Mom, Jason's Breathing on Me!: The Solution to Sibling Bickering

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  19 reviews
"
"AT LAST-SOUND, PRACTICAL RELIEF
FOR PARENTS WITH BATTLING KIDS
Imagine. You might never again have to hear the words: "Mommy, Ann drooled on me on purpose." You could have the answer for every "It's not fair " your kids have ever whined at you. Constant sibling squabbling-and the ensuing demand that you pick a side, "quick"-can wear parents down and totally drain the fun...more
Published December 10th 2008 by Ballantine Books (first published August 26th 2003)

Amie
This book is seriously one of the best parenting books I've read so far. The advice makes sense, it works, and most importantly, he lays it out in the first chapter so you can start trying it out. I cannot stand these parenting books that have hundreds of pages of theory to get through before "the good part" aka what will actually help. We turn to these books in times of need, we need quick help!

Anyway, I also love that Wolf assumes you're doing a good job already. The tone of the book is very r...more
Samantha Penrose
Feb 10, 2012 Samantha Penrose rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of more than one child
Shelves: parenting
This book had some really great advice!
The key point in this book is to remain neutral as often as humanly possible when it comes to bickering amongst your children. We all know this, but it can be very difficult not to get into the middle of such things; especially when the kids are trying to drag you in to it. This book offers excellent advice on how to ignore, when to intervene, and the good that will come of this practice.
Like most parenting books, it gets a little repetitive. The book coul...more
Cori
ok, here's the scoop. This book was SO helpful, (no, that is NOT a sarcastic statement, though you would think so given the rating) the author gives three steps for minimizing sibling bickering (cause eliminating would be just tooooo good to be true right?) and the great thing is - it totally works. It's simple and straight forward and EASY. Sooooooooo why the 1 star when the book is so good? This author has a complete and total unnecessary potty mouth. No, you don't understand. In his example f...more
PhilorChelsy
1- Don't Take Sides
Separation-take them apart until they are calm. fair doesn't matter now, just do it fast.
IF there is threat of Harm- Immediately interviene and talk to offender: We DO NOT. That Harms we NEVER harm. (physical or emotional)
2- Act FAST (or Not at All) the second is starts to bother YOU (interupt you, distract you, etc)
The benefits of Bickering
3- Don't Listen in the heat of the moment (Would you like a hug? That must be frustrating. That sounds like a problem. I don't know what t...more
Julie
I've been thinking lately that maybe now that I've been a mother for 8 years I should try actually reading some parenting books. This topic has been a huge irritation to me lately, so the title drew my attention right away. I was afraid it would be boring to sit and read this book, but it was really funny and easy to read and I could tell this guy had spent a lot of time around parents and kids. I don't expect any miracles, but I do think his suggestions were very helpful and it is always good t...more
Kristin
Below is my review from the first time I read this ... and yes, reading it again - apparently I needed a fresher!

First off, I would give this a 5 star rating if it weren't for all the foul language Dr Wolf chose to include. I don't see why on earth that was necessary.
But onto my impression of the book ~ it is really glowing!
I loved it. I honestly did not even realize how often I was being sucked into my children's daily bickering.
The author sets up vivid examples and gives detailed methods in
h...more
Darla Sigmon
The method promoted here doesn't really end sibling bickering - it just takes the parent out of the middle of it. For the most part, I do agree with the author in letting kids work out their own disagreements as much as possible and only stepping in when necessary. It's a very different approach to parenting than what other books promote.
Amy
Would've given it 5 stars were it not for the foul language used in the simulated dialogue. I understand that a lot of teenagers and even (yikes!) kids use foul language...but I really think throwing the f word in was unnecessary.

Other than that, I really like the 3 simple rules stated in the beginning of the book. The rest of the book went through every possible scenario/"what if" that I could think of. Every time I'd think of another "what if" it'd show up in the pages of the book with specifi...more
Pam
This book has great ideas. It is a quick and easy read. I was warned by other reviewers that there was bad language in this book. It's just gratuitous. Maybe it is intended to be inclusive to more readers who might be disinclined to read a goody goody parenting book. Or maybe the author is just trying to be cool. But whatever the reason I hope you won't let this stop you from reading the book in its entirety. The reviewer who stopped reading because of the language surely missed out. Other point...more
I much preferred "Siblings Without Rivalry" as a helpful resource for sibling bickering.

This author's approach is much too hands-off, basically taking a stance of not getting involved and letting the kids battle things out on their own. I believe the job of a parent is to teach and guide interpersonal skills, not let the playground/bully mentality decide how interactions should go.

The book is also interspersed with foul language that could easily have been omitted while still getting the point a...more
Carla_Collette
I picked this up in the library (catchy title) in hopes of getting some good ideas. Intriguingly, he has explained why children suddenly need attention when the phone rings or their sibling needs your attention...so I'm hooked. I never could get through this, I'm afraid trashy novels won out, but the basic concepts seem good--although sometimes hard to put into practice (ie most bickering gets to me, so letting them work it out can be problemmatic).
Julia
I am going to reserve passing judgement on this book until I read it, but if it can stop my two urchins from bickering constantly over everything, I will take this man out to dinner.

After reading it...good solid advice: stay out of it unless someone is going to get hurt. The jury is still out whether it'll actually work, so dinner for the author yet.
Kiersten
Interesting perspectives on siblings and bickering. I thought it was interesting to hear that siblings don't affect self-esteem because they don't hold the power to destroy esteem the ways parents or outsiders do. Also other interesting stuff about esteem and skills in the outside world. Loved this.
Erica
I guess the proof is in the pudding...I'll reserve judgment on the effectiveness of the theories until we've put the advice into practice a bit. It all made sense to me though and is totally counter to what we've been doing so I'm hopeful.
Christine Lussier
well, the book is ok, but probably better for those w/ young children. Somehow I don't think that asking my teen & tween if they "want a hug" while ignoring them will work. However, the ignoring & walking away DOES work!
Cooksonmom
Eh. Although some sound advice, which I implemented with success, overall, it was OK. I skipped through and read selected pages.
Autumn
Very helpful. Very practical. Let's see if I can institute it!
Dree
Easy to read with actual applicable examples.
Renee
Very helpful...
Deborah Zoller
Deborah Zoller marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Marisa
Marisa marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Published in the UK as Tony Wolf
More about Anthony E. Wolf...
Get Out of My Life, but First Could You Drive Me & Cheryl to the Mall I'd Listen to My Parents If They'd Just Shut Up: What to Say and Not Say When Parenting Teens The Secret of Parenting: How to Be in Charge of Today's Kids--from Toddlers to Preteens--Without Threats or Punishment It's Not Fair, Jeremy Spencer's Parents Let Him Stay up All Night!: A Guide to the Tougher Parts of Parenting Why Can't You Shut Up?: How We Ruin Relationships--How Not To