Start by marking “Azur Like It” as Want to Read:
Azur Like It

Azur Like It

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  581 ratings  ·  36 reviews
A witty, winning escapade through the south of France from the internationally bestselling author of Gossip Hound.
The only intrepid reporter in her hometown hamlet, Kate Clegg has dreams of parlaying her dead-end job at the Mercury, or Mockery, as it is affectionately known, into an award-winning career with the most celebrated papers in London. But things seem to be goi
Published January 27th 2004 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Azur Like It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Azur Like It

MsThomas
She's just not as good as Kinsella. The plot took ages to get going, her writing was only funny every now and then... even for a vacation read, it was pretty shallow.
Ilana
Review from when I read this novel four years ago:

It was funny. I swore I had seen the titles for the other books by her in the back...recognized them or something. And in reading, there was a character briefly mentioned who had hennaed hair and aubergine clothes, and I was like, what a coincidence that someone in a completely different novel would be described similarly to in Filthy Rich. Turns out they're the same author...That one I grabbed from a display on the shelf and this one from the al
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
*Special Content only on my blog, Strange and Random Happenstance during An Excess of Chicks: Chick Lit Month (April 2014)

Kate Clegg dreams of no longer being trapped in a job whose prospects are ever dwindling in her small hometown of Slackmucklethwaite. The local newspaper she works for, The Mercury, has been nicknamed "The Mockery" since it was bought out by a dubious businessman and now concentrates it's energies on advertising and flattering puff pieces. But Kate's horrid new boss has a sex
bookczuk
I was actually a little disappointed in this book. For all the clever and delightful title, I had a hard time keeping the characters straight. The main one didn't win me over, but maybe that's because I thought her an idiot to fall for the boss's son... Even the Cote d' Azur didn't make up for Kate's lack of imagination or taste. Oh well. And the name dropping just isn't my cuppa...

From the Publisher

Amy Mair
As soon as Kate agreed to spend her savings on asshole millionaire Nat's 1st class ticket to Cannes I just couldn't deal and gave up. I'm not a big chick lit fan in the first place, but I got this at my kid's used book sale and thought it looked like a cute summer read. unfortunately I'm simply not intrigued by coming of age stories starring stupid, passive women. And one seduction scene involves Nat sticking his toes in Kate's crotch under the dinner table, then passing her the bill. Yuck. Appa ...more
Rebecca
I wanted a big book because I went away the weekend I took this out of the library and usually when I go away I read a lot. But this weekend I didn’t stay in my normal hostel and stayed in an actual hotel room with cable tv and everything, plus had a rental car, so I ended up hardly reading at all. And then when I finally got to this book, I didn’t care at all about anything in it. The Girl was such a push over and retard about everything, it just annoyed the hell out of me. She lives in the sam ...more
Brittany
May 17, 2009 Brittany rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone looking for a beach read
Recommended to Brittany by: Gillian
How I Came To Read This Book: My sister Gillian recommended it to me.

The Plot: Kate is a reporter for small-town paper the Slackmucklethwaite Mercury, and wants nothing more than to break free from her provincial life (despite being proud of her small-town roots). Enter Nat Hardstone, gorgeous son of her new hard-assed publisher, who promises her glitz and glamour as she heads off to cover the Cannes Film Festival. Once she arrives however, it's a different story - Kate finds herself cast out an
Carmela
This book was slow going. The intrepid reporter was easily duped, was she living under a rock all of this time? Obviously the bad boy Nat was helping move the story along by taking advantage of her, but then all of the pairing off of couples by the end was too much.
Lucy
This book appealed to me because I enjoy reading about travel & foreign places. That was far as the appeal went. I found the story readable (I did finish it) but some of the things that happened in the book, I thought were unrealistic.
Karen
Imagine you're being spoiled rotten with an array of healthy, wholesome, perfectly cooked meals, day in, day out. Wouldn't you just, maybe, get the odd craving for a McDonalds?

Well, that's where I was with my current book, and this chunky, super-sized hardback (origin unknown) became my Big Mac - liberally over-salted with barbed humour and sarcasm, nutritionally thin on plot, leaving one feeling bloated yet unsatisfied and a bit guilty.

