Start by marking “Deception” as Want to Read:
Deception

Deception

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  6,224 Ratings  ·  188 Reviews
From Seduction to Surrender and Reckless to Ravished, New York Times bestselling author Amanda Quick has spun one thrilling love story after another. Now, in her long-awaited hardcover debut, she introduces her most endearing heroine and compelling hero, in a dazzling, daring tale of lost pirate gold and legendary love... Deception.
Published November 24th 2009 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deception

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
I am a believer that romance novels should NOT be hilarious when the hero and the heroine are finally getting it on. Unless it's a rom-com/chick-lit book.

So imagine my surprise when I start reading this book and so far it's ok. The prose is a little ... high drama for me and the heroine is flightier than a hummingbird on crack, but the plot seems like it may redeem the heroine's character flaws and the hero's brooding ways.

Then I get to the scene where Olympia and Jared kiss and I have to shake
Wealhtheow
Apr 29, 2010 Wealhtheow rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wealhtheow by: seperis
Immensely wealthy viscount falls in love with scholarly, absent-minded lady, poses as the tutor of her 3 unruly nephews, and has sex with her, all in the first fifty pages. The rest of the book is a slap-dash whirl of euphemistic sex scenes, non-sensical schemes, and laughable dialog and characterization. The one point in this book's favor is that it has not one, but two lesbian couples, both of whom live perfectly nice lives and are perfectly ordinary, nice people. But don't be drawn in by the ...more
Heather
Dec 12, 2011 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-novels
Over-heated prose and a campy story line -- both which I can deal with. What I can't deal with is the one-eyed hero. That's right. One eye. Given how much of romance involves "the look in his eyes" -- melting, smoldering, glacial, hawk-like, etc. (all dependent on whether or not he's making love or felling bad guys) -- this presents some challenges. The look in his eye is just not going to cut it. AQ settles for things like the "fierce light in his one-eyed gaze." Enh. I don't know. In a (romanc ...more
Avon Gale
I'm incapable of writing reviews for Amanda Quick/Jayne Anne Krentz books because OMG LOVE, so this is no exception.

But here's a thing -- I've been reading romance since I was twelve, and JAK/AQ's books were among my very favorite. I bought some in hardcover with my allowance, okay, I loved them.

And this book had a very positive portrayal of not one, but TWO f/f relationships within the story. I didn't understand at the time why that was important, because I didn't really get that I was bisexu
namericanwordcat
Utterly charming. We have a bookish heroine, a dog, three busy boys, and a rakish yet stuff hero.

There are all sorts of hidden gems of delight in this ruckus adventure romance.

Most profoundly, it shows characters who are open minded and good hearted and yet fierce in their love.

Cyndi
Jan 30, 2012 Cyndi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As many know, Quick has a standard formula for her early novels - spunky, intelligent heroine meets dark, brooding man that needs to her "liven him up." The hero also usually has A Past. This book did not deviate from that formula, and while I enjoyed other books that fit this mold (see Ravished and Seduction), I did not care for this one.
First of all, the dialogue is ridiculous. "Sing for me siren," Jared always says when he and Olympia are in intimate situations. I counted Jared's use of "sir
Pamela Shropshire
I had always remembered this as one of my favorite OS AQ titles, but I must confess I didn't love it as much this time as I remembered. The dialogue between the H/h was overblown, especially when contrasted with the witty banter of Dangerous which I read most recently.

I still love the storyline (the secret identity is one of my favorite tropes; bluestocking heroine is another - and who DOESN'T love a legend about a golden phallus ???) and the characters (I do adore Mrs. Bird, the mouthy houseke
Mo
Re-read March 27, 2017

I consider books of this ilk to be one of my "guilty pleasures". It was just as enjoyable as ever.
Elaine
Nov 01, 2014 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I expected better from this author. It took a while to get through this and I was tempted to rate it a 2.
Coyora Dokusho
The kids were cute!

I lol'd!

If I see the word siren again my brain will explode.

also, ye gads, the overwrought prose...
Jessica Wimberly
Kristen
Aug 02, 2012 Kristen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was an "okay" book. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great.

Olympia is an eccectric spinster [of 25] who fancies herself a "woman of the world" because she was raised by a pair of aunts who gave her a good education and encouraged her to expand her mind. As a result, she is known as somewhat of an expert on lost treasures in the Society she participates in mostly by post.

Olympia also is the guardian of her 3 boisterous nephews, paying it forward for being taken in herself when she was orpha
Zana
This was a real disappointment. I was thrilled to find that Amanda Quick's early work had been made into audiobooks -- but if the rest are like this, I won't bother.

It started out promising: the hero's superpower is that he is super-organized! This is an awesome superpower to have.

