Start by marking “The Accidental Housewife: How to Overcome Housekeeping Hysteria One Task at a Time” as Want to Read:

HOUSEKEEPING 101

Accidental Housewife (n): an individual who manages the household unexpectedly, unintentionally, by default, or by chance, with minimal skills, a glass of wine, and little interest in mastering her/his domain.

Once upon a time lived the 1950s housewife who joyfully followed her domestic duties. Today s housewife is anything but traditional, yet some things n

Published May 30th 2006 by Ballantine Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Housewife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accidental Housewife

Christine
It was light hearted, funny and easy to read. What I didn't like about it - her shortcuts. Most of her dinner ideas are just throwing processed foods on a plate, or calling out to some pretty expensive places. I read this before the economy tanked, and even then I couldn't imagine buying some of the things she suggested. It just wasn't a realistic guide in so many ways. Some of the cleaning suggestions were helpful, but instead of giving more eco-friendly ways of doing things, she suggests buyin ...more
Kate Ditzler
here's what I wanted this book to be: an exploration of the way women become the default housekeepers/managers & how to cope with that unexpected and undesired outcome.

instead, I get trying to be funny tragedy with poor cleaning tips that are useless in an era of Pinterest (to be fair, it was published in 2006, before Pinterest)
Erika
Oct 05, 2008 Erika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some funny ideas. Some very helpful tips and tricks. Easy reading with humor. A ton of disposable ideas that I am too eco-obsessed to try. I am amused by her love for pink rubbergloves with black and white polkadot cuffs and a ring around the finger (if you feel the need to get a pair, the website is in her book.) :)
Darlene Hull
A fun book, but as I've already read nearly every book ever written on housework, not a lot new. She does, however have a wine or bar drink suggestion for almost every chore. I guess if you're drunk, housework isn't so painful.
Corie
Apr 20, 2013 Corie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I wouldn't do every single thing suggested, I did learn a few things and finally made peace with needing a few gadgets to making cleaning easier.
Lissa
May 29, 2012 Lissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I desperately wanted something practical, and she wrote something funny. I work full time and have 2 kids under 4, so her "housewife" jokes were somewhat lost on me.
Susanhayeshotmail.com
Susanhayeshotmail.com rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2009
Shay Leigh
Shay Leigh rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2011
Becky D
Becky D rated it it was ok
Dec 13, 2010
Kelli
Kelli rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2010
Sd
Sd rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it it was ok
May 25, 2014
Gail
Gail rated it it was ok
Jul 22, 2013
Reza
Reza rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2016
Shadow of Death
Shadow of Death rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
May 03, 2011
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was ok
Oct 20, 2013
Valerie
Valerie rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2015
Charity
Charity rated it liked it
May 07, 2009
Mandy
Mandy rated it did not like it
Jan 15, 2008
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2012
TheRLPL Rice Lake Public Library
Patron Review:
This book gave me organizational ideas that save time and money at the same time.
Sandy Citron
Sandy Citron rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
jenn
jenn rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2013
Maggie
Maggie rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2008
Jennifer Greene
Jennifer Greene rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
Margie Kollbocker
Margie Kollbocker rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2010
Melinda
Melinda rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Val
Val marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2007
Krupp
Krupp added it
Mar 07, 2008
Jessi
Jessi marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2008
Deandria
Deandria marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2010
Dana Kashubeck
Dana Kashubeck marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2011
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 22, 2011
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2011
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2011
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2012
Felisha
Felisha marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2012
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2013
Inna
Inna marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Mom
Mom marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Kyra
Kyra marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Veronica Rapp
Veronica Rapp marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015