The parallels with Bridget Jones (news reporter, sartorial
Leticia
Honestly, it kinda bored me - not to death, but A LOT.

Nkoyo
Wendy Holden is such a funny and witty writer, I love all her books, this one included!!
Claudia
I usually really enjoy Wendy Holden's books but this one was disappointing, just not as good as Bad Heir Day or Simply Divine.
kiki
This book was quite annoying i must say.Kate is a total dumb ass i cant understand how she is so pitiful and stupid.I was almost feeling sorry for her.you can say the story finally started after the 200th page.All the time you"re reading you wouldn't even no there was a mastery being solved till near the ending of the book.the only reason i finished reading this book was because i don't like reading books halfway.
Bookworm
Oct 02, 2007 Bookworm rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chicks Who Read Chick-Lit
Pretty formulaic and predictible. Single girl lives in small town, but craves city-life and romance. She falls for a good looking but self-centered jerk, who takes her to the Cannes Film Festival (except guess who ends up paying?). Once in France she makes new friends, finds herself, ditches the jerk and yes, everything ends exactly the way you'd expect.
Wilma
Aug 09, 2007 Wilma rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone!
When I was reading this book, I found myself keep on screening on every single word and flipping through the pages and getting deeper and deeper into the story and would stop only when I get sleepy. It's very interesting on how the author could describe every scene very detailed it's like as if you could be there!
Anita
Good read. Takes place in England and France's Cote D'Azur. Follows a young journalist from her hometown paper to her dream of covering the Canne Film Festival. Some sections have too much description for my liking, but the story line is good. Has some laugh out loud moments along with mystery and romance.
Tif
Didn't make it more than 50 pages in. I'm kind of ornery about books lately. Don't know what my problem is. But I didn't like the main character and didn't really see that changing much so this one's going back to the library unfinished.
Grace
I thought this book could have been much better. The main character was unrealistically stubborn, and I didn't get why - it didn't contribute to the plotline in any way. The book's back cover blurb is a little misleading.
Nuala
Far too long and far fetched. Witty at times but Kate was very irritating as the leading character and not the brightest! Kept putting it down and forgetting to finish it ...not exactly a compelling read.
Tracy
Wendy Holden is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. She has a very witty way of writing, amusing manner of naming her characters,and is a master at writing tongue-in-cheek romantic comedies.
Alia
The plot was predictable. The ending was..meh, like okay, is this the end? Felt like i wasted my time reading this. By the way, I hate having to pronounce the word slackmuck~whatever shit.
Meg
Good but no substance and no real plot so I wasn't entertained... But if you are looking for a quick read that has an slight mystery twist. Hit this one up at your library.
Victoria
Good British pop lit with a lady reporter in the cold north flees to the south of France to cover the film festival. High jinks throughout. Very light easy reading
Mulva?
Too many boring things that I could care less about and they just kept going on, and on, and on....
Guera
I did not enjoy this book and could not get my teeth into it. I eventually put it down unread.
Melissa
Any time Champagne Divine honks her way into Holden's books, I'm giggling with glee.
Mary
Mar 18, 2009 Mary is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far I don't know if I like it, it's kind of weird.
Jen
Cute! Made me want to go to the south of France.
karen
Jun 11, 2007 karen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chick-Lit fans
A breezy, entertaining read. I enjoyed it!
  • It Had to Be You
  • Tongue In Cheek (Lodes Chronicles, #2)
  • Marrying for Money
  • Hollywood Divorces
  • Society Girls
  • My Beloved Son
  • Going The Distance
Wendy Holden grew up in Yorkshire, and studied English at Girton College, Cambridge. She worked in magazines for many years before joining Tatler's in 1997 as deputy editor, and later moved to the Mail on Sunday’s You magazine, which she left in 2000 to concentrate on writing. She regularly writes features for newspapers and magazines on a range of social, topical and lifestyle subjects and is als ...more
More about Wendy Holden...
Simply Divine Bad Heir Day Farm Fatale: A Comedy of Country Manors The Wives of Bath Beautiful People