Start by marking “Move Your Stuff, Change Your Life: How to Use Feng Shui to Get Love, Money, Respect and Happiness” as Want to Read:

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  541 ratings  ·  85 reviews
An essential and accessible guide to increasing happiness, improving your financial well-being, and bettering your health through the timeless Chinese art of feng shui.

Promising health, wealth, and happiness, feng shui offers endless appeal—at least in concept. Unfortunately, feng shui’s seemingly complicated methods are often difficult to learn and app
Published January 6th 2000 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Move Your Stuff, Change Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Move Your Stuff, Change Your Life

Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui by Karen KingstonMove Your Stuff, Change Your Life by Karen Rauch CarterBless My Kindle by Jamie DownhamFeng Shui by Sarah O'ConnellFeng Shui Your Life by Jayme Barrett
Feng Shui
2nd out of 8 books — 9 voters
The World At Large by Adam E. MehaffeyThe Dust by Jonathan LynchBe The Best You Can Be by Michael BThe Last Lecture by Randy PauschThe Systems View of Life by Fritjof Capra
Most inspiring Nonfiction
100th out of 331 books — 376 voters

More lists with this book...

Creative Choices
Ok this is the longest Review I have written as I am very passionate about it due to my personal experience with it - so please bare with me. If you are interested in Feng Shui it may be worth the read. Please note parts of this review are copied from other similar titles I have reviewed.

First for the actual book at hand - "Move Your Stuff, Change Your Life". This is one of the first books I read when I began reading about Feng Shui. I was very taken by the ease of use and the concept of making
Diana
I have bought this book seven times at this point, partially because it makes a great housewarming gift, but mainly because everytime I loan it out, it never makes it back to me.

This book is concise, fun to read, well-organized, and helpful. Details and anecdotes are included but it never gets too confusing or esoteric. You don't even need to read it chronologically since each chapter stands enough on its own that you can skip around to the specific issues you want to address with feng shui "too
kasifrass
My mother gave this book to me as a "Yay! You're moving out of my house!" gift about 8 years ago. I have since moved three more times and this book is always my guide. Not only is the writing friendly, casual, and entertaining, it's always relevant because every house is different. My husband (whom I met shortly after rearranging the laundry room that comprised my then-Love and Relationships gua... coincidence?) and I will be first-time homeowners in about a month (I'm sure the keys sitting in o ...more
May
Ok I have nothing but great things to say about this book. It has worked for me and my friends. It is straight forward for beginners who know little to none about feng shui. If you are feeling stuck in your life and need to get good energy flowing, you need this book.

I am not exaggerating when I say it changed my life. Coincidence or not, here's my story. Back in 2010 I was jobless for 6 months. I applied to numerous jobs and NEVER got a call back. I somehow stumbled onto this book and decided
Katherine Chinelli
I call this book my "Feng Shui" bible. Although there are many books on Feng Shui and many styles of Feng Shui, this is the one that has made the most sense and been the easiest to comprehend and follow. This one has led me to the most awesome changes in my life.

