Start by marking “I Am Not a Psychic!: A Novel” as Want to Read:
I Am Not a Psychic!: A Novel

I Am Not a Psychic!: A Novel

Comedy legend Johnny Leland has called in his chips. He's organizing a charity telethon and needs TV cop Richard Belzer to cohost. Not one to let down an old friend -- much less the guy who gave him his start in stand-up comedy -- The Belz gets ready to head out to Las Vegas for the headlining event when he receives a mysterious phone call.

Twenty-six years ago, beautiful
Published October 6th 2009 by Simon & Schuster (first published September 14th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I Am Not a Psychic!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Not a Psychic!

Rebecca McNutt
I didn't find this book nearly as good as I Am Not a Cop!, but I still liked it and thought it was funny.
Karen
Sep 22, 2015 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Richard Belzer plays a cop on a TV show. When two friends call with separate reasons for him to head west, Belz goes. One friend, whom he hasn't seen in years, wants him in LA to help solve a conspiracy-laden cold case (In real as well as fictional life, Richard Belzer is a conspiracy nut.) The other, an old mentor, needs him in Vegas to assist in writing and working on a telethon. Belz sets up in Vegas and heads out to LA. Before he gets there, however, his friend is killed. Though Belz wants t ...more
Joe Juarez
Sep 07, 2012 Joe Juarez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two words describes Richard Belzer's personality, smart ass. In "I'm Not A Psychic," he uses his smart ass tactics to help a distraught woman solve a two decade old murder mystery in a city where smart asses are free to speak freely while inebriated, Las Vegas.

The plot's simple: Richard Belzer travels to Las Vegas to meet up with a few old stand-up comic buddies for a benefit. But instead of preparing for jokes and punchlines, Belzer is met with a situation that could have possibly required the
Tracy
Dec 05, 2009 Tracy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Belz needs to stick with acting (Det. Munch on Law & Order: SVU). This story is set in Las Vegas with a long dead glamor star (ala Marilyn Monroe) who was having an affair with an influential politician (JFK) from an influential political family (Kennedys) and who may have been killed via a conspiracy related to that family, possibly involving organized crime. A long ago team of a suave singer (Dean Martin) and comedian (Jerry Lewis) haven't spoken since a split due to the comedian growing i ...more
Susan
Nov 13, 2009 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-nevada
Actor and artial arts buff Richard Belzer is asked to appear at a telethon in Las Vegas by his mentor and good friend comic Johnny Lyman. At the same time, he gets a call from an old friend who is now investigating the mysterious death of a Hollywood starlet decades ago. When the friend is killed before Belzer can meet with him, the friend's self-described psychic informant descends on Belzer's Las Vegas hotel and demands his help. The body count climbs until the Belz himself is under threat.
Jessica
Having read "I Am Not a Cop!" I knew what to expect as Richard Belzer turns his real life into a fictional one. This was a good read, but I think setting it in Vegas caused a loss in authenticity. Belz in New York I believe. Belz in Vegas is a bit out there. Especially when he just happens to know a photographer who just happens to be replicating a 20+ year old photo shoot, etc. I liked it, but I like the first book more.
Wendy
This was disappointing. I wasn't expecting great literature or anything, but it was a bit overindulgent and a lot of that Belzer wit actually felt kind of nasty. I especially was annoyed with the makeover bit. You'll understand if you read the book -- don't want to write a spoiler here. Would I recommend it? Well, if you like Belzer and a light read, and not a lot of required thinking you probably would. If you tend to be a feminist you might prefer to skip it.
Valerie
Mar 25, 2016 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed for ALA's "Booklist" magazine -- appears in the October 15, 2009 issue. If you have a subscription, you can read my review at BooklistOnline.com at: http://www.booklistonline.com/I-Am-No...
Mark Isaak
Good characters, but the plot is contrived; the major events happen because the scriptwriter wants them to happen, not because they are what the characters or situation would dictate. Few of Belzer's wisecracks are funny, so humor does not help the book at all.
Susan
Mar 20, 2010 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like your mysteries easy to read this is for you. The story is not bad and I found it entertaining.
Anita
Dec 21, 2009 Anita rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't finish it. I initially thought that using your own name in a work of fiction was an interesting change, but I decided I didn't like it.
Jen
Nov 17, 2009 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining enough, but required a huge suspension of disbelief. I found the female protagonist to be extremely unlikeable.
Rebekkila
Oct 05, 2012 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Karen Kenney
Sep 29, 2015 Karen Kenney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who knew the guy could write too? I liked it, could have done without the cursing, but it fit the character.
Brandon
A light, entertaining page-turner from the Belz. There is a lot of the Belzer wit in this semi-plausible mystery.
Jenny Cunningham
Jenny Cunningham rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2010
Farfoff
Farfoff rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2009
Kme_17
Kme_17 rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Marla Schwartz
Marla Schwartz rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2012
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2016
Joy
Joy rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Jim H
Jim H rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2012
Jana
Jana rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2010
David Horsman
David Horsman rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2012
Monica Cheatwood
Monica Cheatwood rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2015
Albert Belcher
Albert Belcher rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2013
Pam
Pam rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2011
Joyce
Joyce rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Vengeance (Lew Fonesca, #1)
  • Love Me, Cowboy: The Copper Mountain Rodeo Anthology (Copper Mountain Rodeo, #1-4)
  • No Hero
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Loving Our Dogs: Heartwarming and Humorous Stories about our Companions and Best Friends
  • Promise from a Cowboy (Coffee Creek, Montana #3)
  • A Drop of Chinese Blood (Inspector O, #5)
  • A Little Bit of Holiday Magic
  • A Cowboy For Christmas (Copper Mountain Christmas #1; The Scott Brothers of Montana #1)
  • Take Me, Cowboy (Copper Mountain Rodeo, #4)
  • Wolf Tales 10 (Wolf Tales #10)
  • The Music of the Spheres
  • The National Parks: America's Best Idea
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents The Prosecution Rests: New Stories about Courtrooms, Criminals, and the Law
  • A Year of Cats and Dogs
  • Setting Limits: How to Raise Responsible, Independent Children by Providing CLEAR Boundaries
  • What Your Fifth Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Fifth-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series)
  • Cinderella's Cowboy (This Old House #4)
  • Wicked Ways
Belzer is the author of four books, the last two of which were a crime fiction series co-written with Michael Black that featured Belzer as the mystery-solving protagonist. I’m Not a Cop, the first of the two, was published in 2008, followed by the sequel, I’m Not a Psychic, in 2009. Belzer penned UFOs, JFK and Elvis: Conspiracies You Don’t Have to Be Crazy to Believe in 2000, and co-authored How ...more
More about Richard Belzer...