Start by marking “So, You Want to Be Canadian: All About the Most Fascinating People in the World and the Magical Place They Call Home” as Want to Read:

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  19 reviews
So, you want to be Canadian? Who doesn't these days? Canucks are enjoying a major renaissance in attention, from their enlightened social policies to their wild and wooly pop culture. This playful, trivia-packed book is a long-overdue celebration of all things Canadian, from the mysteries of "eh?" to the difference between an Ogo Pogo and a Windingo to how to prepare moose ...more
Published September 2nd 2004 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about So, You Want to Be Canadian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So, You Want to Be Canadian

Louise
I'm married to a Canadian and lived in Canada for two and a half years, so of course I had to read this. I thought it would be kind of interesting and funny.. but it's just awful.

(The next part is an American perspective, but anyone should be able to get the point - every country has its stereotypes, and generalizations, which is what this book focused on) Imagine if someone from somewhere outside (and not very familiar with) the US wrote a book about how cool and amazing everything American is
George
HUMOROUS IN A CANADA DRY SORT OF WAY.

In honor (more properly 'honour', perhaps) of Canada Day [July 1], 2012, Barnes and Noble offered this bit of Canadian humor (i.e. 'humour')--an oxymoron regardless of the spelling--in its NOOKbook edition, for a special promotion price of 99¢. A hard to resist bargain for this self-admitted Canada-phile with Scotch inclinations.

You have to admire the fortitude of writers Kerry Colburn & Rob Sorensen in trying to polk fun at the most humorless people in t
Dante
Who would not review this book five stars?? It's got jokes, it's short and the pictures are nice to look at! What's not to like ya hoser?
alana
Hmm...I guess I'm not in love enough with Canada to really think this is fabulous. This book is a "humourous" look at Canadian...stuff. While a bit low on history and actual cultural practices, it focuses instead on pop culture, hockey, and faux-patriotic looks at holidays. At least, I think it was faux-patriotism...maybe Canadians really do that? I don't know! The pro-Canada humor makes it a bit ambiguous what you can take away as reality and what was just written by a Canada-loving-American pa ...more
Shélah
Very funny book with amusing illustrations, but WAY too focused on America - this book only looks at Canada in terms of how it is different from the United States. It also has some very irritating errors (i.e., calls 'Canada Geese,' 'Canadian Geese' - grrrr!) and is overly simplistic (although given it's size, this is to be expected and they do a decent job). It's a good book to give to your American or Canadian friends (wouldn't recommend for anybody else) as a joke - but edit and add to it fir ...more
A.J.
An impulse-download from the library. It's a very quick read - only 41 pages and had some interesting facts and figures in it. There are some useful tips for wannabe Canadians and a handy list of Canadian celebrities with which to confound those annoying clever types who say (sneeringly) 'But can you name ten famous Canadians?'.

I need to raise my book-reading total for this year (five books behind schedule, eek), so this quick, light-hearted read was welcome.
patricia
So You Want to be a Canadian by Kerry Colburn and Rob Sorenson is only about 41 pages long. It is a look at our neighbor to the north. At times it seems a little tongue in cheek and at times just the facts. I gave it 3 stars because we should know more about our northern neighbor. Not only did they help in 1980 with the Iranian hostage situation but they've sent us good tv programs, newscaters, actors etc.
Keyton
While not exactly citizenship test prep material . . . still a fun, quick read for the Canada-bound.
Chriss
Jul 02, 2009 Chriss rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Canadians and Americans alike!
This little book CRACKS me up. I read and re-read it often. Being Canadian but now living in the USA, I find it silly and comforting to flip through. It's well written and laid out, and quite comical.
Trish
Funny little short read,eh?! I love the using hokey terms romantically section and the misunderstood mullet! We will have to get a copy of this for our cottage in Da Bruce!
Morgan
This book is super cute. I knew most of the information in it but learned a few things. Quick read. Entertaining. Humourous. What I look for in a book.
Amanda
Mar 02, 2009 Amanda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ?
Recommended to Amanda by: walker?
This is my first book towards striving to be a jeopardy coach. It was fun and funny. Love Cananda. Love it. Except for racism. Racism is bad.
Paul Harvey
Not a whole lot of content here. It's a humorous primer of Canadian history and geography. Funny, for what it was.
Tes
Sometimes I just need a little silliness & I also learned a little something too!
Victoria
Learned that I can never become Canadian--I don't drink beer.
Pat
Short, funny book about our neighbors to the north.
Jesica
No me gusto tanto, no es malísimo pero no es gran cosa.
Carrie
I got this book from paperbackswap.com
Courtney
Amusing. Very, very short.
Daryl Chritsensen
Daryl Chritsensen marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Fran
Fran marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Bonnie DaRienzo
Bonnie DaRienzo marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Gin O'Clock
  • Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw: Travels in Search of Canada
  • Some Kind of Magic (Beings in Love, #1)
  • Central Park (Austen Series, #3)
  • Feel This Book: An Essential Guide to Self-Empowerment, Spiritual Supremacy, and Sexual Satisfaction
  • The Black Duke's Prize
  • The Systematic Design of Instruction
  • Counting for Nothing
  • The Great Train Robery / The Andromeda Strain
  • PHP 6 and MySQL 5 for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual Quickpro Guide
How to Have Your Second Child First: 100 Things That Are Good to Know... the First Time Around The U.S. of EH?: How Canada Secretly Controls the United States and Why That's OK Mermaids Mama's Big Book of Little Lifesavers: 398 Ways to Save Your Time, Money, and Sanity Good Drinks for Bad Days