Ms. Rauch Carter writes like she's a friend talking to you and giving you advice. I wasn't a huge fan of Feng Shui before I read her book. In fact, I had this book for a few years before I even really got into it. It wasn't until I want
This is THE book to get when starting out with Feng Shui. I too have bought many copies because I keep giving mine to friends. Karen makes it easy to apply these principles to your life. Don't hesitate. Get it!
Tiffany Young
This was a great intro into Feng shui. Several years ago, I was really into reading about Feng shui, but had not really practiced it in a while. When I found this book at Half Price Books last week, I decided it might be time to revisit it.
If you're not familiar with the concept, Feng shui is all about placing things in your home with intention in order to have the best outcomes in your life in terms of money, love, fame, health, etc. it also teaches about creating space for energy to flow in an
Gone Readin'
This book is a quick and easy to read that I would happily recommend to beginner feng shui practitioner. Proper feng shui is a term borrowed from the Chinese that is used to purposefully arrange ALL YOUR STUFF around you to gain positive results. Everything that happens in your life is part of nine categories or situations (prosperity, fame and reputation, relationships and love, family, health, creativity and children, skills and knowledge, career, and helpful people and travel), and these can ...more
Theresa Cizanne
If you've ever wanted to learn how to feng shui your home and office, this is the easiest and most practical book I've seen. From the exercises to the simple explanations of energy, the bagua, and associations for each gua, you will be able to change the energy in your surroundings in a day. I did this and visitors noticed a big difference right away! It's paperback, only 233 pages in well organized and simple sections, so it's a quick read.
Rebecca
This book is a great practical primer for basic feng shui. I have not had a lot of experience with feng shui prior to reading this (as in, I've only encountered it in passing--via friends who are into it or watching YouTube pointer videos), and I note it does not include some feng shui remedies I've read about or heard about elsewhere (so it's not exhaustive, but I also get the vibe that there are various feng shui philosophies out there), but the book does cover each of the gua and give not-ove ...more
Renee M
Funny, charming look at some Feng Sui basics with a healthy dose of the power of positive thinking. I refer to it all the time when I need a little boost or a bit of reorganizing.
Diana Lowrie
Simple, clear and easy read. I love this as a intro to feng shui. Such a great read you want to start taking action as soon as you read a chapter.
Beneth
Actually, I have finished it. It's funny and spells out the concepts. I became somewhat obsessed with completing it after I began. It's a whole little system of what goes where and why. Very intriguing. After I feng-shui'd my apartment using it, I was somewhat disallusioned to hear from a friend of mine who studies "classic feng shui" that what is really more important than the placement on the bagua map relative to the front door is placement based on North, South, West and East. I am dismayed ...more
Rebecca
I gave this a cursory reading in Borders last night and have not stopped laughing since. Some of the ideas I love, and some... well... ?? I'm just not sure how placing a square earthenware bowl of fruit in my shoe closet will improve my health. Although at this point it would give me a good laugh! And the whole bit with my ch'i (life force) falling through the cracks in my spiral staircase or being taken out with the trash leaves me wondering. But over all some interesting ideas. Just let me say ...more
Keshia
This is a good book that serves as an introduction to Feng Shui offering cures, explanations and the occasional, yet whimsical off beat attempt at humor that doesn't always read well. The explanations are balanced with Feng Shui cures for your home that can be easily implemented with many things that one may already have on hand. Well organized with a summary at the end of each chapter makes thumbing through the chapters a cinch. There are also a number of affirmations included which helps inten ...more
Katrina
This book is pretty interesting. It is a reference I maintain.
Emily
This book is pretty cheesy sometimes, but I love her approach to feng shui and the way she writes about changing things in your house as a way of bringing your own attention to what you want in life. This isn't about moving your furniture or pure woo-woo magic.

It was also a pretty good review for me of five element theory and the associations with each element. Dovetailed nicely with some of what I'm learning in my Intro to Eastern class which is the first in our Shiatsu series.
Lauren
It was an enjoyable read. She adds humor to it, so it was fun to read. It had helpful information. It is all about intention!
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Despite the rather flip title, this fantastic book is a serious but very readable introduction to feng shui. Designed to be used immediately, it offers fantastic suggestions for getting started and inexpensive ways to get your whole house in alignment -- especially if your home is part of an apartment building, etc. I can't recommend this book enough -- it's my go-to guide for feng shui and I'm always referring to it!
Sunny
There are other Feng Shui things I have learned from videos, etc. that are helpful as well. I think this is a good guide to start out with and gives a general idea of how to feng shui your house. I would read the whole thing before I start applying things.

