Start by marking “Firefly Beach” as Want to Read:
Firefly Beach

Firefly Beach (Hubbard's Point/Black Hall #1)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  4,749 Ratings  ·  153 Reviews
Under the summer sky, anything is possible....
Author of the acclaimed novels Cloud Nine and Follow the Stars Home, Luanne Rice returns with another moving portrait of a family in crisis--as three sisters come face-to-face with the past and find in each other the courage to go on.
Published June 27th 2006 by Bantam (first published May 29th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Firefly Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firefly Beach

Dorothy
Mar 27, 2011 Dorothy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great story about sisters who actually love each other and take care of each other.
It is hard to believe that in real life they would all be still living in the same town where
they grew up and one even living with their mother. A beautiful story. I loved reading.
With a couple of "bad" men thrown in just like real life.
Fizzy
Jan 08, 2017 Fizzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Firefly Beach' is not my first Luanne Rice novel and I seriously doubt it will be my last. Truth is I know it won't as there are more sitting on my bookshelf right now waiting for me to choose one. I really enjoyed the story, liked the characters and at times wanted to beat their heads, or mine, into a wall. Set in New England three sisters live their adult lives in the shadows of the past. Being the children of a famous artist just adds flavor. Three separate women living three separate lives ...more
Goddess Of Blah
Jul 10, 2011 Goddess Of Blah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is not perfect, however, the mature, intense, powerful, story superseded all the criticism i could bestow. The author is sensitive to her characters feelings. None are portrayed as perfect or evil. All have their weaknesses and strengths exposed.

Its a completely absorbing book, very tragic but also blooming with hope. A beautiful family tale combined with intense, sparkling romance so full of chemistry that you'll be completely engrossed. I read it within 2 days. Loved it.
Joyful
Jun 02, 2010 Joyful rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a long time fan of this author, I have read about 9 or 10 of her other works, and she brings me into her characters world quickly and fully. I find myself totally emersed in their feelings, and story, their pain, and anger, and their happiness too. Her character descriptions are full and leave you with no questions as to who these people are, making the reading experience very enjoyable.

I anticipate enjoying more of Luanne Rice's works in the future.
Jess
Jan 10, 2015 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was recommended to me and once I started reading I couldn't put it down. I loved the story and the characters, and I was rooting for them all by the end.
Kathryn
Firefly Beach by Luanne Rice is the first in her Hubbard's Point/Black Hall series. I became interested in this series when I read Beach Girls by this author earlier in the year.

This book is about the complicated relationships of parents, children, brothers and sisters and lovers. It is also about the simple and undying love of a dog for its owners. Caroline, Clea and Sky are the daughters of Augusta and Hugh Renwick. He is a complicated, talented artist - a man who was unable to be faithful, m
Sharon
Sep 11, 2014 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
This was a very interesting character driven book.

When Caroline was 5, she was present when her father's lover's husband came to Firefly Hill and threatened her mother and her family. He was despondent and out for revenge. He did not harm the family, in fact he did irreversible harm to himself as he committed suicide in front of the 2 children and their pregnant mom. You would think this would be enough to throw the husband bum out, wouldn't you? Not to be, Caroline's mother was obsessively in
Connie
Jul 14, 2015 Connie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the most boring books I have ever read. I didn't care for any of the characters. The only reason I suffered through the entire book was because I really wanted to try this author and my husband got it for me as a gift. Otherwise I would have put it down about a quarter of the way in. I kept hoping that in the end I would find I'd grown to love it but no, I couldn't care less about anyone in this book. The story was just ridiculous and boring.
Joeann Fossland
Oct 10, 2014 Joeann Fossland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book by Luann Rice I have read and I enjoyed it greatly. I'm a sucker for love stories and enjoyed the way this one evolved. All families have some dysfunctions and this story brought many common issues into the story line.
Linda
Aug 23, 2014 Linda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Waste of time...
Brenda Benoit
There was a lot of tragedy in this book but also a lot of love and hope. The characters were likable even with all of their issues - and I think Clea was the only one who didn't have issues. I loved how the author incorporated Homer into the story and enjoyed reading his little parts in the book. It was a good book and I look forward to the rest of the series.
Lyndsey
Oct 13, 2016 Lyndsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookpile
This was not what I was expecting. It's the first novel I've read by Luanne Rice. The characters (3 sisters and their mother and an outsider, Joe) are haunted by a dark family history full of infidelity, dysfunctional family, murder, suicide, domestic abuse and alcoholism. But their love sees them through and brings them together as a family in the end. It's not an easy book to read but I think overall, it's worth it;)
Lisa
Jun 25, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again I am trying to solve the mystery (to me) of why some books with painful subjects are palatable and even enjoyable while others rot in hopelessness. I have to say, the first half of this book almost, almost fit into the second category. But there was that mysterious element, small but there, that whispered book redemption. Which in the second half came through, making it a worthwhile read.

