Start by marking “So, You Want to Be Canadian: All About the Most Fascinating People in the World and the Magical Place They Call Home” as Want to Read:

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  181 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
So, you want to be Canadian? Who doesn't these days? Canucks are enjoying a major renaissance in attention, from their enlightened social policies to their wild and wooly pop culture. This playful, trivia-packed book is a long-overdue celebration of all things Canadian, from the mysteries of "eh?" to the difference between an Ogo Pogo and a Windingo to how to prepare moose ...more
Published September 2nd 2004 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about So, You Want to Be Canadian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So, You Want to Be Canadian

George
Jul 01, 2012 George rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, ipad
HUMOROUS IN A CANADA DRY SORT OF WAY.

In honor (more properly 'honour', perhaps) of Canada Day [July 1], 2012, Barnes and Noble offered this bit of Canadian humor (i.e. 'humour')--an oxymoron regardless of the spelling--in its NOOKbook edition, for a special promotion price of 99¢. A hard to resist bargain for this self-admitted Canada-phile with Scotch inclinations.

You have to admire the fortitude of writers Kerry Colburn & Rob Sorensen in trying to polk fun at the most humorless people in t
Louise
Jul 21, 2008 Louise rated it did not like it
Shelves: canada
I'm married to a Canadian and lived in Canada for two and a half years, so of course I had to read this. I thought it would be kind of interesting and funny.. but it's just awful.

(The next part is an American perspective, but anyone should be able to get the point - every country has its stereotypes, and generalizations, which is what this book focused on) Imagine if someone from somewhere outside (and not very familiar with) the US wrote a book about how cool and amazing everything American is
alana
Mar 05, 2013 alana rated it liked it
Hmm...I guess I'm not in love enough with Canada to really think this is fabulous. This book is a "humourous" look at Canadian...stuff. While a bit low on history and actual cultural practices, it focuses instead on pop culture, hockey, and faux-patriotic looks at holidays. At least, I think it was faux-patriotism...maybe Canadians really do that? I don't know! The pro-Canada humor makes it a bit ambiguous what you can take away as reality and what was just written by a Canada-loving-American pa ...more
Chriss
Jul 02, 2009 Chriss rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Canadians and Americans alike!
This little book CRACKS me up. I read and re-read it often. Being Canadian but now living in the USA, I find it silly and comforting to flip through. It's well written and laid out, and quite comical.
Dante
Feb 01, 2008 Dante rated it it was amazing
Who would not review this book five stars?? It's got jokes, it's short and the pictures are nice to look at! What's not to like ya hoser?
Jess
Feb 01, 2016 Jess added it
This book was amazing! l live abroad and found this in the library. This book did exactly what I wanted. It gave me some great laughs and smiles and helped the homesickness!!! I recommend this for all Canadians and their non Canadian loved ones !
Gary
Oct 09, 2015 Gary rated it it was amazing
A short, funny, and informative book about the country that gave us Venus Terzo, Hugh Dillon's Redemption Choir, and most of Ion TV's "original" programs.
I'd like to try poutine.
Shannon
I'm not sure how to rate this since it took almost no time or effort to read, but it was fun!
Shélah
Jul 29, 2011 Shélah rated it it was ok
Very funny book with amusing illustrations, but WAY too focused on America - this book only looks at Canada in terms of how it is different from the United States. It also has some very irritating errors (i.e., calls 'Canada Geese,' 'Canadian Geese' - grrrr!) and is overly simplistic (although given it's size, this is to be expected and they do a decent job). It's a good book to give to your American or Canadian friends (wouldn't recommend for anybody else) as a joke - but edit and add to it fir ...more
A.J.
May 29, 2012 A.J. rated it it was ok
An impulse-download from the library. It's a very quick read - only 41 pages and had some interesting facts and figures in it. There are some useful tips for wannabe Canadians and a handy list of Canadian celebrities with which to confound those annoying clever types who say (sneeringly) 'But can you name ten famous Canadians?'.

I need to raise my book-reading total for this year (five books behind schedule, eek), so this quick, light-hearted read was welcome.
patricia
Sep 15, 2012 patricia rated it liked it
So You Want to be a Canadian by Kerry Colburn and Rob Sorenson is only about 41 pages long. It is a look at our neighbor to the north. At times it seems a little tongue in cheek and at times just the facts. I gave it 3 stars because we should know more about our northern neighbor. Not only did they help in 1980 with the Iranian hostage situation but they've sent us good tv programs, newscaters, actors etc.
Keyton
Jan 12, 2014 Keyton rated it really liked it
While not exactly citizenship test prep material . . . still a fun, quick read for the Canada-bound.
Trish
Jul 02, 2012 Trish rated it really liked it
Funny little short read,eh?! I love the using hokey terms romantically section and the misunderstood mullet! We will have to get a copy of this for our cottage in Da Bruce!
Morgan
Oct 30, 2011 Morgan rated it it was amazing
This book is super cute. I knew most of the information in it but learned a few things. Quick read. Entertaining. Humourous. What I look for in a book.
Amanda
Mar 02, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ?
Recommended to Amanda by: walker?
This is my first book towards striving to be a jeopardy coach. It was fun and funny. Love Cananda. Love it. Except for racism. Racism is bad.
Paul Harvey
Jan 13, 2013 Paul Harvey rated it liked it
Not a whole lot of content here. It's a humorous primer of Canadian history and geography. Funny, for what it was.
Tes
Dec 04, 2008 Tes rated it liked it
Sometimes I just need a little silliness & I also learned a little something too!
Victoria
Jul 31, 2012 Victoria rated it it was ok
Learned that I can never become Canadian--I don't drink beer.
Pat
Aug 17, 2012 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, funny book about our neighbors to the north.
Jesica
Mar 06, 2013 Jesica rated it it was ok
No me gusto tanto, no es malísimo pero no es gran cosa.
Carrie
Sep 18, 2011 Carrie rated it really liked it
I got this book from paperbackswap.com
Courtney
Mar 02, 2013 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian, humour, canada
Amusing. Very, very short.
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Hayley
Hayley marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
conor
conor rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Benjamin Elliott
Benjamin Elliott rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Sasha
Sasha marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw: Travels in Search of Canada
  • Amanda (Austen Series, #5)
  • Gin O'Clock
  • Feel This Book: An Essential Guide to Self-Empowerment, Spiritual Supremacy, and Sexual Satisfaction
  • Fantasy Life
  • PHP 6 and MySQL 5 for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual Quickpro Guide
  • Dogs are from Neptune (Dogs Behaving Badly!)
  • The Great Train Robery / The Andromeda Strain
  • The Virtual Community: Homesteading on the Electronic Frontier
  • Villains Victorious
  • Miles from Nowhere: Tales from America's Contemporary Frontier
  • Head Rush Ajax
  • The Gifts of Athena: Historical Origins of the Knowledge Economy
  • April Fool (Arthur Beauchamp, #2)
  • Stats Canada: Satire On A National Scale
  • Who Killed Canadian History?
  • Open Business Models: How To Thrive In The New Innovation Landscape