This is more like a manual and therefore I keep it around the house and refer back to it when I need help and think I can use it.
Natalie
I liked this one less than the Dummies and the Room by Room guide, but I still liked this one quite a bit. Because she approaches it on a sector by sector basis, she doesn't dive into "if this room is in this sector do this" sorts of stuff, which I would be interested in, but still a good easy read for an easy start.
Maya
Loved this book the first dozen times I read it. It's helped a lot through several different living situations. Now I'm reading it again as I paint and swap some rooms and I'm finding myself frustrated. Guess it is time to move on to more in depth study. Excellent book for beginners and people short on time. The author has a wonderful sense if humor.
Stacey Couch
I love this book! I have improved my prosperity, helped my reputation at work and so many other things over the course of the 8 years that I have had this reference as my companion. Many of the people I have recommended it to have also benefited. Such a great, humorous way to see what steps you can take to improve your life!
C.J. Heck
I've bought (and then sold in a yard sale) a lot of books on "how to use Feng Shui" in my home. The only one I have found to be easy to understand, easy to put into use, and a book I will always keep and refer to, is this one.

If you also feel at peace when your home is properly balanced, I recommend this book.
Lisadecorates
Since I bought this book in 2007 I used to so many times that the pages are falling out. I recommend it to everyone I converse about Feng Shui with. It is easy to understand and apply right away. I can relate countless stories about how I have applied this information through the years with just this one book.
Colleen Wainwright
Best book on feng shui I've found, and a heap of fun, to boot. There is a lot of corny writing, but it's so earnest, I don't mind. This is a terrific tool for unsticking yourself, relieving yourself of obsessions, and generating creative solutions—it works, and you get a groovy new living space, to boot.
Licia
One of my favorite books. I return to it frequently. One of the best explanations of the basic principles of Black Hat Feng Shui. The title sounds like self-help fluff, but it's actually very thorough and well organized, and it works! I was drawn to practice Feng Shui because of this book.
Alisa
Easier to understand than most feng shui books and very specific examples. There are several areas of feng shui that I felt were unexplored in this book. Not sure if I'm on board with all of this but it was nice to understand it a little better since I've heard so much about it.
Teri
Sep 03, 2008 Teri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This book definitely changed my life. I kid you not.....once I read this book and began clearing the clutter from our place, things started changing. I also applied a few of the techniques to certain areas of the home and not long after, things started happening. For real.
Baron Van Radabaugh
Makes feng shui approachable. An easy read that also has a bit of humor to it. Spent the day reading it and beefing up the career and prosperity sections of the house. Interestingly enough, the messiest room/place that needs most work is the relationship/love section.
  • The Western Guide to Feng Shui: Room by Room
  • Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui
  • Feng Shui Your Life
  • Creating a Charmed Life: Sensible, Spiritual Secrets Every Busy Woman Should Know
  • Altars: Bringing Sacred Shrines into Your Everyday Life
  • Complete Illustrated Guide – Feng Shui
  • The World of the Celts
  • Magical Housekeeping: Simple Charms & Practical Tips for Creating a Harmonious Home
  • Power of the Witch
  • The Witches' Craft: The Roots of Witchcraft & Magical Transformation
  • Developing Intuition: Practical Guidance for Daily Life
  • The One-Minute Organizer Plain & Simple: 500 Tips for Getting Your Life in Order
  • Love on a Rotten Day: An Astrological Survival Guide to Romance
  • Whispers from the Woods: The Lore & Magic of Trees
  • Fire in the Heart: A Spiritual Guide for Teens
  • In the Shadow of the Shaman: Connecting with Self, Nature, and Spirit
  • Physical Computing: Sensing and Controlling the Physical World with Computers
  • Santeria: African Spirits in America
Karen Rauch Carter is a professional feng shui educator,consultant, and the best- selling author of Move Your Stuff, Change Your Life. She coaches, trains, and empowers people to use simple and advanced feng shui techniques to enrich and improve all areas of their lives.

Karen has over 20 years of experience studying and implementing methods and modalities that produce consistent, and some say mira
More about Karen Rauch Carter...
Make A Shift, Change Your Life: Simple Solutions to Transform Your Life From Drab to Fab Now! Creative in Business: Move Your Stuff, Change Your Life - Interview with Karen Rauch Carter