Start by marking “A Country Called Home” as Want to Read:
A Country Called Home

A Country Called Home

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  396 ratings  ·  95 reviews
A powerful novel of young love and rural isolation from the acclaimed author of In the Wilderness.

Thomas Deracotte is just out of medical school, and his pregnant wife, Helen, have their whole future mapped out for them in upper-crust Connecticut. But they are dreamers, and they set out to create their own farm in rural Idaho instead. The fields are in ruins when they arr
Published October 6th 2009 by Anchor (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Country Called Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Country Called Home

Michael
I found this one a bit overwrought but still compelling and effective in shaking up my expectations. It’s a dark parable of an urban couple from Connecticut moving to the wilds of Idaho in the 60’s and finding themselves unprepared for the challenges they encounter, with tragic consequences.

Thomas is a newly-minted doctor with limited dedication to the profession and only seems to be happy when he is fishing. His young wife Helen longs to be a “free spirit” in response to the expectations of he
Linda Robinson
The blurb writer did not read this book. No hope, no idealism, no luminous. No home. No country for that matter. The Idaho wilderness is the bass note humming in your ears, while every single character conducts the symphony of grief unhealed, pain itching under skin, suffering oozing, regret tasted but not swallowed, the earth itself alternately boiling mud or verdant trap. Pounding, relentless misery like having stones piled on your chest until you can't breathe. There is not even a dog grinnin ...more
Beth
This is the most melodramatic book I have ever read. I am mystified by all the starred reviews it's gotten. The writing was good, but the plotline was over the top and the characters' motivations were, for the most part, a mystery.
Lisa Mettauer
I used to live in a town in Colorado where many hippies moved in the ’70s so they could get ‘back to the land.’ They lived in a variety of yurts, teepees, or log cabins and tried to grow all their food and can and freeze enough to make it through the year. I wasn’t that hardy. I just dabbled in making jams from the apricots and cherries that grew in orchards all around the valley. But I always enjoyed visiting my friends’ farms, and occasionally, farm sitting.

So I was intrigued by the back to th
MJ
Good story and some strong characters, but Derracotte (the husband/father) dragged down the plot. Honestly, the story would have been better without him. When I finished this novel my first thought was "what a dope". No wonder his wife was unfaithful and took a horrible risk that took her life. No wonder no one wanted to see him as a doctor, he obviously didn't care about people. And no wonder his daughter was so messed up. It's a wonder why Manny stuck it out with him for 16 years. All he wante ...more
Agnes
Complicated love story of two, a free spirit and one who thinks she is. Their child and her development, which was rather stunted because of where they lived and her father's lassitude. The local orphan boy who seems to know lots about everythingand actually raises Elise,acting more like a father than Thomas. "Dr" Kalinsky is an interesting character, too.Doesn't have the regular elements of a 'family'.

Unusual the way author use the opening and closing to connect all of the elements of this stor
Marilyn
University of Idaho professor and author, Kim Barnes, crafts a beautiful setting for a sad, dark tale of a couple who fail to discover their idyllic life in rural Northern Idaho. Tragedy besets the characters. Three weeks after reading this novel, I've decided it did reflect real life, though not life as my poly-Anna outlook desires. I'm glad I read "A Country Called Home" and will add Barnes' most recently released novel to my reading list.
Beth
Incredible read. It was quick but very intense. Both sad and uplifting at the same time. I am anxious to read more of Kim Barnes books. She is also a local, she teaches at U of I and lives on Moscow Mountain.
Larraine
It isn't easy for an author to make me cry even once, but Kim Barnes as done it again in this book from 2008. In 1960, fresh out of medical school, Thomas Delacotte takes his wife and love of his life, Helen to a hardscrabble property he has bought sight unseen in Idaho. Inspired by Hemingway's Nick Adams stories, he envisions a simple life away from the pressures of Connecticut and his wife's wealthy family where he can spend what turns out to be most of his time fishing, hunting for wild green ...more
Stacey
It's nearly ridiculous, how good Kim Barnes' work is. I mean, you read her nonfiction, which is nothing short of amazing, and you think, "There's no way her fiction could even come close."

Then it does... what a gifted writer.

