Start by marking “The Accidental Housewife: How to Overcome Housekeeping Hysteria One Task at a Time” as Want to Read:

2.61 of 5 stars 2.61  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  6 reviews
HOUSEKEEPING 101

Accidental Housewife (n): an individual who manages the household unexpectedly, unintentionally, by default, or by chance, with minimal skills, a glass of wine, and little interest in mastering her/his domain.

Once upon a time lived the 1950s housewife who joyfully followed her domestic duties. Today s housewife is anything but traditional, yet some things n

Published May 30th 2006 by Ballantine Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Housewife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accidental Housewife

Christine
It was light hearted, funny and easy to read. What I didn't like about it - her shortcuts. Most of her dinner ideas are just throwing processed foods on a plate, or calling out to some pretty expensive places. I read this before the economy tanked, and even then I couldn't imagine buying some of the things she suggested. It just wasn't a realistic guide in so many ways. Some of the cleaning suggestions were helpful, but instead of giving more eco-friendly ways of doing things, she suggests buyin ...more
Erika
Some funny ideas. Some very helpful tips and tricks. Easy reading with humor. A ton of disposable ideas that I am too eco-obsessed to try. I am amused by her love for pink rubbergloves with black and white polkadot cuffs and a ring around the finger (if you feel the need to get a pair, the website is in her book.) :)
Darlene Hull
A fun book, but as I've already read nearly every book ever written on housework, not a lot new. She does, however have a wine or bar drink suggestion for almost every chore. I guess if you're drunk, housework isn't so painful.
Lissa
I desperately wanted something practical, and she wrote something funny. I work full time and have 2 kids under 4, so her "housewife" jokes were somewhat lost on me.
Corie Spurling
Although I wouldn't do every single thing suggested, I did learn a few things and finally made peace with needing a few gadgets to making cleaning easier.
TheRLPL Rice Lake Public Library
Patron Review:
This book gave me organizational ideas that save time and money at the same time.
Mom
Mom marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Inna Shpitzberg
Inna Shpitzberg marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2013
Felisha
Felisha marked it as to-read
May 23, 2013
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2012
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2011
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 22, 2011
Dana Kashubeck
Dana Kashubeck marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2011
The Ultimate Accidental Housewife: Your Guide to a Clean-Enough House The Accidental Housewife Ultimate Accidental Housewife Once Upon a Recipe