7 Stars - Another great favorite in the best kind of fun and cozy romance novel by an always delivering "champion writer" in this genre

Another great and entertaining Susan Elizabeth Phillips book. An 11 hours audiobook edition from 1997 and once again narrated by a favorite female narrator, Anna Fields. Recommended by Crystal over a year ago. It was at last time.

Happy dancing mood...
One of the best so far in this series. Sooooo much fun. As my, right now kind of SEP bewit
Oct 05, 2016 Karla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars!

It's been a while since I read a SEP book and I'm so glad I decided to read this book.
In a way it was like reading her for the first time I was again amazed at what a wonderful storyteller she is. This is my third book in the Chicago stars series and it's the story of cal and Jane.

"Nobody's baby but mine" was so entertaining right from the first chapter, the way Jane is obsessed about having a baby minus a husband. How everything becomes one huge mess that involves Cal, since his was u
Simone Elkeles
Feb 13, 2015 Simone Elkeles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably my favorite book of Susan's and I've definitely read it multiple times. The premise is actually ridiculous (smart woman wants dumb baby because she was ostracized as a kid for being brilliant so she chooses a "dumb" football player to have sex with/get pregnant). This book is hilariously funny and witty and you just fall in love with the characters. A definite go-to book whenever you want to read one of the best romances of all time.
Jun 24, 2010 Anastasia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, 2010, romance
What a disappointment. Honestly, I don't even know where to begin. Well, first let me start by saying that I despised the underlying plot of a pretentious physicist using a football player without his knowledge to get pregnant.

I honestly despised Jane (the pretentious physicist). What she did was dirty and unforgivable, in my opinion, and yet somehow everyone in the book decides to quickly overlook her wrongdoing. Hardly is there a time while reading a romance book that I actually loathe the wo
Paige  *an exploding fluffball* Bookdragon
If it weren't for the fact that the heroine is NOT acting like a doormat to the sexist hero, then I would have abandoned this book pronto. But thank goodness the heroine does not allow bullshit in her life and it was nice to know that sexist men can learn how to appreciate women and have a HEA.
Heidi Hart
The "Cereal Killer" bit was funny, and that's the only reason I'm giving this two stars instead of one.

I first read this about 10-15 years ago, when I was first starting to read romance. I remembered it fondly, and it's stayed on my "keeper" shelf through more moves than I can count. Rereading it now, though, it's abundantly clear that I'm a much more discriminating reader, and much more in tune with sexual politics than I used to be, because I really didn't like it this time around.

My major i
February 26, 2014

3 years later, this book remains a classic. SEP's characters are still amazing and hilarious. I don't think I need to write another full review.
February 18, 2011

Third times a charm. Maybe this time, I would write a suitable review.

Clearly, I love this book. After reading it every so often (I think, once every 6 months), it has a solid place in my 'Favorites' shelf. What first attracted me to this story? The heroine, Jane. She's one smart cookie, who does one dumb act to get
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
Heart warming..and heart-breaking love story.

LOT of great one liners and hell loads of absolute fun..and of course since its is Miss Susan's after all, uve defiantly got a bit of angst snugged in there...Especially that cookie story,..HOLY SHIT cal's parent's initial relationship defiantly broke my heart
:( *snif*
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I found the hero Cal a little too harsh for my tastes. He represented what I don't like about pro sports players and that whole macho vibe that they can give off. It was wrong what Jane did to him,however he was in the habit of using women, so in some ways it was his karma coming back on him, in my opinion. My issue is that didn't treat her very well after the fact. I can understand him being angry but I feel he should have treated the woman who was pregnant with his child better than he did. Th ...more
I absolutely loved this book - In theory I should have hated it and if this was real life I would as Cal was an ar*ehole a lot of the time, but this is fiction/romance and I loved Jane, her character, her backbone and the witty/funny dialogue between them......I love Susan Elizabeth Phillips! ...more

Wow. I can't even. This book was sooo gooood in soooo many ways that it's going to take some time before I can gather my thoughts and write anything to do justice to this AWESOME MOTHER OF A BOOK!!

Loved the characters.
Loved the writing.
Loved the banter.
Loved the heartbreak.
Loved the romance.

I laughed my arse off.
I wept for Jim and Lynne... (and I NEVER weep reading books!!)
I danced with the women...
I seriously contemplated starting a vegetable garden near th
Vrsha (PeekAtMyBookReview)

La Narradora
Ha merecido mucho la pena buscar este libro hasta debajo de las piedras y encontrarlo. SEP nunca me defrauda. Sólo mio es una historia divertida y entretenida, muy en la línea de los dos primeros. Me ha gustado mucho el choque de identidades de los protagonistas, dos caracteres fuertes que logran encontrar su equilibrio y de paso enamorarse. Aunque no es precisamente una historia corta a mí me ha durado un suspiro y he disfrutado de cada escena. Los secundarios se llevan un 10 por mi parte y est ...more
2.5 stars- audiobook (excellent narration)
Sports, egos and aging, something I can relate too. The sneaky sperm stealing devious action, made me angry. It was nice to read a book about more mature people dealing with age changes. The characters aren't middle aged, but in that between time from after reaching career success and before middle age, the forgotten time. I would have loved it if Jane hadn't done what she did. I had very mixed feelings about this book.
Cal, is a football quarterback who

That's exactly what I've been missing - a proper romance that makes me hold my breath and turn pages or, in this case, audio minutes. A book that stops the world and time around me and keeps me glued to the story.

