Start by marking “The New Black: Mourning, Melancholia, and Depression” as Want to Read:
The New Black: Mourning, Melancholia, and Depression

The New Black: Mourning, Melancholia, and Depression

Fifty years ago, the terms mourning and melancholia were part of the psychological lexicon. Today, in a world of rapid diagnoses, quick cures, and big pharmaceutical dollars, the catch-all concept of depression has evolved to take their place. In The New Black, Darian Leader argues that this shift is more than semantic; rather, it speaks to our culture's complicated relati ...more
Published October 27th 2009 by Graywolf Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The New Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Black

Bryant
Jan 03, 2010 Bryant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating and necessary study in which Leader, a psychoanalyst practicing in London, argues for the fundamental importance of psychotherapy in our dealing with personal loss. Leader contends that the medical community has over-medicated the problems of mourning and melancholia, causing a decline in the communicative, voiced aspects of psychotherapy that permit people to engage in a "dialogue of mournings." Psychotherapy permits a verbalization of the unconscious causes of mourning an ...more
Natalie
Apr 13, 2009 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ma-research
You make Melanie Klein palatable for me, AND you use Sophie Calles 'Exquisite Pain'...oh how I love thee!
Maxy.kai
Jul 29, 2013 Maxy.kai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason it took me ages to get through, I think this was probably both because it was so thought-provoking and also because the arguments weren't always very clearly structured. Still it's quite brilliant.
Oscar
Feb 01, 2013 Oscar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darian Leader's book examines the process of mourning largely from a Freudian perspective, but also incorporates other ideological slants. Leader also differentiates between mourning as being a state in which one is going through the process of losing a love one with melancholia which is defined as a more persistent state of sadness. While the book does deal with the concept and process of depression, it mostly places the concept of depression within mourning and melancholia as opposed to dealin ...more
Hella
Feb 15, 2015 Hella rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychologie
Alleen al deze paragraaf:
To treat depression on the same model as, say, an infection requiring antibiotics, is always a dangerous decision. The medicine will not cure what has made the person depressed in the first place, and the more that the symptoms are seen as signs of deviance or unadapted behaviour, the more the sufferer will feel the weight of the norm, of what they are supposed to be. They become casualties of today's view of human beings as 'resources', in which a person is just a unit
Raymond Philippe
Apr 28, 2011 Raymond Philippe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Darian Reader is convinced that the existence of death and loss which is around us every day is often denied. In this book Darian Leader writes clearly, intelligently, concisely and thoughtfully about loss and about the process of grieving.

Leader believes pills and cognitive behavioral therapy are used more then is necessary in our society that seems focussed on quick fixes.
Darian suggests we need to redefine depression "as a set of symptoms that derive from complex and always different human st
Adrian
Psychoanalyst Leader separates modern depression into two older categories; mourning and melancholia. He despairs of the reliance on drugs to treat mental illness these days and plumps for talk therapy. He has interesting things to say about anger displacement but his willingness to accept that the unconscious will always reveal deeper truth isn't persuasive on the whole. Especially when dream analysis is the center of this therapy. And is melancholia always related to the death of a loved one? ...more
Victorine Van alphen
cultureel antropologische en historisch boek over rouwen en de belangrijke functies en vormen van rouw: een interessant (zelfhulp)boek voor de intellectueel die liever indirect over de pijn van verlies leest, plus een interessante kijk op rouw als fenomeen. werkte voor mij als prima troost boek en intellectuele voeding na overlijden van mijn vader, maar lijkt me ook prima te lezen zonder zo'n verlies, het is immers zo'n veelzeggend onderdeel van onze kijk op het leven, verdriet en verlies.
Nuno Carrilho
Nov 29, 2016 Nuno Carrilho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book that talks about morning, grieving, melancholia and depression, given more relevance to the psychoanalythic way of thinking, which are very insightful in some perspectives, oder to methaphoric, but an add to the mourning and melancholic problems - not really problems, but what are their functions in human intrapsychic life.
Karin Gottshall
Nov 03, 2012 Karin Gottshall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book by a profound and poetic thinker. Leader's ideas are revelatory and original and his writing is beautiful. I simply cannot understand why he's not better known, except that it seems our culture has abandoned the richness and complexities of psychology in favor of the mechanics of the brain.
Hana
A companion book that helps make sense of the loops in ones head. A few things went over my head. I felt the ending was open ended, where I was looking for closure - but one must achieve that oneself, or not.
Charissa
Mar 14, 2014 Charissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This study offers a different view on depression on mourning. It also shows the downsides of CBT and how in modern psychiatry symptoms are often treated without really acknowledging the underlying problem. Interesting read.
Jude
Sep 01, 2012 Jude rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was extraordinary, complex but clear. Helped me think about what was happening in my life in a whole new way. I'd recommend it highly.
Kelly-Marie
Aug 02, 2015 Kelly-Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
truly stunning book, thought provoking a must for anyone dealing with any kind of loss or those helping others through it.
Stefaan
Jun 19, 2013 Stefaan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Als er een bijbel over 'depressie' bestaat, dan is dit hem. Leader legt naadloos de diepste vezels van rouw en melancholie bloot. Lees dit boek, follow the Leader!
Continualknowledge
Continualknowledge rated it did not like it
Aug 08, 2012
Doris Raines
I. Love. This. Book. A. Lot
Debarun
Debarun rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2014
Kay Chai
Kay Chai rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2015
Clifford Robinson
Clifford Robinson rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Eve
Eve rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Masha
Masha rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2013
Bjorn
Bjorn rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2014
Raúl Veladíz
Raúl Veladíz rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2015
Michael Deans
Michael Deans rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Jenn
Jenn rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Julia Meyers
Julia Meyers rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2015
Paulien
Paulien rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2015
Lala
Lala rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2015
Heberquijano
Heberquijano rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
  • Japan: A Reinterpretation
  • Nan Goldin
  • Journey Of The Adopted Self: A Quest For Wholeness
  • The Making and Breaking of Affectional Bonds
  • Sanity, Madness and the Family: Families of Schizophrenics
  • Aftermath: Violence and the Remaking of a Self
  • States of Injury: Power and Freedom in Late Modernity
  • Anime: from Akira to Princess Mononoke, Experiencing Contemporary Japanese Animation
  • Design for Dying
  • Should You Leave?: A Psychiatrist Explores Intimacy and Autonomy--and the Nature of Advice
  • Love in a Time of Loneliness: Three Essays on Drives and Desires
  • Keeping Up With the Germans: A History of Anglo-German Encounters
  • Father of Lies
  • Once Upon a Time: A Short History of Fairy Tale
  • Hypothetical Lizard
  • Microworlds: Writings on Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion: 3-in-1 Edition, Vol. 2
  • The Blood Never Dried: A People's History of the British Empire
Darian Leader is a British psychoanalyst and author. He is a founding member of the Centre for Freudian Analysis and Research (CFAR).

Darian Leader is President of the College of Psychoanalysts, a Trustee of the Freud Museum, and Honorary Visiting Professor in Psychoanalysis at Roehampton University.

From Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darian_L...
More about Darian Leader...