Love and caring in flawed characters is a necessary ingredient (for me) to "relate" to a book (and thi
Kathy
A story of family, a family that struggles with the past, present and future… but a family that loves…

Hugh and Augusta…. He a famous artist, she the understanding, supportive wife… with 3 daughters… Hugh regularly unfaithful (afterall he is an artist) and Augusta ignores it, she loves him so… and when she is pregnant with Skye, and Caroline is 5 & Clea is 3, the husband of his current amor comes to their house with the intention of taking from Hugh as he has taken from him… He holds a gun to
Chris
Mar 23, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: luanne-rice

Julie Barrett
May 20, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Firefly Beach by Luanne Rice
Have read the other works by the author and love them all. This will be a good read also.
Starts out with the three sisters, coming home to Firefly Beach.
Decades ago his father was killed and the girls witnessed it as young girls. The man stated his wife was off with their father and didn't love him anymore and he wanted to take what their father loved-one of the girls. Caroline wrote to Joe, the son about things around town. She had once mentioned the wreck off the co
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"Coolly sophisticated and steadfastly single, Caroline Renwick has always been the sister everyone could count on. As she and Clea and Skye gathered at Firefly Hill, their childhood home, Caroline thought that they had all put the past behind them. But as summer gets under way, a mysterious man arrives—a man who has the power to bring it all back....

Joe Connor was only six when his father died at Firefly Hill. Though he and Caroline had never met, the five-year-old girl reached out to him
Joy
Parts of this book are impossibly gruesome. The excessively extreme violence and familial dysfunction experienced by many of the characters explains why seemingly every character has major personality disorders without any real plan to address these issues. It seems much easier to sweep it all under the rug but "easy" is rarely the best way and, in fact, just adds more layers of dysfunction.

If I were the primary care physician, each one would be required to get counseling and attend AA meetings
LuAnn
Aug 03, 2011 LuAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another good read from this author – one of my favorites. It’s not one of her best books, in my opinion, but it ranks up there above many other authors’ novels you can find on the market.

The book revolves around a suicide that happened when two of three sisters were little girls (the third sister wasn’t born yet). Now they are all grown up and about to come face to face with the son of the man who killed himself in front of them. Their mother is also one of the main characters and she wa
Kathy
Aug 22, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Families are interesting...no matter how many children in a family, they all see things slightly differently; hence happenings in the family affect them differently. One daughter is the protector, one is the easy going one, the other is the one in need of protecting. But they all have been changed by the circumstances of life. This book is a study of relationships,between parents and children, between connecting families and between men and women. It has some romance and, though not a mystery, i ...more
Christi
Sep 21, 2012 Christi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love the way Luanne Rice develops her characters. They are not perfect, but so real. The book starts so sad with a suicide witnessed by two little girls. It starts a life long journey of the two families, and how they each deal with the tragedy. Include the normal crazy, difficult, and always loving relationship of three sisters, some alcoholism, and two brothers trying to connect and how can it be bad? Another day in a typical dysfunctional American family.

