The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3)

The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme #3)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  12,263 ratings  ·  388 reviews
Jeffery Deaver's ingenious, wheelchair-bound criminalist from the international bestsellers The Bone Collector and The Coffin Dancer returns with a bang when an appointment at a renowned North Carolina hospital puts him in the exact wrong place at the exact wrong time.

When the police turn to Lincoln for help finding two kidnapped hometown girls, he has no idea that the ki...more
Published June 30th 2000 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Empty Chair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Empty Chair

Richard
7/10

Not quite up to the standard of the previous two books in the series but still a decent read overall. The events unfold in North Carolina which added both good and bad points. A new setting meant new ideas could be explored and different places viewed with new people added into the mix. But it did feel like Deaver had picked up Redneck 101 and just put a couple of generic characters in there to add to the different location feel.

This was the same usual style as all other Deaver books in that...more
Christy
Quadriplegic, criminalist Lincoln Rhyme, accompanied by his lover, investigator Amelia Sachs and his assistant Thom, is in Avery, North Carolina, where he hopes to undergo experimental surgery to aid with spinal cord regeneration. His first day there, Rhyme is visited by Jim Bell, sheriff of Paquenoke County, where two women have been kidnapped and a young man killed by 16-year-old Garrett Hanlon, nicknamed the Insect Boy because of his interest in bugs. Garrett’s on the run and Bell wants Rhyme...more
Ian
Ok, so i've read The Bone Collector, The Coffin Dancer and now The Empty Chair in quick succession. Honestly i'm in awe of how absolutely great these books have been. This though has been my favourite one so far, and i was wondering how the preceding books could have been bettered but bloody hell they were! The relationship between Lincoln and Amelia continuing to be the backdrop framing, and increasing, the tension of the cat and mouse chase to discover the truth. The feel and images of the loc...more
Terri Lynn
I hate to say it because I am a Jeffery Deaver fan and I really love the character of Lincoln Rhyme (and Amelia Sachs) but I really didn't like this one. Maybe it is because a city girl like me finds it hard to stomach the southern hick theme. Ugh.

Essentially, the story involved Lincoln Rhyme going to northeastern North Carolina with his partner Amelia Sachs and his caregiver Thom to have an experimental surgery that might help improve his situation- if it doesn't kill him. There is police corru...more
Daniel
Okay, okay, okay. Deaver is not out to win any writing awards. I had to struggle with that at first. He wrote this novel the way some of us write comments on a co-worker's birthday card. We keep it short, try to be witty, and rarely use complete sentences. Perhaps I was disappointed because I read The Devil's Teardrop first. Also by Deaver, Teardrop is a fantastic example of a hardboiled forensic thriller that doesn't cop-out and doesn't resort to stunted writing in order to keep the pace lively...more
Harry
By far, Jeffery Deaver is the one author with that uncanny ability to develop plot twists and very complex characters that leave you stunned to the end. If you've seen the movie, trust me, the books are far more ingenious and developed as compared to what we were presented with on the silver screen. The Bone Collector is a series novel starring Lincoln Rhyme, our famous forensics expert bound to his bed and mobile wheelchair.

Reading this novel I am reminded to never commit a crime. The art of fo...more
Mike (the Paladin)
This was the one that ended my Jeffery Deaver/Lincoln Rhyme period. Not as well constructed, somewhat (forgive me) contrived the book lost me early on and just never got me back. I felt like the characters didn't stay true to themselves and this Lincoln Rhyme wasn't the same Lincoln Rhyme I'd met earlier. He somehow didn't come across with the same attitude toward the law or his place in enforcing it.

May pick others up at a later date...
Tony
Jeffery Deaver- The Empty Chair (Pocket Books 2005) 3.75 Stars

Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs are asked to assist a small town police force in hunting down a brilliant kidnapper aptly named Insect Boy. Finding the boy may not be so difficult, but keeping him within their grasp may just be the toughest thing they have ever done. This may be their toughest case yet, pitting these allies on opposite sides.

Although The Empty Chair is described as a thriller, I feel it fits better into the mystery gen...more
Marty
I can't put the Lincoln Rhyme novels down once I start reading, but find them ultimately rather unsatisfying. They set up one cliff-hanger after another only to find out again and again that Rhyme has anticipated it and set up the bad guys. Then you get an ending so improbable it's hard to keep a straight face. The bad guys are all revealed, the good guys are all OK and even the accidental killing turns out to have been a bad guy, so that's OK too. I rather like the characters of Lincoln Rhyme a...more
Janie Johnson
This installment of the Lincoln Rhyme series was better than The Coffin dancer, although I still had some issues with the story. For the most part it was enjoyable and easy to get through. I feel as though I may be getting a little burned out on Lincoln Rhyme though.

