Start by marking “Azur Like It” as Want to Read:
Azur Like It

Azur Like It

3.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  650 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
A witty, winning escapade through the south of France from the internationally bestselling author of Gossip Hound.
The only intrepid reporter in her hometown hamlet, Kate Clegg has dreams of parlaying her dead-end job at the Mercury, or Mockery, as it is affectionately known, into an award-winning career with the most celebrated papers in London. But things seem to be goi
Published January 27th 2004 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Azur Like It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Azur Like It

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Apr 21, 2014 Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit
*Special Content only on my blog, Strange and Random Happenstance during An Excess of Chicks: Chick Lit Month (April 2014)

Kate Clegg dreams of no longer being trapped in a job whose prospects are ever dwindling in her small hometown of Slackmucklethwaite. The local newspaper she works for, The Mercury, has been nicknamed "The Mockery" since it was bought out by a dubious businessman and now concentrates it's energies on advertising and flattering puff pieces. But Kate's horrid new boss has a sex
Rebecca
Jun 18, 2011 Rebecca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
I wanted a big book because I went away the weekend I took this out of the library and usually when I go away I read a lot. But this weekend I didn’t stay in my normal hostel and stayed in an actual hotel room with cable tv and everything, plus had a rental car, so I ended up hardly reading at all. And then when I finally got to this book, I didn’t care at all about anything in it. The Girl was such a push over and retard about everything, it just annoyed the hell out of me. She lives in the sam ...more
Chelsea M
Feb 05, 2016 Chelsea M rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! Loved the many plot twists and the characters, I could almost HEAR their various accents and voices.
Can wait to get my hands on other Holden novels.
MsThomas
Jun 07, 2007 MsThomas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
She's just not as good as Kinsella. The plot took ages to get going, her writing was only funny every now and then... even for a vacation read, it was pretty shallow.
Ilana
Review from when I read this novel four years ago:

It was funny. I swore I had seen the titles for the other books by her in the back...recognized them or something. And in reading, there was a character briefly mentioned who had hennaed hair and aubergine clothes, and I was like, what a coincidence that someone in a completely different novel would be described similarly to in Filthy Rich. Turns out they're the same author...That one I grabbed from a display on the shelf and this one from the al
bookczuk
I was actually a little disappointed in this book. For all the clever and delightful title, I had a hard time keeping the characters straight. The main one didn't win me over, but maybe that's because I thought her an idiot to fall for the boss's son... Even the Cote d' Azur didn't make up for Kate's lack of imagination or taste. Oh well. And the name dropping just isn't my cuppa...

From the Publisher

Brittany
May 17, 2009 Brittany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone looking for a beach read
Recommended to Brittany by: Gillian
How I Came To Read This Book: My sister Gillian recommended it to me.

The Plot: Kate is a reporter for small-town paper the Slackmucklethwaite Mercury, and wants nothing more than to break free from her provincial life (despite being proud of her small-town roots). Enter Nat Hardstone, gorgeous son of her new hard-assed publisher, who promises her glitz and glamour as she heads off to cover the Cannes Film Festival. Once she arrives however, it's a different story - Kate finds herself cast out an
Carmela
Feb 03, 2015 Carmela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was slow going. The intrepid reporter was easily duped, was she living under a rock all of this time? Obviously the bad boy Nat was helping move the story along by taking advantage of her, but then all of the pairing off of couples by the end was too much.
Aynsley Anderson
Not without a few well-written sentences, but slow-moving. At page 100 I thought, "when is this book going to START?" Same feeling at pages 200 and 300. When something finally happened, it was so eye-rollingly cheesy I almost stopped reading the book altogether. Wish I had.
Lucy
Sep 12, 2014 Lucy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book appealed to me because I enjoy reading about travel & foreign places. That was far as the appeal went. I found the story readable (I did finish it) but some of the things that happened in the book, I thought were unrealistic.
Karen
Imagine you're being spoiled rotten with an array of healthy, wholesome, perfectly cooked meals, day in, day out. Wouldn't you just, maybe, get the odd craving for a McDonalds?

Well, that's where I was with my current book, and this chunky, super-sized hardback (origin unknown) became my Big Mac - liberally over-salted with barbed humour and sarcasm, nutritionally thin on plot, leaving one feeling bloated yet unsatisfied and a bit guilty.

The parallels with Bridget Jones (news reporter, sartorial
Leticia
Jan 28, 2015 Leticia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, it kinda bored me - not to death, but A LOT.

