Start by marking “From Waif to Gentleman's Wife” as Want to Read:
From Waif to Gentleman's Wife

From Waif to Gentleman's Wife (Wellingfords #4)

When a destitute governess faints on Sir Edward Greaves's threshold, chivalry demands that he offer her temporary shelter. However, the desire Ned feels when he catches her in his arms isn't at all gentlemanly....
With her large, troubled eyes and slender frame, Joanna Merrill calls to something deep inside this guarded man. For one who has purposely shunned the conniving
Published October 1st 2009 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about From Waif to Gentleman's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Waif to Gentleman's Wife

Mary Craven
Sep 16, 2015 Mary Craven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First book I have read by this author. Liked it so much, I went looking for more and found it was book 4 in a book series. Now working on 1,2,and 3. Such a nice style. Not too dull, not to explicit. Well crafted characters and settings.
Gemma
Nov 25, 2010 Gemma rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've read and enjoyed books by this author before, including The Courtesan and Rogue's Lady, so when I found this book at my local thrift store, I eagerly snapped it up. But I was left very disappointed in this book.

My big complaint was the hero. The guy had sex on the brain! Whenever the heroine was around, I swear he never thought with the head on his shoulders. All he can think of is getting her into bed. Even when he first sees her, soaked through and looking pretty much like something the
Annette
Aug 03, 2016 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joanna has had one disaster after another. She is a widow who was forced to become a governess in order to support herself. Unfortunately, because she is a beautiful woman, the gentleman of the house has been pursuing her. The lady of the house, who is well aware of his behavior, is not willing to confront him. Joanna is thrown out of the house and left with very little money and no references.

She has an idea. If she can go to her brother who is the property manager for a large estate she can r
Susan
I just plain did not like the hero in this story. There didn't seem to be much depth to him and what I did read, he rubbed me the wrong way. All throughout he wanted to keep his relationship with the heroine on a friendly basis but every thought he had, he was thinking of getting her in bed. I got about halfway through when I finally decided I just couldn't take any more of his eyeing her plump lips and shapely bosom and wondering what she would feel like beneath him.
Dana
Oct 22, 2009 Dana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t like sexist lying asshole heroes.
Jacqueline
Sep 09, 2010 Jacqueline rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one- it was an irritating read
Recommended to Jacqueline by: Impulse buy
Pages survived: 74

I'm not sure why, but I'm going through an apparent reading-slump.

And, even more odd, for this particular novel, I couldn't say for certain why it was that this particular book wasn't doing it for me. But, regardless, I knew something was missing and it just plain wasn't working.

Normally, I'm not a fan of reading book reviews before having read the book itself first. One, I hate spoilers, and two, I notice quite often that my tastes are very specific and don't always parallel
Anne Neville
Mrs. Joanna Merrill is a proud woman: when her husband dies, she is unwilling to throw herself into the care of her older brother. Instead, she works as a governess. When her lecherous employer forces her to flee with pennies in her pocket, she travels across the country to her brother’s house. When she arrives–famished, dirty, and frozen through–at the estate he manages, she learns he’s been dismissed from his post. In his place she finds the new manager, Ned Greaves, and promptly faints at his ...more
Ggaspar Gegargas
Jan 02, 2015 Ggaspar Gegargas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Aunque en un principio el libro me cautivó fue viniéndose abajo hasta resultarme tedioso. Hay partes de relleno demasiado extensa y las mas interesantes demasiado cortas.

Lo que más me gustó, quizás sea el protagonista masculino, sir Edward.

Lo que menos me gustó, me aburrió en muchas partes y fui leyendo por encima.
Danniell
Feb 02, 2015 Danniell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book by Julia Justiss. It was sweet and light. I liked "Ned" but must say my favorite character was Davie. If your looking for an enjoyable and sweet read then this is a book for you.
Peggy Clayton
Aug 17, 2016 Peggy Clayton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that I just really enjoyed. It is a historical read and I would recommend others to read. This is a home run for Julia!
Akemi Joy
I liked it. This story involved an exploration of class differences in a nuanced way that I really appreciated. I felt the differences between the landed and titled gentry vs. gentlemen/women vs. servants and the working classes was really highlighted in an accessible way to a modern reader. I also liked the descriptions of the countryside and land and architecture and interior design styles. While the plot seemed quite predictable, I thought the settings and characters were interesting. I also ...more
Kelly
I wasn't sold on this novel. The plot was good, the characters okay, but it was the dialogue, I mean holy smoke, it was so cheesy I was surprised the words weren't printed directly onto cheese slices.

`Ooh Ned! Watch as I misread all the baddies and over use the exclamation point in speech!` said stupidly and frustratingly naive Joanna.

If the lead couple had been a bit more kickass and less swoony then this may have been a three. Alas.
Brittany
Oct 20, 2014 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historicals
I just loved this book but I really liked the previous ones a little better. I just cannot wait to start the next one.
Karla
Good romance. Super-nice protagonists, a significant backdrop of period history, and complications between the hero & heroine that is resolved in a totally feel-good manner. The overall relationship between Joanna & Ned here reminded me of Nana & Oliver Worthy in Carla Kelly's "Marrying the Captain" and I enjoyed that one thoroughly as well.
Carol
May 27, 2010 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Your basic Regency romance novel, except it was set in the country, not London. I liked that it covered some history that I was less familiar with. Decent plot, not too convoluterd, The bad guy gets caught and the good guy gets the girl.
Jasey
Shayla
Shayla added it
Aug 17, 2016
Ana Breen
Ana Breen marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Lilian
Lilian marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Mariangela
Mariangela rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Desiree
Desiree rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2016
Roberta2
Roberta2 rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 18, 2015 09:21AM
  • The Disgraceful Mr. Ravenhurst (Scandalous Ravenhursts, #4)
  • Virgin Bought and Paid For
  • The Rake's Wicked Proposal
  • Paying the Virgin's Price (Regency Silk & Scandal, #2)
  • Lady Sparrow
  • Claiming the Forbidden Bride (Regency Silk & Scandal, #4)
  • To Catch a Rogue
  • While She Was Sleeping... (Harlequin Blaze #533)
  • Unlacing the Innocent Miss (Regency Silk & Scandal, #6)
  • The Billionaire's Bride of Convenience
  • A Stormy Spanish Summer
  • In the Master's Bed
  • Marrying The Captain (Channel Fleet, #1)
  • A Notorious Proposition (Winter Garden #3)
  • Mistress: Hired for the Billionaire's Pleasure
  • Häxan (Legenden om Ljusets rike, #7)
  • The Ruthless Greek's Virgin Princess
Julia Justiss grew up breathing the scent of sea air near the colonial town of Annapolis, Maryland, a fact responsible for two of her life-long passions: sailors and history! By age twelve she was a junior tour guide for Historic Annapolis, conducting visitors on walking tours through the city that was a hotbed of revolutionary fervor. (Annapolis hosted its own tea party, dispensing with the cargo ...more
More about Julia Justiss...

Wellingfords (5 books)
  • The Wedding Gamble (Wellingfords, #1)
  • The Proper Wife (Wellingfords, #2)
  • A Most Unconventional Match (Wellingfords, #3)
  • Society's Most Disreputable Gentleman (Wellingfords, #5)