Start by marking “Firefly Beach Firefly Beach” as Want to Read:
Firefly Beach Firefly Beach

Firefly Beach Firefly Beach (Hubbard's Point/Black Hall series #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  3,767 ratings  ·  125 reviews
Under the summer sky, anything is possible....
Author of the acclaimed novels Cloud Nine and Follow the Stars Home, Luanne Rice returns with another movingportrait of a family in crisis-as three sisters come face-to-face with the past and find in each other the courage to go on.
Coolly sophisticated and steadfastly single, Caroline Renwick hasalways been the sister everyon
Published June 27th 2006 by Bantam (first published May 29th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Firefly Beach Firefly Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firefly Beach Firefly Beach

Dorothy
What a great story about sisters who actually love each other and take care of each other.
It is hard to believe that in real life they would all be still living in the same town where
they grew up and one even living with their mother. A beautiful story. I loved reading.
With a couple of "bad" men thrown in just like real life.
Fizzy
'Firefly Beach' is not my first Luanne Rice novel and I seriously doubt it will be my last. Truth is I know it won't as there are more sitting on my bookshelf right now waiting for me to choose one. I really enjoyed the story, liked the characters and at times wanted to beat their heads, or mine, into a wall. Set in New England three sisters live their adult lives in the shadows of the past. Being the children of a famous artist just adds flavor. Three separate women living three separate lives ...more
Goddess Of Blah
this book is not perfect, however, the mature, intense, powerful, story superseded all the criticism i could bestow. The author is sensitive to her characters feelings. None are portrayed as perfect or evil. All have their weaknesses and strengths exposed.

Its a completely absorbing book, very tragic but also blooming with hope. A beautiful family tale combined with intense, sparkling romance so full of chemistry that you'll be completely engrossed. I read it within 2 days. Loved it.
Joy
I am a long time fan of this author, I have read about 9 or 10 of her other works, and she brings me into her characters world quickly and fully. I find myself totally emersed in their feelings, and story, their pain, and anger, and their happiness too. Her character descriptions are full and leave you with no questions as to who these people are, making the reading experience very enjoyable.

I anticipate enjoying more of Luanne Rice's works in the future.
Jess
This was recommended to me and once I started reading I couldn't put it down. I loved the story and the characters, and I was rooting for them all by the end.
Sharon
This was a very interesting character driven book.

When Caroline was 5, she was present when her father's lover's husband came to Firefly Hill and threatened her mother and her family. He was despondent and out for revenge. He did not harm the family, in fact he did irreversible harm to himself as he committed suicide in front of the 2 children and their pregnant mom. You would think this would be enough to throw the husband bum out, wouldn't you? Not to be, Caroline's mother was obsessively in
Julie Barrett
Firefly Beach by Luanne Rice
Have read the other works by the author and love them all. This will be a good read also.
Starts out with the three sisters, coming home to Firefly Beach.
Decades ago his father was killed and the girls witnessed it as young girls. The man stated his wife was off with their father and didn't love him anymore and he wanted to take what their father loved-one of the girls. Caroline wrote to Joe, the son about things around town. She had once mentioned the wreck off the co
Joeann Fossland
This is the second book by Luann Rice I have read and I enjoyed it greatly. I'm a sucker for love stories and enjoyed the way this one evolved. All families have some dysfunctions and this story brought many common issues into the story line.
Linda
Waste of time...
Kris
4 STARS

"Coolly sophisticated and steadfastly single, Caroline Renwick has always been the sister everyone could count on. As she and Clea and Skye gathered at Firefly Hill, their childhood home, Caroline thought that they had all put the past behind them. But as summer gets under way, a mysterious man arrives—a man who has the power to bring it all back....

Joe Connor was only six when his father died at Firefly Hill. Though he and Caroline had never met, the five-year-old girl reached out to him
Lisa
Again I am trying to solve the mystery (to me) of why some books with painful subjects are palatable and even enjoyable while others rot in hopelessness. I have to say, the first half of this book almost, almost fit into the second category. But there was that mysterious element, small but there, that whispered book redemption. Which in the second half came through, making it a worthwhile read.

Love and caring in flawed characters is a necessary ingredient (for me) to "relate" to a book (and thi
Chris
A story of family, a family that struggles with the past, present and future… but a family that loves…

Hugh and Augusta…. He a famous artist, she the understanding, supportive wife… with 3 daughters… Hugh regularly unfaithful (afterall he is an artist) and Augusta ignores it, she loves him so… and when she is pregnant with Skye, and Caroline is 5 & Clea is 3, the husband of his current amor comes to their house with the intention of taking from Hugh as he has taken from him… He holds a gun to
Kathy

LuAnn
This is another good read from this author – one of my favorites. It’s not one of her best books, in my opinion, but it ranks up there above many other authors’ novels you can find on the market.

