Start by marking “The New Black: Mourning, Melancholia, and Depression” as Want to Read:
The New Black: Mourning, Melancholia, and Depression

The New Black: Mourning, Melancholia, and Depression

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Fifty years ago, the terms mourning and melancholia were part of the psychological lexicon. Today, in a world of rapid diagnoses, quick cures, and big pharmaceutical dollars, the catch-all concept of depression has evolved to take their place. In The New Black, Darian Leader argues that this shift is more than semantic; rather, it speaks to our culture’s complicated relati ...more
Published October 27th 2009 by Graywolf Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The New Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Black

Bryant
This is a fascinating and necessary study in which Leader, a psychoanalyst practicing in London, argues for the fundamental importance of psychotherapy in our dealing with personal loss. Leader contends that the medical community has over-medicated the problems of mourning and melancholia, causing a decline in the communicative, voiced aspects of psychotherapy that permit people to engage in a "dialogue of mournings." Psychotherapy permits a verbalization of the unconscious causes of mourning an ...more
Maxy.kai
For some reason it took me ages to get through, I think this was probably both because it was so thought-provoking and also because the arguments weren't always very clearly structured. Still it's quite brilliant.
Natalie
You make Melanie Klein palatable for me, AND you use Sophie Calles 'Exquisite Pain'...oh how I love thee!
Hella
Feb 15, 2015 Hella is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychologie
Alleen al deze paragraaf:
To treat depression on the same model as, say, an infection requiring antibiotics, is always a dangerous decision. The medicine will not cure what has made the person depressed in the first place, and the more that the symptoms are seen as signs of deviance or unadapted behaviour, the more the sufferer will feel the weight of the norm, of what they are supposed to be. They become casualties of today's view of human beings as 'resources', in which a person is just a unit
Oscar
Darian Leader's book examines the process of mourning largely from a Freudian perspective, but also incorporates other ideological slants. Leader also differentiates between mourning as being a state in which one is going through the process of losing a love one with melancholia which is defined as a more persistent state of sadness. While the book does deal with the concept and process of depression, it mostly places the concept of depression within mourning and melancholia as opposed to dealin ...more
Raymond Philippe
Darian Reader is convinced that the existence of death and loss which is around us every day is often denied. In this book Darian Leader writes clearly, intelligently, concisely and thoughtfully about loss and about the process of grieving.

Leader believes pills and cognitive behavioral therapy are used more then is necessary in our society that seems focussed on quick fixes.
Darian suggests we need to redefine depression "as a set of symptoms that derive from complex and always different human st
Hana
A companion book that helps make sense of the loops in ones head. A few things went over my head. I felt the ending was open ended, where I was looking for closure - but one must achieve that oneself, or not.
Charissa
This study offers a different view on depression on mourning. It also shows the downsides of CBT and how in modern psychiatry symptoms are often treated without really acknowledging the underlying problem. Interesting read.
Adrian
Psychoanalyst Leader separates modern depression into two older categories; mourning and melancholia. He despairs of the reliance on drugs to treat mental illness these days and plumps for talk therapy. He has interesting things to say about anger displacement but his willingness to accept that the unconscious will always reveal deeper truth isn't persuasive on the whole. Especially when dream analysis is the center of this therapy. And is melancholia always related to the death of a loved one? ...more
Kerry Murphy
Ten x better than 'What is Madness'
Karin Gottshall
Amazing book by a profound and poetic thinker. Leader's ideas are revelatory and original and his writing is beautiful. I simply cannot understand why he's not better known, except that it seems our culture has abandoned the richness and complexities of psychology in favor of the mechanics of the brain.
Stefaan
Als er een bijbel over 'depressie' bestaat, dan is dit hem. Leader legt naadloos de diepste vezels van rouw en melancholie bloot. Lees dit boek, follow the Leader!
Jude
I thought this book was extraordinary, complex but clear. Helped me think about what was happening in my life in a whole new way. I'd recommend it highly.
Andrew Mochrie
Interesting ideas, a little difficult in places but worth a read if you're into that kind of thing
Gabi Armstrong
Gabi Armstrong marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Cassandra
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Marie H
Marie H marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Joel Call
Joel Call is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2015
Glenn Farrell
Glenn Farrell marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Bertjan
Bertjan is currently reading it
Feb 13, 2015
Sunan Thokchom
Sunan Thokchom marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Kelsey White
Kelsey White marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
  • Sanity, Madness and the Family: Families of Schizophrenics
  • Japan: A Reinterpretation
  • Anime: from Akira to Princess Mononoke, Experiencing Contemporary Japanese Animation
  • Aftermath: Violence and the Remaking of a Self
  • Vibrator
  • A Shining Affliction: A Story of Harm and Healing in Psychotherapy
  • A Damp Squid: The English Language Laid Bare
  • Crazy Like Us: The Globalization of the American Psyche
Darian Leader is a British psychoanalyst and author. He is a founding member of the Centre for Freudian Analysis and Research (CFAR).

Darian Leader is President of the College of Psychoanalysts, a Trustee of the Freud Museum, and Honorary Visiting Professor in Psychoanalysis at Roehampton University.

From Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darian_L...
More about Darian Leader...
Introducing Lacan (Introducing) What Is Madness? Strictly Bipolar Stealing the Mona Lisa: What Art Stops Us from Seeing Why Do Women Write More Letters Than They Post?