Start by marking “The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)

The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events #9)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  79,785 Ratings  ·  1,441 Reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
For fans of that slippery author Lemony Snicket, Book the Ninth is here, and it's completely (but wonderfully) dreadful.

When the Baudelaire Orphans finally make it out of Count Olaf's car trunk (from Book the Eighth), they wind up at the horribly perilous Caligari Carnival. Trying to avoid capture but desperate to find out more information abou

Library Binding, 304 pages
Published November 1st 2002 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published October 17th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Carnivorous Carnival, please sign up.

Rosie Hi, This question as already been answered but I thought I would put my two cents in. I've just finished re-reading this book and I think the purpose…moreHi, This question as already been answered but I thought I would put my two cents in. I've just finished re-reading this book and I think the purpose of having the ambidextrous man being considered a freak is to highlight how ridiculous the idea of freaks is - something shown in the scene at towards the end where the crowd are calling Esme's suit and the man with pimples freaks even though they aren't part of the freaks and aren't freakish in any way. It fits with the whole series where the only sane characters seem to be the orphans and is just a silly reminder that the adults in the series aren't the most sensible of people. I'm likely overthinking things but that's what I got from the book this time around reading it. (less)

Mykle
Nov 12, 2007 Mykle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter and I adored the entire series, but this episode is my favorite. It contains perhaps the funniest of Lemony Snicket's etymological digressions. It marks the point where the larger story begins to evolve, where the traumatized young Baudelaire orphans first turn the tables on their arch-nemesis, Count Olaf. And it's also a point where both the orphans and the story mature, evolving from a good-vs-evil fairy tale of morbid victimhood into a subtle study of moral complexity.

It's a pity
Richard Denney
Apr 28, 2016 Richard Denney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the carnival theme this book had going, I was excited that Klaus, Violet, and Sunny dressed up in disguises to fuck up Count Olaf's shit, the mystery of V.F.D is still unsolved, one of their parents might be alive and those poor lions oh my gahhhh...

But...

HOLY MADAME LULU!
THAT ENDING.
THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT ENDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!
I WAS JUMPING ALL OVER MY BED AND SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ONE OF MY DOGS!
This was me after reading that ending:
description

I'M READY FOR BOOK 10!

- Richard
Mark Lawrence
The children arrive hidden in the trunk of Count Olaf's car. A new turn of events - they know where Olaf is and it's them who are in disguise.

The good-evil, noble-villain theme expands. The children are the spies. In addition they meet and join the circus 'freaks' who they see put to the test - decent people in a hard place offered difficult choices - will they act like noble people or villains? The circus freaks are a test case, an example, perhaps an illustration of how Olaf's hench-people &am
Deborah Markus
Snicket engages in some serious moral wrangling in this volume, and forces the reader to do the same. At a crucial moment, the Baudelaire orphans meet a woman who wants to be a good, strong person -- but because her motto is "give people what they want," she can always be manipulated by villains, and always tells herself that she must be a good person, because isn't giving people what they want a good thing to do? The simple answer, "Not if they want bad things!" never seems to occur to her.

It o
Octavia
Aug 16, 2016 Octavia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
Mini Review: Might be my favorite so far! This one finally abandons the formulaic plot of its predecessors. The setting of the carnival was one of my favorites, all in all really happy with this one!
Marianne
The Carnivorous Carnival is the ninth book in A Series of Unfortunate Events by American author, Lemony Snicket (aka Daniel Handler). As we once again join the unlucky Baudelaire orphans, they are trapped in the trunk of Count Olaf’s car as it travels to the Hinterlands down the Rarely Ridden Road to consult Madame Lulu at the Caligari Carnival. Once there, and unable to contact their banker, ever-tussive Mr Poe by phone, they need to adopt a disguise so that they are not recognised by Olaf and ...more
Nadine
Apr 11, 2016 Nadine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"But the sad truth is that the truth is sad, and that what you want does not matter. A series of unfortunate events can happen to anyone, no matter what they want."

