Start by marking “Little Wizard Stories of Oz” as Want to Read:
Little Wizard Stories of Oz

Little Wizard Stories of Oz (Oz #7.5)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  613 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews

What could be better than a story about the unforgettable characters from the land of Oz? Six stories, of course! Featuring everyone's favorite friends--Dorothy, Toto, the Wizard, the Cowardly Lion, the Scarecrow, and the Tin Woodman--these little tales contain the same Baum magic, with a few special surprises not revealed in the other Oz books. Also included are adventure

Published April 28th 1994 by Books of Wonder (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about Little Wizard Stories of Oz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Wizard Stories of Oz

Muzzlehatch
Sep 22, 2009 Muzzlehatch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids and kids at heart
Shelves: fantasy, juvenile
A charming little volume containing several very short Oz stories involving many of the major characters that had featured in the first 7 or so books in the series proper. Clearly aimed at an even younger audience than the regular books, most adults will probably find these a little too silly -- though some of the wordplay that both Baum and his successors are known for is in evidence (the Imps -- Udent, Olite and Ertinent, for example). John R. Neill's illustrations are among his best and are t ...more
Rob
All of Baum's Oz books have some material no longer considered appropriate for children, but this one is unusually disturbing. Also, why does the Wizard have antennae in all the pictures?
Stephen
Nov 24, 2014 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fine collection of short Oz stories that I devoured with the daughter two at a time before bedtime.
Kelsey Marie
Out of all of the books of Oz that I have read, this one has been my least favorite. The little stories in it didn't serve a purpose, there weren't any of Baum's usual puns, there was no wit behind any of it. It was very disappointing.
rastronomicals
Filthy and obscene.

Ha, you knew I was just kidding.

No, actually, Baum was always adamant in saying that he wrote for all ages. But Little Wizard (and maybe Magical Monarch) are oddballs in the canon in that they were specially written for children. These are as a result I think fairly unvivid snippets, with no puns, no real conflict, no new places, no new characters. The best of these six short tales was probably the one about Dorothy and the evil giant she thought she found, but its Very Speci
Kim
Feb 15, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a Wizard of Oz fan and always love return visits to Oz. This is a collection of small stories with all the familiar characters.
Dexter
Jan 27, 2015 Dexter rated it really liked it
A reread from my childhood, since I'm in the midst of the Popsugar 2015 Reading Challenge (Google it, it's fascinating). I loved this book as a child, but reading it now as an adult, it's too juvenile for me. Also, these stories were just "samples" of the Oz mythos and not as good as the Oz books by Baum. Reading this book from my childhood for the 2015 Challenge was a wonderful revisit, and did evoke stirring memories of childhood, but I've moved on to more complex and adult-level reading.

This
Sherri
Jul 13, 2015 Sherri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This will definitely be on the bookshelf of books to read to my children.
D M
Sep 02, 2012 D M rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
3 years after the intended end to the Oz books (Baum wanted to write other fantastical tales-FAIL!), he releases a series of short stories that were used to appeal to a "younger?" audience and reignite interest in the series. these stories were released prior to 'the patchwork girl of oz' (1913), and collected into volume in 1914.

could you read them before or after 'the patchwork girl?' (yes) or at the end of the entire Baum-end of the series, as i've seen some reviewers comment about? (sure) i
Mitchell
A bunch of simple short stories of Oz. Very heavy on the deus ex machina and not very substantial. But pleasant. The art doesn't quite match up with the stories but it still adds to the whole. It's interesting to remember that in the series of Oz, the Wizard becomes a Wizard after all. While in popular media where he is known primarily from the movie, he is just a fraud. In any case these stories are a bit too simple for me, but would read aloud just fine.
Joyce
Some short stories by Baum. I really liked it. Some more then others, but overall they were good. I love how they all have a little moral. It definitely makes the book more interesting. I thought it was funny and very entertaining. I loved the adventures that takes place in Oz. It is such a creative world, that it peaks my imagination.
Jim
Aug 03, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
beautiful edition published by dover. full color, okay intro by martin gardner that would have worked better as an afterward, type is light blue, many of the illos come at the wrong point of the story. really good intro to characters popular in the later books.
Maria Eleynita
This was a quick, fun and light read! A collection of short stories about Oz, the Lion and the Tiger, the Imps, Ozma, Tinman and the Scarecrow. I love the stories and I enjoyed each one of them. I like the story of the Lion and the Tiger, so cute!!
Holli
Blah. And why didn't Ozma use her magic belt on the Imps? Why did she leave getting them out of problems to the Wizard when she saw he was having so much trouble? She is really kind of useless.
Dannis Cole
Mar 10, 2015 Dannis Cole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute Little Stories

I had never read this book. The stories are cute and all end happily. I think these would be great for read aloud or bedtime.
Kinksrock
Jan 19, 2016 Kinksrock rated it really liked it
Cute short stories featuring the Oz characters, aimed at a younger audience than the readers of the series.
Dione Basseri
A collection of short stories set in Oz, most of which I can not recall in the few weeks since reading. The only one I remember is the first, in which the Cowardly Lion and the Hungry Tiger go in search of babies to eat and grown men to kill. Of course, this being Oz, they do no such thing, and gladly go back to a placid life serving Ozma.

