After the Dark

After the Dark (Dark Angel #3)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  399 ratings  ·  28 reviews
"Secrets and betrayals, as the saga of Dark Angel continues
"In a chaotic world where the lines between good and evil often blur, and violent anarchy andbrutal repression become commonplace, secrets can be deadly. So when Max discovers a shattering truth that Logan has kept concealed from her for years, the betrayal threatens the very essence of theirtrust.
Yet when Logan...more
Published June 3rd 2003 by Del Rey Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about After the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the Dark

Patrick Montero
May 09, 2007 Patrick Montero rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dark Angel Fans
Shelves: sci-fi
I know, I know, but trust me after watching the TV series, which I will defend because I think it was really good, I needed to find out what had happened, did Max and Logan ever get together? Did Col. Lydecker REALLY die? What happened after the end of the second season when the series was unceremoniously canceled? Questions, questions, questions. So there is my motive for reading this series. Despite the horrible analogies and simple writing this is a fun book to read if you were plagued by the...more
Austin James
Oceana2602
This is the better of the two Dark Angel books I bought in my last fit of Dark Angel fannishness. (see my review for Skin Game http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/47... for more fannish confessions).

This one's better because it's all about Max and Logan, and, sigh, well, still a Max/Logan shipper. Not that I want them together. I want them madly in love, and then I want Max to have sex with Alec, and Logan, well, if he needs to have sex, he can have sex with Alec as well. It'd be almost like slee...more
Planchette
Jul 23, 2012 Planchette marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I started this before I realized that I skipped a book. It opens from an unexpected POV ((view spoiler)). I stopped because I can't tell where in the timeline it is, and I'd like to get #2 first. My sister read it and loved it, but she didn't think the author quite nailed Joshua. She thought it might not be the author's fault. The character's charm would be hard to convey in text. She said, at times, he sounded...more
Giorgia
May 27, 2014 Giorgia rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dark Angel fans - hardcore ones only
Nov 08, 2011 Laura rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Only hardcore Dark Angel fans
WARNING: This review contains light spoilers. If you want to be 100% spoiler free, I suggest not reading.

Cons:
1. Bad writing. Way too many similes that don't make sense, or did but just sounded awful and weren't funny the way they were supposed to be. I think sometimes Max Allan Collins started writing but then forgot where he was going, so he just ended in a crappy simile or a bad joke. Not very good writing, to say the least.

2. Annoying plot line. Don't get me wrong; if this were some random e...more
Alexandria Darcy
This was a fun read, if only because it ties up all the loose ends of the TV series. But I have to agree with many people who have reviewed this book already - the cure for Max and Logan's virus was a total cop-out. There are better ways they could have done that. Also, with Logan being kidnapped, there is very little interaction between the two of them, and we never get to see anything from Logan's perspective. I happen to like Logan quite a bit, so his small role in this book was disappointing...more
Jeff
This has to be recommended reading for any fan of the original TV series.

The series ended at a critical point in the story's development, with major plot questions unresolved. This book resolves them.

And, in the telling of the story, Collins has stayed true to his established form in keeping the characters true to their screen presence; it was hard not to see and hear the characters as portrayed by the actors, and that has to be a compliment to any writer.

It's a shame that the networks pulled th...more
Zana
In which Max, the ultimate Mary Sue (superpowers, gorgeous, angsty, saves the world on a regular basis, leader of her people, weight of the world, etc...) quite literally becomes the Messiah. Oh, and gets her man. Finally.

Engaging, but not done well. This got three stars because for a minute there, I thought the author was going to kill off my favorite character, which I never would have forgiven him for -- but he didn't.

Why couldn't they have had an author who actually watched the show, write t...more
Shiran
This book concludes the Dark Angel series. Honestly I think they should have sucked it up and made a movie to finish it off but a book is always a great second choice :)

This is a must read for all die hard Dark Angel fans who are dying to know how the story ends. You'll find out what happens between Max and Logan and what the big "event" is that Max will stop. I really enjoyed the ending and loved the character development, as well as the humorous twist.
Annie
Ich bewerte das Buch jetzt mal super wohlwollend, obwohl es eher eine 3,5 Sterne Bewertung wäre.
Der Autor kennt die Serie offensichtlich nur am Rande und bemüht sich anfangs sehr um Slang. Bis auf den Hauptcharakter hat er seine Hausaufgaben eher nicht gemacht. Trotzdem fand ich es recht gut - bin einiges Leid von Akte X Romanen gewöhnt. In sofern bin ich noch ganz zufrieden. Mal sehen wie die anderen Bücher so sind.
Katie
I feel complete now that a nice chunk of the mysteries swimming around my fav TV show Dark Angel has been cleared up. Though the ending was still sorta open...like more stuff could happen. Hopefully this show decides to come back in some way (like maybe a movie to wrap things up the way the books did) or a third season.