The Baudelaire orphans have found themselves in a very dangerous situation and the only way to survive is to disguise themselves. They come so close to discovering answers, but those answers are ripped away from them. Overall, The Carnivorous Carnival is a ridiculous and absurd installment in The Series of Unfortunate Events and I wou
Sandra Bašić
Sep 29, 2016 Sandra Bašić rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zanimljivo ali još uvijek se ne nazire kraj patnji siročića Baudelaire
Isabelle Earley
Nov 13, 2015 Isabelle Earley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story takes place right after the book that came before. Where the Baudelaire orphans are in the trunk of an evil man named Count Olaf’s rickety old car. Count Olaf and his troupe have no idea that the Baudelaires stowed away with them and continue on their path to a mysterious location. Many of the characters in this book don’t seem believable. These characters are mainly part of Count Olaf’s troupe. The author describes these characters as if they are monsters and they are just as cruel a ...more
Natt BookEuphoria
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the children, the circus, the freaks, the disguises, Madame Lulu and the magic cristal. I didnt expect the direction that this book took. I was quite dissapointed about the fact that the Baudelaires didnt learn anything new about the past and whereabouts of their parents. I was very proud of Sunny and her progress. The ending was sad and devastating.
5/5 stars
Marina
No puedo dejar de repetir que esta saga es increíble. El capítulo cinco de este tomo me obligó a dejar de leer por unos segundos y abrazar el libro.
Fa-bu-lo-so.
Tara
Sep 26, 2010 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to believe that this guy can continue to think up new and even more unfortunate events for these three poor children, but he never disappoints!

Quotes:

"Eavesdropping...is a valuable thing to do, and it is often an enjoyable thing to do, but it is not a polite thing to do, and like most impolite things, you are bound to get into trouble if you get caught doing it..."

"Besides getting several paper cuts in the same day or receiving the news that someone in your family has betrayed you to your e
Tasha (faeriedrugs)
I don't have much to say about this, I just didn't like it as much as the others so far. The ending was intense though and I liked that.
Ella
Nov 26, 2015 Ella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
L'ansia :3
Kimberley doruyter
? i have no idea ?
Lauren
These books are starting to drag out now. I'm only reading them because they are short and will allow me to finish my reading goal.
Mary Bronson
I thought this was a great installment of the Series of Unfortunate Events. The children followed Olaf and his troupe to a Carnival which was where Olaf got all of his information about the children from a fortune teller. When they hitched a ride with Olaf in the trunk of his car they came to the carnival and while they were there they found out more information about the V.F.D and what is really going to go on. Now on to the next book.
Cate Neuhauser
Aug 03, 2013 Cate Neuhauser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I thought it would be a good reason to reread this series, I mean the things that happen to the Baudelaire children are more than unfortunate, rather they are downright dreadful and nauseating. I had forgotten some of the horrible things that happened to the Baudelaires and it’s almost like I'm reading these books for the first time.
If you recall, the previous novel left Violet, Klaus, and Sunny squished in the back of Count Olaf's car in an attempt to escape the fire Count Ola
Catherine
“And sometimes we discuss frightening and troublesome animals that might be nearby, and this topic always leads to much disagreement over which part of a frightening and troublesome beast is the most frightening and troublesome. Some say the teeth of the beast, because teeth are used for eating children, and often their parents, and gnawing on their bones. Some say the claws of the beast, because claws are used for ripping things to shreds. And some say the hair of the beast, because hair can ma ...more
Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
An amazing book in an amazing series.

Vocabulary that children will learn by reading this book: carnivorous, bloodthirsty, imbalanced, unnerving, ambidextrous, unruly, displeasing, disenchanting, palatable, woeful, wretched, upholstery, unceasing, hinterlands, voracious, discernible, mulctuary, summarize, punctilio, comrades, eavesdropping, prevail, archduke, rabbi, disentangled, cower, cringe, talcum powder, utterly, unrecognizable, freakish, frantically, recreationally, hover, suspicious, tedio
Paola (A Novel Idea)
Originally posted at A Novel Idea Reviews

Rating: 3/5

The hostile hospital is in flames, and Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire are in the trunk of Count Olaf’s car. The three children have no idea where they’re headed, but it was absolutely imperative to hide in the trunk with Count Olaf’s various disguises in order to find the truth behind the terrible fire that killed their parents. And so they emerge from the trunk, see that they are at a place called the Caligari Carnival, and must then disgu
Julie S.
Kat Thomas
Mar 01, 2011 Kat Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a series these books are incredible. The formulaic plot that is repeated in every book satisfies the child who is being read to's expectation of what's going on, right and wrong and the band of simple characters.