Very lackluster, even for the Wizard of Oz. These stories were originally meant to interest new readers in a revitalized series, and they may interest the very
Kat
Aug 06, 2014 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute, fun set of short stories featuring some favorite Oz characters. Definitely work a read for any fan of the other books.
Carolyn
Jan 22, 2016 Carolyn rated it really liked it
I finally found a copy of this...very cute short stories of the classic OZ characters
Debbie Jarrell
Dec 19, 2015 Debbie Jarrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a small book of short stories about the land of Oz.
Dianna
Feb 22, 2010 Dianna rated it it was ok
These stories are nowhere near as charming as the fourteen original Oz books. We start with the Hungry Tiger and the Cowardly Lion debating whether they'd like to eat babies and rip people to shreds. The stories' plots are very simple, but the writing style isn't, and it didn't keep my child's attention very well. I actually think he'd get far more joy from the original books although they're longer.

Do keep in mind, though, that my son is only three. I think that die-hard Oz fans who are familia
Anna
Sep 21, 2013 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute collection of short stories. All were clearly Baum-esque, unlike the "Queer Visitors" collection which did not really hold Baum's voice as a story-teller. Finishing this made me wish there were more Oz stories in the volume or more Oz stories within another book.

Funny how Baum fails to keep consistency in his magic in Oz. In here, Toto can't talk, but in later Oz books, he can.

I think I really liked Dorothy and Toto's story best in this collection, even though Jack Pumpkinhead is my favou
Meg McGregor
Well, as with most books comprised of short stories, there were a couple that I liked and a couple that I didn't.

This book is obviously intended for the younger Oz reader. And I think that is fine.

But it is too watered down. I am really surprised that Baum would "dumb down" any type of story for his readers.

The story I really liked was The Cowardly Lion and the Hungry Tiger. I always suspected both these two of just being old softies and I was right all along.
Neil
Dec 17, 2013 Neil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Six short stories of Oz, despite the stories being written by L. Frank Baum and illustrated by John R. Neill this is a minor addition to the Oz canon often not counted amongst the other books. Baum is clearly aiming the stories here at a younger audience and unfortunately writing down and preaching more than usual, that said all the stories have flashes of pure Baum humour. Neill's illustrations despite almost all being in colour often lack the detail of his best work.
Susan
May 11, 2013 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
Technically maybe a three plus. This was a quick read with just a handful of stories featuring favorite characters: Scarecrow, Nick Chopper, Tik Tok, etc. Some are a little stronger than others, but though the shorter format seems to bring out more of Baum's didactic side, they're all still pretty entertaining in their own way. "The Scarecrow and Tin Woodman" kind of deviated from the characterization a bit for the sake of slapstick, but it's a pretty minor complaint.
Yvonne Miller
Jun 03, 2014 Yvonne Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good, really enjoyed it.
George
May 31, 2012 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick, fun read. It actually should be read around book 7 or so in the series to fit in chronologically, but I got to it late. Again, there were some inconsistencies with the Oz toward the end of the series (namely the immortality of Oz characters that gradually appeared later in the series). But I had fun reading these short adventures of different Oz citizens.
Rebecca Timberlake
I read this out of order (I think it was supposed to be read between book 7 and book 8), so some things may be plot errors, or they could just be reading it after other things have happened. Either way, There are little things that are inconsistent with the other books. Still, it was a cute little read, and one of the better Oz books in the series, in my opinion.
Therese
Feb 04, 2014 Therese rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die hard Oz fans
$0.0

I'm being generous in giving this book 3 stars because I really wanted to give it 2.5. These are very short stories about some of the interesting characters who inhabit the land of Oz, but there isn't much substance to them and I found them rather silly in stead of intriguing as I have found the original ones.
Jessi
Jun 07, 2013 Jessi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These were a series of cute and punny stories that re-introduced us to the major Oz characters after a 2-year hiatus from writing Oz stories.

My major complaint with the Oz books is standard through all of them--Baum only generally paid attention to his previous writing, so there are some noticeable discrepancies.
  • Captain Salt in Oz (Book 30)
  • The Witch of Clatteringshaws (The Wolves Chronicles, #11)
  • Aunt Jane's Nieces (Aunt Jane's Nieces, #1)
  • The Real Wizard of Oz: The Life and Times of L. Frank Baum
  • Return to Oz
also wrote under the name Edith Van Dyne, Floyd Akers

Lyman Frank Baum was an American author, actor, and independent filmmaker best known as the creator, along with illustrator W. W. Denslow, of one of the most popular books in American children's literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, better known today as simply The Wizard of Oz. He wrote thirteen sequels, nine other fantasy novels, and a pleth
More about L. Frank Baum...

Oz (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1)
  • The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2)
  • Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3)
  • Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)
  • The Road to Oz (Oz, #5)
  • The Emerald City of Oz (Oz, #6)
  • The Patchwork Girl of Oz (Oz, #7)
  • Tik-Tok of Oz (Oz, #8)
  • The Scarecrow of Oz (Oz, #9)
  • Rinkitink in Oz (Oz, #10)