Nkoyo
Jan 15, 2015 Nkoyo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wendy Holden is such a funny and witty writer, I love all her books, this one included!!
Amy Ludlow
Jul 08, 2015 Amy Ludlow rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't finish, let alone get through a quarter of it. Terrible.
Claudia
Oct 21, 2014 Claudia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually really enjoy Wendy Holden's books but this one was disappointing, just not as good as Bad Heir Day or Simply Divine.
kiki
Feb 08, 2013 kiki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was quite annoying i must say.Kate is a total dumb ass i cant understand how she is so pitiful and stupid.I was almost feeling sorry for her.you can say the story finally started after the 200th page.All the time you"re reading you wouldn't even no there was a mastery being solved till near the ending of the book.the only reason i finished reading this book was because i don't like reading books halfway.
Nina
Nov 12, 2015 Nina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
With all honesty the first 150/200 are way too boring. It took way too long for me to finish it because it was boring! The book starts getting better when she (Kate) travels to France, but it is still considered BORING! But as the book goes from page 155 it gets better and better. The last 100 pages were lovely! I very much enjoyed the the last 100 pages of it.
Bookworm
Oct 02, 2007 Bookworm rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chicks Who Read Chick-Lit
Pretty formulaic and predictible. Single girl lives in small town, but craves city-life and romance. She falls for a good looking but self-centered jerk, who takes her to the Cannes Film Festival (except guess who ends up paying?). Once in France she makes new friends, finds herself, ditches the jerk and yes, everything ends exactly the way you'd expect.
Wilma
Aug 09, 2007 Wilma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone!
Shelves:
When I was reading this book, I found myself keep on screening on every single word and flipping through the pages and getting deeper and deeper into the story and would stop only when I get sleepy. It's very interesting on how the author could describe every scene very detailed it's like as if you could be there!
Anita
Oct 04, 2011 Anita rated it liked it
Good read. Takes place in England and France's Cote D'Azur. Follows a young journalist from her hometown paper to her dream of covering the Canne Film Festival. Some sections have too much description for my liking, but the story line is good. Has some laugh out loud moments along with mystery and romance.
Tif
Mar 23, 2010 Tif rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't make it more than 50 pages in. I'm kind of ornery about books lately. Don't know what my problem is. But I didn't like the main character and didn't really see that changing much so this one's going back to the library unfinished.
Grace
Aug 12, 2014 Grace rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-reading, france
I thought this book could have been much better. The main character was unrealistically stubborn, and I didn't get why - it didn't contribute to the plotline in any way. The book's back cover blurb is a little misleading.
Nuala
Jan 20, 2012 Nuala rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Far too long and far fetched. Witty at times but Kate was very irritating as the leading character and not the brightest! Kept putting it down and forgetting to finish it ...not exactly a compelling read.
Tracy
Aug 03, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wendy Holden is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. She has a very witty way of writing, amusing manner of naming her characters,and is a master at writing tongue-in-cheek romantic comedies.
Alia
Dec 19, 2012 Alia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The plot was predictable. The ending was..meh, like okay, is this the end? Felt like i wasted my time reading this. By the way, I hate having to pronounce the word slackmuck~whatever shit.
Meg
Jul 25, 2011 Meg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but no substance and no real plot so I wasn't entertained... But if you are looking for a quick read that has an slight mystery twist. Hit this one up at your library.
Victoria
Good British pop lit with a lady reporter in the cold north flees to the south of France to cover the film festival. High jinks throughout. Very light easy reading
Mulva?
Jan 26, 2010 Mulva? rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too many boring things that I could care less about and they just kept going on, and on, and on....
Guera
Dec 06, 2009 Guera rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not enjoy this book and could not get my teeth into it. I eventually put it down unread.
  • Something to Talk about
  • Marrying for Money
  • When She Was Bad
  • Lucy Blue, Where Are You?
  • Perfectly Correct
  • Tongue In Cheek (Lodes Chronicles, #2)
  • Plan B
  • The Ballroom on Magnolia Street
  • Headhunters
  • A Friend of the Family
  • The Reluctant Landlady
Wendy Holden grew up in Yorkshire, and studied English at Girton College, Cambridge. She worked in magazines for many years before joining Tatler's in 1997 as deputy editor, and later moved to the Mail on Sunday’s You magazine, which she left in 2000 to concentrate on writing. She regularly writes features for newspapers and magazines on a range of social, topical and lifestyle subjects and is als ...more
More about Wendy Holden...