I just get swept up in her s
Jeanne
This is a family in crisis. Three sisters, so close to each other, but with a mother who has never been motherly. Caroline is 34 and unmarried, and travels rather then face reality. Clea has married a preacher and seems the most well adjusted. Skye is an alcoholic with an abusive husband. Their mother denies the truth about the past. Therefore, actually not helping her daughters adjust to life and not feel guilty about past happenings. The second part of the books was a lot more interesting. I ...more
Lori
Quick and easy read I picked up from our building's basement laundry room bookshelf. For one of these types of books (heartfelt, family saga, a little romance thrown in), it was pretty good writing and somehow the last few chapters were a real boo-hoo festival. Sigh. I'm a sucker for guilt over dead relatives, I guess. I've not been in the mood for anything too challenging this year -- and this book fit that bill -- but I don't feel my time was wasted because who doesn't benefit from a little te ...more
Mary Taitt
This story was excellent and emotionally engaging--I really enjoyed it. It centers around the relationships of a woman and her sisters, mother, and a boy she met through strange sad circumstances as well as how the past comes back to haunt and maybe free them. The editing and grammar were particularly poor, though. I don't want to say too much about the plot because I hate spoilers, but the story is good. I would give it a four or 4.5 for plot and a 2 for editing.
Claudia Cheyne
Aug 15, 2015 Claudia Cheyne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Luanne Rice created an interesting plot in which the characters were bound by tragedies that affected their families. Caroline Renwick and Joe Conner are in their mid-thirties when they meet in person, even though they had written letters to each other for ten years. The correspondence stopped when an uncle told Joe the truth about his father's death. Secrets kept and buried like the treasures Joe hunts for, made a great story that I could not put down.
Judith
Aug 11, 2015 Judith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When they were children, Joe's father committed suicide in Carolyn's house. Reason's for the man's suicide are hidden from two innocent children. But now, after years apart, Joe has returned and the truth could heal both families or destroy any friendship they may have had. The story is a wonderful insight to the complexities of families, of neighbors, of healing or destruction of the lives left in the wake.
Jeanne
Jul 24, 2009 Jeanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
Luanne Rice books are always well-written and usually dark, and this is no exception. Artist's dysfunctional family struggles with a past filled with violence in the form of suicide and a hunting accident. The three sisters were forced to learn survival skills and to hunt after being held hostage in their own home by the wronged husband of their father's mistress. Alcoholism, domestic violence and attempted rape abound. A good read, though not an easy one.
Susan
Feb 24, 2009 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
Caroline and Joe are connected by a tragic death that changed both of their lives forever when they were five years and six years old. Caroline and her two sisters, Clea and Skye, and mother, Augusta, live on Long Island Sound in Connecticut. Caroline is now in her thirties when a treasure hunter appears in her inn. He is the long lost Joe. Their romance progresses along with his sunken treasure hunt.
Marilyn
Apr 08, 2013 Marilyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful. Totally predictable. The ending was excruciatingly long and drawn out. The characters were hackneyed and stereotypical. An anti-alcohol diatribe. Even the poor dog was a weak character. Maybe I'd feel differently about this book if I'd have sisters, but this was just awful. My book club meets in two days to talk about this, and I'll be afraid to open my mouth, fearing someone actually liked it. Yuck.
Dec 07, 2011 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a terrible book. I listened to it on CD, and why I listened for as long as I did I am not sure. I was unable to even finish it. The book was annoyingly descriptive. "Her heart ached with love," etc. And the same phrases were used over and over again. There was very little depth to the plot of the story. It wasn't even a good "shallow" book. Not recommended.
  • The Passions of Chelsea Kane
  • Flight Lessons
  • Summer by the Sea
  • Happiness Key (Happiness Key Series, #1)
  • A Little Light Magic
  • Beach Trip
  • Taste of Honey (Carson Springs, #2)
  • Seaview Inn
  • Moon Shell Beach
  • Angels Everywhere
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-two novels including THE SECRET LANGUAGE OF SISTERS, her first YA novel. Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She divides her time between New York City and the Connecticut shoreline.
More about Luanne Rice...

Hubbard's Point/Black Hall (6 books)
  • Safe Harbor
  • True Blue
  • The Perfect Summer
  • Beach Girls
  • Last Kiss

“Sometimes it's more generous to take than give,
he said.

"How?" Caroline asked.

"To let the other person give you what he has to offer. If you're always the one giving, you never have to feel disappointed, because you don't expect anything in return. But it's miserly in its own way. Because you never leave yourself open or give the other person a chance.”
14 likes