In this book a teenager, Garrett, is accused of murdering one male and kidnapping 2 females. Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs are called in to help solve the crime and find the missing girls, before time runs out. And of course other t...more
Scilla
Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs have gone to North Carolina for surgery which might improve Lincoln's condition. The Sheriff of nearby Paquenoke County, Jim Bell, cousin of Rhyme's colleague Rolland Bell, arrives to ask for help. Two girls have been kidnapped (student researcher Mary Beth and then nurse Lydia), and the kidnapper, sixteen year old orphan Garrett, called Insect Boy, killed the man trying to rescue Mary Beth and probably several other several people. Lincoln and Amelia set up a crim...more
Manugw
IN MY OPINION HI have been reading most of Jeffery Deaver's work and "The Empty Chair" shows that he has grown as an accomplished suspense writer deserving to be among the big authors
This amazing novel features forensic scientist Lincoln Rhyme and assistant Sachs, (a Deaver classic), in this opportunity, trying to find clues and whereabouts of victims around the swamps of North Carolina. The book also provides a reference map before the first chapter to follow Lincoln Rhyme's search.

Suspense, ac...more
Cathy DuPont
Okay, I get it...yes, I did what I consider the unpardonable, skipping a book in the series. However, it may have saved me time in the long run, by not going back and reading it.

I read the first in Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series, The Bone Collector and loved it...gushed over it, which I can do from time to time. Gave it four stars only because I'm so stingy with five stars...saving them for the best of the best.

The Bone Collector was what a great mystery should be, had all the elements for a be...more
Sandie
"t's not easy being NYPD detective Lincoln Rhyme, the world's foremost criminalist. First of all, he's a quadriplegic. Secondly, he's forever being second-guessed and mother-henned by his ex-model-turned-cop protégé, Amelia Sachs, and his personal aide, Thom. And thirdly, it seems that he can't motor his wheelchair around a corner without bumping into one crazed psycho-killer after another.
In The Empty Chair, Jeffery Deaver's third Rhyme outing--after 1997's The Bone Collector and 1998's The Cof...more
Ayu Ikhwani
I took almost 3 weeks in finishing this book.. NOT because it wasn't good enough though =)

I had a lot going on, distracted by a few events but somehow, no matter how many days I had left this book to fend for itself, I could find myself immersed in the plot right where I left it. This is a plus for me as I left the book for days at time so at least I didn't have to reread it to gain back the sense of the story.

The first three quarters of the book had a good enough pace.. not too slow, but not to...more
Dave
Book three in the 'Lincoln Rhyme' series takes our main characters out of their Manhattan comfort zone and into the swamps of North Carolina; no mean feat for a quadriplegic forensic genius. While this book does tend to nod to the 'all southerners are evil scum', cliche the pace, the writing and the wonderful characterisations of Rhyme and his protégée, Officer Sachs, and the various good guys / bad guys they encounter keep you going. I started this in the morning and finished it by early evenin...more
Denise
I always love the twists and turns Jeffery Deaver takes in his stories, but there was one part in this one that struck a chord in me....

"There are those who suggest that a divine force doesn't exist, but one's cynicism is truly put to the test when we look at the world of insects, which have been graced with so many amazing characteristics: wings so thin they seem hardly to be made of any living material, bodies without a single milligram of excess weight, wind-speed detectors accurate to a frac...more
Afsana
Sep 13, 2009 Afsana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jeffery deaver fans and lover of twist
Darcy
Deaver unfailingly produces a great psychological thriller. In this continuing saga of criminalist Lincoln Rhyme and detective Amelia Sachs, I was somewhat shocked that the author seemed to be so unfair to his character Sachs. She has been carefully built up in this and other novels as an unfailingly professional and painstaking investigator and I thought there was one scene in this story where the author was totally unfair to her just for the sake of a new twist to the plot. I don’t think the A...more
Felts
This one should actually rate about a 2 1/2 star. I usually really enjoy books that go a mile a minute and have several twists in the storyline, and "The Empty Chair" certainly fits those criteria. However, Deaver may have included one or three too many twists in this one. The further along I got in the book, the further the stars in the rating kept dropping. It's still a fun read and I'm sure I'll pick up the next one in the series.
Kathryn
Another great installment in the Lincoln Rhyme series! I have to admit, I was quite skeptical of The Empty Chair because the previous installment, The Coffin Dancer wasn't my favorite Deaver book.