Where the books become really clever is the additional bits of plot woven into the anecdotes, dedications and acknowledgments, written for the older reader, whether parents reading aloud or older children.

The humour is clever, beautifully insightful and infinitely quotable. Type Lem
Ana Mardoll
Jul 09, 2011 Ana Mardoll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ana-reviewed
A Series of Unfortunate Events 9: The Carnivorous Carnival / 9780061757211

What is there to say about this series that I haven't said eight times before already? Once again, Lemony Snicket tells the beautiful, terrifying, and delightfully sardonic tale of the poor unfortunate Baudelaire orphans; once again, the incomparable Tim Curry lends his rich voice talents to the audiobook narration in a tale-telling that is a pure joy to listen to. And if you've liked the series so far for the last eight b
Amy
Mar 15, 2015 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Carnivorous Carnival was okay but this series is starting to drag ridiculously for me, which is why it took me so long to finish this one!

Even though this book did use a different formula to the previous A Series of Unfortunate Events instalments I still thought that the storyline was a little over done.

Count Olaf is supposed to be a very clever man but he still can't seem to capture the Baudelaire children. He also doesn't realise that he is being tricked by the children even though they a
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

Ending: 7

Total: 8

In Dept

Best Part:
The children are wearing disguises
Worst Part: Death.
Thoughts Had: Yah get him; ohhhh; *AHH*

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
Recommending: yes

Short Review: The children is this book are amazing. I love them in this one. They have to wear the disgu
Laurie –A Court of Books–
I remember loving the all "Series of Unfortunate Events". Well, at least I can say that I probably loved them very much because I remember that I read them all in a very short amount of time. And now, couple several years later, I can't tell which one is about what.
Even though I remember I liked them, I also remember how I liked almost everything I read when I was younger. So my mind is probably mistaken.

Someday, I will re-read them ALL and make a real review with a real rating. But for now, I
Siobhan
Oct 12, 2014 Siobhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Following on from where the last book left off the children are once again thrown into what has become a regular routine for them.

Here they seem to inch closer towards the answers that they are searching for, yet it is still not completely clear with the reader having a number of questions due to information in this book. The mystery continues on, ending on a cliff hanger which leads on nicely to the next book.
Sofia Fitzpatrick
SPOILER ALERT!!!! DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT READ IT!!!!! This book was very good but also very dark. When one of Olaf's comrades gets eaten by lions.. WOW. I was delighted but also shocked. But not only does Olaf's comrade get eaten, but Madame Lulu too. I felt quite disappointed at that, but also felt angry that Madame Lulu then decide to push the Baudelaires into the lion pit!! What a traitor! But I guess she had no choice. BUT STILL!!!
Joey
Sep 11, 2016 Joey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
If you're reading this review, you probably have read the previous eight books in the series and now you want to know if you should read the ninth book. Well, I will tell you... you should absolutely, without a doubt, no bones about it NOT read this book. It is the most dreadful, frightening, distressing and unnerving of all the books thus far. The Baudelaire siblings are put into the most unfortunate of situations and for your own piece of mind please stay away from this book.
Around the Year i...: The Carnivorous Carnival, by Lemony Snicket 10 49 Dec 12, 2016 08:56AM
Lemony Snickett 23 125 Jul 06, 2016 02:34PM
The Nooks of Books: The Carnivorous Carnival 1 3 Jan 28, 2015 03:52AM
The ASOUE Challenge: Books Alluded 1 5 Nov 08, 2014 09:06AM
Olivia's motto 4 45 Sep 18, 2014 03:23PM
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • The Edge Chronicles 3: The Clash of the Sky Galleons: Third Book of Quint
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Once Upon a Crime (The Sisters Grimm, #4)
  • Charlie Bone and the Time Twister (The Children of the Red King, #2)
  • Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, #3)
  • The English Roses
  • Now You See Them, Now You Don't (On The Run, #3)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

“Miracles are like meatballs, because nobody can exactly agree on what they are made of, where they come from, or how often they should appear.” 1519 likes
“Grief, a type of sadness that most often occurs when you have lost someone you love, is a sneaky thing, because it can disappear for a long time, and then pop back up when you least expect it.” 998 likes