I honestly don't remember how many times I've read each book in this series. When I discovered Susan Elizabeth Phillips, I haven't stopped until I read every single one of her works. Then, whenever I needed a 'healing' romance, I went back to her. And it had never failed to help
Yomi Milanesa
This was such a disappointment because it had such an interesting premise. The heroine was a freaking physicists (a GENIUS) and most of the time she acted like she was 5, the same goes for the hero. They also had this weird relationship that I just didn't get (a bit toxic too since they loveeeed to argue). The only reason I'm giving it 3 stars is because the heroine said and did some weird stuff which I found funny.
Cee (The Mistress Case)

If you think the picture above has no relations to the story, you're wrong. Dr. Jane Darlington was out to get Calvin Bonner's Lucky Charms and I mean, both his sperm and the cereal.

The "Cereal Killer" bit was funny, I'll give it that. I'm laughing right now just thinking about it.

However, Nobody's Baby But Mine just really bugs me. The supposedly-intelligent "Dumbington" was too stupid and her logic made no sense. "Boner" was too emotionally immature. And I lost my fucks to give by the end of t
Apr 27, 2016 Calpurnia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romántica
Me declaro fan incondicional de SEP. Esta mujer es capaz de presentarte las situaciones más absurdas y los argumentos más estúpidos de tal manera que te los tragas sin rechistar y además disfrutando. Que la declaren Supernanny de honor mundial pero ya, porque si SEP decide que un niño se trague toda la verdurita no solo lo hará sino que encima le pedirá repetir. Y yo voy a repetir, a por el cuarto que voy.
#yamehadado #ansiafutbolera #vivanlosfutbolistaswarriors
Ok, I decided I really like this author!

Somehow, SEP makes me love her stories. I haven't yet read a lot of them, but so far I'm really really enjoying her writing. Can't wait for the next one :D
Nov 14, 2011 Twiggy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read.

Dr Jane Darlington wants a baby but decides that she wants the father to be attractive, athletic but not particularly intelligent on the basis that the child would grow up with a happy mix from both parents.

Cal Bonner is the 36 yr old star quarterback with the Chicago stars, who is in denial about the fact that he is getting older and may not be in a position to play for much longer. Our hero has a thing about age and women, and doesn't like to date anyone over 23 years old.
May 03, 2016 Piper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beth F.
Ugh, two stars might be generous here.

Lately I’ve turned into a Susan Elizabeth Phillips fan girl (NFL romance novels—squee!) but this book was absolute rubbish. The set up involves Jane Darlington, PhD tricking NFL quarterback Cal Bonner into an unwanted pregnancy which he responds to by forcing her into an unwanted marriage. That is wrong on so many levels, I don’t even know where to begin.

I don’t think casual sex is the way to start a family. Epic fucking fail, Jane. Her logic behind select
Mar 23, 2012 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
I normally really enjoy books by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, and I love books with athletes as heroes, and this book was no exception for me.

I don't know why I haven't read this before, but I'm kicking myself for not reading it sooner.

I enjoyed Cal and Jane's story. Cal was a huge jerk and deserved everything Jane threw at him...and she was very creative. I don't know that I would have thought of some of the stuff she did.

The end wasn't great for me. It felt a little rushed, like the author did
Linda Howard Book...: February's Book of the Month-Nobody's Baby But Mine 15 13 Feb 26, 2015 11:09PM
minus one 18 220 Jan 06, 2013 12:24PM
  • See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)
  • Slow Heat (Pacific Heat, #2)
  • Sliding Home (Richmond Rogues, #4)
  • Tall Tales and Wedding Veils (Playboys, #2)
  • Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2)
  • The Penalty Box (New York Blades, #4)
  • Paradise (Second Opportunities, #1)
  • The Promise of Jenny Jones
  • After the Night
  • Faking It (Dempseys, #2)

The Huffington Post says the books of Susan Elizabeth Phillips provide a “gateway drug to the whole [romance] genre,” which she assumes is a good thing. Bookpage magazine calls her “the crown jewel of romantic comedy writers,” which is definitely a good thing. Since she wrote her first novel on a typewriter in her kitchen, her books have been published in over 30 languages
More about Susan Elizabeth Phillips...

Chicago Stars (8 books)
  • It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1)
  • Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2)
  • Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4)
  • This Heart of Mine (Chicago Stars, #5)
  • Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6)
  • Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7)
  • First Star I See Tonight (Chicago Stars, #8)

“I married a damned cereal killer” 293 likes
“She glared at him. "You're doing it again."
"That thing that irritates me."
"Yes. That.”