Start by marking “Long Ride Home” as Want to Read:
Long Ride Home

Long Ride Home

There is a reason Long Ride Home has remained in print for twenty years. The novel is a classic. The gunman has become a romanticized American icon, but Gear dares to take us inside his gunfighter's troubled soul: that of a man teetering between destruction and salvation.

Theo Belk is the quintessential gunfighter: rootless, ruthless, and deadly. In the fierce and lawless W
Published October 28th 2008 by Forge Books (first published November 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Long Ride Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Ride Home

Annie
Jul 28, 2012 Annie rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Review: long ride home:

haunted by the memories of his parent’s death young Theo has become a gun slinger a gun man of the west, he is a loner, and distant man. He is hunting all his life for the man who destroyed his family, taken in by Mormons taught to read and write, learned how to hunt from the old trappers and woodsmen of the west, he knows Indian ideals, traits, and survival tactics. He finds himself always in search of his man. He was always just a week behind his quarry. Then just as s
Lori
Nov 20, 2013 Lori rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Coralie
Westerns aren't usually my type of book. This was a typical western in many ways. Had the horses,gunfights, saloons, prostitutes, Indians, virtuous women, etc. The author was very good at character development. Although the main character was a "bad guy", the author portrayed him with many layers. Even though he did bad things, the reader could still hope that things would turn around. This book was quite violent. If you like Westerns, you would probably love this book.
RJay
Nov 18, 2011 RJay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book I was haunted by it for several weeks. It was given to me by a friend so I didn't know what to expect when I started reading it. For me, it portrays the violence of the West in a way that stayed with me. I think the fortitude of the people who suffered this violence, from the weather and other peoples, resonates with decendents of those long-suffering pioneers. Not for the faint of heart.
Ashley Filippo
Jan 31, 2014 Ashley Filippo rated it really liked it
I really did enjoy this book a lot. I can see why some people are upset and giving such a negative review about the book because Gear built up this strong main character and the ending was not really expected or anticipated. Overall, I didn't find this book dull or boring, it kept me interested and I really couldn't put it down.
CindySlowReader
Sep 02, 2013 CindySlowReader rated it did not like it
Data
Gear tells a story that is fairly engrossing; it focuses on the inner processes that drive a man to live on the very edge of humanity. The human struggle to match actions with good and evil is a constant theme in this book.
Julie
Apr 29, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
Not your typical western. Shows the story of a gunman and what happens in his head to make him kill.

Very enjoyable but don't look for a Zane Grey or Louis L'Amour style Western. Lots of violence in this one and some graphic texts. Not for children.
Sean Dockery
Apr 08, 2012 Sean Dockery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent characterization of the psyche of a person wounded by trauma.
Brian Durfee
Jul 20, 2013 Brian Durfee rated it liked it
I love LOVE Gear's Sci Fi books. This western not so much.
Mike O'neill
Finished this book years ago - guess I better update my Googreads, huh? My bad!
Mellanie C
Jun 20, 2016 Mellanie C marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Keith
Aug 01, 2010 Keith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good beach reading
Maggie
Maggie rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Lisa Brown
Lisa Brown rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Dave Woolson
Dave Woolson rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2012
PK
PK rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2015
Glen Elliott
Glen Elliott rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Casey
Casey rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Mags
Mags rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2012
Jeff Surfus
Jeff Surfus rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2013
Gordief
Gordief rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2013
Pat Haddock
Pat Haddock rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Erin Griffin
Erin Griffin rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
W. Michael Gear was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado, on the twentieth of May, 1955. A fourth generation Colorado native, his family had been involved in hard-rock mining, cattle ranching, and journalism. After his father's death in 1959, Michael's mother received her Master's degree in journalism and began teaching. In 1962 she married Joseph J. Cook, who taught tool and die making, and the fam ...more
More about W. Michael Gear...