Start by marking “I Only Roast the Ones I Love: Busting Balls Without Burning Bridges” as Want to Read:
I Only Roast the Ones I Love: Busting Balls Without Burning Bridges

I Only Roast the Ones I Love: Busting Balls Without Burning Bridges

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Jeffrey Ross is one of the world’s most foremost practitioners of insult comedy. Having escaped from his family’s kosher catering business, he spent years in the comedy circuit and mastered his craft of delivering hilarious and often offensive insults. Mixing silliness and sincerity, Ross explains the overall history of the roast and explains the art of ...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Gallery Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I Only Roast the Ones I Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Only Roast the Ones I Love

I Only Roast the Ones I Love was a superbly quick read (2 nights). I’m led to believe that comedians write the best books, and Jeffrey Ross is no exception! In this book, Ross shares his secrets of being a successful Roast Master and weaves them into anecdotes from his life. He also includes roast highlights that inspired me to try a line on my boyfriend:

“Hey Sparky, your face looks like Fred Flinstone and Barney Rubble had a kid and got punched in the face.”

I had never seen him look prouder.

I like that Jeff Ross' approach to roasting is more of a brutally honest, upfront and with no bad intentions (other than a laugh) than the sneaky tricks to make fun of off-guard people or even worst, trick them into that, plus he's also quite good at measuring if something is getting out of line. And that's why I was interested on this book which by the way, also has a bunch of stories with other great comedians such as Buddy Hackett, Dave Chappelle, Sarah Silverman, Charlie Barnett, etc...

For e
Started on Monday and finished almost exactly three days later. That should tell you everything right there. This is the book I was hoping Russell Brand's book would be: really funny, smart, insightful and with unsentimental heart. Jeffrey Ross is typically the funniest person at every roast you see on Comedy Central. This book is a how-to for Roasters and an auto-biography of a fascinating life so far. Ross talks about the meanest/funniest/meanest/funniest thing I've ever heard at a Roast. It h ...more
This review is already poisoned by the fact that I LOVE Jeff Ross. He is one of my all-time favorite stand-ups, and has been ever since I was about 12 years old. He made me tear up laughing then, and he still does now. He was maybe the first comic that I felt was "mine," and whose sheer cleverness blew me away everytime.
So know that this book I already knew was going to be great before I opened it. In reality, it's probably only a 3-star read, but for a fan, and really, anybody interested in ro
Framed as a primer on how to roast, with a good deal of braggadocio style Hollywood autobiography, anecdotes, personal philosophy, and wall to wall quality roast jokes. I always like Jeff Ross' performances killing on Comedy Central roasts and got more curious about him after seeing his live at Brazos County Jail special, in which he roasts inmates in a strikingly good-hearted way and offers more of a personal behind the scenes point of view than most comedy specials. The stand-up is spliced wit ...more
Heather Ladiski
I truly enjoyed reading this book. Not only for the tips on how to be a roastmaster but for the look inside Jeff's life. It was one of those books that I did not want to put down.
I hated this book. But not because it was bad. While I was reading it I was under a pretty hard asthma attack. Practically every page had a joke or funny moment in it. That in turn had me cough/laughing till I almost ran out of air. It was nice because you got the "behind the scene" views from events like Dancing with the stars, The Obama Inaguration, The roast of pamela anderson. The Tom Cruise Cousin Sal fiasco ....

I would definitely recommend this to make people happy.
Part auto-biography, part "how-to-roast" techniques and advice, this book is pretty good.
I learned a lot about the art of roasting (it takes more savvy than you might think) and a little about Jeff Ross: the man, and how he got where he is today. This was a perfect book for me: I'm a big fan of stand-up, Jeff Ross, and Comedy Central Roasts. After you read this, you'll be throwing out the zingers like crazy! Also, the chapter on Bea Arthur is hilarious.
Funny book, had a lot of good anecdotes (although it's really more of a memoir than a how-to guide). Also the first book I read that thanked the reader for actually following through and not shelving it after 50 pages. i do that too often.....
Reminded me of Craig Ferguson's 'American on Purpose', particularly the bits describing what it's like starting out in comedy. But overall the book was a bit of a mess, without any real clear point--more of a vanity project I'd say.
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Although it predictably rehashed a lot of Ross's comedy, it had a surprising amount of heart. It was one of the better autobiographies I have read in a while.
Quick, fun read that teaches you how to tell jokes while getting you to care about Jeff Ross. Liked it a lot.
Darin Ciccotelli
Don't judge me. How many other books are there that help you write roast jokes?
Ross is funny. Get it from the library and rip through it for a few laughs.
Very funny, better (and more interesting) than expected.
Steven Spector
Great Berle & Hackett anecdotes; otherwise, I'd pass.
Iriny marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Tim TW
Tim TW marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Michael Vasquez jr
Michael Vasquez jr is currently reading it
Sep 19, 2015
Antonin Rouard
Antonin Rouard marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Louise marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
  • A Broom of One's Own: Words on Writing, Housecleaning, and Life
  • Hello Darling, Are You Working?
  • The Sound of No Hands Clapping
  • You Say Tomato, I Say Shut Up: A Love Story
  • Eating for Beginners: An Education in the Pleasures of Food from Chefs, Farmers, and One Picky Kid
  • How to Insult, Abuse & Insinuate in Classical Latin
  • Gastronaut: Adventures in Food for the Romantic, the Foolhardy, and the Brave
  • When You Lie About Your Age, the Terrorists Win: Reflections on Looking in the Mirror
  • The Naughty Bits: The Steamiest and Most Scandalous Sex Scenes from the World's Great Books
  • Heirloom: Notes from an Accidental Tomato Farmer
  • Inside Inside
  • Fried Eggs with Chopsticks: One Woman's Hilarious Adventure into a Country and a Culture Not Her Own
  • Hogan
  • Don't Try This At Home: Culinary Catastrophes from the World's Greatest Chefs
  • It Was a Dark and Stormy Night
  • Last Day of My Life
  • I'll Scream Later
  • Musings on Minutiae
Silent Sonora: Tent Life in Scottsdale, Arizona Silent Sonora: Tent Life in the Scottsdale, Arizona Love in the RV Park MR Angiography of the Head and Neck: A Teaching File Even More Old Jewish Comedians