The book revolves around a suicide that happened when two of three sisters were little girls (the third sister wasn’t born yet). Now they are all grown up and about to come face to face with the son of the man who killed himself in front of them. Their mother is also one of the main characters and she wa
Jeanne
This is a family in crisis. Three sisters, so close to each other, but with a mother who has never been motherly. Caroline is 34 and unmarried, and travels rather then face reality. Clea has married a preacher and seems the most well adjusted. Skye is an alcoholic with an abusive husband. Their mother denies the truth about the past. Therefore, actually not helping her daughters adjust to life and not feel guilty about past happenings. The second part of the books was a lot more interesting. I ...more
Susan Malone
Powerful story of redemption. 3 sisters and their mother all dealing with past issues from a long ago violence and the way they begin dealing with their pasts to be able to move on to brighter futures. Sweet story that unfolds between Caroline and Joe and somehow knowing that she, Skye, and Clea along with their mother Augusta had found the missing piece in their lives.
Jodi Walter
This was my first Luanne Rice book and I went in with no expectations. The plot elements were perfect for me - artists, alcoholism, sisters, the sea. Just right for the moment.
Denise Jo
An easy read especially once I started to read it I realized I had read it already. It sounded familiar.
Robin LMD
Summer fluff. The story was overly predictable at ever turn.
Cindy Hudson
I really enjoyed this book. I really wish I knew how Caroline and Joe's relationship was going and if Skye was able to quit drinking. I will definitely read more from Luanne Rice.
Christi
I really love the way Luanne Rice develops her characters. They are not perfect, but so real. The book starts so sad with a suicide witnessed by two little girls. It starts a life long journey of the two families, and how they each deal with the tragedy. Include the normal crazy, difficult, and always loving relationship of three sisters, some alcoholism, and two brothers trying to connect and how can it be bad? Another day in a typical dysfunctional American family.

I just get swept up in her s
Judy
Pretty good kept my interest.
Lori
Quick and easy read I picked up from our building's basement laundry room bookshelf. For one of these types of books (heartfelt, family saga, a little romance thrown in), it was pretty good writing and somehow the last few chapters were a real boo-hoo festival. Sigh. I'm a sucker for guilt over dead relatives, I guess. I've not been in the mood for anything too challenging this year -- and this book fit that bill -- but I don't feel my time was wasted because who doesn't benefit from a little te ...more
Mary Taitt
This story was excellent and emotionally engaging--I really enjoyed it. It centers around the relationships of a woman and her sisters, mother, and a boy she met through strange sad circumstances as well as how the past comes back to haunt and maybe free them. The editing and grammar were particularly poor, though. I don't want to say too much about the plot because I hate spoilers, but the story is good. I would give it a four or 4.5 for plot and a 2 for editing.
Jeanne
Luanne Rice books are always well-written and usually dark, and this is no exception. Artist's dysfunctional family struggles with a past filled with violence in the form of suicide and a hunting accident. The three sisters were forced to learn survival skills and to hunt after being held hostage in their own home by the wronged husband of their father's mistress. Alcoholism, domestic violence and attempted rape abound. A good read, though not an easy one.
Marilyn
Awful. Totally predictable. The ending was excruciatingly long and drawn out. The characters were hackneyed and stereotypical. An anti-alcohol diatribe. Even the poor dog was a weak character. Maybe I'd feel differently about this book if I'd have sisters, but this was just awful. My book club meets in two days to talk about this, and I'll be afraid to open my mouth, fearing someone actually liked it. Yuck.
Susan
Caroline and Joe are connected by a tragic death that changed both of their lives forever when they were five years and six years old. Caroline and her two sisters, Clea and Skye, and mother, Augusta, live on Long Island Sound in Connecticut. Caroline is now in her thirties when a treasure hunter appears in her inn. He is the long lost Joe. Their romance progresses along with his sunken treasure hunt.
Holli
Really great book by Luanne Rice......REALLY great. I love her books but some can be just an ok read. This wasn't just ok...it was something I couldn't put down unless I had to do it. I enjoyed this book immensely. Good plot....perfect characters.....good family drama all the way around.....this is a good one if you just want a romance you can sink your teeth into and savor.
Christine
Not my style, but I liked it a lot more than I expected to.
This was a terrible book. I listened to it on CD, and why I listened for as long as I did I am not sure. I was unable to even finish it. The book was annoyingly descriptive. "Her heart ached with love," etc. And the same phrases were used over and over again. There was very little depth to the plot of the story. It wasn't even a good "shallow" book. Not recommended.
  • Summer by the Sea
  • Happiness Key (Happiness Key Series, #1)
  • Flirting With Pete
  • Flight Lessons
  • A Little Light Magic
  • The Beach House
  • This Matter of Marriage
  • Taste of Honey
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-one novels including THE LEMON ORCHARD. Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She divides her time between New York City and the Connecticut shoreline.
More about Luanne Rice...

Hubbard's Point/Black Hall series (6 books)
  • Safe Harbor
  • True Blue
  • The Perfect Summer
  • Beach Girls
  • Last Kiss
Beach Girls Follow the Stars Home The Geometry of Sisters (Newport, Rhode Island, #1) Cloud Nine Summer's Child

“Clear nights are sometimes the coldest.” 12 likes
“Sometimes it's more generous to take than give,
he said.

"How?" Caroline asked.

"To let the other person give you what he has to offer. If you're always the one giving, you never have to feel disappointed, because you don't expect anything in return. But it's miserly in its own way. Because you never leave yourself open or give the other person a chance.”
12 likes