I Only Roast the Ones I Love: Busting Balls Without Burning Bridges

I Only Roast the Ones I Love: Busting Balls Without Burning Bridges

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Jeffrey Ross is one of the world’s most foremost practitioners of insult comedy. Having escaped from his family’s kosher catering business, he spent years in the comedy circuit and mastered his craft of delivering hilarious and often offensive insults. Mixing silliness and sincerity, Ross explains the overall history of the roast and explains the art of...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Gallery Books (first published 2009)

Diana
I Only Roast the Ones I Love was a superbly quick read (2 nights). I’m led to believe that comedians write the best books, and Jeffrey Ross is no exception! In this book, Ross shares his secrets of being a successful Roast Master and weaves them into anecdotes from his life. He also includes roast highlights that inspired me to try a line on my boyfriend:

“Hey Sparky, your face looks like Fred Flinstone and Barney Rubble had a kid and got punched in the face.”

I had never seen him look prouder.

In...more
Josh
This review is already poisoned by the fact that I LOVE Jeff Ross. He is one of my all-time favorite stand-ups, and has been ever since I was about 12 years old. He made me tear up laughing then, and he still does now. He was maybe the first comic that I felt was "mine," and whose sheer cleverness blew me away everytime.
So know that this book I already knew was going to be great before I opened it. In reality, it's probably only a 3-star read, but for a fan, and really, anybody interested in ro...more
Jpablobr
I really liked this book, I LOL'd on pretty much every single page. He's also very good at making funny jokes on pretty bad scenarios. I was kind of expecting him to be more of an a**, but the complete opposite. He's actually quite a sensible guy; the Cousin Sal story proves it. Or when he mentions that he refused to accept the allowance his dad offered him because he was already paying for his college or how he took care of his grandfather before dying.

I also like his approach to roasting, that...more
Ed
Started on Monday and finished almost exactly three days later. That should tell you everything right there. This is the book I was hoping Russell Brand's book would be: really funny, smart, insightful and with unsentimental heart. Jeffrey Ross is typically the funniest person at every roast you see on Comedy Central. This book is a how-to for Roasters and an auto-biography of a fascinating life so far. Ross talks about the meanest/funniest/meanest/funniest thing I've ever heard at a Roast. It h...more
Fabian
I hated this book. But not because it was bad. While I was reading it I was under a pretty hard asthma attack. Practically every page had a joke or funny moment in it. That in turn had me cough/laughing till I almost ran out of air. It was nice because you got the "behind the scene" views from events like Dancing with the stars, The Obama Inaguration, The roast of pamela anderson. The Tom Cruise Cousin Sal fiasco ....

I would definitely recommend this to make people happy.
Melly
Part auto-biography, part "how-to-roast" techniques and advice, this book is pretty good.
I learned a lot about the art of roasting (it takes more savvy than you might think) and a little about Jeff Ross: the man, and how he got where he is today. This was a perfect book for me: I'm a big fan of stand-up, Jeff Ross, and Comedy Central Roasts. After you read this, you'll be throwing out the zingers like crazy! Also, the chapter on Bea Arthur is hilarious.
Robert
Reminded me of Craig Ferguson's 'American on Purpose', particularly the bits describing what it's like starting out in comedy. But overall the book was a bit of a mess, without any real clear point--more of a vanity project I'd say.
Quick, fun read that teaches you how to tell jokes while getting you to care about Jeff Ross. Liked it a lot.
Darin Ciccotelli
Don't judge me. How many other books are there that help you write roast jokes?
Mike
Ross is funny. Get it from the library and rip through it for a few laughs.
Chip
Very funny, better (and more interesting) than expected.
Steven Spector
Great Berle & Hackett anecdotes; otherwise, I'd pass.
Steve Rabideau
Steve Rabideau marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
MR Angiography of the Head and Neck: A Teaching File Pindeldyboz: volume one Even More Old Jewish Comedians College Leadership Crisis: The Philip Dolly Affair Pathology of the Urinary Bladder: A Volume in the Major Problems in Pathology Series