From the moment I read the short prologue — which reads more like prose poetry —I knew I was going to love this book. Barnes writes beautifully, both about people and her beloved Idaho wilderness, without being overly sentimental or flowery. Her words have a rugged quality t
McNeil
Again, wishing for an "I loved it" star. But this time I went up instead of down. The lyricism certainly was not lacking. Nothing lacking. Great story--I couldn't put it down. I guess there was just a lot that was pretty similar to In the Wilderness. And why not? Same geography, some of the same time periods covered. The fishing, the religion--all well portrayed, but very clear when you've read someone's memoir just what parts are autobiographical. And man alive, too much smoking. I mean, I don' ...more
Amy
Torn between 2 & 3 stars... I think I shall be generous today and give 3. You must be in a certain frame of mind to enjoy this story (more like 2 different stories in one book) I kept thinking that someone (that she eluded to dying) would pop back into the story later on... nope! THAT would have made a more interesting story, in my opinion. The author writes beautifully, but story fell flat for me... sorry!
Eva Mitnick
An idealistic and romantic young couple, Thomas and Helen, move to the Idaho countryside to provide the nearby villagers with a doctor and to enjoy a peaceful idyll - but Helen becomes bored and unhappy when her husband seems to fish all day rather than practice medicine or spend time with her and baby Elise. A tragedy means that Elise grows up with just her distant dad and handyman Manny as company, and her lack of knowledge about the world or herself lands her in a mental hospital at the tende ...more
JoAnn/QuAppelle
This somewhat difficult-to-read novel was a very sad story, but beautifully rendered. Loving writing about Idaho...its wilderness and one of its small town.

I just finished this book. You know when I sit down mid-day and read it is a book I like! Although "like" may not be the correct word for such a sad and dark story. And gritty would be another good descriptor.

I had put off finishing the book until late afternoon because I was afraid of how it was going to end. But the author managed a sensit
How did Oprah's book club miss this one? Drama, drama, drama-- a novel which checked off many boxes on the list of stereotypical plot twists. A dead mom, an abused child, drug addiction, small town isolation, the gruff-and-quiet-but-loving hero... but I LOVED it. Couldn't put it down. It's a quick read with flowery language that could be off-putting but wasn't to me. Give it a go!
Martha
Sep 01, 2010 Martha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of the western lifestyle
I really enjoyed the style of this book--Barnes doesn't overuse her talent for analogies and is able to describe the feelings and perceptions of her characters wonderfully. She writes indirectly from the perspective of several different characters throughout the book, never revealing too many details as she takes us through their story. Their viewpoints overlap just enough to provide a complete picture of the rural area they live in, but their personal stories and perceptions vary so widely as t ...more
Andrea
Ah, I just loved this book. I'm always a sucker for tragic love stories. It really speaks to how right we attempt to make things and the enormity of just how wrong they can go. I was easily drawn into the story of this young couple who moves to a small town in Idaho trying to make a life, and a similarly young man who comes to experience this with them and quickly gets caught up in and becomes part of their tragedy. Loved it! Barnes is a great writer (a few parts, though, we're a bit - just a bi ...more
Bonnye Reed
I found this book very special. It's one I will keep to read again when I need a lift.
Susan
Jul 04, 2014 Susan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Williston Library book sale Summer 2014
Dawn
Didn't think I was going to like this book at first, but it grew on me. A bit Wallace-Stegner-ish in its style--well-developed characters, the importance of fly-fishing, lyrical writing. Update on 4/13/09--I've downgraded my rating overnight--the last half of the book was good, and would have been a good short story on its own. But the first half of the book suffered from undeveloped characters. I didn't find the main character (the doctor) or his wife compelling--in fact, I just wanted them to ...more
Nina
I don't really like writing this flowery and dramatic, with all the bugs, birds and plants described way over the top. But in spite of the somewhat pompous writing, I must say this is a good book. It had a beginning, a middle and an end which all made sense, even had some transformation of characters, which I always like. I started reading this before finishing the last book ("The Fiction Writer") and finished this one pretty quickly. I recommend it for its excellent story and character developm ...more
Connie Faull
I read this book for my book club. It was an o.k. read. It switched between 4 main characters. The story moved along pretty well. There was only one protagonist that I liked, Manny. The book was pretty well written, but the ending was a little ridiculous which kind of took away a little from the good writing throughout the majority of the book. I have a pet peeve for stories that make a woman (or a man) out to be so wonderful that 2 men (or women) just can't get on with their lives.
Jessica
I wasn't as impressed with this book as I thought I would be based on the reviews I read. It's about a young couple, Thomas and Helen, who impulsively move from Connecticut to a rural farm in Idaho. After their first child is born it seems like nothing is the same for any of them and when Helen mysteriously dies a few months later things go from bad to worse for Thomas. It's a pretty depressing book and no one seems to be happy for long, which is why I only gave it 2 stars.
Susan W. Waflart
This book is from Kim Barnes at the University of Idaho who was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for another novel in 1997. At first I was depressed as I began reading it because there is alot that is depressing about the storyline and there are several tragedies throughout the book. I did, however, get sucked in by the characters. I really liked the way the author described them....she made me see the layers. This is one that might make a good book club selection.
Shaindel
I first heard Kim read from this novel at Whitman College a few years ago and just finished reading it yesterday. Wow. WOW. Beautifully constructed with a few major twists that are gorgeous. I hope to write something this beautiful some day.