Great book. I suggest reading these books if you're a fan of the show.
Alan
Lack of stars because I felt it was very rushed. (view spoiler) I loved the show and for it to be rushed when they had adequate space in the 3 books to finish it sufficiently is disappointing.
Jake
A very well written and stunning conclusion to the short lived Sci-Fi series. As the inhabitants of Terminal City are finally accepted by the citizens of Seattle. The Conclaves prepare for the end game, as Max is drawn into the final battle with the mysterious Snake Cult.
Adam
The final of the three Dark Angel novels finished off the series very well. All of the loose ends are brought to a close. If you're a fan of the show then definitely buy this and the other books. My only gripe is that there aren't any more books after this one.
Jill Johnson
TERRIBLE ENDING!!!! It was fairly interesting till then. Not a very good author. Luckily the like corny diaolgue from the tv show saved his corny dialogue in the book. Unlike when he is writing books for shows that have good dialogue. Then he ruins it.
Natalie
Atrocious writing. Both books were torture to get through, but I wanted to know so badly how it ended for Max, Logan and the transgenics that I stuck it out anyway. I'm still glad I read them as I now have the closure that the show didn't supply.
Sykora
As with my review for Skin Game, After the Dark wasn't so bad. It tied up most of the loose ends, although some of them were rushed. My only disappointment is that it could have been so much more. But what it was, wasn't that bad.
Bingo
Fun, memorable, and satifying after watching season 2. I liked it better than Skin Game. The story moves around the map pretty well, which added intrigue and made for some good plot structure in a quick-and-easy read.
Theresa
after the terrors of war, and battle, they are learning to find themselves within the darkness of not knowing that their are others like them, and that humans can except them the children
Jackye
Wonderful tie up for the series if you were annoyed by the sudden cancellation of the series after Season 2.
David
Oct 01, 2007 David marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shhh, don't tell anyone...but I watched the show. I might as well waste more time and read the books.
Ashley "Batina"
Very satisfying!! Tied up all the loose ends to the TV series that left all it's fans, hanging!
Not bad for what it was... made me want to go watch the TV series again.
Lynda
Not a good ending. Really, I hated the ending.
Debbie
I was just glad to get some resolution.
Kelly
1st: 3/17/04
2nd: 12/28/11
  • Resident Evil: Apocalypse
  • The Zentraedi Rebellion (Robotech/Lost Generation #19)
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Monster Book
  • Dark Genesis: The Birth of the Psi Corps (Babylon 5: Saga of Psi Corps, #1)
  • The Undertaker's Gift (Torchwood, #14)
  • Skypoint (Torchwood, #8)
  • Trace Memory (Torchwood, #5)
  • Bad Bargain (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 2, #5)
  • Pack Animals (Torchwood, #7)
  • The Repossession Mambo
  • The Twilight Streets (Torchwood, #6)
  • Eureka: Substitution Method (Eureka, #1)
  • Into The Silence (Torchwood, #10)
  • Supernatural: The Official Companion Season 1 (Supernatural : The Official Companion, #1)
  • Consequences (Torchwood, #15)
  • Coyote's Kiss (Supernatural, #8)
  • The House That Jack Built (Torchwood, #12)
  • Heroes: Volume Two
12014
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2006.

He has also published under the name Patrick Culhane. He and his wife, Barbara Collins, have written several books together. Some of them are published under the name Barbara Allan.

Book Awards
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1984) : True Detective
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1992) : Stolen Away
Shamus Awards Best Novel nom...more
More about Max Allan Collins...
Supreme Justice Bones Buried Deep (Bones, #1) Road to Perdition Sin City (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #2) Cold Burn (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #3)