Start by marking “Ghost House” as Want to Read:
Ghost House

Ghost House

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  25 reviews
NOT EVEN AMITYVILLE HORROR PREPARES YOU FOR ...GHOST HOUSE.

A dream house that traps a family in horror.

The beautiful old mansion on Long Island's South Shore seemed the perfect home for the Van Burens and their three young children. What happened to them inside that house is an experience you'll pray couldn't happen to you.

At first the Van Burens believed there had to be s
Published February 1st 1992 by Onyx (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost House

Jeanine
Quite a good ghost story. Anxious to see if there is a sequel!

Update: Apparently I've been living under a big 'ole rock! I was thrilled to see there are a bunch more books which I have ordered today. Woo hoo!
Deborah Blanchard
I could not put this one down. what a great paranormal book! I love ghost stories and mysteries. This was incredibly well written and flowed so well. The characters were marvelous. I loved this book! Can't wait to read more by Clare McNally! Great book!
Chrystal
This was a great book Read it when I was 12 or so I still remember it, had nightmares. I would like to read it again now that I'm older.
Naomi
Absolutely, hands down, one of the best ghost stories out there..alot of "ghost writers" can take lessons from Clare McNally!
Maria D'Isidoro
That's it. I'm done. This was just bad. I forced myself to suffer through nearly a hundred pages of terrible writing in hopes that the story was worth it. Well, it wasn't. Now I'm 2 hours of sleep poorer and itching for that $1.50 I spent on it o come back.
Tammy (Spaz-8)
OMG! I loved this book when I was a kid. Read it over and over.
Nancy
This book is quite literally a jewel in the rough. It is rough because it is poorly edited and some words were cut out, including more than a few endings of sentences and the ever popular mis-spelled words. Also, certain paragraphs, phrases, or segments are badly worded and awkward. There are plot holes large enough to drive a semi-truck through. This book compares itself to "The Amityville Horror", which it is not. I suspect that this book was rushed to publication in the aftermath of the Amity ...more
El
As far as ghost stories go, this wasn't too bad. Nothing really to write home about. There's a house and a ghost, just like the title promises, and there's even a little kid (actually three) just like on this cover, though this particular kid on this particular cover pissed me off every time I picked it up, and I found myself wondering "Where is this kid now?" I could probably Google it, if I cared enough.

I didn't really expect much out of this, so I'm not disappointed necessarily. But still - i
Emily Newby
My mom handed me this, telling me it was a book she loved when she was younger. And now I can see why!
This book kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish! It was impossible to put down!
Kat Evans
This is such a good book!! Read it years ago and still have the copy in my collection! Kept me guessing and wanting more!
michelle shainmark
Pretty good

This is a good if you like mindless ghost stories . It is fairly fast paced and a quick read
Robdemanc
It was a long time ago I read this but I remember being interested in the story. The story is actually unoriginal and kind of cliche but who can resist a good ghost tale. I liked the idea of the 17th century admiral (I think he was an admiral) being the ghost.

I read the follow up called Ghost House Revenge which I don't think was as good.
Helen Collins
It is good. Not that scary.
Merredith
I was visiting my parents, and found this in a pile lying there. i'd already been worried i didnt bring enough books with me on my trip, so i picked this one up. It used to be mine, donated by someone who took pity on my always book starving situation. i didn't remember much, and re read it in basically a day. good, quick read. Typical haunted house story..people move in, something about the house is bad, etc etc. there is a sequel which I have not read, but may get around to at some point. my p ...more
Genny Clary tice
Have not read this book in years. It was good then and it was good the second time around.
Mell
I owned this as a teen, and re-read it many times due to the suspense and scary events. I need to create a shelf called "kinda inappropriate books I read at a young age."

I remember three kids living in the house, and related to their age. This novel had lots of murder and violence. I think the adults around me just assumed that reading almost any book was good, and better than watching TV . . . But I seemed to turn out just fine, so no harm, in the end.
Debbie Heaton
In McNally’s horror novel, the beautiful mansion seemed the perfect home for the Van Burens and their young family. At first the Van Burens believed there had to be logical explanations for the things that were happening. Before all was said and done, they were fighting for the lives of their children against an evil determined to destroy them all.

Scary at times and a worthwhile read.

Brit
I read this book when I was in Middle School in the late 1970's. Ghost stories were very popular at that time. And I was the right age for this theme. Other than S.E. Hinton, I don't remember there being a lot of good YA fiction available back then. I had read this as a follow-up after reading the then newly released Amityville Horror. Ghost House was a good spooky read as I recall.
Biz
Sep 27, 2007 Biz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Horror fans
Shelves: horror
I love a good haunted House story. This was a good one. Plus a ghost that was attracted to the wife, and a really cool backstory of the haunting and why he was attracted to the lady of the house.

This is permanantly on my keeper shelf and one I take out a re-read from time to time.

Probably lurking in used book stores is the only place to find this.
Lily
As far as consuming other people's Christmas presents and waiting out a cold goes, decent.
Georgina Merry
One of the best ghost stories I've ever read. My other favourite ghost tales are by the same author. A compelling page turner.
Kjirsten
An angry ghost haunts a family with a woman who he thinks is his long dead love.
April Miska
I loved this. Just cause
Barb
Chilling and fast-paced read.
Sarah Wah
deff scary !
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Iram
Iram marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
  • The Crying Child
  • Murder at Witches' Bluff: A Novel of Suspense and Magick
  • When the Wind Blows
  • Nevermore -  Novel of Love, Loss, & Edgar Allan Poe
  • Haunted: The Incredible True Story of a Canadian Family's Experience Living in a Haunted House
Ghost House Revenge Somebody Come And Play Hear the Children Calling Ghost Light Cries Of The Children

“Her arms groped forward to guide her when her tears blocked her vision in darkness. Then she couldn't run any more. She sank to her knees and began to cry in her terror. She wanted Gary.
She suddenly felt strong arms around her. She bent her head to bury it in Gary's shoulder, trembling in the darkness.
Whimpering like a small animal in a trap, she pushed herself closer to him and said in a choked voice, "I'm so frightened!"
"I know, my love," the voice said. "I'm so sorry you were hurt."
She felt herself being pulled up to him, his grip around her tight. It was a strange feeling in this pitch-black hallway, where not even the light of the moon cast any illumination. The lips she touched were cold and yet they responded to her with an unusual warmth. His hands massaged her back. Something, Melanie thought, was wrong with that. The hands were too smooth, not like a plastered wrist would feel.
"Gary?" she asked, backing away. She didn't trust what she couldn't see.
"My love," the voice whispered, "there is no need to fear now. I shall protect you from those who mean you harm.”
9 likes