The copy editor may have fallen asleep toward the end--a few left out words and the character Elise's name appeared as Elsie at least once. Frustrating moments in an otherwise fine book.
Brenda
From the book:

"The train's whistle drifts downriver. Manny rests his head in his hands as it passes, his breath catching in the engine's wake. He wishes that his life made as much sense as the pistons powering the rockers that turned the wheels that pulled the load toward such sure destinations. He wishes he had held her for a moment longer, long enough to tell her all that she was, and, to him, everything."
CeCe Carson
I grabbed this book while in line at the library & I am so glad I did. The river that flows through the setting is a lovely metaphor for the story. The ending was perfect in its imperfection. It didn't really end. No tidy wrap up; no conclusion. To me, a good ending is key to a good book. Loss and Lack were main features & so heart-rending. I have a lingering feeling that I really do not understand Grief.
Tjbrowne Browne
Kim Barnes has such lovely, poetic prose. She would have earned five stars except that she teaches at U of I. I read Kim's two memoirs, and loved them, but I hadn't realized until recently that she also has two fiction books out. "A Country Called Home" harkens back to her own child-hood, and I see herself and her family very much in her fictional characters.
I would definitely recommend this book!
Marcia
I could not finish this book, which is unusual for me. While the writing is lyrical and the descriptions of nature in that part of the country are captivating, the story is depressing and the characters thin. I found I could not make myself care for or sympathize with them at all. I read other reviews and could not see my way to roughing it out to the end, even if it's a "happy" ending.
Cheryl
I wasn't sure when I started this book that I was going to be able to get into it. Very slow-moving in the beginning, but once I sat down with it, I found it much easier to read. I liked ths story, tragic as it was. Not sure I would read another of her books, though. I thought the entire story was mabye too detailed. I may have liked a little less detail in some parts.
  • Driving on the Rim
  • The World Before Her
  • Pictures at an Exhibition
  • The Virgin of Flames
  • Sand in My Eyes
  • Righting the Mother Tongue: From Olde English to Email, the Tangled Story of English Spelling
  • Judy Garland
  • Damascus
  • Strangers
  • The Dancer and the Thief: A Novel
  • The Tsarina's Daughter
  • The Confessions of Edward Day
I was born in Lewiston, Idaho, in 1958, and one week later, I returned with my mother to our small line-shack on Orofino Creek, where my father worked as a gyppo logger. The majority of my childhood was spent with my younger brother, Greg, in the isolated settlements and cedar camps along the North Fork of Idaho’s Clearwater River. I was the first member of my family to attend college. I hold a BA ...more
More about Kim Barnes...
In the Kingdom of Men In the Wilderness: Coming of Age in Unknown Country Hungry for the World: A Memoir Finding Caruso Kiss Tomorrow Hello: Notes From the Midlife Underground by Twenty-Five Women Over Forty