But then the heroine is a completely flighty mess, and then the hero starts being stupid and controlling and oh yeah, everything he tells the heroine is a lie (see the title) but when she finds out she isn't upset at a
Julie
On audio, narrated by Anne Flosnik who did a creditable job, but her voice for the hero, Jared Chillhurst sounded so gravelly all the time, as if she was trying to give it this smoldering, passion infused inflection, but to my ears it just made him sound older than he's really supposed to be, IMHO. Maybe it's just me.

Olympia, the heroine is another one of Quick's learned, bluestocking types who is clueless when it comes to social niceties because she's so wrapped up in her studies. No shy, wilti
Kathleen
Olympia Wingfield is an adorable "bluestocking" heroine -- always lost in a book, tracking down ancient legends and long-lost treasures. Suddenly, three rascally nephews invade her home. Life becomes more challenging, but then, hard on their heels comes Jared Chillhurst, claiming to be a tutor. Sure. A tutor with the bearing of a nobleman -- or a pirate, given his eyepatch.

Chilhurst wins the boys' hearts -- and Olympia's too -- with rich tales of exotic lands and buried treasure.

But Mr. Chillh
Melissa
Sep 09, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really 3.5

This was a quick fun read. I forgot how much fun romance books can be - it has been a while since I've read strictly a romance novel.

I enjoyed the interaction with the characters, the plot, and the story telling. The writing was smooth and fun, easy to read. It was an enjoyable book and I will be picking up more of this author's work in the future.
DeB MaRtEnS
Independent heroine with a voice and mind of her own challenges the man of the tale, and against all odds, saves the day, solves the puzzles and leaves a lover breathless. Old fashioned and delightful Amanda Quick.
Olga Godim
Jan 30, 2013 Olga Godim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A reread. I smiled all the way. Not that the book is funny - no it's not. It's a classic romance, but I smiled from the sheer pleasure of reading the old friend and enjoying it once again. It's like an old, favorite, comfy blanket. It might be slightly unraveling from age, but you still love it.
Molly
Lovely, steamy romance, foiled in a few different miseries (one of them was a complete surprise to me) - a well written plot with original, complicated and flashed out characters - the perfect Sunday afternoon distraction.
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
One big meh. There were multiple things to like in this book, like Olympia's three nephews, but also so many discouraging things. Nothing ever happened to make me like the book in a 3 stars way, so it's 2 stars for being ok, but nothing I'd rec or re-read. Not the best of Amanda Quick at all.
LibraryLass
Mar 23, 2008 LibraryLass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper, books-i-own, 2008, 2011
As usual an excellent read. Amanda Quick is my comfort read and she never fails to give me a story I enjoy no matter how many times I re-read them. In fact she is one of only 3 or 4 authors I will actually re-read as I have far too many books waiting for me to explore.
Debbie Dodd
Sep 05, 2016 Debbie Dodd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.
Hasnamezied
This was a very boring book. Sorry I cant continue reading it.
Sally Ember
Some nice twists at the end and it passed the time while driving. Quite repetitive and the narration got downright melodramatic, but, heh, it's a gothic romantic suspense, so what do we expect?
Cynthia
Jun 26, 2009 Cynthia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. Boring and so over the top. Could have been really charming, but it was so clumsy.
Serena Miles
Feb 01, 2017 Serena Miles rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mira que me gusta esta autora, pero este libro es de esos aburridos que no me han enganchado en ningun momento

2/10
Pam H
Jared Ryder, Chillhurst, passes himself off as a tutor because he is instantly taken with Olympia, an admitted bluestocking, who has taken charge of her three nephews. She finds Jared, a dashing man who lost an eye in the process of rescuing his cousins, to be something dreams are made of. She fancies herself a woman of the world, spends her time studying maps and looking for signs of hidden treasure. So Jared looking more like a pirate than a Viscount fits nicely into her idea of perfect man.
Rhonda Soukup
This was one of Quick's best stories as far as the mystery plot goes. Female character's hobby is ancient legends and hidden treasures. She gets hold of a diary that she decodes to try to find a missing treasure. Male character's family is the owner of said treasure and he disguises himself as a tutor to her 3 nephews to get into her household and to get a hold of the diary/teasure location.
Iary
Jun 30, 2013 Iary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-hours-tops, romance
Deception by Amanda Quick… aka “Ms. Wingfield and the Pirate Nanny”
(view spoiler)
Kutu Buku
Feb 19, 2017 Kutu Buku rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
took a way one star because the heroine came to be a teeny weeny toooo nice so its came a bit annoying to my taste.
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Deception (1993) 1 2 Sep 27, 2012 11:57AM
  • Hidden Talents
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • Dancing on the Wind (Fallen Angels, #2)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni
More about Amanda Quick...