One thing I really enjoyed about the case in this novel was, Deaver brought back the forensics, Lincoln Rhyme's specialty. In the second installment,I felt like the forensics was missing, or at least not to the extent of the usual Lincoln Rhyme.

Something else I enjoyed about The Empty Chair was the...more
Hermioneginny
Lincoln, Amelia e Thom sono in North Carolina per un'operazione sperimentale che potrebbe permettere a Lincoln di muoversi un po' di più. Quando lo sceriffo locale chiede loro aiuto per il rapimento di due ragazze, Amelia convince Lincoln ad aiutarlo. Tutti sono sicuri che il colpevole sia un adolescente problematico che ama gli insetti, ma Amelia sente che non è così...

Una stellina meno del solito perché odio gli insetti. Proprio non li sopporto, mi fanno schifo. E per una frase di Amelia su Th...more
Jo
Another excellent thriller featuring Lincoln Rhyme, the 3rd in the series. You can read these as standalones but I am enjoying seeing the back-story progress. I like that each story is different in setting and people, with various recurring characters, and although the style of twists is becoming familiar, they are not predictable.
Rhonda
Wow, this is the first time I have ever read anything by Jeffery Deaver and I am so impressed.
The Empty Chair is the third book in his series and I normally start at the beginning. But I found this book at a yard sale a long time ago and finally sat down to read it.
I am normally very good at figuring out the "bad guys" and for a lot of books, they tend to mostly follow a pattern that is pretty predictable.
But with Mr. Deaver, he kept me totally fixated on getting to the next chapter, since every...more
Tuesday's Child
As always, a good solid read. You know to expect twists and turns, but he still manages to surprise!
Elizabeth
So many twists and turns in this exciting thriller! Criminalist Lincoln Rhymes, in North Carolina for medical reasons, gets dragged in to helping the locals in their search for trow women who have been kidnapped by a n alleged murderer. A "fishing out of water" in the small southern town, Manhattanites Rhyme and his partner Amelia Sachs deal with an unknown environment, old prejudices, and local lore as the search leads them through forests and swamps, to a moonshiner's cabin and an abandoned ca...more
Manda
Neil Collins
The Empty Chair is the third novel in the Deaver’s Lincoln Rhyme series, and while it was not quite as gripping for me as the previous two, it does stand well in both story and telling.

Back for this outing are the primary protagonists, quadriplegic criminologist Lincoln Rhyme and his protégé-turned love interest, Amelia Sachs. Also along for the ride is Thom, the long suffering medical aid to Rhyme, and seemingly the only one who can weather his moody obstinance.

However, the similarities and fam...more
Jen A.
Another book "found" while cleaning my office. If I'd been a bit more patient, I would've gone to the library and checked out the first two in Deaver's series, which includes The Bone Collector (I think I've watched the movie but not read the book). Luckily, Deaver wrote a solid book that stood fair enough on its own (but my understanding was boosted by having remembered bits from the movie).

I like Deaver's characters, and his storytelling is spot-on: he's an author that doesn't let you predict...more
  • Flesh and Blood (Alex Delaware, #15)
  • Chosen Prey (Lucas Davenport, #12)
  • Monday Mourning (Temperance Brennan, #7)
  • The Torment of Others (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #4)
  • Lazybones (Tom Thorne, #3)
  • The Killing Kind (Charlie Parker, #3)
  • Stone Angel (Kathleen Mallory, #4)
  • The Kills (Alexandra Cooper, #6)
  • Flesh and Bone (Body Farm #2)
  • Jupiter's Bones (Peter Decker Rina Lazarus, #11)
Jeffery Deaver was born outside of Chicago in 1950. His father was an advertising copywriter and his mother was a homemaker. Deaver worked as a magazine writer, then, to gain the background needed to become a legal correspondent for The New York Times or Wall Street Journal, he enrolled at Fordham Law School. In 1990 he started to write full time. Deaver has been nominated for six Edgar Awards fro...more
More about Jeffery Deaver...
The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1) The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2) The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5) The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8) The Sleeping Doll (Kathryn Dance, #1)